Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Way of the Bow:A Chosokabe AAR-(Updated Chapter XXXXII 30/9)

Default Re: Way of the Bow:A Chosokabe AAR-(Updated Chapter XVII 24/9)

Well done. Enjoyed reading the report.

Thank you for the support guys, the next chapter won't be out for another two weeks at least because ik currently on holiday. Anyway, it means a lot for your support

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Good stuff! I liked Kunichika's little monologues, but he seemed a bit schizophrenic, moving back and froth from carefree to really brash, which made it kind of hard to pin down his character. Interesting to see what you do with Akara - she isn't how I expected you'd portray her, but I guess it's early days - still interesting though. Great to see another female enter the fray, especially since Suzume has been on the sidelines for a while.

You also might want to give it a little re-read

daughter of Emura asahksahks
    But I warn you, jkshkhjks-san has little tolerance
    Last edited by Hitai de Bodemloze; October 01, 2014 at 01:30 PM.

Thanks for reading. Sorry I put those in as place holders until I got the name from in game. Do you mean his inner monologue seemed schizophrenic or more his actions. i wanted him to appear cool but have his son really jade him like any son does to their father. And Akara, she might seem like a sweet little bird now but just wait......

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant of Venice View Post
    Do you mean his inner monologue seemed schizophrenic or more his actions.
    A bit of both. Obviously he starts of pretty care free, then he gets really quite malicious with his inner monologues. Then his actions seemed really loud and obnoxious too at times, which was just a quite a big contrast to the tea-drinking dude already resigned to defeat. I think having a pendulum like character is good and it's realistic to have a chilled out guy who gets pushed over the edge, but from my perspective it seemed as if he went too far over the edge, without going back to normal as well, if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant of Venice View Post
    And Akara, she might seem like a sweet little bird now but just wait......

Ill re read over the chapter and possibly make some changes to it. All i wanted to show is a father being pushed over the edge by his arrogant son, not a schizophrenic. Thanks for the feedback.

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

Hey, this may be an odd question to ask.

But, just out of curiosity, what is the word count so far of Way of the Bow?

I am behind on the chapters D: I will have to get reading!

Thanks

Tigelinus

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tigellinus View Post
    Hurry up, you need to meet Akara! She's going to be awesome

Hey, this may be an odd question to ask.

But, just out of curiosity, what is the word count so far of Way of the Bow?

Thanks

Tigelinus
    The word count so far stands at 54, 678. May I ask why you're asking this? It totals 92 pages so far and I'm wondering how big it is going to be in the end considering we're only 16 chapters through!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitai de Bodemloze View Post
    Hurry up, you need to meet Akara! She's going to be awesome
    Oh no so much pressure, I really hope I don't disappoint. But I must say, I am excited for her character and also for that of Chosokabe Naomi. I want some more female characters in this and strong ones as well. Also, Suzume will be coming back soon but not exactly in the way you think.

One last thing as well, the next chapter will be out within the next week or two only because I've been busy writing for a school assignment and doing that has slightly drained me as well, not to mention going overseas. But I ditched another writing thing (it was going to be for a competition) so after I have finished my school story (it's nearly done), I'll be able to focus fully on this one. Just in case you were wondering, I'm aiming for an update every 2 weeks or so. Sorry, if this is longer than you want but like writing big, meaty chapters and those take time and energy (both of which I don't always have).
    Last edited by Merchant of Venice; October 05, 2014 at 03:39 AM.

Here's a little update about what's going on.

Well, I haven't done much writing in the past three weeks mainly due to my yearly exams taking a tremendous toll on me. However, I have started the next chapter and hope to finish it by the end of next week. I hope you stick with me because I do intend to stop being lazy and make this story great for you, the readers.

Thank you for your patience,

Merchant of Venice

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

I haven't forgotten about Akara

Quote Originally Posted by Hitai de Bodemloze View Post
    I haven't forgotten about Akara
    You might have to wait a bit for Akara but I can assure you she will have a strong presence going forward in the story

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

I demand some Chosokabe goodness!

