Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Way of the Bow:A Chosokabe AAR-(Updated Chapter XXXXII 30/9)

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Way of the Bow:A Chosokabe AAR-(Updated Chapter XI 14/11)

That was an excellent chapter just a few things:

Here is bored when not on the battlefield

Shouldn't that be: "He is bored..."

leaving to exit for escape.
    Should that be: "leaving no exit to escape."

They are at war with the Mori already and there lands hold a good strategic position.
    Should that be: "...and already their lands hold a good..."

(I don't mean to nick pick) I enjoyed reading the last chapter. The battle descriptions was great and I liked way you had the scribe describe one battle in a letter. Since this is my first time reading this I must say I like the borders around the picture. It give the picture character (if that means anything). Nice update and have some rep!
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

I have lured another one

thanks for the comments and and feedback. I should probably read through my chapters a couple more times. Or maybe I should hire an editor

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Woo I finally caught up with this! I'm ashamed it took me so long; my apologies as always. I really enjoyed the last few updates and I like the direction you're taking the story in. Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by f0ma View Post
    Woo I finally caught up with this! I'm ashamed it took me so long; my apologies as always. I really enjoyed the last few updates and I like the direction you're taking the story in. Keep it up!
    Thanks a lot f0ma your support means a lot to me. There should be a chapter up this week once I finish the quill stuff (f0ma watch out for my RTK review) and definitely before Christmas. In fact, I might include some Christmas festivity in it.......

Chapter XII- New enemies......

1556-Spring

“The docks are busy today, unusually busy.” I stated, staring over the port at Bungo from the balcony in my house. “Aki?”

“Sorry?Yes, yes, very busy.” He seemed distracted, almost as if he was in another world.

“What is wrong Aki?” I asked, though I very much doubted my words were heard at all.

“Sorry, what?” Aki finally replied after nearly a minute of ignoring me and staring mindlessly out into the horizon.

“Are you feeling right?”

“Um…..yes. It is just, just….. the docks are busy because it is finally time for the soldiers to return home. Kunichika’s vassals have recalled their men in order for the new crops to be sown. I had imagine I would be over there, ready to return home. Yet, I cannot go home and that hurts. It hurts Yuki.”After sculling down the rest of his sake, he returned to staring at the horizon, trying unsuccessfully to hide the tears.

“Aki go home!” I exclaimed, hoping to grab his attention.

“What?” He replied, confused by my relatively easy orders.

“I said go home. Go back to your family.”

“But I need to stay here.” He replied, contradicting his earlier intentions.

“Fine. Aki-san, I relieve you of your duties until you are of right state of mind. Be that for a couple of weeks or months or even, Izanagi forbid, a couple of years.” Without saying a word, Aki left, throwing down his sake cup in front of me. I could do nothing but stand silently as he stormed out and I was left to wonder what I had done. It was the right thing or was it…….

1556-Summer

Knock, knock.

My knocks reverberated on the old wooden door, the planks giving slight leeway each time my knuckles collided with them. The wooden door was in stark contrast with the stone walls, which surrounded it. The stone walls looked as if they had been constructed with boulders. such was the immense size of the rocks. A single oval window, remarkable coloured as well, stood guard above the door, with a small wooden cross above the window. From there the building thinned until it culminated in one small tower like feature, a spire I believe they called it. The building overall was a masterpiece in construction and was very different compared to the many wooden houses, which were clustered around it.

“Hello?”

“Good morning.” I replied, examining the man in front of me. He was short, with a fragile build, though much thinner than he should be. His hair was cut in a manner which made the top bald. His eyes were dark brown, like that of oak and his voice, while neither particularly or low, was comforting in the way that it spoke to you.

“What may I help you with?” Asked the man, in a sincere sort of way, the man mostly puzzled by my visit. His voice portrayed neither annoyance nor surprise yet conveyed a sort of pleasure at my arrival, sincere or not I could not tell.

“I was wondering……. I was wondering, what do you do here?” I stumbled through my sentence, trying to make my sentence as non-offensive as I could.
    “We pray, we pray to our God.” The man replied, smiling at me.

“But who is your god? Is it Izanagi-no-mikoto, the creator, do you pray to Amaterasu-ōmikami, the great spirit? Is it Raijin, the lord of thunder and the storm or is it Hachiman, the divine protector and lord of war? You say god but you don’t say which one!”

“Your frustration, what does it stem from? You have no reason to fear us. We pray to our lord, the creator and the preserver. Come inside-”

“Yuki-san”

“Come inside Yuki-san, all will be explained” The man motioned me inside. What was inside would amaze me. From the inside, the building seemed enormous, much larger than it seemed on the outside. Each wall had nearly half a dozen windows, which, like the smaller window above the door, were coloured and depicted various scenes from a tale of sorts. At the far wall a small shrine had been built with not just a cross on it, but a cross with a man tied to it. Various other bits of gold ornaments were strewn across the shrine.

“The man on the cross; who is he?” I asked as I looked closer at the golden cross, the level of detail on it amazing.

“He is Jesus and he gave up his life to cleanse us of our sins. Do you want to know more?” I nodded and the man began to speak of far away lands, of people who could part water and others who could stand on it. He spoke of virgin mothers, of pure miracles, he spoke of the first humans, yet not the tales recited by Shinto priests. With each new tale, more interest increased and before I knew it I began asking questions about all sorts of things. Questions about the little details, questions about the more important parts, questions of irrelevance and questions of morality. The man answered each question with happiness and delight. Before I knew it, the light from the windows ceased, signalling night time.

“I must go but it has been great learning all of this-”

“Father Alberto.”

“I will come back tomorrow father Alberto and you must teach me more. Thank you.” With that I left, though quite possibly with more questions than answers.

1556-Winter

Over the next couple of weeks, which seamlessly turned into months, I frequently visited father Alberto, each time with more questions. I would leave with quite possibly more questions than I had entered with, though the father was at no fault for that. In fact, each time, despite my barrage of questions, he answered every question with no annoyance or frustration and in fact, encouraged me. It was one cold winter day that he called me over to a nearby hill, which stood guard over the port and town of Bungo.
    The port and town of Bungo had been transformed. Buildings were laden with snow, turning the once brown landscape of houses into a whole different world. Children played in the snow, sometimes disappearing under the white blanket, only to appear moments later, much to the delight of their mothers. Fires burned brightly, the only source of warmth that could be found in such a harsh time as that of winter. I looked down upon all of this, almost like the creator father Alberto had talked about, from hill nearby Bungo. Alberto himself stood next to me, clothed in nothing but his usual robes, which themselves were also covered in snow.

“Yuki, you wonder why I have brought you here.” Exclaimed the Father, almost reading my mind.

“I do, Father. Why are we not in front of a fire, bathing in its warmth instead of being out here, freezing like everything else.” I replied, stopping constantly throughout my sentence to fight back the shivering.

“Because today is special, Yuki-san. You know sometimes I can almost here the bells.”

“What are you talking about father?”

“This day, 1,556 years ago, in a land far away, in a small town, in a stable-”

“Was a baby, just born, who was the son of God himself and who would save humanity from their sins.” I interrupted Father Alberto, reciting one of the only tales I had remembered from the father.

“Your knowledge impresses me, Yuki-san. That is why today is special, for it marks the birth of the saviour. We call this day Christmas. And it is a day, which unites all Christians. It is a day where one should give to another, where people should lay their differences and unite under the banner of the Church. When I said I can sometimes hear the bells ring, I was referring to the Christmas mass, held at my old church, back in a town called Porto.”

“Should I have something to give you then?” I asked, embarrassed that I hadn’t brought anything. Father Alberto shook his head.

“No, no, no. It is quite fine. I am a man of cloth but I do have something for you.” He handed me a golden cross, immaculately detailed. I looked at it in wonder, amazed at the father’s generosity.

“This is a cross I have brought with me from my homeland. It is one of two I am still in possession of. That is why you should have it, Yuki-san. You may not believe in what I believe, but you have no obligation to and your willingness to learn and ability to tolerate is more than any other man I have met.

“Now I need to give you something!” I replied, invoking a small chuckle from the father.

“I could not accept anything and in fact, I will not. Merry Christmas, Yuki-san.” With that, the father bowed and walked off into this distance and soon, he was but a figure amongst the endless white.

When I returned from my meeting with Father Alberto, I found a letter under the my door, wrapped with nothing but a piece of string. I eagerly picked, excited about who it was from. Once I had taken my spot in front of the warm fire, I opened the letter.

Dear Yuki,

I am very much sorry for my behaviour and attitude the last time we met. I was homesick and while you may think of me as tough and resilient, I am no more stronger than you. When you offered me that position, I was thrilled, delighted that for once, my life might be better than it was. No longer would I have to fight for survival, would my parents have to pray that the harvest would go well. Yuki, I don't deserve that position but if you would reinstate me than I would be indebted to you. I will hold no grudge against you if you so do decide to employ someone else. I am sorry, Yuki-sama, for all the trouble I have caused you.
    Kind regards,Aki

I placed the letter down on my desk and slumped further in my chair. Aki was like an older brother to me yet he was no state to be my advisor. I was torn completely between reinstating him or letting him go permanently. If only everything was black and white.

1557-Autumn

Sorin and I sat patiently in Sorin’s office, waiting for Motochika to gift us his presence. The late afternoon sun flooded the room with golden light and we both lay slouched in our chairs, basking like lizards on rocks. We talked about nothing in particular, local gossip and the like, the topic of conversation always varying.

It was not for another half an hour that Motochika showed up, fake apologies spluttering out of his mouth. “I am sorry Sorin-san and Yuki-san, other matters had my attention.” He straightened up his kimono, did up some of his previously undone buttons and sad down opposite to the both of us.

“We are in no particular rush, Motochika-san. What is it that you wish to discuss?” Asked Sorin, placating his inner disgust at Motochika, whom spies had caught at a nearby
    brothel only an hour beforehand.

“I wish to gain your support, politically that is.” Both Sorin and I look at each other, not liking the words coming out of Motochika’s mouth. My mind harked back to the meeting where Motochika threatened me after my involvement and I wondered why he wanted our support, when he could easily threaten me again into giving it. I guess Sorin would be a bit more of task to intimidate than myself.

“On what matters?” Replied Sorin, as calmly as he could muster.

“On matters surrounding the strategy my father has taken.” Sorin straightened into a much more formal position in his chair.

“I believe I have made myself very clear on these matters, Motochika-san.

“As have I.” I added, rather timidly I must admit.

“Yes but you must se the error of your judgement.”

“What error?” Asked Sorin, the tone in his voice getting more and more annoyed as each vial word spilled out of Motochika’s mouth.

“The Mori are powerful but not too powerful. Once we defeat them, the rest of Japan will be easy with the resources we will have at our disposal.” Motochika finished his sentence with a smug grin, like everything would magically turn out like that.

“And lose thousands of men. To reek economic havoc on ourselves. I am sorry Motochika-san but I will not do that.”

