Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Way of the Bow:A Chosokabe AAR-(Updated Chapter XXXXII 30/9)

Default Re: Way of the Bow:A Chosokabe AAR-(Updated Chapter XXI 31/12)

As long as it doesn't become George RR Martin levels of sexual activity this AAR is fine to me.

But Yuki has too many ambitions, sure, it's normal but still, he has lost a trusted ally, vespa samurai wants his head and there is his ambition, his only hope is that Sorin helps him or to run away, Spain sounds far enough, sun, beach, paella hasn't been invented yet but sangria has so it's all good, some holidays out of this ceaseless war can only do good.

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

You're asking that question of the guy who has had sexual content within any number of his AARs? Man, you crazy!

No, in all seriousness though, you can look forward to some samurai lovin' in my Hojo AAR and, as for Way of the Bow, I think you should write whatever you feel like. You write for you, all we can do is give you our views and opinions, but it's really your choice whether you follow it.

In conclusion, I'm happy with your entire AAR thus far. Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    An excellent chapter! The dialogue conveys the powerful emotions brilliantly. I like the use of the tree stumps to illustrate the dangers of standing too tall in a world of 'rotten politics'. (My only question is whether, in the opening sentence, a point of view character would describe his own tone as pompous - perhaps he would, if he was reflecting on the conversation afterwards). You asked whether readers think your story has become too sexual - for what it's worth, I don't think it has.
    Thank you for the kind words, you make a good point about the opening sentence and I might change it, thanks for pointing it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitai de Bodemloze View Post
    I know he's not a bad guy, but he's in Motochika's camp, which puts him at odds with Yuki (at least for the moment). I just think it's really cool

Hmm, that's a tough one. Depends on how you want to define 'too sexual'. It's definitely one of the most striking and unique features of the story, and has been for quite a long time. It's not too sexual inasmuch that it's off-putting, but it is coming to be one of the defining aspects of the story, at least in my eyes. I don't consider it a bad thing (on the contrary, I feel it pushes boundaries in the context of AARtistry here), I've just come to expect it as normal.
    I just think that sex can be really a good device to create characters and plots and such and I think it is quite under used here in the AAR forums. I remember reading Swaeft's AARs and they had sexual bits in it and I remember thinking that it worked well in AARs because its a way to add power too some female characters and make them important.

Quote Originally Posted by Asdrubaal View Post
    As long as it doesn't become George RR Martin levels of sexual activity this AAR is fine to me.

But Yuki has too many ambitions, sure, it's normal but still, he has lost a trusted ally, vespa samurai wants his head and there is his ambition, his only hope is that Sorin helps him or to run away, Spain sounds far enough, sun, beach, paella hasn't been invented yet but sangria has so it's all good, some holidays out of this ceaseless war can only do good.
    It's funny you mention George RR Martin because it's aSoIaF which has really shown me how it can be used to make characters interesting, to show faults and that they are humans. Also, you sound a bit like a walking Spanish holiday advertisement.

Well, seeing that our govenrment has decided to transform our country into some sort of country sized balneary and touristic monster all I can do is try to get some people to come and drop some money.

I liked aSoIaF but can't read the Dance with dragons one, I just got tired of it, and the overexageration of it just made it worse, I have nothing against it being famous but some statements I heard about it just turned aSoIaF and it's author a ridiculous thing in my eyes, too much of "oooh, he is so great because he has so many different branchies of the story, and doesn't care about killing a character and nobody is safe and goes against stereotypes", it ended up as some overrated blob I stopped enjoying, funny thing is I've seen like two or three books that had some quote from George RR Martin saying "oh, this one is the true Game of Thrones" so the whole thing sorroundind the author just became weird blob of Ridicully, not the least bit of Mustrum sadly.

Well, seeing that our govenrment has decided to transform our country into some sort of country sized balneary and touristic monster all I can do is try to get some people to come and drop some money.

I liked aSoIaF but can't read the Dance with dragons one, I just got tired of it, and the overexageration of it just made it worse, I have nothing against it being famous but some statements I heard about it just turned aSoIaF and it's author a ridiculous thing in my eyes, too much of "oooh, he is so great because he has so many different branchies of the story, and doesn't care about killing a character and nobody is safe and goes against stereotypes", it ended up as some overrated blob I stopped enjoying, funny thing is I've seen like two or three books that had some quote from George RR Martin saying "oh, this one is the true Game of Thrones" so the whole thing sorroundind the author just became weird blob of Ridicully, not the least bit of Mustrum sadly.
    On the contrary, A Dance with Dragons was perhaps my favourite one of the series or at least my second favourite one. I liked how it turned away from Westerns and focused a bit more on the Free Cities, something I felt was refreshing. Perhaps a bit of the praise is over exaggerated but on the whole I agree with a lot of the praise for the series, it's definitely up there with LOTR in the fantasy genre I think.

Ok guys, I've had this little project going for a bit. Since some of you asked for a map and an updated character list I've done both things but probably I've overdone it.

Firstly, is a map. I've started on a map of just Kyushu, with major buildings and castles. I've gone for a fantasy feel for the map and after quite a bit of photoshopping I've come up with something I love and I hope you do to. This map is basically the final version. Southern Honshu and Shikoku are in the making.

Kyushu Map

Second is an updated character list. After a lot of annoying research, I've come up with a family tree for all the noble families that are vassals to the Otomo. I'll post this soon. Hopefully this will give you an indication of who's who and what not. Same thing will be done for the Chosokabe vassals.

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant of Venice View Post
    On the contrary, A Dance with Dragons was perhaps my favourite one of the series or at least my second favourite one. I liked how it turned away from Westerns and focused a bit more on the Free Cities, something I felt was refreshing. Perhaps a bit of the praise is over exaggerated but on the whole I agree with a lot of the praise for the series, it's definitely up there with LOTR in the fantasy genre I think.