Chapter XVIII- An Unforgotten Treachery

1559-Spring
    Tawara Chikakata

“Tono?” Tawara Chikakata bowed, though only as low as he had to and not an inch lower. He stood proud at the entrance to Otomo Sorin’s tent, trying to hide a smile but failing horribly. His short shaven hair was black yet, similar to his eyes, was a faded black, a black that instead of getting lost in, you got bored of. Yet, Tawara Chikakata was by no means old. Perhaps, those faded eyes had seen something?

In contrast, Otomo Sorin seemed like a man who was truly faded. Not just his eyes or his hair, but his smile, his skin, his stance. The war had drained him and the fighting, not just against the Mori, was taking a formidable toll.
    He stood leaning heavily against a bookshelf and slowly turned his head to see who his visitor was.

“Take a seat.” He meekly announced to Chikakata. It took a visible amount of effort to push himself off the book case and it nearly sent himself staggering backwards. But Otomo Sorin was a proud man and he tried his best to hide the pain. Chikakata played along, sitting down without word and pretending to ignore his lord’s suffering. He is old, too old, Chikakata thought to himself. “What is it you are here for?” Demanded Sorin, cutting to the chase, unwilling to deal with niceties.

“The men grow reckless,” Chikakata began before being interrupted by his superior.

“I wish I had the energy and time to grow reckless.” Scoffed Sorin, as he slowly poured himself a cup of sake. “Just say that you want to fight instead of pretending that it’s in the best interests of the soldiers.”

“They want to march on to glory, they want to fight!” Argued back Chikakata. Of course I want to fight, you fool, he screamed inside his head.

“Only the young and the mad want to fight.” Sorin rebuked. “You misunderstand, they grow reckless because we are not marching back to their homes and their wives.

“Are you scared?” Chikakata asked arrogantly, diverting the conversation to a point he knew he could win.

“Are you mad?” Sorin snapped, slamming his fist onto the table. “You are mistaken, Chikakata-san, I am weary.” He said, calmly and with more composure. “And old.”

“Then leave it to younger men like me.” Chikakata pleaded, hoping here he could finally persuade the old man.

“Like Yuki?”

“He is too young.” Chikakata said, with a distasteful tone.

“And you too brash.” Sorin replied. And you too spineless, muttered Chikakata.

“He is too reserved.” Chikakata tried to argue but he knew the young upstart held Sorin’s favour.

“The men love him.”

“The men need to fear their commander, not love him.”

“And they fear you?” Laughed Sorin. They will fear me, Chikakata mused, I just need to remove this upstart.

“Who fought alongside of you at the fall of Bungo all those years ago?” Chikakata asked, knowing that would evoke something from Sorin.

“Tachibana Dōsetsu did. You were but a boy and if you fought alongside of me, why do you sit here and not lie beneath Bungo with the fellow fallen?” Sorin replied, displeased at the topic being brought up.

“Why do you, tono?” This has got him. Otomo Sorin seemed paralysed, his hands shaking. Tawara Chikakata did the best he could not to laugh.

“Because I needed to live.” Sorin replied, his voice wavering.

“Yes, you did, tono. And so did I.” Chikakata paused to let Sorin regain his composure before continuing. “I take it you’ll think about what I’ve said today.”

“I will.” Sorin replied. “But don’t think I will march my men to war because you want your glory. Do you wish that the Otomo clan fall again?” Sorin asked. Yes, Chikakata nearly said but he held his tongue.

“No, tono.” He wisely answered instead. “But I do hope you will at least think on my advice.” With that, Chikakata bowed and left Otomo Sorin’s tent.

He was hit by a barrage of light upon his exit and his eyes struggled to adapt from the darkness of Sorin’s tent to the brightness of outside. The warmth of late spring seemed to enthuse everybody with a new energy, none more
    so than the soldiers, who had seemed to have forgotten, or repressed, the memories of the battles which had claimed so many of their comrades. Tawara Chikakata needed not forget nor repress for no such grief had plagued him. He was still alive and that was all that mattered.

Nevertheless, a gloomy mood had taken control of the men in the aftermath of the battle yet now it had dissipated and normal life appeared to have returned.The grunts and groans as men trained were a welcome relief to Chikakata from the weeping and sobbing of earlier. War is not meant to be happy, he thought. As he saw it, men died so that others could live.

Chikakata was given little attention as he strode through the camp, only a few bows or forced greetings. He initially took offence from it but upon reflection, came to the realisation that it was because of the fear the men possessed of him and that they were simply too scared to talk. I need no greetings, just obedience. Yuki-kun can have their love as long as I have their weapons.

It wasn’t long before he arrived at his own tent, which, unlike Sorin’s, was lit so one could actually see. A servant rushed to pour him some tea, the speed of which pleased him and he sat down on his zaisu in a good mood. On his kotatsu, lay a letter from Chosokabe Motochika, something which only made him happier. He skimmed over the letter, smiling as he read of Motochika’s wedding and grinning more when he heard of his imminent arrival on Kyushu. The letter also urged Chikakata to continue arguing for Sorin to march on Buzen, though he barely needed any reminding to do that. Many of Chikakata’s waking thoughts were devoted to trying to convince his stubborn lord that they needed to attack. The problem is, Chikakata mused, Otomo Sorin is a coward. Tawara Chikakata had seen it first hand at the fall of Bungo, many years ago. As women were raped and children murdered, Otomo Sorin had fled. He had deserted his people in their time of need yet now the sons and daughters of those dead worshipped him. Chikakata remembered, with much anger and annoyance, the public celebrations which had been thrown when Otomo Sorin had arrived at the head of a Chosokabe army. “The gods have answered our prayers,” they cried, “the true Lord of Bungo has returned,” they shouted. Invaders replaced with new invaders, Chikakata had thought at the time. While Chikakata could not forget nor forgive what the Ouchi had done to Bungo, to his family, to him, Otomo Sorin was just a Chosokabe puppet. Now, he thought, he is a puppet trying to cut himself free. Chikakata knew that is what the stalling was all about. It was about doing stuff Sorin’s way. Alone, Chikakata raised a cup of tea to an invisible guest.

“Let us just hope that our dear Sorin does not harm himself in his attempt for freedom!” Tawara Chikakata laughed, not caring if anyone heard.
    Last edited by Merchant of Venice; November 16, 2014 at 01:46 AM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Way of the Bow:A Chosokabe AAR-(Updated Chapter XVIII 16/11)

An consistently engaging story - a very rewarding read.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    An consistently engaging story - a very rewarding read.
    Thank for your kind words, Alwyn, always means a lot.

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

That last chapter is amazing, Merchant!

I loved the treacherous nature of Chikakata, and I liked Sorin's bluntness! The conversation between them was amazing!

+rep for the treacherous nature of Chikakata, I am intrigued by him!

Thanks

Tigellinus

EDIT: When I can

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

That last chapter is amazing, Merchant!

I loved the treacherous nature of Chikakata, and I liked Sorin's bluntness! The conversation between them was amazing!

+rep for the treacherous nature of Chikakata, I am intrigued by him!

Thanks

Tigellinus

EDIT: When I can
    Thank you for your kind words and I'm glad you enjoyed Chikakata's character, he's going to be in the story for a quite a bit and I can assure you he'll constantly be a thorn in Yuki's side.

Next chapter is going to be out in a couple of hours, just going through the last phases of editing.

NCR's Avatar Libertus

Love this AAR. I have been reading it for a while, but just got the courage to register in order to comment! You are awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by NCR View Post
    Love this AAR. I have been reading it for a while, but just got the courage to register in order to comment! You are awesome!
    Thanks for the kind words and welcome to the site.