“Sorry, I forgot you only cared about your trade and coin. Always were a coward.” With that, Sorin launched himself from his chair towards Motochika, grabbing him by the throat and choking him to the point where his face went a bright red. Jumping from my chair, I desperately tried to pull Sorin away, tugging on his kimono as hard as I could. At last, he gave way, sending Motochika tumbling backwards, Straightening his kimono, he looked at Sorin with that smug, infuriating, self-satisfied, narcissistic grin that he wore so very well and said “It is Motochika-sama to you.” Lunging myself in between the two, I only barely stopped Sorin from doing something he would regret.

“Everyone calm down.” I yelled in a futile attempt to get the situation under control.

“Motochika-san, let us go to the balcony.” Motioned Sorin and, obligingly, Motochika followed, with me behind, trying to supervise them both like children. The view from Sorin’s balcony was one of the most striking sights. From there, the town and port of Bungo could be seen at its busy, bustling best, sprawling out towards the sea and the horizon. From there, one could see the various ships docked ranging from the colossal Nanban ships to the the tiny, traditional fishing boats. Beyond that the setting sun bathed the sky and ocean in orange, preparing to say goodbye to the world for another day.

“See over there, in the dock.”Pointed Sorin, Motochika following his finger. “That is my flagship, the Foreigner. It has more ammunition, more weapons, more firepower than nearly all of the navy you could muster from your various vassals and retainers combined. See the arsenal over there. Currently, more ships just like The Foreigner are being constructed so that your father, an honourable and intelligible man, may exploit their uses on the battlefield. But do not for one minute mistake them as your own or I will place you in one of the cannons, light fire to the fuse and send you flying, most presumably with a limb or two missing. Your father, not you, is my liege and I will bow to him only. Do not mistake your delusions of grandeur with real power, Motochika-san.” With that, mute as a shadow, Motochika bowed and then left, showing himself out, muttering curses under his breath as he walked. With the unpleasantry over, Sorin and I resumed our spots bathing in the sunlight.

“Drink?” Asked Sorin as he walked towards one of his cabinets.

“No thank you.” I replied, resisting the urge for the drink which once nearly ruined my life.

“The nerve. He will preside over the death of his own people to win an impossible war.” Without notice, the glass shattered in his hand, creating a multitude of shallow cuts in Sorin’s hand. “He will not become daimyo after his father. The other retainer’s won’t approve.”

“Yes but put coin in their purses and they will obey.” I said, rather cynically.

“Yes but put sword to their throat and they may just change their mind.” Replied Sorin as a multitude of servants busily rushed around him, cleaning up the mess.

“Bloodshed to stop bloodshed. But does the end justify the means?”

“Nobles die but the power does not stay empty for long. Soon enough, another noble will take the place of the deceased one. But kill a hundred peasants and who will sow the seeds for the harvest?”

“You speak like a man of the people.”

“My years after the fall of Bungo taught me many things. Both of this world and the next. The peasants pay the taxes to feed the nobles. Without the peasants, the nobles grow hungry. Without the peasants, the world grinds to halt.”

“If only Motochika saw it that way.” I sighed, annoyed that more nobles couldn’t be like Sorin.

“He will, sooner or later……..”

1558-Summer

“I hear you a famed for your success ratio and handling of….well delicate contracts.” Exclaimed Sorin, his voice barely above a whisper and only audible to its intended listener, the noise from the rest of the sake den concealing it from prying ears.

“Yes, Sorin-sama, you can rely on me.”The hooded man leant forward, as to be only a whisker away from Sorin. “The question is; why does someone like you need someone like me?”

“Because sometimes,” started Sorin, interrupting himself for a sip of sake, “politics and words are not enough. Because sometimes, work of a dirtier manner is needed.” Winked
    Sorin, further reclining back into his chair and taking another sip from his cup. The hooded man also slouched back into his chair, waving at one of the girls to fetch him a drink.

“How much are talking?” Asked the hooded man, a cheeky grin on his face.

“Six hundred koku” Replied Sorin.

“Higher”

“Seven hundred”

“Gettin’ there.”

“Eight hundred and fifty. Final offer.”

“Now we’re talking.” Laughed the hooded man, sipping the sake the sake one of the girls had just brought over. He turned around to the girl, a squeal bursting from her mouth as he spanked her bottom. “And how much for you?”

“Too much for you to afford!” Snarked the girl, slapping the man’s hand away then walking away.

“We haven’t discussed the target yet. Who?” Placing the sake cup back on the table, Sorin leant forward until he was inches from the hooded man’s face.

“Motochika. I want you to kill Chosokabe Motochika.”

1559-Spring

It was a day like any other day on the streets of Bungo. Children played around me and Suzume, hiding behind us and then running out the other side. Beggars lay in the gutters, only stopping constant coughing when someone went by. Young men sung poems of love to their beloveds, who stood trapped on the balcony of their home. Dogs ran up and down the streets, their owners desperately chasing them behind.

I was on my way to meet one of our spies who had recently returned from a mission located in the Buzen province. Word had spread from traders, that the Mori had increased their military presences, calling upon vassals for men and money. Yet, know one knew what for, or more importantly, who for. The recent fall of the Ouchi clan had left the Mori and their vassals with increased land and with it, increased power. Suzume on the other hand was on her way to the markets yet again to retrieve some goods, which had recently arrived. I was suspicious where exactly these goods were coming from, yet, like usual, Suzume was keeping it all under wraps. I was also curious why Suzume did this stuff herself, instead of letting one of the servants to do it for her. My questions were met with responses lecturing me on our we must not make others do everything for us and we should not let this rise in social status go to our heads.

Just before Suzume and I parted ways, I was bumped into by a clumsy kid, no older than ten I would say. He apologised quickly, yet after his initial apologies he handed me a letter, bearing the mon of the Mori clan as well the mons of some of their important vassals and retainers. Confused, I opened the letter, skimming over its contents in a rush. Yet, something stood out. After reading it again, I realised what it was. No it couldn’t be. I thought to my self, hoping that this was a fabrication, a fake. If it was, it was of the up most detail but something inside of me knew it wasn’t.

“Suzume, come over here, see this.” Suzume too skimmed over the letter and seeing little importance in it, started to divert her attention away. Pulling her back, I told her to read it again and, like myself, it was only after reading it again that she took in the seriousness of the situation.

“Suzume, we’re going back now. I’m sorry, your things must wait, this is too important to delay.” And with that, we rushed back to our house, fearful of what would come next.

Kunichika sat at his desk, his nails slowly tapping in sync with the waves. Gulls fought overhead, occasionally dropping pieces of fish onto the people below. The sun warmed the water, turning it from ice bath to a relaxing temperature, so much so that many soldiers could be seen swimming happily around the ships. Yet, in the daimyo’s quarters, no light from the sun reached, the only light originating from a small lamp hanging precariously on the corner of the table. The musty smell of the wood, combined with the incense, created an almost suffocating atmosphere.

He had been locked in there for three days now, ‘preparing’ himself for the war ahead, a war so meticulously planned that it could not go wrong. His son’s war fleet was anchored of the coast of the province of Bitchu, ready to strike as soon as his father lay foot on the eastern coast of Shikoku. It was all planned to the last detail and now it was all in place, all they had to do was wait.

Knock, knock.

“It’s a messenger from Yuki-san, tono. He brings news from Kyushu, urgent news.”

No reply.

“Tono?”

“Send him in.” Kunichika’s voice was muffled, weak compared to his usual low, all-penetrating voice. The messenger almost fell through the door, panting, salt running along his arms from the spray of the sea, his hair ruffled, his eyes devoid of much needed sleep.

“Excuse me tono, I have been sailing non-stop for days, Yuki-san sent me-”

“Get to the point.” Interrupted Kunichika, annoyed just by the man’s presence and caring little for the over-exaggerated stories babbling from the messenger’s mouth.

“Yuki-san brings urgent news from Sorin-sama.” Cited the messenger, occasionally stopping for gasps of air. “He states that due to the conclusion of the Ouchi-Mori war, the Mori daimyo, has found it necessary to turn his sights towards new targets and on the first day of Spring, 1559, a declaration of war was received, bearing the Morin mon as the signature of the Mori daimyo himself, Mori Takamoto. Therefore, currently, your vassal, Otomo Sorin, is at war with your ally, Mori Takamoto. Yuki-san asks for your decision on the matter in order so Sorin-sama can alter his war preparations accordingly.” At hearing this, Kunichika’s eyes widened, not with excitement but with anger or rage. His fingers began to tap quicker and more violently, his breaths becoming short and exasperated. He slowly got up, pushing away the wooden stool in the process and walked over to one of the walls of the ship, calmly and as if nothing had happened. He took one deep breath and the messenger gave a small sigh of relief. But without warning, he punched the wall, his fist puncturing a hole in the wooden planks. The messenger cowered near the doorway, slowly inching himself away from his daimyo, who raced from end to end of his quarters, destroying everything in his path like a man possessed. Bottles crashed into the wall, their contents spilling over the floor. Papers went flying and pieces of furniture were repeatedly smashed into the wall. It was at least ten minutes until he had suppressed his anger enough for him to walk normally. Finally, he burst out onto the deck of the ship, covering his eyes as they met their first glimpse of sunlight in days.

“Change course captain.”Yelled Kunichika, his usual intimidating force heard by the entire crew. “We head for Koriyama and for Mori lands!”

A Merchant’s Christmas Message

Ho ho ho. Is it that time of year again? Wow, I really can’t believe its been year since I first started this humble AAR after having a marathon session of reading through Robin’s Takeda AAR, a masterpiece, which I often look to inspiration for. It has ben quite a year. Stuff could have gone a lot better for me but then again, stuff could have also been a hell of a lot worse. I started this AAR with only a little bit of AARtistry experience and I hope over this past year I have grown as a writer. While I may not be the most frequent uploader, I have big plans for Yuki and co. and believe me there is a long road ahead for them. A road I must travel myself. With the holidays, comes loads of free time and with that free time, I have made a pledge to myself to start updating a lot more frequently (I’m talking once a week uploads). In fact, I’ll start the next chapter on Boxing Day.

Remember though, be sure to check out f0ma’s Road to Kyoto and please support a fellow writer, also fairly new to TWC. Also, from the more experienced writers, comes McScottish’s Namu Amida Butsu as well as the aforementioned Robin de Bodemloze’s and his new AAR, Wings of Destiny. They are all talented writers whose stories have so much potential, potential I know will be fulfilled.

But in the end, above all, I hope you will have/ are having/ have had a very merry Christmas surrounded by loved ones and friends. I hope that this most special day is special for all of you, religious or non-religious, and I hope that the Christmas spirit is very alive in every one of you. Also, make sure to have a happy New Year.

Kind Regards,

Merchant of Venice
    Last edited by Merchant of Venice; December 25, 2013 at 06:36 AM.