A bit late here, about to take a look at the map of yours!

In my opinion ASOIAF surpasses Tolkien's LOTR (Not the Silmarillion, the Silmarillion was just . . . its basically deity level awesome.)

Which of the ASOIAF books in the series is your favourite? Personally, I prefer Steel and Snow and Blood and Gold to the other ones, I just liked the political downfall of the Starks.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Personally, I like the fact that the Starks died. Honestly, Robb couldn't have won the war (going from the books, in the TV series I believe it might have been possible.) even with the help of the Freys. He had what, four? Three? Thousand soldiers at the Twins. I realise he was a skilled tactician, as was the Blackfish. But so was Tywin Lannister, and he had the numerical advantage as well. Everything was against the Starks.

EDIT. TEACH ME HOW TO PHOTOSHOP! The map looks awesome mate! I think you've done a fantastic job!

Thanks

Tigellinus

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

Quote Originally Posted by Tigellinus View Post
    A bit late here, about to take a look at the map of yours!

In my opinion ASOIAF surpasses Tolkien's LOTR (Not the Silmarillion, the Silmarillion was just . . . its basically deity level awesome.)

Which of the ASOIAF books in the series is your favourite? Personally, I prefer Steel and Snow and Blood and Gold to the other ones, I just liked the political downfall of the Starks.

Personally, I like the fact that the Starks died. Honestly, Robb couldn't have won the war (going from the books, in the TV series I believe it might have been possible.) even with the help of the Freys. He had what, four? Three? Thousand soldiers at the Twins. I realise he was a skilled tactician, as was the Blackfish. But so was Tywin Lannister, and he had the numerical advantage as well. Everything was against the Starks.

EDIT. TEACH ME HOW TO PHOTOSHOP! The map looks awesome mate! I think you've done a fantastic job!

Thanks

Tigellinus
    Thank you, I could PM you a sort of tutorial, it's not that hard at, just a bit of work.

Also don't read the below spoiler if you haven't finished all of the books of aSoIaF

My favourites are either A Game of Thrones or A Dance with Dragons. A Game of Thrones simply because it was the first one and the shock of Ned's death will always haunt me. A Dance with Dragons because, as I said in a previous post, it focused more on the Free Cities and the Wall and all the plot lines and developments in that are what have really gotten me excited for the next book. It also focused a lot on Tyrion, who is by far my favourite character.I personally thought the Starks could have won the war, because I'm fairly sure he only took a small portion of his troops to the Twins and a lot of them were south, closer to Casterly Rock. In the TV show it seemed like he was going to, considering his wife's idea to take Casterly Rock. While I should have expected it, I was still like that did not just happen. But the other wedding made up for it.

Also, forgot to mention, the next chapter will be uploaded today or tomorrow and will focus on Tawara Chikakata.

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant of Venice View Post
    Thank you, I could PM you a sort of tutorial, it's not that hard at, just a bit of work.

Also don't read the below spoiler if you haven't finished all of the books of aSoIaF

My favourites are either A Game of Thrones or A Dance with Dragons. A Game of Thrones simply because it was the first one and the shock of Ned's death will always haunt me. A Dance with Dragons because, as I said in a previous post, it focused more on the Free Cities and the Wall and all the plot lines and developments in that are what have really gotten me excited for the next book. It also focused a lot on Tyrion, who is by far my favourite character.I personally thought the Starks could have won the war, because I'm fairly sure he only took a small portion of his troops to the Twins and a lot of them were south, closer to Casterly Rock. In the TV show it seemed like he was going to, considering his wife's idea to take Casterly Rock. While I should have expected it, I was still like that did not just happen. But the other wedding made up for it.

Also, forgot to mention, the next chapter will be uploaded today or tomorrow and will focus on Tawara Chikakata.
    Awesome, thanks! That would certainly be helpful!

Ned's death was the second saddest moment in the entire series for me. I don't cry, but I put the book down and couldn't read it for a day after that. I was actually glad that Jon died, I hope hes dead, he needs to stay dead. Think about it, Jon was foolish. He was turning his allies into foes, trying to manipulate his enemies to become his friends. He was breaking his vows as a member of the Nights Watch, and basically forced a number of his brothers to do it as well, before he ended up being stabbed to death. I'm just really glad he died. His character fell short for me after a small while.

Oh, and the Starks are doomed, Bran's paralyzed down below, and so shouldn't (shouldn''t being the subject here, there is the possibility he can still get a woman pregnant.) be able to have kids. Which leaves three year old Rickon, and won't he just make a great dad. The Starks are doomed.

Tyrion is the best character! He'll die in Winds of Winter, mark my words! I call it!

Oh, and the most sorrowful moment was teh Red Wedding. It was ridiculous for me, I missed Catelyn's chapter,right? (I swear I have some semblance of intelligence) And so I was reading Jaime's chapter. AND suddenly "He had tried to explain to her why the Red Wedding happened, and how the Starks died." And I remember thinking. ""Hold on, what? What happened?" Then I was frantically going back and realised I''d missed an ENTIRE chapter! I read the chapter, and after Catelyn died I put the book down and just stared at my wall for thirty minutes.

I love ASOIAF only story that has ever made me truly care about characters.

Oh, and about the sexual content in Way of the Bow continue as it is! It is a nice addition to the whole story and brings one more connection between the reader and the characters, It is also a useful device to be used for connecting other characters with each other!

Personally, I won''t put sexual content in my writing. I just wouldn't know how but it is a nice addition to your story!