Default Re: Way of the Bow:A Chosokabe AAR-(Updated Chapter XI 24/12)

I just caught up on reading - this has grown wonderfully in my absence. Thank you for the kind words - and long may your AAR continue!
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Quote Originally Posted by Robin de Bodemloze View Post
    I just caught up on reading - this has grown wonderfully in my absence. Thank you for the kind words - and long may your AAR continue!
    No, thank you for your kind words.

Update on the next chapter, I'm about 75% of the way through it so be prepared for possibly a New Year's Day update. From there, its full steam ahead and I promise loads of battles with the Mori (well I hope)

Chapter XIII- Fine Day for an Execution

1559-Spring

Chisato lay on his bed, staring up at wooden ceiling, as his mind wandered from thought to thought, not staying on any one train of thought for more than few minutes. Technically, it wasn’t actually his bed, it was the tavern owner’s bed, but he had……rented it. It was of course, merely complimentary with the girl. He had told her they didn’t even need a bed but she had insisted and so that was that. No point arguing with such a strong-willed girl over trivial matters, it was a good enough night anyway. She was a bit surprisingly lifeless though…..

“You’re still here!” She yawned and stretched out her arms before leaping back on top of him, much to the dual surprise and delight of Chisato. “Many of them rush of to their wives after getting what they wanted. But you just want more, don’t you.” She said, her fingers playfully dancing up his arms, forcing a small smile out of Chisato. The smile didn’t last long though, as he gently pushed her back off him and jumped from the bed, injuring one of his toes on the landing.

“Izanagi’s balls!” He shouted, the words leaping from his mouth.

“What’s wrong?” The girl asked, timidly.

“Nothing you have to worry about, love.” He replied as he walked over to where his kimono was hanging, a slight limp in his step. “I am sorry. I have to be somewhere.” He said as he finished dressing himself.

“Back to your wife I suspect.” Said the girl, a slight air of resentment in her voice as she pulled the covers back over herself.

“No, no, no. I wish, then I wouldn’t have to spend money on girls. No I have an execution to go to.” He said, leaping back on to the bead, clothed this time, and giving the girl a small peck on the cheek.

“Will you come back? I enjoyed last night.” She said, slightly embarrassed by what she said.

“I don’t know. Will we go all night long if I do?” The girl nodded in reply, smiling like a child. “Then I will.” He said, opening the door, slowly and silently.

“Don’t get killed!” The girl shouted. Peeking out from around the corner, he replied.

“Don’t worry, I’ll be the one doing the killing.” With a disdainful smile, he left, the girl collapsing back into her pillow.

Motochika stood proud and arrogant on the wooden platform, while the condemned criminal stood next to him, his head in a noose, sweating feverishly as he begged for mercy, his hands shivering in fear. The day was neither particularly sunny nor cloudy, though a few isolated clouds did drift idly across the sky, sometimes daring to block out the sun, though their bravado only lasting minutes before the sun re-emerged victorious. A large crowd had gathered around the platform on which Motochika was standing and they all stood beady-eyed, waiting for the execution to start, though their patience wearing thinner with each line of propaganda that spilled out of Motochika’s unholy mouth. Sorin stood next to him, nodding at regular intervals so that his annoyance may not be as obvious as it was, his frustration ever clear to me. As Sorin stepped forward in order to give is own address, an address that was was much more focused on the matter at hand, the execution, than war propaganda, an ever increasing sense that something was wrong stirred inside of me. It was not just the haunting atmosphere that followed executions, a public event, which to my mind was gruesome and a waste of time, but more that something was going on and it was using the execution as a mere disguise. All I knew was that it involved Motochika and Sorin, for I feared their clash of egos was about to bubble over.

Soon, though, the signs began to reveal themselves. A flash of black here, a muffled scream over there, a couple of footsteps here and there. The guards, who had been stationed around the edge of the crowd, began to disappear one by one, not at an alarming rate nor noticeable to anyone fixated on the execution but enough to grab my attention. I looked at Sorin, who was on the brink of yawning as Motochika had begun to address the crowd a second time, much to the dissatisfaction of everyone except those payed to agree with him. I continued to stare at Sorin, hoping that he would notice me and indeed, after glancing over me a couple of times, he did.

Something is wrong.
    I mouthed, only just realising it was our only form of communication.
    Do not worry. He replied, giving me a re-assuring smile with it. It was then that I worked it out, like a mental connect the dots. The arguments, the threats, the curses, the secret meetings, the disappearing guards, the muffled screams, the flashes of black.

Ninja.

Call him off.
    I mouthed to Sorin, though perhaps it would have been a bit more convincing had I actually spoken it instead of just moving my mouth like a koi.

I can’t
    . Replied Sorin, an almost satisfactory grin on his face.

Call him off now! I repeated. Sorin looked around trying to spot the very man he had hired. I saw his eyes skim the crowd several times, quickly analysing everyone. As inconspicuously as he could he took a quick glance over his shoulder and there he was. Clothed in nothing but black, his eyes the only things not covered by his black gards, a small tanto hanging at his waist, gleaming with bloodlust just like his jet black eyes. In one hand he held a bow, which looked of expert craftsmanship even from where I was standing. His other hand reached over his shoulder and snatched an arrow from his quill. There were only seconds to act now.

Call him off
    . I repeated, making a begging action actions with my hands, meanwhile invoking weird expressions from the people standing beside me.

Too late.

And so, as Motochika finished his second speech and took his place next to Sorin, an eerie silence befell the place as the seconds drew closer to the execution. I stood in the middle of the crowd, amongst others who were simply hear to watch a criminal be hanged not a nobleman die, powerless except to watch as Motochika, a man who could invoke no compliments or praises from me, died by the arrow of a man hired by Sorin, a man who I had hoped was better than this. If uncovered, not only Sorin would face the tyranny of Kunichika, but his people would as well. The decisions made today would lead the clan of the Chosokabe down one of two paths; the path to victory or the path to death and destruction by our own hands. Secretly I knew Sorin was going through all of this in his own head. He took one last look at his enemy, the man he despised over anyone else, the man who would arguably lead his own people to their deaths. Did Motochika still have a ray of hope within him? Was the salvation that father Alberto spoke of still possible for this man? Only time would tell, though it seemed Motochika’s time was running out. But then Sorin looked at me, looked into my pleading eyes, took a quick glance at Motochika and turned his head around to face his hired ninja. After exchanging looks, Sorin shook his head. I breathed a sigh of relief, delighted that Sorin decided the course of action that he did. That he had spared Motochika’s life-

Twang!

“Izanagi’s balls!” Yelled Motochika as an arrow landed in the back of his right knee, Motochika crumbling to the floor in agony as his right knee gave way. Within an instant, the ninja was off the rooftop, diving from the roof into a pile of leaves as if they were water. He emerged out of them, unscathed and, drawing his tanto from his waist, began to charge towards Motochika. Leaping onto the platform, he charged into Sorin, sending him to the floor, in what must have been a staged fight, organised and practised earlier. He then went straight for Motochika who was busy trying to pull the arrow from his knee so he could stand back up, though his efforts were halted by the ninja, who had grabbed him and now had his tanto his throat, threatening to kill.

“This man is a bastard, a thief, a bloodthirsty warlord. People of Bungo, do not listen to his words of propaganda, do not pay him any attention at all and above all, do not fear him!” The ninja slowly pulled his tanto away from Motochika’s neck, invoking a sigh of relief from Motochika himself, who was panting and sweating heavily. But his sigh was cut short as the ninja plunged his blade into Motochika’s thigh, blood spilling out from his leg, staining his white kimono. Letting go of Motochika entirely, Motochika himself fell back, now lying as helpless as the criminal who stood next to him, though probably not as happy as the criminal. Screams from the crowd drew more and more of the guards who had now encircled the platform. Suddenly a woman fainted, falling back into the arms of the person behind her, who was clearly quite shocked at the development herself. Using this as a distraction, the ninja picked up Motochika’s left arm and, after cutting off the sleeve of Motochika’s undoubtedly expensive kimono, preceded to slice down the length of Motochika’s arm, cutting deep enough to draw blood. It was then that the guards began to act. Running onto the platform, one of the guards charged straight for the ninja with his yari. Ducking, the ninja disarmed the guard and stabbed him right through the chest, pushing him over for good measure. Two more guards charged towards the ninja, managing to encircle him. Simultaneously, they charged, katanas raised and gleaming in the sunlight. Dodging to the side, the ninja evaded both of them as they cut into each other, the guards not being able to stop their attacks in time. After drawing their katanas out of the other guard, the guards charged individually this time, though to even less avail. All it took was a block, then kick to the groin, then stab to the chest to take out the first guard. The second one proved harder for the ninja. After a series of blocks and attacks, the two were engaged in a furious melee. It was the ninja who attacked, only for the guard to block it, sending the ninja’s tanto flying. Kicking him down, the ninja now lay on the ground, the guard standing above him, katana raised. Just as the guard began to arc the katana behind his back, the ninja kicked twice at his opponent’s legs and after trapping one of the guards legs between his own, the ninja twisted, sending the guard to the floor in front of him. Picking up the katana the guard had just dropped, the ninja plunged it into the guards chest, no pomp and ceremony needed. Several more guards began to charge towards the ninja and with what seemed like a sigh, he sent ten or mores shuriken flying towards them, not enough to kill or maim, but enough to slow down his attackers. With one last smoke bomb, the ninja disappeared, flashes of black in the distance the only sign he was ever there. With the ninja gone, I ran over to Sorin, who had been dragged off the platform by one of the guards and was now dealing with some of his servants.

“We need to talk. Now!” I exclaimed angrily, appalled at the events that had just gone by.

“Yuki, Yuki. Not here, there are other people.” Whispered Sorin as he rubbed one of his fake wounds. For a couple of moments I complied but then I remembered what had just happened.

“No, I don’t give a crap about your need for subtlety. What the hell just happened.”

“Yuki, Yuki, please there are people watching.” Whispered Sorin again, ushering me into his office and sliding the door shut. “Motochika is alive is he not?” Grinned Sorin as he poured himself a cup of sake.

“Barely. And while he is alive, there are three, possibly four innocent guards dead because your ninja decided to show off and kill some guards just to boost his own ego.” I yelled, walking out onto the balcony so I didn’t have to face Sorin. It was at that moment that quite an unexpected visitor walked through the door.

“Yuki? Was it your voice that I heard?” Asked Aki, grinning like a little child. I could hardly contain both my surprise and happiness.

“Aki? You came back?”

“Yes, only to see our daimyo’s son get assaulted by none other than a hired assassin. Sorin are you alright as well?”

“Sorin is more than alright!” I shouted, banging my fist into the railings on the balcony, in hindsight a rather stupid idea. “Go on. Tell him!”

“I do not know what you are talking about Yuki!” Replied Sorin, acting as innocent as he could pull off.

“Tell him how you got Motochika lying on the floor near dead.” Aki’s initial reaction was all that I expected and hoped. Finally, someone to agree with me.
    “Good.”

“What?” I replied, astonished by Aki’s answer.

“Good. That man can rot in yomi for all I care.”