Thanks

Tigellinus

EDIT. If I recall correctly Robb had six thousand cavalry with him (at the beginning of the War of the Five Kings) and had around four or so thousand left when he was at the Twins. When Bolton brought along three thousand or so men. Assuming Bolton had been loyal and such and the Red Wedding never happened and the Starks and Freys were joined once more, the 'Stark' Host would have consisted of around seven or eight thousand Northmen, along with two or so thousand Rivermen, and then four thousand from the Twins. (Or three, respectively he had the same amount of soldiers as the Karstarks and Umbers, but I cannot remember whether or not it was four or three thousand.) And so the entire host Robb would have had would have been thirteen to fourteen thousand strong.

So, you're correct, the Starks could have won the war. Numerically they would have been almost equal with Tywin Lannister, however, the addition of the Tyrells would have stomped him out, I do believe. Admittedly, the above is going from memory (although I pride myself on remembering most of the facts, I've read ASOIAF series six times )

That was a long edit, I apologize! Its nearly four am here in Auckland. I should probably sleep.
    Last edited by Tigellinus; January 10, 2015 at 08:48 AM.

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

Chapter XXII- His father’s heir

1559- Mid-summer

Tawara Chikakata

“I can do it.” Tawara Chikakata declared, arrogant and over confident. The rest of the council paid him little attention, many of them not bothering to even look at him. The war council all knelt around a long kotatsu in a large, spacious tent, erected specially for it. otomo Sorin knelt at one end, wearing a black kimono embroidered with gold patterns. The more important you were, the more power you had, the more men you had supplied, the closer you sat, the less important consigned to the furthest ends of the zaiso. Tawara Chikakata, though young, sat in the middle, thanks to the large number of men his father had sent his liege lord, with his son at the head. Yet this still displeased Chikakata, who harboured delusion of grandeur much greater than the middle of the table. How he saw it, he deserved to be at Sorin’s right hand, speaking down on the rest of the council.

He despised all three of those men which knelt between him Sorin, perceiving them all as insults to his clan’s honour. Right next to Chikakata was Usuki Akistsuga, head of the Usuki clan and kokujin of Ama. Paranoid, ambitious and a buddhist zealot, Sorin was lucky two other people sat between hm and the kokujin of Ama for katanas would like be drawn if they were in any closer proximity to each other. Chikakata was acutely aware of Akitsuga’s anger at being placed further afield than the younger Saeki Korenori, kokujin of Naoiri, who Akistuga deemed lower than him. The kokujins of Ama and Naoiri had fought for decades over petty border disputes that had only stayed border disputes due to their liege lord’s interference on multiple occasions. Interference which had seemingly always been in the favour of the Saeki clan. Chikakata, like many others, had put that down to the Korenori’s adoption of Christianity, which had won him the favour of the gaijin and Sorin, but not the smallfolk nor his other lords, who both perceived him as a spiritual traitor.

And then there knelt the upstart, occupying the position closest to Sorin on his left side. Landless and without troops, he had no right to even be in the small council, yet alone closest to Sorin, thought Chikakata. Every time he spoke, Chikakata wished to hold him down and slice his tongue off so that he could no longer ‘advise’ their daimyo any more. His sword hand itched at just the thought of him or the mention of his name. One day, he dreamed, one day I will kill him. One day……

Across from the upstart, Tachibana Dōsetsu knelt, silent, as the rest of the council murmured between each other, quietly mocking Chikakata. Nearing his fiftieth year, Dōsetsu was not young but he had seemed to hold back the waves of time admirably, his hair still a chestnut brown with not a single grey hair. Faint wrinkled lined his forehead and cheeks, yet Chikakata had seen many men not yet thirty with more lines than that. Tachibana Dōsetsu was one of the only men to command at least an inch of respect from Chikakata but he disliked him nonetheless, if for nothing except jealousy and envy.

A famed warrior, Tachibana Dōsetsu was one of Sorin’s most leal and experienced generals. But despite his many victories, he was still known as the ‘homeless lord’. The Tachibana homelands around Najima in the far north of Kyushu had bee one of the first to fall when the Shoni swept through the Otomo lands, conquering them in the blink of an eye. Despite only gaining those lands though conquest himself he had refused to swear fealty to the Shoni, declaring some grudge between the two clans. He remained loyal to the end and beyond. In Sorin’s absence he took up the Otomo banner and continued to fight the Shoni, albeit in minor skirmishes and village raids, for his band of outlaws numbered no more than hundred.

For a decade, he fought in the shadows, villagers would live in fear of the man they called the ‘homeless lord’, telling stories of how he fought to find a new home but he was cursed by the gods to never settle down. Eventually, he descended into myth until the fateful day that Otomo Sorin returned at the head of a Chosokabe army. As soon as Bungo had been recaptured, he turned up in court and was recognised at once by his former friend and lord. Chikakata remembered the day with contempt and bitterness, for the ‘homeless lord’ had been the bane of him and his father.

For those ten years of Shoni control, he and his father had hundred down this homeless lord to no fruition. To rub salt into the wound, he had been granted more land until he could recapture Najima, land which the Tawara clan had eyed for years. And for that decade, not only did the Tawara try and hunt him down but they slowly gained power, scheming and betraying, working their way up the Shoni hierarchy. When Otomo Sorin, thought dead for years, and his Chosokabe lacks entered the fray, they had to alter their plans. Chikakata was sent by his father to bend the knee at once and tell tales of how the Tawara clan had spent the last ten years fighting the Shoni from within, hoping and praying that their lord would return. But that had all gone to the wind when Dōsetsu turned up, awing the court with his own stories. Chikakata retuned to his father with nothing but a bruised, bent knee. Chikakata wouldn't see this plan fail as well.

“We need to capture Kizashi castle.” Sorin finally said, his face emotionless. The murmuring slowly quietened down to nothing.

“I know, tono. That is-”

“Who said we must capture it?” The upstart interrupted, ignoring Chikakata and pleading the ‘peaceful’ way, as usual. “The Naito will bend the knee if we simply treat with them.” Chikakata stayed silent, waiting for Sorin or one of the other councillors to disagree. If they didn’t, his case was lost but too often had his wroth devoured him and caused him to lose anyway. Chikakata had learnt from his mistakes, he saw it as the only way to destroy the upstart and Otomo Sorin himself.