“He won’t, though, but three innocent men might.” It was then, at the worst possible time, that the man of the matter, Motochika appeared. I could only pray that he had not overheard anything.

“May Izanami have mercy on you. Do not begin to apologise for what happened out there!” Yelled Motochika, his face bright red, though whether it was from anger or the blood one could not tell.

“Motochika-san, you should be in the infirmary or in your quarters being treated to.” Said Sorin, calmly. “And what should I apologise for?” Continued Sorin, taking a long sip from his sake cup. He shot me a glance, warning me with his eyes not to speak and I somewhat agreed with him, this was not my battle.

“Do not dare tell me where I should be. I should be with my army, marshalling them and preparing for the march to Dazzaifu. But I am here, trying to survive from wounds, which may just kill me!” Motochika paced around the room, nagging his finger at us as his mouth yelled at us and curse dunder its breath.

“That is an exaggeration. Your wounds won’t-”

“They might and right now you are no position to lecture me on whether my wounds are fatal or not. Your guards were hopeless, no, they were worse than hopeless. Add to that, I presume the assailant has escaped?

“Yes.” Nodded Sorin, looking at his feet like a child in trouble. I feared though, that this child might have had enough.

“Useless. Wait until my father hears of this.”

“AND THEN WHAT?” Shouted Sorin, throwing the sake cup to the floor. “What will happen then. I am of no fault in this situation. You still stand so count yourself lucky. You want to get better? Go sleep with one of the whores in one of the brothels. You go to them regularly enough! Could you even recognise your wife?”

“Do not bring my wife into this.” Warned Motochika, his fists clenched and his knuckles going white.

“Why? Does she even know that each night her husband spends the night on top of another of another woman, two if he is feeling happy? What would happen if another man slept with her?”

“I warn you.”

“What would happen if I went there and made love to your wife? You don’t love her and I doubt you ever did? In fact, I doubt you could have the capacity to love! You only wish for carnal desires, not love.” That seemed to really tick off Motochika and within an instant, Sorin was on the floor, victim to a punch to the jaw from Motochika.

“You will rot in yomi!” Snarled Motochika as he tended to his wrist.

“Good. We will meet in this world and the next!” Grinned Motochika as he was helped by Aki and me. With that, Motochika stormed out, not caring to open the door but rather just walking straight through the rice paper wall. “Good riddance.” Sorin added as he poured himself another cup of sake.

“I think I will go now. I have stuff to sort out and there has been enough arguing for one day.” And with that, I made my exit as well, though perhaps with a tad bit less anger than Motochika before me.

“What in Izanagi’s name happened, Yuki-san?” Yelled Kunichika as he paced around the small room, glancing at artwork and furniture along the way. Servant rushed around him like bees in a hive, busily cleaning, decorating and attending their daimyo. “My own son is assaulted and abused in front of a hundred or so people by a hired assassin! How the hell did he get in? Were the guards asleep or something?” He asked, myself only picking up on his sarcasm moments before I was about to answer. “Are they even close to catching the man responsible?”

“I believe they are, tono. I believe the city watch are right on his heels.” I said, submissively.

“They better be. And was this some sort of plot by some retainers or vassals? You’re job was to sniff out stuff like this or do I have to remind you.” I gave a solemn shake of the head, not daring to open my mouth. “Well, was it?”

“No, tono.” I replied, my face to the ground as I desperately tried to avoid eye contact. Unhappy with my response, Kunichika continued to question me.

“I have received rumours that Sorin-sama and my son are not…..how do I put this? Friends. Is this true, Yuki-san?” I muttered a few curses my breath. Who the hell told him about this? As if I needed another piece of bad news.

“No, tono. I have not heard those rumours.” I lied, trying to control my anger.

“Yuki-san!” I looked up to see those eyes, those black, penetrating eyes, staring at me, staring at my soul. I finally burst.

“There is some truth to those rumours. But I believe it is nothing that can’t be sorted out over time.” I lied again, knowing fully that their rift would never be solved.

“Fix it, Yuki-san. I will not have my heir and one of my most powerful vassals fighting. The last thing I need is a divided clan. Now go. There are siege preparations I need to plan.”
    Bowing, I hastily made exit. Kunichika was right. Infighting is the last we need in the middle of war against the Mori. I just prayed that the Mori might be having their own troubles as well.

The commander of the town watch was a peculiar man.

It wasn’t just his need for organisation, his erratic remarks or even the occasional wink when one wasn’t called for. He was just a little, peculiar man. Plump, certainly not fit and most definitely not a warrior of any sort, he was a man who you would not associate with any sort of command, let alone that of a town. Maybe that was how Sorin’s hired assassin infiltrated the town so easily…..

“Do you like the sake?” He inquired, though almost urging me to say yes. “I had it imported from the lands up north. Date clan or something. Nice people, though they are northerners. Take that as you will.”

“Koboyo-san, I am drinking water. Remember you poured it for me.” I replied, unsure of whether to laugh or feel worried at his sheer incompetence.

“Ahh that is right. Well I had that imported from the Date men as well. For only a couple of koku per barrel.”

“You are aware that there is free water at your disposal from here in Bungo.” I remarked, wondering if it indeed it was actually processed by the brain of the commander.

“Yes, but it tastes different.” He replied, a hint of doubt in his words.

“I am sure it does not Koboyo-san.” After a brief silence, where we both tried to evade each other’s eyes, I attempted steer the conversation back to what I had originally intended to
    talk about. “Koboyo-san, I am here to discuss the events of yesterday.”

“I had nothing to do with it. Nothing I swear. There was no money, no bribes, nothing. We are still working on tracking down the individual.” He said, the words rushing out of his mouth at a speed barely understandable to myself.

“I am quite sure you did not have anything to do with it. But as a member of Sorin-sama’s court and a representative of Kunichika-sama, you must understand that my liege is merely worried. It is not everyday that his son and heir is attacked and injured by a hired assassin. I wish simply to hunt out and find this man.” After a few moments, of frantic breathing and panicking, the commander calmed down, well calmed down enough for me to converse with him.

“As I said earlier, we are still trying to track the man down, he seems to be quite illusive. We even fear he may have fled the town.”

“Are there any clues, which you can share with me, possibly leading to his whereabouts?” I asked, though very much doubting the incompetent man would have anything.

“We have one lead, though I doubt our witness is reliable.” He said. “One of the girls at a local tavern has tipped us off that she saw a hooded man in the tavern, though she is a…..”

“Prostitute?”

“Shhh.” He put his finger to his lips, though I was unsure of the need for secrecy. “Yes.” He said in a voice only just louder than a whisper, yet again for reasons I could not ascertain.
    “Him and her…..”

“Slept together?”

“Shhh. Yes.”

“Did she get a good look at his face.” I asked, trying to push the commander as far I could.

“She could not describe him.” He said, rather disappointingly.

“Give me the location and I will visit there myself.” I said, eager to sort this mess out.

“Bring some of my guards will you.” The commander said as he stared blankly into his sake cup.

“That will not be needed. I think going by myself will be the best in this situation.” After paying my goodbyes, I left the commander to his Date water and other obsessions, though
    perhaps leaving such a man to his own contraptions is not the wisest of ideas.

“Is there a Chisato-san?” I asked, trying to be louder than the rest of the room, which was full of drunken idiots yelling at each other despite being a hair’s whisker away from each
    other.

“Who is asking?” Asked a hooded man as he took sip after sip from his sake cup.

“I am Yuki-san and-”

“And what are you here for?” Interrupted the hooded man, seemingly caring little for politeness.

“I hold a position in Sorin-sama’s court and I believe you know why I am here.” The hooded jumped up and grabbed me by the neck, pushing me over to one of the tables.

“Shut up and take a seat.” Obligingly I took my seat, eager not to get in trouble with the man considering I had seen what he could do.

“I know who hired you and I am not going to imprison you. Believe me, if I was going to do that, there would be several of the town watch behind me. No, I am here to offer you an
    escape. A new life away from this business.”

“And why would I want that?”

“Because Motochika-sama will hunt you down if you stay here.”

“I am not afraid of Motochika-sama.” Replied the hooded man, placing his sake cup down in defiance. “Oh, but you are. Why?” How could he have seen through me like this I thought to myself. Was I that obvious?

“I am scared what he will do to Sorin if you, when you talk.”

“I will not talk!”

“You will, they always do.”

The windows of my house shone relatively dimly than those of the houses around it, planting a small seed of panic within me, worried that something was wrong. My steps were small and staggered as I scanned everything in front of me, looking for something, which may indeed signal that something was wrong. Minute details, a broken branch, a dent in the wall, the pebbles not arranged neatly, were magnified into evidence of a fight. I knocked frantically at the door, each moment of silence stretched out, my worse fear resurfacing, Suzume-

“What time do you call this?” Asked Suzume, hands on hips and a cheeky grin to go with it. I took a long deep breath of the warm, summer air, the freshness calming down my fears, the slight moisture in the air dampening my worries.

“Oh Suzume!” I lunged forward, hugging her as she stood frozen, most probably slightly worried for me. I kissed her, her warm lips the final antidote. The relaxing hint of sake on her lips, the scent of roses on her neck, the happiness, which bubbled up from her heart into me. “You know I love you.”I whispered into her ear. She gave a small nod, her cheeks blushing as she gently smiled.“And I would never do anything to hurt you.” She nodded again, as I squeezed her hand.

“What is this about, Yuki?” She asked, her faint voice lost in the warm air as the notes of her voice passed off into the distance.

“Suzume, I am scared. Scared of the war, of change, of the death, of injury. You could say pretty much everything.” I smiled towards the end as I realised how stupid I must have sounded.

“Do not be scared my love.” She said, as we looked at out from our door to the horizon. “Above all, do not fear death. We should fear your death!” She laughed as she saw the rather traumatised expression on my face. “You are right to be scared, Yuki. Dangers are present yet is that not what makes life exciting? Fear them but do not show it. Everyone is afraid of something, of somewhere, of something. Even me.” I burst out laughing, the thought of Suzume trembling in fear a sight I must see. “Do not laugh! I fear many things. I’m scared of some of the men at the ports, I am scared of owls and their eyes, I am scared of those fire arrow things, I am scared for my father, for you.”

“Owls do have scary eyes.” I admitted, though the thought of Suzume scared still forcing a smile out of me.

“You see, even I am scared. But don’t let those fears get to you. What are you most afraid of Yuki?” There was only one answer to that, only one thing that came instantly to mind.

“Losing you.” I said as I stared into her hazelnut eyes as they twinkled like the stars above. I could see her blushing, as much as she tried to hide it.

“Yuki-”

“Its fine if you don’t fear losing me” I lied. Nothing could be more heart wrenching, more heart heartbreaking.

“Yuki, I don’t fear losing you because I could not imagine losing you. You’re always there, my little rock. Always keeping down, not letting me get ahead of myself, not letting me run away. I’m the loose cannon, the one who might just end up being her own demise whereas you, you’re the sensible one, the one who has everything planned, everything goes your way. I don’t love you any less, I just know you’ll never leave me. But if you did-” Her eyes began to tear up, her voice going croaky.

“I won’t.” I said clutching her soft, delicate hands, feeling their warmth. I wiped the tears away slowly as her smile returned. “We’re leaving tomorrow for Bizen.”

“Tomorrow?” Asked Suzume, surprised.

“Yes, did you not know?”

“No, I did not. We must make tonight special then.” She kissed me, gave a small wink and then beckoned me to come inside. For one night I would put aside my fears and let myself go. For one night, I was free of the troubles of Sorin, of Motochika, of the Mori, of the world. Only me and Suzume, just like it used to be.

Chapter XIII- Fine Day for an Execution

1559- Spring

Chisato lay on his bed, staring up at wooden ceiling, as his mind wandered from thought to thought, not staying on any one train of thought for more than few minutes. Technically, it wasn’t actually his bed, it was the tavern owner’s bed, but he had……rented it. It was of course, merely complimentary with the girl. He had told her they didn’t even need a bed but she had insisted and so that was that. No point arguing with such a strong-willed girl over trivial matters, it was a good enough night anyway. She was a bit surprisingly lifeless though…..

“You’re still here!” She yawned and stretched out her arms before leaping back on top of him, much to the dual surprise and delight of Chisato. “Many of them rush of to their wives after getting what they wanted. But you just want more, don’t you.” She said, her fingers playfully dancing up his arms, forcing a small smile out of Chisato. The smile didn’t last long though, as he gently pushed her back off him and jumped from the bed, injuring one of his toes on the landing.

“Izanagi’s balls!” He shouted, the words leaping from his mouth.

“What’s wrong?” The girl asked, timidly.

“Nothing you have to worry about, love.” He replied as he walked over to where his kimono was hanging, a slight limp in his step. “I am sorry. I have to be somewhere.” He said as he finished dressing himself.

“Back to your wife I suspect.” Said the girl, a slight air of resentment in her voice as she pulled the covers back over herself.

“No, no, no. I wish, then I wouldn’t have to spend money on girls. No I have an execution to go to.” He said, leaping back on to the bead, clothed this time, and giving the girl a small peck on the cheek.

“Will you come back? I enjoyed last night.” She said, slightly embarrassed by what she said.

“I don’t know. Will we go all night long if I do?” The girl nodded in reply, smiling like a child. “Then I will.” He said, opening the door, slowly and silently.

“Don’t get killed!” The girl shouted. Peeking out from around the corner, he replied.

“Don’t worry, I’ll be the one doing the killing.” With a disdainful smile, he left, the girl collapsing back into her pillow.

Motochika stood proud and arrogant on the wooden platform, while the condemned criminal stood next to him, his head in a noose, sweating feverishly as he begged for mercy, his hands shivering in fear. The day was neither particularly sunny nor cloudy, though a few isolated clouds did drift idly across the sky, sometimes daring to block out the sun, though their bravado only lasting minutes before the sun re-emerged victorious. A large crowd had gathered around the platform on which Motochika was standing and they all stood beady-eyed, waiting for the execution to start, though their patience wearing thinner with each line of propaganda that spilled out of Motochika’s unholy mouth. Sorin stood next to him, nodding at regular intervals so that his annoyance may not be as obvious as it was, his frustration ever clear to me. As Sorin stepped forward in order to give is own address, an address that was was much more focused on the matter at hand, the execution, than war propaganda, an ever increasing sense that something was wrong stirred inside of me. It was not just the haunting atmosphere that followed executions, a public event, which to my mind was gruesome and a waste of time, but more that something was going on and it was using the execution as a mere disguise. All I knew was that it involved Motochika and Sorin, for I feared their clash of egos was about to bubble over.

Soon, though, the signs began to reveal themselves. A flash of black here, a muffled scream over there, a couple of footsteps here and there. The guards, who had been stationed around the edge of the crowd, began to disappear one by one, not at an alarming rate nor noticeable to anyone fixated on the execution but enough to grab my attention. I looked at Sorin, who was on the brink of yawning as Motochika had begun to address the crowd a second time, much to the dissatisfaction of everyone except those payed to agree with him. I continued to stare at Sorin, hoping that he would notice me and indeed, after glancing over me a couple of times, he did.

Something is wrong.
    I mouthed, only just realising it was our only form of communication.
    Do not worry. He replied, giving me a re-assuring smile with it. It was then that I worked it out, like a mental connect the dots. The arguments, the threats, the curses, the secret meetings, the disappearing guards, the muffled screams, the flashes of black.

Ninja.

Call him off.
    I mouthed to Sorin, though perhaps it would have been a bit more convincing had I actually spoken it instead of just moving my mouth like a koi.

I can’t
    . Replied Sorin, an almost satisfactory grin on his face.

Call him off now! I repeated. Sorin looked around trying to spot the very man he had hired. I saw his eyes skim the crowd several times, quickly analysing everyone. As inconspicuously as he could he took a quick glance over his shoulder and there he was. Clothed in nothing but black, his eyes the only things not covered by his black gards, a small tanto hanging at his waist, gleaming with bloodlust just like his jet black eyes. In one hand he held a bow, which looked of expert craftsmanship even from where I was standing. His other hand reached over his shoulder and snatched an arrow from his quill. There were only seconds to act now.

Call him off
    . I repeated, making a begging action actions with my hands, meanwhile invoking weird expressions from the people standing beside me.

Too late.

And so, as Motochika finished his second speech and took his place next to Sorin, an eerie silence befell the place as the seconds drew closer to the execution. I stood in the middle of the crowd, amongst others who were simply hear to watch a criminal be hanged not a nobleman die, powerless except to watch as Motochika, a man who could invoke no compliments or praises from me, died by the arrow of a man hired by Sorin, a man who I had hoped was better than this. If uncovered, not only Sorin would face the tyranny of Kunichika, but his people would as well. The decisions made today would lead the clan of the Chosokabe down one of two paths; the path to victory or the path to death and destruction by our own hands. Secretly I knew Sorin was going through all of this in his own head. He took one last look at his enemy, the man he despised over anyone else, the man who would arguably lead his own people to their deaths. Did Motochika still have a ray of hope within him? Was the salvation that father Alberto spoke of still possible for this man? Only time would tell, though it seemed Motochika’s time was running out. But then Sorin looked at me, looked into my pleading eyes, took a quick glance at Motochika and turned his head around to face his hired ninja. After exchanging looks, Sorin shook his head. I breathed a sigh of relief, delighted that Sorin decided the course of action that he did. That he had spared Motochika’s life-

Twang!

“Izanagi’s balls!” Yelled Motochika as an arrow landed in the back of his right knee, Motochika crumbling to the floor in agony as his right knee gave way. Within an instant, the ninja was off the rooftop, diving from the roof into a pile of leaves as if they were water. He emerged out of them, unscathed and, drawing his tanto from his waist, began to charge towards Motochika. Leaping onto the platform, he charged into Sorin, sending him to the floor, in what must have been a staged fight, organised and practised earlier. He then went straight for Motochika who was busy trying to pull the arrow from his knee so he could stand back up, though his efforts were halted by the ninja, who had grabbed him and now had his tanto his throat, threatening to kill.

“This man is a bastard, a thief, a bloodthirsty warlord. People of Bungo, do not listen to his words of propaganda, do not pay him any attention at all and above all, do not fear him!” The ninja slowly pulled his tanto away from Motochika’s neck, invoking a sigh of relief from Motochika himself, who was panting and sweating heavily. But his sigh was cut short as the ninja plunged his blade into Motochika’s thigh, blood spilling out from his leg, staining his white kimono. Letting go of Motochika entirely, Motochika himself fell back, now lying as helpless as the criminal who stood next to him, though probably not as happy as the criminal. Screams from the crowd drew more and more of the guards who had now encircled the platform. Suddenly a woman fainted, falling back into the arms of the person behind her, who was clearly quite shocked at the development herself. Using this as a distraction, the ninja picked up Motochika’s left arm and, after cutting off the sleeve of Motochika’s undoubtedly expensive kimono, preceded to slice down the length of Motochika’s arm, cutting deep enough to draw blood. It was then that the guards began to act. Running onto the platform, one of the guards charged straight for the ninja with his yari. Ducking, the ninja disarmed the guard and stabbed him right through the chest, pushing him over for good measure. Two more guards charged towards the ninja, managing to encircle him. Simultaneously, they charged, katanas raised and gleaming in the sunlight. Dodging to the side, the ninja evaded both of them as they cut into each other, the guards not being able to stop their attacks in time. After drawing their katanas out of the other guard, the guards charged individually this time, though to even less avail. All it took was a block, then kick to the groin, then stab to the chest to take out the first guard. The second one proved harder for the ninja. After a series of blocks and attacks, the two were engaged in a furious melee. It was the ninja who attacked, only for the guard to block it, sending the ninja’s tanto flying. Kicking him down, the ninja now lay on the ground, the guard standing above him, katana raised. Just as the guard began to arc the katana behind his back, the ninja kicked twice at his opponent’s legs and after trapping one of the guards legs between his own, the ninja twisted, sending the guard to the floor in front of him. Picking up the katana the guard had just dropped, the ninja plunged it into the guards chest, no pomp and ceremony needed. Several more guards began to charge towards the ninja and with what seemed like a sigh, he sent ten or mores shuriken flying towards them, not enough to kill or maim, but enough to slow down his attackers. With one last smoke bomb, the ninja disappeared, flashes of black in the distance the only sign he was ever there. With the ninja gone, I ran over to Sorin, who had been dragged off the platform by one of the guards and was now dealing with some of his servants.

“We need to talk. Now!” I exclaimed angrily, appalled at the events that had just gone by.

“Yuki, Yuki. Not here, there are other people.” Whispered Sorin as he rubbed one of his fake wounds. For a couple of moments I complied but then I remembered what had just happened.

“No, I don’t give a crap about your need for subtlety. What the hell just happened.”

“Yuki, Yuki, please there are people watching.” Whispered Sorin again, ushering me into his office and sliding the door shut. “Motochika is alive is he not?” Grinned Sorin as he poured himself a cup of sake.

“Barely. And while he is alive, there are three, possibly four innocent guards dead because your ninja decided to show off and kill some guards just to boost his own ego.” I yelled, walking out onto the balcony so I didn’t have to face Sorin. It was at that moment that quite an unexpected visitor walked through the door.

“Yuki? Was it your voice that I heard?” Asked Aki, grinning like a little child. I could hardly contain both my surprise and happiness.

“Aki? You came back?”

“Yes, only to see our daimyo’s son get assaulted by none other than a hired assassin. Sorin are you alright as well?”

“Sorin is more than alright!” I shouted, banging my fist into the railings on the balcony, in hindsight a rather stupid idea. “Go on. Tell him!”

“I do not know what you are talking about Yuki!” Replied Sorin, acting as innocent as he could pull off.

“Tell him how you got Motochika lying on the floor near dead.” Aki’s initial reaction was all that I expected and hoped. Finally, someone to agree with me.
    “Good.”