“We don’t have the time to.” Sorin replied to the upstart then turning to the rest of the council. “We need to cross the straits. And now.” Sorin said, just as Chikakata wanted him to.

“Can we not just use the fleet like we did last time?” Saeki Korenori asked, much to the anger of the Ukita Akitsuga.

“The Mori patrol the seas as if they were sharks and us shoals of fish. Even a small voyage could end up with our whole army beneath the waves.” Tsurunai Munetsune, lord of Kitsuga, said without any doubt in his voice. He sat next to Dōsetsu and was the closest thing the Otomo had to an admiral, having a few drops of wake blood flowing through his veins. Chikakata continued to hold his tongue, knowing that silence was his most useful ally. Men may fear his father but they did not fear him.

Throughout all of this, a gaijin by the name of Francesco di Toledo, knelt quietly at the end of the table. Unlike the rest of the councillors, who were dressed in kimonos, armed only with a katana, the foreigner was clad in his metal plate armour, his face popping out like an oversized potato. A translator stood behind him, whispering into his ear, though whether it was the right translation, only the translator knew. Francesco was tanned from many years sailing through strange seas and marching through stranger lands. Forty-four, he had been a conquistador for twenty five years and had seen wonders men in Europe couldn't even have dreamed about. While his family were originally from Toledo, he was born in the jungles of an island named Cuba, to a conquistador and a native women taken for slavery. His father had raised him on the decks of numerous ships, from Castilian war galleys to small trading ships. He had never known his mother, his father said they killed her when she gave birth to him. His father told him he loved her but he could do nothing to save her unless he wanted to die, which would have meant that Francesco would have been sold into slavery. Many occasions had he come so very close to death but Francesco had always survived. His father told him often of how strong a boy he was.

Nearly forty years later, Francesco kneels in a tent in a strange land called Japan, listening to a slave translate for him. And after everything he had been through, he couldn't quite remember how he had gotten there.

Intelligently, Sorin had put three gaijin sympathisers between Francesco and Tachibana Dōsetsu. To the foreigners immediate right, knelt Kutama Tadayoshi, spymaster and a recently converted Christian. Tadayoshi was infamous for his ability to find secrets where no one knew there were any and was a useful ally, though loyal he was not, except to Sorin and ‘the people’. Next to him, Sagoneski Tokiuji knelt, kokujin of Saiki and whose wealth he owed to the gaijin, for their trade flowed through his port at Saiki. He may have hated the foreigners secretly, but the lord of Saiki was smart enough to realise the sheer wealth he could accumulate as friends to the gaijin. Only Bungo was busier and more wealthy, Saiki having passed the city of Usuki years ago, a cause of anger between the two lords. But gold and food can make enemies disappear, a lesson Tokiuji learnt long ago.

Directly opposite Chikakata was Tamarai Shigetomo, head of the daimyo’s personal guard, a warrior renewed for his strength and skill with all manner of blades. Chikakata had a respect and even a certain liking for the man, for he was the epitome of honour and a model for all samurai to follow, but he held certain doubts whether the man deserved a spot at the war council. He only held a small tract of land in the hills around Bungo and was not the brightest man, a soldier not a commander. But Chikakata was wise enough to not offend the head of the daimyo’s guard, lest he want to not wake up one day.

Between anbbksa and the lord of Kitsuga, knelt Tabaru Chikatada, the kokujin of Kunisaki. While conservative in his actions and opinions, he was known to be more tolerant than others towards the foreigners. He was even said to haven taken one of their women as a consort, for his wife had died three years ago. She was said to be a strange, exotic beauty, with hair the colour of the sun and eyes that of the oceans she came from. She had enemies, this gaijin women, but it was said that she could speak Japanese fluently and was more respectable than most foreigners. Chikakata had yet to see her with his own eyes, something he desired very much.

The war council continued to bicker and argue until the watershed moment arrived and Chikakata knew he had it. “We need to attack the castle.” Dōsetsu declared, much to Chikakata’s silent joy. “It is already early summer and we’re still on the wrong side of the straits.” After that, the rest of the council slowly turned to his side. But now was the real test.

“Tono, I request to lead the attack.” Chikakata announced loudly. He could see the displeasure creeping onto the upstart’s face, something which only increased his resolve to not fail.

“Why you?” Sorin asked, almost mockingly. For a moment, Chikakata didn't have an answer, reasons sticking in his throat.

“Why not me?” He replied, trying to buy some more time. “I am a proven warrior and my father-”

“You are not your father.” The upstart interjected, as if Chikakata needed reminding. He had been told that his whole life, sometimes by his father. Yes, I am better than my father, Chikakata thought to himself, almost trying to convince himself it was true, and at least my father is not a peasant.

The Tawara clan had enjoyed a moderate share of power ever since the first Otomo daimyo. But Tawara Chikakata’s father , the mighty Tawara Tomeshide, dreamed of more than being an Otomo vassal. And his dreams were close to becoming reality before the Shoni attacked. But now that the Otomo were back, his father had continued where he had left off.

It was widely acknowledged that Tawara Tomeshide was a great man. In his youth, he was a formidable warrior, in his later years he was a formidable commander and one of the most powerful vassal of the Otomo. But his son, his son was not that.A decent swordsman he may be but he was too wroth, too quick to assume and too ready to hate. Deep down, ashamedly, Chikakata knew his lord father was right. But his wroth was what kept that admittance from eating him from the inside. Too often would love be missing from his father’s eyes, only disappointment flickered in his deep black eyes, disappointment at his son who had failed him too many times. Chikakata wouldn’t fail him this time.

“I ask for a chance to prove myself.” Chikakata said, ignoring the upstart. “I am not my father but I am his heir.” Chikakata reminded the council, knowing few of them would wish to upset the kokujin of Taketa, not a forgiving or forgetful man.

“The garrison is-”

“Two hundred men.” Chikakata interrupted Sorin, like a pupil trying to impress his teacher. “Five hundred should suffice.” Sorin considered the proposal in silence and then gave his answer.

“Take five hundred of your father’s men. If you fail, if you come home with only a handful of those men left, you will not be answering to me but your father.” Sorin seemed to take a sort of pleasure from playing father against son. The rest of the council stayed silent.

“I will bring you the castle by sunset tomorrow.” Chikakata announced. “And by the day after that, we will be across the straits.

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Default Re: Way of the Bow:A Chosokabe AAR-(Updated Chapter XXII 12/1)

Excellent, as always!

Five-hundred against two-hundred, should be a cake walk...

Quote Originally Posted by McScottish View Post
    Excellent, as always!

Five-hundred against two-hundred, should be a cake walk...
    Thank you and it should be but Chikakata isn't the most reliable man for the job.....

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

An arrogant and over-confident commander, who is prone to focusing on perceived insults to his clan's honour, leading men on an attack against a castle ... there are so many ways that this could go wrong. An excellent chapter - I'm excited about finding out what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    An arrogant and over-confident commander, who is prone to focusing on perceived insults to his clan's honour, leading men on an attack against a castle ... there are so many ways that this could go wrong. An excellent chapter - I'm excited about finding out what happens.
    You all have too little faith in Tawara CHikakata, a desperate man is often capable of doing things others can't.....

Also, I apologise if the last couple of chapters haven't been too exciting, they have sort of been more about laying the foundations day for the next part of the story. But I can promise you the chapter after the next one will (I hope) be quite shocking. After that, you'll get the long-awaited chapter from the POV of Emura Akara and soon there will be a big, big battle. So watch this space because things (I hope) are about to get interesting.

Finally, a big, big thank you to everyone who voted for me in the last MAARC as well as the tiebraker. And also thank you to anyone who nominated this AAR, me, or any of the characters for our yearly awards. Remember, if you too want to nominate your favourite AARs, as well as your favourite AARtists, AAR protagonists and antagonists, the Yearly Awards are still in the nomination phase. Head over to here, and post your nominations accordingly (make sure to read the OP). And for those with AARs, remember to enter this month's MAARC and this months CW pieces for those creative writers.

Best wishes to you all,

Merchant of Venice

Chapter XXIII- Across the straits

1559- Mid-summer

Tawara Chikakata had done it, much to my annoyance and shock. At sunset the day after the council meeting, a solitary rider arrived, bearing the mon of the Tawara clan. Sorin knew what it meant before the rider had even spoken his message, and for the both of us it was a weird combination of relief and irritation. Even if we could at last cross the straits in safety, it was no victory if it was won by Tawara Chikakata.

Furthermore, Chikakata had been somewhat tight-lipped about the whole affair, declining to give the council a full report of the events, nor did any of the men who accompanied him. Even the ashigaru under his command were questioned, yet they too said little, perhaps threatened with their families’ deaths if they didn't stay quiet. But while everyone had a definite inclination that something fishy had gone on, none of us had the proof to confirm our suspicions and Chikakata got away with whatever he had done.

And the day after the rider, as promised by Chikakta, we were crossing the straits, an army ferried across on transport ships and fishing boats. The Otomo flagship wasn’t an impressive sight, a big, cumbersome heavy bune, with space to fit one hundred men, if they were shoved on top of each other like fish in a net. It sat low in the water, at times, almost threatening to sink under the weight of all the men onboard, and moved like a bloated whale through the water. Today, it ferried across only the daimyo’s most important retainers and vassals, many of whom stayed below deck, talking or drinking, or in many cases both.

It was an ordinary summer’s day. The sun shone brightly and no sea breeze was there to relieve us from the heat. Instead, the salt air lay still and heavy. The water looked like water does and the sky looked like the sky. To the north west, past the straits, lay the open ocean, where the stillness of the straights gave way to rough waves and rougher weather. To the south-east, waves and storms seemed as far away as the lands the gaijin sailed from.

The short journey across the straits was tiresome and boring. No one approached me, Sorin was busy and Aki was likely chuckling along with some of his comrades under the deck of some other boat. So I kept to myself, staring blankly out the side of the boat, entertained with nothing but my thoughts. And that is always a dangerous place to be.

The plan, once we reached the shores of Kyushu, was simple. Reach the castle of Kokura as quickly as possibly, storm it, then continue on towards Fukuoka, where the force would split into two. One, lead by Sorin, would march for Dazaifu while the other one, lead by Tachibana Dōsetsu, would take Akizuki. The two would then meet up at Kunume where we would march further west, wiping out any further Mori resistance.

The whole plan, however, relied on meeting no Mori resistance, and the assumption that many of the castles would be lightly guarded or held by lords who would be open to switching sides. While reports mentioned little of any Mori army still in Kyushu, as seen by Chikakata, one man’s reports were another man’s lies. And ruling out the possibility of a large Mori army could prove hazardous. We still had thirteen thousand men at our disposal, a lot of them battle-hardened. Two thousand cavalry we could muster, and two thousand, plus the gaijin mercenaries, matchlockmen. An additional five thousand reinforcements from the Chosokabe were said to meet us at Kunume. But by then it might be too late.

But I didn’t air these concerns with anyone, if resistance was likely, than others would be thinking the same. But no one else had spoken of these matters, so I deemed it nonsense on my part, my pessimism and caution, or what others called cowardice, getting the better of me.