“What?” I replied, astonished by Aki’s answer.

“Good. That man can rot in yomi for all I care.”

“He won’t, though, but three innocent men might.” It was then, at the worst possible time, that the man of the matter, Motochika appeared. I could only pray that he had not overheard anything.

“May Izanami have mercy on you. Do not begin to apologise for what happened out there!” Yelled Motochika, his face bright red, though whether it was from anger or the blood one could not tell.

“Motochika-san, you should be in the infirmary or in your quarters being treated to.” Said Sorin, calmly. “And what should I apologise for?” Continued Sorin, taking a long sip from his sake cup. He shot me a glance, warning me with his eyes not to speak and I somewhat agreed with him, this was not my battle.

“Do not dare tell me where I should be. I should be with my army, marshalling them and preparing for the march to Dazzaifu. But I am here, trying to survive from wounds, which may just kill me!” Motochika paced around the room, nagging his finger at us as his mouth yelled at us and curse dunder its breath.

“That is an exaggeration. Your wounds won’t-”

“They might and right now you are no position to lecture me on whether my wounds are fatal or not. Your guards were hopeless, no, they were worse than hopeless. Add to that, I presume the assailant has escaped?

“Yes.” Nodded Sorin, looking at his feet like a child in trouble. I feared though, that this child might have had enough.

“Useless. Wait until my father hears of this.”

“AND THEN WHAT?” Shouted Sorin, throwing the sake cup to the floor. “What will happen then. I am of no fault in this situation. You still stand so count yourself lucky. You want to get better? Go sleep with one of the whores in one of the brothels. You go to them regularly enough! Could you even recognise your wife?”

“Do not bring my wife into this.” Warned Motochika, his fists clenched and his knuckles going white.

“Why? Does she even know that each night her husband spends the night on top of another of another woman, two if he is feeling happy? What would happen if another man slept with her?”

“I warn you.”

“What would happen if I went there and made love to your wife? You don’t love her and I doubt you ever did? In fact, I doubt you could have the capacity to love! You only wish for carnal desires, not love.” That seemed to really tick off Motochika and within an instant, Sorin was on the floor, victim to a punch to the jaw from Motochika.

“You will rot in yomi!” Snarled Motochika as he tended to his wrist.

“Good. We will meet in this world and the next!” Grinned Motochika as he was helped by Aki and me. With that, Motochika stormed out, not caring to open the door but rather just walking straight through the rice paper wall. “Good riddance.” Sorin added as he poured himself another cup of sake.

“I think I will go now. I have stuff to sort out and there has been enough arguing for one day.” And with that, I made my exit as well, though perhaps with a tad bit less anger than Motochika before me.

“What in Izanagi’s name happened, Yuki-san?” Yelled Kunichika as he paced around the small room, glancing at artwork and furniture along the way. Servant rushed around him like bees in a hive, busily cleaning, decorating and attending their daimyo. “My own son is assaulted and abused in front of a hundred or so people by a hired assassin! How the hell did he get in? Were the guards asleep or something?” He asked, myself only picking up on his sarcasm moments before I was about to answer. “Are they even close to catching the man responsible?”

“I believe they are, tono. I believe the city watch are right on his heels.” I said, submissively.

“They better be. And was this some sort of plot by some retainers or vassals? You’re job was to sniff out stuff like this or do I have to remind you.” I gave a solemn shake of the head, not daring to open my mouth. “Well, was it?”

“No, tono.” I replied, my face to the ground as I desperately tried to avoid eye contact. Unhappy with my response, Kunichika continued to question me.

“I have received rumours that Sorin-sama and my son are not…..how do I put this? Friends. Is this true, Yuki-san?” I muttered a few curses my breath. Who the hell told him about this? As if I needed another piece of bad news.

“No, tono. I have not heard those rumours.” I lied, trying to control my anger.

“Yuki-san!” I looked up to see those eyes, those black, penetrating eyes, staring at me, staring at my soul. I finally burst.

“There is some truth to those rumours. But I believe it is nothing that can’t be sorted out over time.” I lied again, knowing fully that their rift would never be solved.

“Fix it, Yuki-san. I will not have my heir and one of my most powerful vassals fighting. The last thing I need is a divided clan. Now go. There are siege preparations I need to plan.”
    Bowing, I hastily made exit. Kunichika was right. Infighting is the last we need in the middle of war against the Mori. I just prayed that the Mori might be having their own troubles as well.

The commander of the town watch was a peculiar man.

It wasn’t just his need for organisation, his erratic remarks or even the occasional wink when one wasn’t called for. He was just a little, peculiar man. Plump, certainly not fit and most definitely not a warrior of any sort, he was a man who you would not associate with any sort of command, let alone that of a town. Maybe that was how Sorin’s hired assassin infiltrated the town so easily…..

“Do you like the sake?” He inquired, though almost urging me to say yes. “I had it imported from the lands up north. Date clan or something. Nice people, though they are northerners. Take that as you will.”

“Koboyo-san, I am drinking water. Remember you poured it for me.” I replied, unsure of whether to laugh or feel worried at his sheer incompetence.

“Ahh that is right. Well I had that imported from the Date men as well. For only a couple of koku per barrel.”

“You are aware that there is free water at your disposal from here in Bungo.” I remarked, wondering if it indeed it was actually processed by the brain of the commander.

“Yes, but it tastes different.” He replied, a hint of doubt in his words.

“I am sure it does not Koboyo-san.” After a brief silence, where we both tried to evade each other’s eyes, I attempted steer the conversation back to what I had originally intended to
    talk about. “Koboyo-san, I am here to discuss the events of yesterday.”

“I had nothing to do with it. Nothing I swear. There was no money, no bribes, nothing. We are still working on tracking down the individual.” He said, the words rushing out of his mouth at a speed barely understandable to myself.

“I am quite sure you did not have anything to do with it. But as a member of Sorin-sama’s court and a representative of Kunichika-sama, you must understand that my liege is merely worried. It is not everyday that his son and heir is attacked and injured by a hired assassin. I wish simply to hunt out and find this man.” After a few moments, of frantic breathing and panicking, the commander calmed down, well calmed down enough for me to converse with him.

“As I said earlier, we are still trying to track the man down, he seems to be quite illusive. We even fear he may have fled the town.”

“Are there any clues, which you can share with me, possibly leading to his whereabouts?” I asked, though very much doubting the incompetent man would have anything.

“We have one lead, though I doubt our witness is reliable.” He said. “One of the girls at a local tavern has tipped us off that she saw a hooded man in the tavern, though she is a…..”

“Prostitute?”

“Shhh.” He put his finger to his lips, though I was unsure of the need for secrecy. “Yes.” He said in a voice only just louder than a whisper, yet again for reasons I could not ascertain.
    “Him and her…..”

“Slept together?”

“Shhh. Yes.”

“Did she get a good look at his face.” I asked, trying to push the commander as far I could.

“She could not describe him.” He said, rather disappointingly.

“Give me the location and I will visit there myself.” I said, eager to sort this mess out.

“Bring some of my guards will you.” The commander said as he stared blankly into his sake cup.

“That will not be needed. I think going by myself will be the best in this situation.” After paying my goodbyes, I left the commander to his Date water and other obsessions, though
    perhaps leaving such a man to his own contraptions is not the wisest of ideas.

“Is there a Chisato-san?” I asked, trying to be louder than the rest of the room, which was full of drunken idiots yelling at each other despite being a hair’s whisker away from each
    other.

“Who is asking?” Asked a hooded man as he took sip after sip from his sake cup.

“I am Yuki-san and-”

“And what are you here for?” Interrupted the hooded man, seemingly caring little for politeness.

“I hold a position in Sorin-sama’s court and I believe you know why I am here.” The hooded jumped up and grabbed me by the neck, pushing me over to one of the tables.

“Shut up and take a seat.” Obligingly I took my seat, eager not to get in trouble with the man considering I had seen what he could do.

“I know who hired you and I am not going to imprison you. Believe me, if I was going to do that, there would be several of the town watch behind me. No, I am here to offer you an
    escape. A new life away from this business.”

“And why would I want that?”

“Because Motochika-sama will hunt you down if you stay here.”

“I am not afraid of Motochika-sama.” Replied the hooded man, placing his sake cup down in defiance. “Oh, but you are. Why?” How could he have seen through me like this I thought to myself. Was I that obvious?

“I am scared what he will do to Sorin if you, when you talk.”

“I will not talk!”

“You will, they always do.”

The windows of my house shone relatively dimly than those of the houses around it, planting a small seed of panic within me, worried that something was wrong. My steps were small and staggered as I scanned everything in front of me, looking for something, which may indeed signal that something was wrong. Minute details, a broken branch, a dent in the wall, the pebbles not arranged neatly, were magnified into evidence of a fight. I knocked frantically at the door, each moment of silence stretched out, my worse fear resurfacing, Suzume-

“What time do you call this?” Asked Suzume, hands on hips and a cheeky grin to go with it. I took a long deep breath of the warm, summer air, the freshness calming down my fears, the slight moisture in the air dampening my worries.

“Oh Suzume!” I lunged forward, hugging her as she stood frozen, most probably slightly worried for me. I kissed her, her warm lips the final antidote. The relaxing hint of sake on her lips, the scent of roses on her neck, the happiness, which bubbled up from her heart into me. “You know I love you.”I whispered into her ear. She gave a small nod, her cheeks blushing as she gently smiled.“And I would never do anything to hurt you.” She nodded again, as I squeezed her hand.

“What is this about, Yuki?” She asked, her faint voice lost in the warm air as the notes of her voice passed off into the distance.

“Suzume, I am scared. Scared of the war, of change, of the death, of injury. You could say pretty much everything.” I smiled towards the end as I realised how stupid I must have sounded.

“Do not be scared my love.” She said, as we looked at out from our door to the horizon. “Above all, do not fear death. We should fear your death!” She laughed as she saw the rather traumatised expression on my face. “You are right to be scared, Yuki. Dangers are present yet is that not what makes life exciting? Fear them but do not show it. Everyone is afraid of something, of somewhere, of something. Even me.” I burst out laughing, the thought of Suzume trembling in fear a sight I must see. “Do not laugh! I fear many things. I’m scared of some of the men at the ports, I am scared of owls and their eyes, I am scared of those fire arrow things, I am scared for my father, for you.”

“Owls do have scary eyes.” I admitted, though the thought of Suzume scared still forcing a smile out of me.

“You see, even I am scared. But don’t let those fears get to you. What are you most afraid of Yuki?” There was only one answer to that, only one thing that came instantly to mind.

“Losing you.” I said as I stared into her hazelnut eyes as they twinkled like the stars above. I could see her blushing, as much as she tried to hide it.

“Yuki-”

“Its fine if you don’t fear losing me” I lied. Nothing could be more heart wrenching, more heart heartbreaking.