But more often than not, my thoughts would return back to Suzume. Oh Suzume…… her hazelnut eyes and long, flowing hair, her sorrow-vanquishing smile and er uplifting laugh. I would try and guess what she was doing but knowing Suzume, she couldn't stay doing one thing for long, her attention span was less than that of a child, her interests changing in the blink on an eye. But I loved her for that. I was perhaps too boring, not adventurous enough. Caution was a friend I knew too well but for Suzume, for Suzume it was but a disliked acquaintance. She loved the thrill of life, while I loved just staying alive. That was why I forbade her to come with me. I couldn't trust her not to run in front of a line of matchlocks or to charge into the enemy lines without anyone beside her. She would do it just for the feeling of being, as she put it, ‘truly alive’, though doing stuff like that, I couldn't imagine her to stay actually alive for long.

And while our chances of victory were hight at the moment, it wasn't always like that. The battle of Shimoneski could have turned with a change in the direction of the wind. Our centre could have collapsed or Mori Motonari could have stayed on the battlefield, defeated our cavalry and led the Mori forces to victory. An arrow could have pierced my armour, an enemy samurai could have lopped my head off. And then afterwards, even if we had won, Suzume would have been forced to walk through the battlefield, searching for my maimed corpse. I could not have her see the true cost of war, all the dying men, if you could call them men for many were but boys. She could handle it, without doubt, but we were both young and I would not break her innocence like that. If it was up to me, she would stay innocent forever.

“Yuki- kun.” My thoughts were disrupted by Tawara Chikakata, who wore an unnerving grin.

“Yes, Chikakata-san.” I replied politely, tightly gripping the edge of the boat until my hands went a pale white.

“Chikakata-sama to you.” He said. “How many times must I tell you? I am a lord and you are but an upstart peasant.” He had the same condescending look many lords had when talking to people who they deemed lower then themselves. Their chins pointed slightly upwards just so they could look downwards on you.

“Your father is lord, last time I checked, Chikakata-san.” I said. “You are his son. I don’t think he would be entirely happy to hear his son his proclaiming himself lord over his lands. Or has he died? If so, you have my condolences.”

“I am still above you.” He hissed back.

“What do you want?” I asked, growing tiresome of that constant, repetitive argument.

“I was merely admiring the day.” He said as he looked out to this distance. “Below deck is uncomfortably warm and crowded. I wanted to feel the soft breeze on my face and bask in the warmth of success. Thought I doubt you would know what that felt like.” And I doubt you know the feeling of warmth, I nearly spat back but I constrained myself, even thought if it hurt me as his grin widened.

“You’re completely right, Shimoneski was no victory.” I mockingly replied. I knew Chikakata liked being reminded of my victory little, especially the part where he followed my commands.

“It was one victory.” He said, his grinning looking forced. “An easy one as well.”

“Yes, every commander just dreams of being outnumbered.” I said, pretending to agree with him. “I even believe Sun Tzu wrote about the benefits of having fewer troops in his Art of War.”

“It was just luck.” He snapped. “Just luck, only luck.” I didn't know whether he was trying to convince me or himself. “Anyways, if it wasn’t for me, we wouldn't even be on these ships.”

“How did you take the castle? You never deemed it necessary to tell the council.” I doubted Chikakata would tell me even the smallest detail of how he did it, but stuck on a boat with nothing to do it was worth a try.

“I have my ways.” He said, expectedly tightlipped as ever about the whole affair.

“Don’t we all.” I said. “But some of our’s are less suspicious than others.”

“And why would I tell an upstart peasant how I took a castle?” He replied. “What use will it be to you? You’re a worthless farmer who I don’t particularly like either.”

“That’s not fair. I was warming to you, I thought we really had something going.” I mockingly frowned, pretending that I was actually sad. Seemingly not amused, Chikakata walked away, leaving me to stare out into the ocean alone. We were told we would reach the other side by the end of the day and while it couldn't have come soon enough, it was painful realising Chikakata was right. But I had learnt you don’t tell your enemies they’re right. Ever.

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Way of the Bow:A Chosokabe AAR-(Updated Chapter XXIII 23/1)

Great stuff as per usual! I'm liking Chikataka more and more (I feel like I should be rooting for Yuki, but all your villains are so cool!). The dialogue was really great with their little back and forth. Looking forward to what's going to happen in Kyushu.

Congrats on beating me again by the way Well deserved first place!

Quote Originally Posted by Hitai de Bodemloze View Post
    Great stuff as per usual! I'm liking Chikataka more and more (I feel like I should be rooting for Yuki, but all your villains are so cool!). The dialogue was really great with their little back and forth. Looking forward to what's going to happen in Kyushu.

Congrats on beating me again by the way Well deserved first place!
    I don't know about deserved, more lucky but hey the next competition is all yours now I'm out

And I hope you won't be rooting for the villains after the next chapter with what Motochika is about to do.

Wasn't Vespa Samurai supposed to go to where Sorin's army was? And if they have crossed the sea won't he find nothing? Or am I getting confused and he was counting on Sorin's army crossing on their own to unite their forces?

I'm pretty surprised Chikenkata did something useful, something fishy happened but at least he can do something without killing most of his soldiers, that's more than what we can say about many generals.

Wasn't Vespa Samurai supposed to go to where Sorin's army was? And if they have crossed the sea won't he find nothing? Or am I getting confused and he was counting on Sorin's army crossing on their own to unite their forces?

I'm pretty surprised Chikenkata did something useful, something fishy happened but at least he can do something without killing most of his soldiers, that's more than what we can say about many generals.
    No Motochika is currently in Bungo (see map in the OP if necessary) and the plan was always to meet up with Sorin and Otomo in Kyushu rather than where they were

See you all underestimated Chikakata, sometimes he can get the job done, though in future chapters that may not be the case....

Chapter XXIV- A revenge most cruel

1559- Mid-summer

Chosokabe Motochika

In a dark alley-way, lit only by the moon and stars, clothed in black, stood the heir to the Chosokabe clan. The night was warm and humid, an uncomfortable combination and sweat trickled down Motochika’s forehead. He wore a loose fitting, jet black kimono in an attempt to alleviate the heat but it made little difference. His hair was unkept and it cut across his forehead in a dangerous fringe, a far cry from the bun he usually wore it in. He had avoided shaving for nearly a week beforehand and the result was a thick layer of stubble which covered his chin and mouth area. In some spots, wiry black hair towered over the bristly stubble, the first signs of a proper beard forming. I look like a drunkard, like some worthless peasant, Motochika disapprovingly thought as he stroked his chin, finding not the clean shaven skin he was use to.

The heir to the Chosokabe had been waiting in the shadows for over an hour now, biding his time, waiting for the night to grow darker and for life to well and truly subside. A drunk, a real one, had come across him earlier but a flash of steel sent him scurrying away like the rats that proved to be Motochika’s only company.

They darted from hiding place to hiding place, appearing and disappearing in the blink of an eye, they were often but a blur. Above, cats, mere silhouettes in the dark of night, prowled the rooftop, waiting for one of the rats to leave the shadows long for the rooftop killers to pounce. Motochika shuddered at the thought of his new friends, the alley-way, with its court of cats and rats, was in stark contrast to the palaces and castles Motochika was used to, although shadows were dangerous in both places. Motochika looked around nervously as shadows seemed to move and whispers played on his paranoia. For while any man can kill another in broad daylight upon the battlefield and claim to be brave, many ‘brave’ samurai would suddenly lose their courage in the alley-ways of Bungo, where shadows reigned and true killers hid.

In the distance, laughter echoed from the docks where merchants could drink and whore until sunrise. Guards roamed that part of the city, constantly vigilant for fights, thought more often than not, the guards joined in on the drinking and whoring, for they were but men and temptations always take over in the end. But in the alley-ways and unlit streets of the poorer part of town, no such temptations existed. They were few places to drink and even less with woman and so, very, very few guards patrolled the area. This was lucky for Motochika because for once in his life, the guards would prove to be his worst enemy tonight.

It was not before the moon reached its celestial throne at the top of the sky that Motochika began to wander out from his lair. His destination wasn’t in fact in this poor part of Bungo but he had thought it a good place to assume his different identity. The house he needed lay just outside the castle walls, in a much more wealthy area. It wasn’t going to be easy to reach and he would surely come across a guard or two but Motochika knew that keeping to the backstreets would allow him to escape any unwanted attention. And he hoped that no guards would recognise him for anything more than a drunk, for his stubble and unkept hair bore little resemblance to the mighty son of Chosokabe Kunichika. And even when the disguise failed, steel would not.

The first guard he came across did exactly what Motochika wanted him to and paid no attention to him bar a slightly disgusted glance in his general direction. Motochika weighed up whether he should kill the man just to be safe but he looked of little danger, likely kept home from the war because of young age or some sort on injury. The next guard, much bigger and stockier than the last, ignored him if he wasn't there, preferring to eyeball the girl which taunted him from across the street, quite probably viewing the guard as easy pickings. Making his way through the maze of streets and buildings, Motochika went unnoticed like a shadow.

Soon, the walls of the castle loomed large. They were impressive things, seemingly sturdy as a mountain and in the day, they would cast a long shadow on the surrounding buildings. At the top of the walls, Motochika could spot guards pacing the length of them. Some seemed to be armed with matchlocks, a worrying sight for any man less confident than Motochika. A staunch believer in the power of traditional weapons, Motochika was sure in the odds of overcoming a few untrained guards with matchlocks. En masse, he did not doubt they could prove a dangerous weapon for a commander but with the time it took to reload one of those things, a fatal first shot would be required and to Motochika, the guards he had seen didn't look like people who he would entrust that to.

But Motochika was being followed. A few glances over his shoulder confirmed a suspicion he had been holding since he’d passed the castles gates. In response, he picked up his pace and turned into one of the bigger streets, hopefully to deter his pursuer if they were some common thief or hired thug. But when that failed, Motochika realised it must be a guard and so he quickly knew how he would have to deal with it.

“Halt in the name of Otomo Sorin, Lord of Bungo!” The man behind him shouted. Unsheathing his sword, Motochika turned and charged. It took the guard a moment to overcome his shock before he drew his own sword in response. Motochika struck first, slicing downwards with all the forward momentum he had gathered but it was seemingly easily blocked by the guard who thrusted high in return. Motochika dodged right and swung for his enemy’s torso but that too was swatted away with ease. The guard prepared to swing downwards but before he could execute his attack, Motochika buried his sword in the man’s throat, a gurgling sound preceded the man’s quick death. But now Motochika had bigger problems, the sound of steel on steel had attracted attention and more guards could be heard shouting from a distance. Cursing, he sheathed his sword and bolted, taking as many tuns as he could to confuse any possible pursuers.

After he was confident that he had escaped, Motochika found a small sake den and entered, convincing himself he needed it. Laying a fat pouch of coins in front of the owner, he demanded for “as much of your finest sake.” Four cups later, Motochika had left the small sake den, much to the chagrin of the owner, who hadn’t had such a wealthy client in a long time and hadn’t finished milking him for every last penny.

It wasn’t a far walk between the sake den and Motochika’s destination and over an hour after he had left the alley-way, he arrived at the house. It was, by now, morning, thought still a fair way from sunrise. Guards were few and far between, many had retired for the night and as before, the others payed him little attention.

Two stories high, it was an ordinary house and remarkably similar to all the other houses beside it. If it wasn’t for an array of potted plants at the entrance of the house, Motochika could easily have walked straight past it. But Motochika could not help but smile an evil smile when he came upon the house at last. Revenge, Motochika licked his lips. Revenge at last….