“Yuki, I don’t fear losing you because I could not imagine losing you. You’re always there, my little rock. Always keeping down, not letting me get ahead of myself, not letting me run away. I’m the loose cannon, the one who might just end up being her own demise whereas you, you’re the sensible one, the one who has everything planned, everything goes your way. I don’t love you any less, I just know you’ll never leave me. But if you did-” Her eyes began to tear up, her voice going croaky.

“I won’t.” I said clutching her soft, delicate hands, feeling their warmth. I wiped the tears away slowly as her smile returned. “We’re leaving tomorrow for Bizen.”

“Tomorrow?” Asked Suzume, surprised.

“Yes, did you not know?”

“No, I did not. We must make tonight special then.” She kissed me, gave a small wink and then beckoned me to come inside. For one night I would put aside my fears and let myself go. For one night, I was free of the troubles of Sorin, of Motochika, of the Mori, of the world. Only me and Suzume, just like it used to be.

Content Emeritus

Default Re: Way of the Bow:A Chosokabe AAR-(Updated Chapter XIII 2/1)

Good update! Now to war with the Mori!

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish King View Post
    Good update! Now to war with the Mori!
    Thank you and yes it is time at last for war or is it.........

Chapter XIV- Offence is the best defence

1559- Spring

Dawn is quite certainly not a time a man should be awake. He should be sleeping, awake in nothing but his dreams, allowing his body to rest from the countless miles it had to endure on the back of a horse.

Yet, it was barely dawn, not even the sun properly awake, and I had been forced to join Sorin and his other commanders on a hunt, for reasons alluding me. They had caught wind of rumours of a pure white shika, a magnificent stag, and, like nobles usually do, they wanted it for themselves. Sorin had said something about dawn being the best time to hunt, yet I found that hard to believe. Deer needed to sleep as well.

Yet, here we were. Tracing through the large blades of grass as they towered over us, the ground soft and boggy. In many of our men’s hands, were small yumis, not ones crafted for battle, but rather smaller in size and used primarily for hunting. A young man, unknown to me, led our small party, occasionally dropping to the ground to sniff or stare at something. I quickly deduced that he must have been our guide, perhaps a local hoping to make some quick coin with his hunting ‘expertise’. He however, did not hold a yumi but in his hand was rather a wakizashi, which he used often to cut through the long blades of grass, which were often hindrance to our small party.

We escaped the marsh in time and soon found ourselves in a dense forest. Huge oak trees stood next to us, their roots crawling through the undergrowth as their leaves formed together to form a dense canopy above us, allowing only small pockets of sunlight to reach the ground. Smaller pine trees with thin trunks and leaves as sharp as needles, absorbed the rest of the sunlight, leaving very little light at all for our party. The ground was littered with the pine needles and oak nuts, the roots of both trees snaking through the ground almost appearing out of nowhere to trip many of us over.

Our progress was very much stop and start, with our guide often stopping for minutes on end to survey the surroundings. Without sunlight, the air was cold and moist, the threat of rain hanging over our heads. The faint song of some birds did much to lighten the atmosphere, which, with each minute that passed by without a sighting of anything, except the hungry foxes, which dashed between cover, became ever gloomier. It had been just over an hour until Sorin finally spoke, much to the chagrin of our guide.

“Let us split up, we might find something that way.” He said, a mix of disappointment and frustration in his voice. “I will go with Chikakata-san and Dōsetsu-san, while Hanki-kun and Yuki-san will go that way.” It was a small prize to me that I would be accompanied by our guide, which meant I would likely not have to do anything except stay quiet. In my sleepy state, I would happily agree to do that.

We began to head west, or at least I think it was west. In the dark, isolated forest, one could lose all sense of direction and if in the forest for long enough, all sense of sanity as well I suspected. The guide often said he could ascertain which direction we were facing, yet would not reveal which way he thought we were headed, stating that it would ‘put me off’. It was probably just another reason to charge people more many the should have, the ability to ascertain the direction without the sun a useful characteristic I must admit. Yet, this guide did not and so, we continued on, though further into the forest or out of it, I could not deduce.

It was another half an hour or so, with still little progress that I briefly parted company from the guide in order to relieve myself. The guide seemed quite alright with me leaving me and I had begun to suspect he did not enjoy my company. He seemed hellbent on capturing this animal, most probably dreaming of the fame and fortune it may give him and was by no means going to let me mess this up for him.

A dark and gloomy forest is not a place one would wish to be alone. Silence befell the forest, only interspersed by a rattling in some nearby bush, a sound that caused considerable fear in me every time I heard. I had still not seen anything, no deer, tanuki or boar. Only flashes of red revealed the presence of some foxes, though even them had alluded my eyes. I felt we did not belong in there, an old ancient forest that should not be awoken. The forest itself seemed to be alive, the trees watching us, the earth rumbling as if awaking from a deep slumber. This was a place for the gods, for the kami but not for humans.

And there it was. Magnificient. Pure white like snow. Antlers as thick as tree trunks. I froze on the spot, not daring to make any movement or sound. I knew it had seen me, yet it did not make any attempt to flee or charge me. It stood there as well, twitching its nose and ears. After only a few moments it continued on, foraging for food in the undergrowth. I still stood there however, frozen with absolute amazement. Before it left, it looked at me, its eyes black like ebony. It was only a quick glance but somehow I knew it was telling me to be quiet, to keep its existence a secret. And so I did, returning to the guide in silence, not saying anything from there on.

We soon ran in to Sorin and the others, who as well had no luck and after a quick discussion it was agreed we would leave, for there was no hope of finding our target. The forest almost ushered us out, like it wanted us gone.

“Sorin-sama, this is a bad idea.” I said, gently kicking the horse to move faster as Sorin was beginning to race ahead.

“Nonsense Yuki-san. We outnumber our enemy heavily and we have cut off their supply lines. They have no where left to run.” Replied Sorin, his confidence bordering on arrogance. The hot sun bare down on both of us and we were both sweating heavily under our layers of armour, despite not having done much but sit on our mounts the whole day.

“A cornered animal is more dangerous than a normal one, Sorin-sama; it has nothing to left to lose.” While I did not doubt that on open ground this would be a simple affair, the terrain that surrounded us left us heavily vulnerable to ambushes or bottlenecks. They didn’t have to fight us on an open battlefield, all they had to do was slowly pick our forces apart, a tactic helped by Sorin’s own tactics. He had split our forces in three, a dangerous tactic in the terrain we were in, though most probably forced by the natural bottlenecks, which would have hindered a large force. Sorin commanded the troops in the middle, a mix of yumi and yari ashigaru. The force to the left of us was commanded by Tawara Chikakata and was composed of troops of similar quality. The army to the right of us, under Tachibana Dōsetsu, an old veteran belonging to a time before the Otomo first fell, was made up of our most experienced samurai, nobleman from Bungo and the surrounding towns and villages. They were significantly further away from us than the army led by Chikakata-san, and, while composed of our best warriors, were in danger of being singled out. “Sorin-sama, the force under Dōsetsu, is drifting too far away, they must correct their course.” I said as I squinted my eyes to try and spot Dōsetsu’s army. The glint of their swords hardly visible and the sound of the hooves of Dōsetsu’s personal retainers hardly audible.

“Do not worry, Dōsetsu-san is a man I trust. He defended Bungo until the last man fell, Yuki-san. He is an experienced veteran of many wars and knows how to handle infantrymen better than anyone else in this realm.” Replied Sorin before he began ordering his troops around again.

“Not good enough to stop the Shoni armies, though.” I muttered to myself as a cool, refreshing breeze blew in from the sea, relieving us from some of the heat. Large boulders and rock formations with time worn faces, stood staring at us as we marched forward. Schools of koi danced in small ponds as birds dived in with amazing speed only to re-emerge without a prize. As we sat on our mounts, mine a stocky horse of hazelnut colouring, the enemy slowly came into sight, the blood red sashimonos of the Mori clan a stark contrast to the short, light coloured grass that the enemy stood on. I rode in silence from then on, Sorin too preoccupied with barking orders to his various subordinates to take notice of my thoughts or ideas. Occasionally, I would listen in to the conversations, though I would rarely hear anything of significance. As the armies drew closer and closer together, scout reports became more and more accurate and in the end, enemy numbers of roughly ten thousand were agreed upon.

“You ready for battle?” Asked Sorin, grinning eagerly like a child.

“You take joy in battle, Sorin-sama?” I inquired, confused by Sorin’s past disgust for war. In front of us, soldiers rushed into formations as their commanders yelled orders.

“I do not usually, Yuki-san, but on this occasion, yes. I take pleasure defending my homeland, wouldn’t you if it was your home in danger?” After a few moments of thought, I nodded. I would do anything to save my home, absolutely anything.

“But this is not your home. You are now attacking theirs.” I said, as I looked upon the enemy, nothing but a rabble interspersed with only a few true warriors. The enemy also rushed around, yet with no order to their actions, like headless chickens, their formations messy with no real reason to them at all.

“Offence is often the best defence, Yuki-san.” He said before yelling something at one of his bodyguards. “I do not take pleasure in war nor do I wish to start one without proper reason but a war started is a war needed to be finished and the only way that will happen is if they die or we die. Such is the way of life, for one thing to survive another thing needs to die. There will be a time when peace reigns and war is as foreign to them as peace is to us but not in my life time, maybe not even in yours. But victory here might just lead to an end to this war and an end to this war is one step closer to an end of all wars.” He said, pausing to give me a moment to take it all in. “Enough with this.” He added, waving his hand to signal the end of the conversation. “We can think and discuss philosophy later but now is the time for battle. Fasten your helmet, grip the reins and ready your blade.”

“Tono, the enemy is attacking our left flank, Chikakata-sama asks whether he should push the attack.” Said a young man, timidly, fear in both his eyes and his voice. He must have only been eighteen, just like me. Confident right up until the moment of battle, yet scared when it actually arrived. His armour was dented and rusting and his sword was nearly blunt. He was probably a farmer back home, given a sword, some armour and then called a warrior.

“Tell, Chikakata-san to push the advantage.” Replied Sorin, sending the runner off with a wave of his hand. Just before he left, I called him back, confused and still scared he hesitantly turned his horse around and galloped back to me.

“Do not be scared-”

“Shigetane-kun”Interrupted the runner, giving me a faint smile.

“Do not be scared, Shigetane-kun. I too was once like you; young, afraid, unsure of myself. It gets easier over time until one day you don’t fear going to battle. I still do, though.” I gave him a small wink and then sent him off, conscious not to delay any important messages. As I watched him ride off, I saw the enemy charge at our yumi ashigaru, only to retreat after being decimated by a volley of arrows, cheers from the yumi ashigaru as they turned tail and fled. Our own yard ashigaru then began to march forward, forming a wall of yaris as their footsteps fell in line with the rhythmic beating of a drum. The yumi ashigaru in front of us now also began to march forward as they took their positions in range of the enemy. Shouts of “Fire” rang out from the various yumi commanders as a rain of arrows poured down upon the poor enemy. Yet again, the archers were able to hold the enemy charges at bay, shattering many of the enemy contingents sent to shut them down.