“Hello!” He shouted but had no reply. Just as I wanted. He tried to slide open the front fusuma1 but it must have been barred from the other side and didn't budge an inch. He set about trying to find an alternate way in. He could force open the fusuma but that would be too conspicuous, people would see, people he didn't want to see. Luckily, Motochika spotted an alley-way two houses to the right, which seemed to connect to street the house backed onto. Motochika walked through the alley-way calmly, trying to contain his eagerness. Ideas for revenge floated around in his head, each so tempting but he had settle on what he was going to do. The upstart will pay, he muttered.

He turned left out of the alleyway and counted two houses until he came to a small wall, just a bit taller than he was. That was all that stopped him from his revenge. He looked up and down the street. No one, it was barren. A barrel rested conveniently against the wall. This will be easy, Motochika thought to himself. Balancing precariously on a barrel obviously not designed for a man to stand on was in fact, not that easy but he managed to reach up to the top of the small stone wall and began to pull himself up. Kicking off the barrel, he managed to pull the top half of his body on to the top of the wall, which was less than a metre wide. Lying on the top of the wall like a plank, legs dangling off, he flung his right leg over until he straddled the wall. Being in a very uncomfortable position, he lifted the other leg of the wall until he was sitting, which was a marginal improvement.

Below and in front of him lay a small garden with neatly trimmed grass and less neatly trimmed bamboo. Thank the gods it wasn't a zen garden, Motochika thought as he jumped off the wall. He picked himself up, brushed off the grass and dirt from his kimono and continued on.

The garden was juxtaposition of all types of plants and features. Water trickled down a waterfall and into a small pond, where a bonsai tree stood lonely on an island in the middle. Bamboo hugged the right side of the garden. But it did have an air of tranquility about it and it did indeed prove rather useful to Motochika. Hidden from the streets by the wall he had just climbed over, he slid open the fusuma and at last he was inside the house.

The first room seemed to be a kitchen but without any light, it was hard to be sure. Sliding open another fusuma, he entered into what looked like the living space. A small zataku2 was situated in the centre of the room, with a pair of zabutons3 on either side. Motochika made for the wooden staircase on the right side of the room. With a surprising amount of caution, he slowly creeped up the stairs, though luckily for him they did not creek. He tripped on the last step but recovered before making too much noise. The first room was a small bedroom and a woman lay sleeping on a bed clearly fit for two. His prize, the reward for all his work. His long awaited revenge.

“Suzume-kun.” The woman woke with a startle. “I don’t believe we have met.” Suzume rubbed her eyes groggily.

“Who are?” She asked, still half-asleep, it was after all the early hours of the morning.

“I am Chosokabe Motochika, heir to the Chosokabe clan and firstborn son to Chosokabe Kunichika, the Lord of Tosa.” A horrible realisation suddenly dawned on Suzume but before he could react he climbed on top of her and pinned her down. “But right now, I am your worst nightmare.” He added with a sinister grin. Suzume screamed but it was an exercise in futility. Motochika covered her mouth with his right hand as he slid in his left down her body, searching for the sash to undo her kimono. She bit onto his hand and Motochika withdrew it in shock before slapping her in response. Undoing the sash, he ripped the kimono off her, as she struggled beneath him, kicking him in the back with her legs. But they weren’t nearly as effective as she thought they were and they had little effect on Motochika. She clawed at him, trying to reach for his throat but her arms weren’t long enough. The sweet taste of revenge, Motochika thought, licking his lips as he finally got the kimono off Suzume. She tried kneeing him but his grip was too strong. She bit his hand again and he slapped her again, this time harder. Her left cheek was red now and stung.

“You monster!” She shouted. “You monster, you monster, you monster!” She managed to loosen his grip on her arms and she punched him in the stomach and for a second he withdrew in pain.

“You baita!” He spat and instead of slapping her he punched her, blood flowing from her nose. He flipped her onto her back and preceded to take off his own kimono and under garments. She screamed and squealed, pounded the bed beside her but all to no avail. “This is for your darling husband.” He said sinisterly. “Next time he will think next time when he messes with me.” He stuck himself inside of her and she screamed again, as loud as possible.
    He thrusted once and she pounded her fists into the bed.
    He thrusted again and she screamed.
    He thrusted again and someone yelled.
    Chikushō, he thought to himself, who the hell is that?

“Suzume-san?” It was a man’s voice, loud and deep. “Suzume-san! Suzume-san!” Another man. The town guards.
    Chikushō. Motochika pulled out and hurriedly put his kimono back on. He paused at the door of the room, anger in his eyes. Suzume stared at him, blood and tears running down her face and an unmistakable look, like that of a broken innocence.

“We will meet again Suzume-san.” He declared confidently. “I can assure that.” Almost leaping from step to step, he bolted from the house, hurdling the small zataku in the living space and only stopping to take a breath once he had reached the garden. A small fuzuma, barred from the inside, presented an easier way to get out of the garden than going over the wall again. Lifting the small plank of wood which acted as a barricade, he slid open the door a smidgen and slipped inconspicuously through the gap back into the dark streets of Bungo. He gazed back at the house and saw Suzume staring down at him from the balcony, still naked.

“I will be back.” He mouthed and stole back into the shadows.

1- Fusuma is a sliding door often made from paper. Wikipedia link
    2- Zataku is a small table
    3- Zabutons are floor cushions. Wikipedia Link

Chikushō means "Oh crap"
    baita means a female dog

Author's Note
    Firstly, I would like to apologise if the content in this chapter offends or upsets anyone. I am by no means condoning rape or supporting nor is this meant to be a justification. Yet again, I apologise if anyone felt disturbed by the content, especially if you have had such a thing happen to you. Rape is simply awful, something that could is arguably worse than death. This is meant to show the horrible nature of Motochika and not to be a justification or support of rape.

Merchant of Venice