On our left flank, our own men had defeated the enemy and began encircling the men who threatened our centre. The yumi contingents retreated with haste as the enemy ashigaru charged desperately, the trap closing in on them.

“Form spear wall!” Shouted Sorin, his voice booming across the battlefield like thunder. I had not seen Sorin like this before; confident and in command, hungry for victory. Our troops obeyed and a wall spears was presented to the enemy. Some of the enemy halted, fearful of our spear wall, as others raced towards our men, fearless and desperate. It was either death on the end of a spear or by an arrow from one of our yumi contingents. Not much of choice.

Towards our right flank, the men under Dōsetsu-san were finally coming into sight, though perhaps a tad bit late for the battle. Seeing the battle was nearly over, the bloodthirsty samurai, many young nobles who were yet to be proven in battle, charged through the small ponds, their sprint turning into rather clumsy wade as the water level proved to be higher than they had anticipated. Water splashed every where as hundreds of men charged through the water like a heard of buffalo. Katanas raised high, they caught the remaining of the enemy unaware and the ensuing melee was closer to a slaughter than a real fight. Blood spilled slowly into the water and the ponds gradually turned to red, a sight that must have taken its toll on the enemy commander, who Dōsetsu’s retinue found alone amongst the midst of the battle, confused and disheartened. He was said to have put up no resistance as our men captured and detained him, all he did was stare as the remainder of his army fled with tails between the legs, our own men cheering them on. The day had been won but the war was not yet over.

Kobayakawa Takakage seemed like a lost man. His eyes swivelled from left to right, never staying in one place for long. His fingers tapped incessantly on the hilt of his scabbard, not a fast tempo but a slow one. He muttered what seemed like gibberish under his breath and paid no attention to any word that Sorin said. On the whole, he seemed hardly with us, like in a different world, though the real world was about to come crashing back to him.

“Takakage-san? Answer me, Takakage-san. Answer me immediately!” Shouted Sorin, impatient and frustrated. Takakage-san had been conversing with Sorin for just over an hour, yet the conversation seemed to take no particular course and often were Takakage-san’s answers vague and even one worded. Shaking his head as if coming out of a dream, Takakage-san finally mustered up a reply.

“I am sorry Sorin-sama, what were you asking me?” He said, his reply only infuriating Sorin more. Taking a deep breath of the cool coastal air, Sorin repeated his question.

“Will you join our side or will you commit seppuku, Takakage-san?” Sorin said. I stood beside Sorin, staring at nothing but the man ahead of me, not opening my mouth to speak my own opinion. This was a matter for Sorin not me.

“I am sorry, Sorin-sama but I do not understand the problem. Why would you want me to join your side but more importantly, why would I want to join your side?” Takakage-san said, calmly, not smiling as Sorin’s face went red with anger. He did not even portray a smile, not even the hint of one.

“I will take your question in good mood, Takakage-san.” Sorin said, shooting a quick stare at Takakage-san. “We wish for your addition because you are more than a competent commander, dare I say, good commander, and in war, good commanders are hard to come by. And for why you would wish to join us, simple. If you swear fealty to me, you won’t die.” Takakage-san seemed to contemplate the idea for a moment, though shook his head quickly after.

“I am sorry, Sorin-sama, but I am not an dishonest and dishonourable man. Give me a blade and I will fix everything here.” Said Takakage-san, his face as straight as a statue, his voice neither submissive nor aggressive, just flat.

“Why?” Asked Sorin, though I was at pains to find out why it mattered. If he wished to die, then so be it, commanders are not rare and the war hadn’t taken too much of a toll.

“You are not aware of my lineage, Sorin-sama?” Takakage-san said, his left eyebrow rising a bit, one of the first signs of emotion from the man today.

“I am Takakage-san.” Replied Sorin firmly. Though not entirely sure, it was said that Takakage-san was the fifth son of Mori Motonari, the head of the Mori clan. With little chance of inheritance he was adopted by the childless head of the Kobayakawa clan and since the man’s death a couple of years ago, he had been head of one of the major clans serving under his father.

“Then you must know that I am the son of Mori Motonari.” Takakage-san said, pausing for a reply from Sorin, from which Sorin simply nodded. “I am not one to disappoint, especially not my father.

“Why do you care for your father, he will die and quite possibly leave you very little if anything at all.” Sorin said, the idea of family baffling to him. Yet, Sorin had never been of the cold-hearted type and while he revealed very little of his family, I had always presumed he had grown up under decent if not good conditions.

“Because of the love I have for a father and because I wish not to disappoint him. While an enticing proposition to a man in different circumstances, I will not betray my father simply for a command position. I held one up until a few hours ago and the loss of it is due to my own short comings.” Takakage-san said, trailing off at the end, as if not to highlight the fact that he lost.

“You were heavily outnumbered with inferior troops. An impossible position.” Sorin said, not a man to give up easily. Yet still, his persistence baffled me.

“But is that not due to my own strategic short comings? To be forced into a position favourable to only my enemy.” Replied Takakage-san.

“So be it. I wish only to offer you a second chance, a chance of redemption. If you wish to be stubborn than be stubborn. Die for all I care.” Sorin said, launching himself from his chair as he stormed past Takakage-san on his way out.

“Will you give me a blade or must I use a stick?” Asked Takakage-san, the first hint at humour I heard from him.

“You will have a blade, do not worry. Tomorrow, though, in front of the whole of my army.” Said Sorin, the two guards guarding the tent stepping aside as he stormed past them, muttering various curses and whatnot. I saw Takakage-san take a gulp, surprised at Sorin’s wish to publicly humiliate him. He looked at me for a moment, nothing longer than a second, and then looked back down at the ground. The man had not survived through the meeting by being strong but because he was already broken. He had nothing left to lose and he knew it. His ultimate victory over Sorin was to deny him.

The sky was grey, not just one grey though, many greys, swirling and mixing in with each other. The sun hid behind ominous storm clouds, not wanting to watch the events of today unfold. A small crowd had gathered around Takakage-san, forming a circle around, the feeling of being trapped most probably ever present on the poor man’s mind. The men watching were only soldiers, some samurai, some ashigaru, though all eager to watch. Of course not all of our army were here, that would require a space much larger than the one available but it seemed many of our men did not care to watch, many of the ashigaru most probably caring very little for the affairs of the nobles.

Sorin had been eager to hold the seppuku ritual as quickly as he could, this was of course, a war which had very much yet to be won. Some of his council had wished to send the man back to Bungo for a nap in the dungeons until the war had finished, but Sorin was eager for the death of the man who dared to defy him. He was hungry for blood and he was going to get it.

We had set up camp near the small town of Shimonoseki, close to the Kanmon strait. An easily defendable position with numbers we had, it was in a perfect strategic position to defend the northern part of Kyushu from Mori reinforcements.
    Takakage-san had been brought to a small beach and this was where it was scheduled to take place. The crowd stood about fifty paces from Takakage-san, Sorin at least respecting the wishes of a soon to be dead man. Takakage-san knelt blindfolded on the soft sand, the sound of crashing waves and screeching gulls a rather big clue to where he had been brought. The Mori clan were famed for the seamanship, for their well built ships and hardy sailors and Sorin and thought it more than fitting for a Mori family member to die so close yet so far from their beloved sea.

The cool, salty sea air blew gently against my cheek as I stood with rest of the watchers. Sorin stood in front of Takakage-san, his dark blue surcoat in stark contrast to his white shirt. His golden cross loosely hung from his neck. I wondered how his god would take all of this. Takakage-san was dressed in a plain white shirt and black pants, nothing elaborate to signify his once high position in society. He was a man dishonoured and man dishonoured he would die.

But what shame had he brought on his family
    I thought. He had not fled and had very much wished himself to commit seppuku. So what had he done wrong? I asked myself, the answer on the tip of my tongue yet I could not say it. Then I got it. He had defied Sorin. No one defied the Lord of Bungo, tamer of the gaijin. That’s what people called him anyway. I hadn't seen him tame any gaijin, nor was he independent in his rule of Bungo. People spoke in the streets that Sorin knelt to no one, yet I knew, he knew, that his very power was with the Chosokabe clan. If he went rogue, not even his precious matchlocks would save him from the wrath of Kunichika.

“This man was once a man of honour.” Began Sorin, as he tore away the blindfold from Takakage’s eyes. “But now, after fleeing the battle of Shimonoseki, like the coward he is, he must now reclaim his honour, through death.” Sorin said, placing much emphasis on the death part.

“You say I have no honour Sorin-sama, than what do you have?” Laughed Takakage-san. “You offered me the chance to join your side, you nearly even denied me the right to seppuku. I ask you Sorin-sama, Lord of Bungo and tamer of the gaijin, how much do you price your honour at?” He was luring Sorin into a trap, and Sorin would have to word his reply very carefully in front of his own men.

“Much higher than yours.” I said, immediately drawing the look of every one of my fellow soldiers.

“Yuki-san?” He asked, smiling.

“Hai.” I replied, though I presumed he knew already.

“Would you like to deliver a message to my father?” He asked. My next words would be crucial.

“Hai, if the message is you fled the field like a dishonourable rat, yes, I will gladly deliver a message.” Sorin laughed as he readied his blade.

“Good, you will be able to tell him soon. He is just over there.” Battlehorns blasted in the distance, resonating throughout the land. The ground trembled under the weight of the Mori army as they marched in synchronisation and crested the hill, which had guarded our rear.. At the front of his force, sat Mori Motonari, upon his chestnut mount. His helmet, which was pointed at the top and measured nearly seven inches in height, made him clearly visible amongst his retainers. “Now,” said Takakage, “it is time for you to die.”

Sorry for the delay people. I was hesitating as I was unable to add the pictures I want due to another incapacitation of my computer which has my game on it. In the end I decided I would upload the chapter without the screenshots but I might add them later. Anyways, hope you enjoy.

Merchant of Venice

Default Re: Way of the Bow:A Chosokabe AAR-(Updated Chapter XIV 17/1)

That was great. Very atmospheric. I liked the closing paragraphs a lot.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Quote Originally Posted by Robin de Bodemloze View Post
    That was great. Very atmospheric. I liked the closing paragraphs a lot.
    Thank you a lot for your kind words and support. The next chapter is going to be a bit delayed because of the ongoing computer stuff but I aim to have the next chapter up by the end of January. Big things are going to happen to Yuki over the next two or three chapters as well as some delightful surprises.

Content Emeritus

A most interesting twist! Need update now! + rep

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish King View Post
    A most interesting twist! Need update now! + rep
    Thank you for the kind words and rep but sadly it might be a nearly a fortnight before i can get another chapter up, possibly even more My gaming computer just won't turn on. Maybe this AAR is cursed? Anyway, there goes trying to frequently upload.

I need to catch up again. I hope your issue is fixed.

+rep

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

Merchant! I see your writing is going very well indeed! Brilliant chapters my friend!

How have you been lately?

Thanks

Tigellinus

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish