Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Way of the Bow:A Chosokabe AAR-(Updated Chapter XXXXII 30/9)

Default Re: Way of the Bow:A Chosokabe AAR-Updated Chapter VI 19 19/4

Nice cliffhanger at the end. I love how you found that riverside village - one of my favourite off-map features in S2.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Quote Originally Posted by Robin de Bodemloze View Post
    Nice cliffhanger at the end. I love how you found that riverside village - one of my favourite off-map features in S2.

Yes I very much do love the villages on the maps on Shogun 2, some of them are even quite big. I think it was quite nice the developers added them to the maps. It makes it more immersive.

Im glad you like the cliffhanger. And if you don't mind answering a question. Should I add a some borders to my pictures? I've been toying around with the idea but my limited photoshop skills can't seem to make an authentic japanese border.

Quote Originally Posted by f0ma View Post
    Very nice AAR you have going on here! Good to see you finally picking up the quill again and keeping the Shogun 2 AAR sub-forum active Like others, I was both surprised and intrigued by your choice of having an ordinary foot-soldier as the protagonist. It's working really well though! Even though there haven't been any battles, I enjoyed Chapters V and VI and the insight you give into the other side of life in Japan. I like Suzume's happy-go-lucky nature and I really felt for Yuki when he had to leave her. I like where it's heading with the monastery too, the next chapter sounds very interesting. I don't want to pre-empt you or anything, but if Yuki became a ronin things would become very interesting I also want to find out just what happened in the interim between Chapters IV and V. Just how did he end up there?

Keep it up! +rep
    Thank you very much for you kind words. I'm happy you're liking my choices and the characters. And if you want to know what happened between chapter IV and V then you just have to read on! Good work your own AAR you really seem to have a good one going.
    Last edited by Merchant of Venice; April 20, 2013 at 06:43 PM.

On borders - it's really up to you. I personally think they make your pics look more professional, so I use them. A simple design is enough though - I probably went overboard with mine.

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Chapter VII: Dealing with the Pain

We both just stood there, glaring at each other, waiting for one of us to make the first move. Silence filled the cold air except for the faint but cheerful sounds from the village below. Several clouds had idly drifted in front of the moon, obscuring its light and making my opponent but a shadowy figure in the dark. His missing arm seemed to always draw my attention and try as I might my focus would not change. Seconds slowly turned into minutes, yet only the haunting sound of silence could be heard; even the sounds from the village had faded out.

“Yuki-sama.” His low, deep voice seemed to resonate off the rock face, echoing around the surrounding country side. I just stood there, my hands shaking in response to the raw fear building up inside of me. Finally, I managed to muster up a response, be it unclear and hardly audible.

“How-how do you know my name?” His sheer presence instilled fear in me, but it was more what he might do to me next that I was most afraid of.

“I have eyes and ears everywhere. We have been watching you ever since you stepped onto this island.” I could only see him through where I thought the noise was coming from.
    The fear in me gradually grew in response to his words and I feared that it would soon become too much for me too handle. I tried to push it back down but to no avail.

“W-w-why?”

“Because you are special. You may not know it, but you are, in many ways.”
    How was I special? I thought to myself, confused and dazed by the meaning behind his response yet in too much of a fragile mental state to continue pressing him for answers.

“Are, are you going to hurt me?” A small chuckle could be heard from the darkness yet I could not hear if it there were sinister motives in it or not.

“What because of this?” He slowly walked out from the darkness into a place where I could see him, where I could put a face to the voice.

“No, no I will not hurt you…. yet! His small chuckle soon erupted into a fit of laughter but as quickly as it had arrived it had disappeared, replaced by his normal, more serious face.

“I hear you have come for a yumi?”

I nodded in simple agreement, too afraid to open my mouth.
    “Then you must work hard, train hard in order to earn it. It is fortunate for you, that hard, honest work usually diverts one’s attention from the pain one may, or may not, be suffering within.”
    Those words seemed to strike a chord with me, a very minor sort of chord. Was he offering a way out of my pain? I could not help but shed a single tear at the memory of my beloved Suzume, yet the tear had frozen before it had even left my cheek.

“I will do whatever I can err…” A sudden realization hit me that I was unaware of his name.

“Torii Shizurako. My name is Shizurako.” It unnerved me that he appeared to have knowledge of my every waking thought. I could now clearly see his every feature, be it the wrinkles on his face or the missing toe on the left foot.

“You must be tired.” I could only yawn in reply. He quickly led me to my sleeping quarters, he too being eager to escape the cold. Though sleep would be a nice reprieve, I received very little of it, as my thoughts kept me awake till the very late hours of the night.

“Here you go. Its one of the monk’s old yumis.” Shizurako handed me the yumi. I slowly ran my hand along the smooth texture of the wood. The bowstring was firm but not to firm and the yumi on a whole was incredibly light.
    “It will do?” He asked as he watched me explore the workmanship.

“Will do? Its a work of art!” I could not believe my eyes. The yumi was the finest I had ever seen, the product of a skilled fletcher.

“Well that is good. Now it is time for practice.” He gave me little push in the direction of the target. The target itself lay only a hundred paces away but I found myself severely doubting my own skill.

“Twang!”

The arrow went flying from the bow, at a speed that is hardly describable, towards the target. Just at the last second, it skimmed the top of the target and ground to a halt a few paces behind it. There was nothing to do but hang my head in shame, my earlier doubts proving true. A small chuckle escaped from Shizurako’s mouth, he clearly quite amused at my attempt. It appeared I had much training ahead of me.

Over the next couple of months, my training not only consisted of physical training but also ‘mental training’ as Shizurako put it. I had never attempted meditation, it had always appeared too hard and tiresome. I was always thinking and imagining and I would be lying if I did not tell you that it was hard at first. I found my attention diverted to mere trivial things, the buzzing of an insect or the haunting sound of an icy breeze, but over time the situation began to improve. My mind began to slowly become more focused, more disciplined. This was paralleled in my training. My accuracy had greatly improved and I could notch and fire arrows without even thinking about it. I could notch the arrow in the right spot every time and my mind, after hours upon hours of training, seemed to be fully aware of the position of the targets. Shizurako would change its position, in a foolhardy attempt to trick me but my brain would not be fooled by such trickery. It was if I had become one with my yumi. It seemed we shared the same brain and even Shizurako echoed my thoughts.

“To be one with one’s weapon is the greatest achievement a warrior can accomplish. Only, great, disciplined warriors can become one with their weapon, the rest simply chose to ignore it. You are on you’re way Yuki-sama. You have a long way to go but you will get there eventually, just be patient.”

The sun sat high in the sky, its rays touching everything in sight. Only a small breeze offered any reprieve from the heat, and they were rare and infrequent. I sat blissfully under the shade of a pine tree, in a vain hope to escape the heat. I was joined by Shizurako a little bit later, he too feeling the true effects of the heat.
    “I need you to collect some goods from the village, mainly incense but also some other small needs.” I gave a long sigh in reply. I knew I could no longer escape Suzume’s father.

“You do not want to go?’ Asked Shizurako, surprised at my apparent hesitation to go. I was not eager to tell him about my past but found it unfortunately necessary.

“His daughter and I fell in love. He spurned my advance and I left. I was devastated and distraught and then I came here….then I found you.” Shizurako sat calmly beside me, neither betraying any sort of sympathy or any other emotion as I retold the events of those weeks. The void left in my heat ached. It nearly bought me to tears but I was more focused now, I was stronger now.

“It is true, you cannot escape your pain. Believe it or not, I too have suffered pain and I will not force you to make the trip. Do not hide your emotions Yuki-sama, merely subdue them, tame them if you like. Your pain and suffering is part of you. Your brain and your heart must work in tandem, like you and your yumi.”

His wisdom and choice of words astonished me every time yet it still could not heal my pain. That could be done by only one person: Myself.

The celebration of the rice harvest had brought the whole village up the icy slopes of Mt Sakurajima Like sheep following a shepherd, they all crowded around the chief monk, eagerly waiting for the proceedings to start, yet ignorant that the monk was in fact waiting for them to quieten down. I stood at the edge of the crowd, waiting silently as the monk duly performed his rituals. Somewhere in the crowd sat Suzume yet try as I might to find her I could not locate her. But how did I know that she still cared? That she even remembered me at all? I clung onto hope that we might one day reunite but what if she had already forgotten about me? I dearly wished that she did still remember me but it had been six long months since I had left her, and there was every chance she may not care anymore. I pushed these thoughts to the back of my head in favour of the little hope I still had. By the time I had finished worrying about her, the ceremony had already been performed, and the crowd had moved onto the next part of the festival; the party.

Hours of revelry followed. It was the day that the whole village could reap the rewards of another successful harvest, yet I sat at the edge of it all, alone on a wooden bench except for the company of my own thoughts. My mentor forbade the consumption of sake and considering my past problems with it, it was most probably a good idea, but it left me feeling separate from the celebrations. I was glad when my mentor joined me, happy to have some company. He holding a small parchment, which had been delicately rolled into a cylinder and tied with a piece of red satin. He passed it over to me. I stared at it, puzzled by who had sent it, and more confused by what lay inside. I opened it and its content surprised me but also delighted me. It read:

Dear Yuki,

I write to you with a heavy heart, for the pain still hurts even all these months since your tragic departure. I write to you, to say that my feelings are the same as when you left and that no amount of time can stop me loving you. I still hold the precious few moments we had together with the utmost value. Sadly, circumstances have not changed but know that I will forever wait until they do.
    Yours truly,
    Suzume

I wept as I read each word but my tears weren’t from pain or sadness, but rather from pure delight. Fate had given me a chance and I was not going to waste it. I turned to Shizurako, his smiling face an ever comforting sight. He had been the closest thing to a friend these past couple of months and as he smiled at my happiness, I felt like he knew what the contents of the letter were. The parchment did not look touched but I was not mad at him for reading if he had, for nothing could diminish my joy. I did not sleep one bit that night, yet I did not feel tired the morning after. Something inside me that had once died before had been resurrected. For once I was looking forward to what the future held.
    Last edited by Merchant of Venice; October 11, 2013 at 09:35 PM.

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Way of the Bow:A Chosokabe AAR-(Updated Chapter VII 30/4)

Wow now if this isn't interesting. Nice story writing style, and I love the immersion and detail you put into each of the characters! I'm still at chapter 2 But don't worry keep the great story coming!

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Quote Originally Posted by Swaeft View Post
    Wow now if this isn't interesting. Nice story writing style, and I love the immersion and detail you put into each of the characters! I'm still at chapter 2 But don't worry keep the great story coming!
    Thanks that means quite a lot coming from you. Hopefully i might be able to emulate the detail you put into your characters (though I think that may be unlikley!)

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Interesting update, good job I wasn't expecting Shizurako to turn into a good guy!

A few minor things though. If Yuki is Shizurako's pupil, then Shizurako wouldn't call him sama, it would be the other way around (unless I'm missing something?) And when you use onomatopoeias like twang, you shouldn't put them in speech marks, since no one is saying it. Italics would be more suitable; so twang instead of "twang".

Keep it up, I like where this is going

Interesting update, good job I wasn't expecting Shizurako to turn into a good guy!

A few minor things though. If Yuki is Shizurako's pupil, then Shizurako wouldn't call him sama, it would be the other way around (unless I'm missing something?) And when you use onomatopoeias like twang, you shouldn't put them in speech marks, since no one is saying it. Italics would be more suitable; so twang instead of "twang".

Keep it up, I like where this is going
    Thankyou my knowledge of Japanese honorifics is quite limited I will probably change it when I bother to research it! I will also make the appropriate changes. Good work on your AAR as well.

On another note, anyone who is reading my humble AAR(thank you for reading BTW) and have a AAR of themselves the MAARC XLV needs entries(f0ma I know you've entered). So if you have uploaded two chapters in the past month submit your AAR now!!!!!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant of Venice View Post
    Thankyou my knowledge of Japanese honorifics is quite limited I will probably change it when I bother to research it! I will also make the appropriate changes. Good work on your AAR as well.

On another note, anyone who is reading my humble AAR(thank you for reading BTW) and have a AAR of themselves the MAARC XLV needs entries(f0ma I know you've entered). So if you have uploaded two chapters in the past month submit your AAR now!!!!!
    Japanese honorifics

They're a stylistic choice more than anything. I haven't used any in my AAR yet. I might make use of 'no kimi', since it directly relates to the period of RotS, but that's all I have planned so far. I know robin used 'aniki' a lot in his AAR. It all depends on what you want to use really

Seconded, we need some more people in the MAARC this month. Best of luck to you good sir

That was a very satisfying read. The last bit was very well done.

Japanese honorifics

They're a stylistic choice more than anything. I haven't used any in my AAR yet. I might make use of 'no kimi', since it directly relates to the period of RotS, but that's all I have planned so far. I know robin used 'aniki' a lot in his AAR. It all depends on what you want to use really

Seconded, we need some more people in the MAARC this month. Best of luck to you good sir
    It's funny that I actually used that link as one of the websites for my research. I think I've decided on one for the chapter and will edit it soon. Aniki I believe is brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin de Bodemloze View Post
    That was a very satisfying read. The last bit was very well done.
    Thankyou very much.

Sorry guys I haven't posted a new chapter or anything. Half-yearly exams have started and thus sadly studying and school work has unfortunately taken precedence. I plan on quit a bit of action for the next chapter but sadly have had little time for writing it. Should be up in 1-2 weeks. Sorry for the delay.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Sorry guys I haven't posted a new chapter or anything. Half-yearly exams have started and thus sadly studying and school work has unfortunately taken precedence. I plan on quit a bit of action for the next chapter but sadly have had little time for writing it. Should be up in 1-2 weeks. Sorry for the delay.
    Not a problem, thanks for letting us know I think a lot of us are in the same boat (I know I am!). Good luck in your exams and I look forward to the next update whenever you have time

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I've just finished mine, so I know what a pain it is. Nevertheless I will be here waiting when your next chapter comes out, no matter when. Thanks for being such an understanding Merchant.

Edit: Best of luck for your exams!

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Chapter VIII- The Wako

It was late afternoon when I first spotted them on the horizon. They were mere red dots at first but as they came closer their identity and intentions become crystal clear. They bore the red and yellow mon of the wako; a collection of pirates, thieves and scoundrels who scoured the coast, preying on the weak and vulnerable. They appeared to travel at a breakneck speed, as if the kami themselves were aiding them. Soon their huge, red, ominous sails were clearly visible and within no time, men, armed with katanas, could be seen appearing from the lower decks. Yet, in the face of such terrible danger, the village seemed eerily quiet. Even Shizurako did not make a single noise nor did he seem to care. I desperately ran over to him, eager to save the village. He seemed to be aware of my intentions and simply gave me a rather condescending smile.

“This happens every year. The villages are used to it.” He gave a small shrug of his shoulders and slowly began to walk off. Bewildered and confused, I chased after him.

“Why don’t they try and stop them?” I asked, rather naively.

“Why doesn’t a fish oppose a wave or a single man oppose an army?” He replied back, the air of calmness still firmly resonating in his every word. Something inside of me would not accept this. I would not let innocent people die at the hands of those monsters, I would not let Suzume die. Desperately, I tried to think of a plan. Something that might work. Yet nothing came to mind. I had been taught to use whatever resource I had been given yet…. And then it hit me. I had weapons and a lot of them. I grabbed by naginata and my bow and raced out of the monastery, wearing nothing but my black kimono.

They say bravery is worst than ignorance. It is most probably true. Ignorance may get you killed but bravery will certainly get you killed. And so I stood in the middle of the village and awaited my fate. I had not a clue what I was doing and my plan was as daft as be but at least I would die honorably. I was but one man up against a fifty or so hardened warriors. I had no hope of rallying the villagers and even if I did, they would be mere cannon fodder. And so I stood there alone and without hope. And as the final bit of hope left me, I found myself scared, more frightened than ever. Yet a faint but familiar noise returned that hope. It gradually got louder and louder, yet I could not find where it was coming from. Suddenly, behind me the monks, chanting religious prayers, stood, led by Shizurako. He walked forward until he was but inches away from me.

“You know this is stupid?” A little chuckle escaped my mouth. Victory was now possible thanks to him.

“Yes, I do. But don't we have to do something stupid once in a while.!”

A haunting silence befell the village. Ahead of us, five ships had docked on the sand. Waves lapped at the bows of the ship while the sails rustled in the wind. Children peeped out of their windows, eager to gain a view of the battle that was about to unfold, much to the chagrin of their mothers. One by one, the wako scum jumped off the safety of their ships, onto the soft, wet sand. All I had to do was give the signal for the monks to charge yet I simply stood there, fixed to the spot, paralyzed with fear. I knew that with each second that passed, with each pathetic pirate jumped that jumped off their ship onto the sand, the odds became began to swing their way. Shizurako slowly walked up to me, his footsteps the only sound except for monotonous sound of the waves. He leant forward and whispered into my ears.

“Now would be a good time.” I simply nodded in reply, even my vocal muscles paralyzed with fear. I cursed myself and my utter incompetence as I continued to just stand there. My inaction here could have consequences not worth imagining. And with the ever lingering thought of Suzume’s death in my mind, I summoned all of my strength and courage and slowly began to lift up my bow. I slowly notched an arrow and began to gradually draw back the bow string. What should of taken me but mere seconds seemed to become a long and drawn out affair, where I was fighting my own internal battles against my own fears. With a loud Twang, my arrow flew towards its intended target, hitting him right in the throat. He staggered around a bit before he fell effortlessly to the ground. A pool of blood spread around him, staining the sand a dark red. Infused with adrenaline, I threw down my bow, aware of its uselessness in melee, and charged forward, my naginata thirsty for blood. Behind me, a swarm of monks charged forward. Battle cries from both sides reverberated through the village. I remember skewering the man in front of me, my naginata plunging into his heart. Around me, my fellow monks did much the same and soon the odds were firmly in our favour.

Seeing this, the enemy commander charged at me, his katana in the air. I managed to block his first attack yet the second one caught me completely off guard and I was sent tumbling to the ground. Still desperately holding on to my naginata, I blocked what him and I thought would be the fatal blow. The shaft of my naginata managed to stay true and thus was able to continue aiding me in the constant battle to block attack after attack. A blip in my enemy’s concentration allowed me to get back onto my feet. But his attacks soon became careless and after roughly a minute of constant parrying and dodging his blocks, I gradually began to force him back and finally started to inflict my own attacks. With one huge swing of my naginata I managed to knock his katana right from his hands, sending it flying to the ground. He soon found himself defenseless and with nowhere to run. I began to unleash a barrage of attacks, my enemy only able to dodge and block with a small dagger. After wearing down his defense, I managed to inflict the killing blow; his lifeless body falling back into the very ocean he came from. His body slowly floated out to sea, where one could see it would soon become food for the sharks. I collapsed to my knees from sheer exhaustion. The day had been won and victory was ours. Most importantly though, Suzume was safe.

I knelt before Shatsu Kitaroko, with a rather annoyed look on my face.

“But we must destroy them, once and for all.” I pleaded desperately. He simply stat and stared at me, his scared face devoid of any emotion. Yet it seemed that my pleas would fall on deaf ears. I had been there for over an hour, presenting my case, arguing my points, yet it looked like it would all be to no avail.

“My previous answer still stands. Now I bid you goodbye Yuki-sama.

“No!” I screamed in sheer frustration. “I will not leave until you change your mind!”

His face went a bright red as he slowly got up and began walking towards me. From my kneeling position he appeared to tower over me.

“I have the right to lock you away or…. I could kill you. Which one do you prefer?” A sinister grin crept along his face. “Leave now and all will be forgotten.” His bodyguard, who previously had been standing up against the wall, now began to walk towards me, a sinister grin also on his face. I slowly got up, eager not to feel the blade of his katana and, after a quick ceremonious bow, made my way to the exit. Shizurako stood waiting for me. I gave a simple shake of my head and this seemed to convey all the information needed. Then suddenly, a thought popped into my head.
    If they will not help us, then we will go there ourselves.

A haunting fog seemed to surround us, obscuring our vision as well as hiding any potential enemies. It was only broken by the faint lights radiating from our lanterns. With each row of the oars, we drew ever closer to the island. As we all waited silently, the tips of our naginatas glowed in the moonlight. We all huddle together for warmth, the monastic robes offering little protection. We could sense the island, yet due to the fog, we were unable to see it. There was nothing to do but sit, wait and pray we would not be detected. Suddenly, we jolted forwards as our small, wooden boats came to an abrupt halt. One by one, we jumped out of our boats into the ice cold water, our robes becoming instantly drenched. We slowly waded through the shallows until we reached the safety and comfort of dry land. We bolted for the cover of the trees, eager to avoid detection from any sort of patrol guards. As we tiptoed though the maze of trees, faint sounds, not unlike that of revelry and happiness, became audible. Lanterns replaced the stars and the outlines of small buildings became visible. Despite the menacing size and appearance of the camp, it was in fact, lightly guarded. Only twenty or so men, much less then we expected as well as much less than our own, guarded the camp. I myself was quietly confident of victory and hopeful that our victory would bring the end to the wako presence.

The sentries were dispatched with ease and without alerting anyone else. After they were removed, it was only a matter of taking out each guard silently and that proved quite easy. After eliminating many of the guards, we found the last remaining guards huddled around a fire, recounting past adventures. They had little time to ready themselves before we charged them, and so the resulting melee was short and swift. The wako threat was over and peace, at last would reign over this small, isolated part of Japan.

The night sky is an astonishing and mesmerizing sight. The stars twinkled against a black backdrop of the night sky. It felt like if you jumped high enough you could reach it but it is always just too far away. Maybe we will one day send a lucky man up there. Maybe one day we will walk on the moon and look up to see the Earth, in all its beauty and majesty. But for now, we are consigned to sit, stare, dream and question our own place in this world. As I stared blankly at the night sky, I wondered if this night could get any better. A warm breeze gently blew against my face, while the feeling of victory still rushed through my veins. I felt a feeling of accomplishment, a feeling that I had actually done something important. We had fought, not for honor, nor for pride, nor for our own selfish reasons but rather for the ones we loved, for the people we cared for. And so I lay on the soft, lush grass, enjoying the wonder of the night. A sort of trance had befallen me and I was lulled into a false sense of security, almost a false happiness….

“Yuki!” My trance was immediately broken, by a familiar voice. A voice as delightful as merriness itself. I slowly lifted myself in order to put a face to the voice. Yet only darkness surrounded me. The moon and stars above provided a little light but only enough to see the outlines of everything. A faint glow radiated from the village, yet it, like the stars and moon, was only useful to look at. Suddenly, from the darkness, emerged Suzume, clothed in a a stunning white kimono, which itself seemed to radiate its own white light. Her unblemished face was as beautiful as when I first laid eyes on it. Her eyes twinkled like the stars, which watched us from above and her smile instantly could make the moon jealous. I desperately tried to quell the sheer delight, which grew rapidly inside of me.

“Suzume?” It was less of a question, more of a statement, which conveyed by shock. I wanted to run to her and hold her so very tight and then never let go. But I hesitated, unsure of why she was here or in fact if I was asleep. But I did not care a bit for her reasons and rushed over to her and immediately wrapped my hands around her as soon as we came into contact. In fact, I held her so tight that indeed she might of fainted if I had gone on for any longer. Why should I contain my happiness for any longer? But yet again, something in my mind caused me to hesitate.

“What, what about your father?” I seemed to stumble on each word, my ability to talk seemingly lost in all my sheer delight.

“It does not matter. You saved us, you saved me.” It was true but yet it hadn’t felt really real until then.

“I need to tell you something.” She slowly pulled me to the ground until we both lay on the soft grass, staring at the night sky.

“My father never thought you weren’t good enough for me nor did not believe you were a fine and capable warrior. In fact, he thought you very suitable for me.” This came as a sever shock to me. If he thought me suitable, then why discard me?

“Its just, just my fate was already decided by me. Those men, those monsters, had been here before. Our village had no hope of resisting them. We secured peace but at a cost. One girl would be taken hostage every two years. They were supposed to give the hostages back but they never did. I was chosen this year.” I nearly choked on the very air I was breathing in response to this. It utterly disgusted me. I could only imagine the horrors they inflicted on those poor girls. The horrors they would inflict on Suzume.

“I was doomed before you came. You offered me hope and most importantly made me feel loved. You saved me and I will never forget that.” She leant forward and kissed me and for the first time I felt alive again. A powerful surge of indescribable energy rushed through my body. The void inside of my heart was filled with the greatest thing on this planet; love. I promised to myself that I would never harm Suzume or let harm befell her. And so we lay blissfully in each other’s arms for the rest of the night and for once I felt truly happy.
    Last edited by Merchant of Venice; October 11, 2013 at 09:35 PM.

Oops double post sorry internet errors
    Last edited by Merchant of Venice; July 07, 2013 at 03:49 AM.

Default Re: Way of the Bow:A Chosokabe AAR-(Updated Chapter VIII 20/6

Sorry guys for the long delay before chapter 8. Exams were on and I also had to juggle moving house(in fact I'm moving house tomorrow). Any comments or feedback would be much appreciated. The formatting for the last chapter may be a bit off so just comment if anything is wrong. Also I like to give another big thanks to everyone who voted for me in the tie-braker. I will not let you down!
    Last edited by Merchant of Venice; June 21, 2013 at 02:31 AM.

Default Re: Way of the Bow:A Chosokabe AAR-(Updated Chapter VIII 20/6)

I'm sorry, I don't know what to say. Or what I should say here... But ... I feel like this could... I felt like I was reading a novel. The more and more I read into it the more I was drawn in. I want more! more! Unfortunately I know that exams are. And now that the summers here hopefully thing's will pick up. But oh my gosh! Chosokabe is my absolute favorite FAVORITE clan. This story grabbed me and pulled me in. There is a saying that when you're done reading a book, and you feel like you've lost a good friend, you know it's a good book. When I was done reading all that you've typed... I honestly felt really depressed. You may not have gotten a lot of replies, you may not have gotten many people saying this is awesome. But I for one can come out and say this is amazing. This is art. This is something you should be proud of. If I had money my good friend I would hire you to make this into a book. But sadly I do not. All I can say is thank you, for this awesome piece of literature.

Quote Originally Posted by Pason View Post
    I'm sorry, I don't know what to say. Or what I should say here... But ... I feel like this could... I felt like I was reading a novel. The more and more I read into it the more I was drawn in. I want more! more! Unfortunately I know that exams are. And now that the summers here hopefully thing's will pick up. But oh my gosh! Chosokabe is my absolute favorite FAVORITE clan. This story grabbed me and pulled me in. There is a saying that when you're done reading a book, and you feel like you've lost a good friend, you know it's a good book. When I was done reading all that you've typed... I honestly felt really depressed. You may not have gotten a lot of replies, you may not have gotten many people saying this is awesome. But I for one can come out and say this is amazing. This is art. This is something you should be proud of. If I had money my good friend I would hire you to make this into a book. But sadly I do not. All I can say is thank you, for this awesome piece of literature.
    Wow Thankyou so much for your kind words. They have really made my day. I'm so happy you feel that way. And don't worry, the next chapter might be up by the end of this week. I'm on break so I've got nothing to do but write.... and play video games! But writing is more important and thus I will write! And yet again thankyou so much for your words.

Chapter IX- Running Away

“You nervous?” Asked Suzume, as she stared up at the stars.

“Nervous? For What?”

“For the wedding, silly!” She game me a slight slap on the shoulder as we both laughed merrily about frankly nothing.

“Yes!” I finally replied.

“Yes?”

“Yes. In a good way.” My answers accompanied by a cheeky smile. An awkward silence befell us until Suzume finally replied.

“I’m not. In fact, I consider I won’t sleep one bit tonight!” Her words began to drift away towards the end, as if she was already dreaming about tomorrow. She leant forward and gave me a small kiss but before we could continue we were interrupted by a deafening explosion. Thankfully, it was nothing but the beginning of the night’s celebrations. Fireworks by the dozen shot up in the night sky, only to explode mid-way up into a thousand colourful rays of light. Laughter beamed out from the village, while couples just like me and Suzume, lay in each other’s embrace under the watchful gaze of the speckled moon. Loud gasps of awe were separated by spouts of silence. As I stared intently at the dizzying display of fireworks above me, I too fancied I would not sleep that night. Not out of nervousness or worry but rather out of my own impatience. I knew the next day would be the beginning of a new life, a new life with Suzume. And I could just not wait for it.

Perfection.

One word that describes her, that symbolizes her.

Perfection. The rolled the word of my tongue over and over again.

Perfection

I stood in awe as she gracefully walked towards me. Her stunning white kimono left everyone in her wake, awed and mesmerized. Sakura blossoms danced down her sleeves. Her hair was done up in a beautifully crafted bun, while various kanzashi accessories were shoved through her hair, as if in an attempt to make her more beautiful. A top her head, a tsuno-kakushi, a sort of headdress, sat elegantly, swaying with every foot step. The sound of her Zori as they clashed with the stone footpath, reverberated throughout the monastery. Her parents sat in the front row, a polite smile upon their faces. As Suzume took her place beside me, my heart began to beat faster and faster, its rhythmic beat pulsating throughout my body. I did not believe the day had come and desperately wished this was not an elaborate dream, constructed around my fantasies. Shizurako stood in front of me, ready to begin the ceremony. He seemed melancholy, as if he was happy for me yet saddened that I was leaving. I was not aware that he felt that deeply about me and deep down I too felt the same way. He had been my guiding light through these dark times yet now I had reached my destination and to him, it must of appeared that I was simply throwing him away, like a kid would once he has grown out of a toy. How could I treat him like this?

My trance was broken by Suzume’s sweet voice, as she handed me a small cup of sake. I stared into the drink, into my reflection. As I gulped down the first sip, I felt a familiar feeling rushing through my body. As part of my training, I had not sipped this sweet drink for months now. As I eagerly gulped down the next sip, a disapproving look crept onto Shizurako’s face. He knew how hard it must of been for me. And so, as I passed the ceramic cup to Suzume’s father, something inside of me did not want to let it go. It held onto the cup a second more until it conceited defeat and withdrew back into me, the cup passing out of its reach. I glanced back at Suzume, her lips highlighted by the ruby red beni that was smothered over them. My life, for once, was going to plan.

I found Shizurako after the ceremony, leaning on a rock as he stared out into the sunset.

“You know this is where you came to me. It seems like so long ago.” I silently nodded in reply as I reminisced about that cold night. I could almost feel the chilly, crisp wind against my face as well as the sheer fear inside of me.

“I remember too well.” I walked up next to him, trying to see what he saw, trying to feel what he felt.

“I guess I will never see you again, Yuki.” A tear crept down my face, was this the end?

“I guess not, but I will always remember you.” I said, as I attempted to hold back the tears.

“Do not remember me, only remember what I have taught you. Live your life by it, do not stray from the path. It will be difficult but always hold on to your beliefs and ideologies. At times, they may be the only thing you have. Goodbye Yuki, though be it only for now. May our paths cross again.” With that, he walked off into the distance, his body becoming simply a shadow in the dark. And so, I let the tears free.

“Yuki, Yuki, wake up!” Suzume tugged feverishly at my left shoulder, urging me desperately to wake up. As I forced my eyelids open, I was greeted by the morning sun, its warm rays illuminating the room. I gave a long, low, stifled grown as I was pulled quite literally from my deep slumber. Quietly I whispered to my self.

“Gods hope this isn’t what marriage is like.” In the end, it was Suzume who won, and I reluctantly rolled over just enough to face her. Her hair was in a wild mess yet her eyes burned with excitement as she bore a childish grin. Whatever she wanted to say would not be good.

“Yuki, take me on an adventure!”

“What?” I moaned, my brain still half asleep. As I tried to process what she was saying, I just got more and more confused. And what did she mean by adventure?

“An adventure, Yuki. You and me, together.” Suddenly, she looked as if she was a small child, begging her father to take her someone. Yet just like a young child, I knew that her mind was already made up and saying no would only result in disappointment.

“I was thinking last night-” I interrupted her before she could go on.

“Wait, wait. Were you ‘thinking’ about this during or after we were making love.” She waved her hand around as if trying to tell me it didn’t really care.

“After, of course. So you and I could leave here and set off, live our lives while our blood is still boiling and while we are still young and vibrant. What do you say? Maybe tonight?”

“Tonight!” I exclaimed, flabbergasted why she hadn’t told me earlier. We could of made plans, got together supplies.

“Well, it wouldn’t be a real adventure if we were ready for it!” At this point I was seriously considering if someone had replaced Suzume with this crazy lady. Or maybe the kami had possessed her....

“So, better start packing!” I fell back onto my pillow, not because I was tired but rather in utter frustration.

“Oh and thank you for agreeing so wholeheartedly with me.” And with that, she game me a small kiss on the cheek, jumped out of bed, sending the sheets flying in the process, and danced her way out, as if she was in tune to her own melody. As she danced her way out, happiness and joy seemed to radiate from her and yet I was feeling none of it.

Just frustration.

The wooden floorboards below me creaked like a hurt animal as I tiptoed across them. I must of looked like a drunken animal as I staggered around in the dark, crashing into furniture after furniture. I almost wet myself when I ran into Suzume, her hands firmly on her waist, with a disapproving look on her face.

“Could you make some more noise?” She whispered sarcastically. It was easy for her, she did not have to carry around the luggage like a pack mule. In fact, that reminded of something. Where was the donkey we were supposed to be taking?

“Suzume, suzume!” I whispered continuously, yet she gave not even the faintest hint that she heard me. She looked like a tiger stalking its prey, her every though on where next to place her foot. She cringed every time she made the faintest noise and when she did, she perked her neck up, looked left than right than left, and then continued on. When she finally looked back she had an even more disapproving look on her face.

“What?” She snapped, the frustration and annoyance at me burning like a flame in her eyes.

“Where’s the mule?” I asked cautiously, eager not to upset the beast.

“Chikushō!” She exclaimed as she waved her hands around in a rather angry way. Fortunately, before things turned ugly, a familiar noise penetrated the silence.

Eee Ohhh

“There it is.” She whispered, the anger on her face turning to delight. “Come on. We have an adventure waiting for us!”

Suzume snored quietly as she lay on the soft grass. She seemed so peaceful, so blissful. She and the mule almost snored in a weird type of rhythm. As I stared at her, I thought back to the events of the last couple of days. I though back to the marriage, to us under the fireworks, to that crazy morning and then to our escape. Our escape of life and all its hassles. I felt free, like a bird out of a cage, for the first time in a long time. There was something about Suzume that seemed to rub off on everyone around her. She lived life as if there was no tomorrow and I was almost jealous of her for that. She seemed to live without any worry for the consequences and made you feel special. Oh how she made you feel special. When she looked at you and smiled with that smile, you felt almost anything was possible. You felt that you meant something to someone. When she laughed you felt happy, when she cried you felt depressed. And when she ran around without a care in the world you wanted to too, even if it was just to be near her. And so I as I watched her, sleeping like a child worn out after a long day, I felt we had made the right decision. Oh how it was glorious to feel young and alive. Oh how it was glorious.

Suzume danced in the long, lushes grass, the sun her dance partner. She lapped up every golden ray. She seemed to run entirely on the sun’s warmth, like it was her only source of energy. Every now and then, she would disappear into the grass and I, her faithful servant, would rush over, only to find her lying in the grass, laughing her head off. The journey to the castle of Kanoya was tiring yet it was enjoyable, Suzume proving to be the perfect traveling companion. As each day passed, I began to love her more and more. While the sun was up, we would travel constantly but when night came around, we would lay in each other’s arms in front of a warm, cozy fire and we would stare up into the night sky soak up every minute. It was only the two of us, and I was happy because of that. We were alone up until one day, a day that would alter our lives.

As I walked through the endless fields of grass, only separated by islands of trees, I pondered on the events ever since I left home. My first battle, the journey to this island, the surprise ambush and of course, waking up in Suzume’s house. I reminiscined to the night when we both confessed our love for each other, I thought back to that fateful conversation with her father, I remembered every last detail of the battle with the pirates and then the following ambush. I recalled that night, when, after what felt like years apart, we found each other. Since I left home, my life had been a roller coaster and yet for all its ups and downs I was glad I had left. As Suzume would say;

“You have to live life while your still young.”

But my trance was broken by the sight of what looked like an old man. He was hunched over and lay against the base of a large pine tree, the pine needles forming a sort of carpet below him. I stopped dead in my tracks, for it was the first person we had seen in weeks. I called over to Suzume, who was frolicking in a nearby river.

“Suzume, there is someone over there.” Suddenly, she too stopped and perched her head to look over to where I was pointing. She rushed out of the river, clothed herself in a rush and immediately began to race over to the old man. It was as if she had thrown all caution to the wind and let her curiosity get he better of her. I called repeatedly for her to stop yet she did nothing to heed my words. And so, I had no choice but to follow her, no matter how foolish her actions. I arrived panting heavily, only to see Suzume knelt down next to the old man, her back running across his back in a soothing action. She repeatedly tried to ask for his name but the only rely she got was a stifled moan. The man’s head was like a shiny ball, all his hair removed . His mustache, once presumably well trimmed, was now a mess. Yet what most intrigued me was the golden cross, which hung loosely around his wrinkled neck. The gold was some of the finest I had seen, and it shimmered in the sunlight. Whoever this man was, he must of been important. But then, why was he lying here like a hermit?

“What is your name?” I asked slowly, clearing pronouncing each word. Suzume slapped me on the shoulder and whispered.

“He is not dumb!” I simply shrugged my shoulders and let Suzume do the talking, for it seems she was a master in these sort of situation. We had about given up hope and were about to begin heading back to our mule when we heard the old man speak, his voice croaky and raspy.

“My name is Sorin. Otomo Sorin.

Otomo Sorin knelt in front of Chosokabe Motochika, as the latter slowly sipped his tea. Only the loud slurps from the latter penetrated the almost indefinite silence. The former lay with the tip of his head just touching the smooth, polished floorboards, while the latter gazed intently at his guest, as if he was examining him.

“Sorin-sama, what it is that you want?” Motochika’s voice boomed across the small room. In comparison, Sorin’s voice was quite timid and soft.

“I come for your assistance, Tono.” He voice so timid and soft it was as if a mouse was addressing a tiger. He continued on.

“I seek assistance in order to reclaim my lands.” A muffled chuckle burst out of Motochika’s mouth.

Shoni?”

“Yes. We perceived them as friends right up until they lay siege to my castle in Bungo.” He muttered a few curses towards the Ouchi, though not quiet enough for the whole room to hear.

“I am sorry, Tono.” Motochika simply smiled and waved his hand, symbolizing no need for an apology.

“None of us are friends with the Ouchi. Now what do I get out of this?” Sorin simple answered with one word.

“Tanegashima.” Motochika’s face lit up like a little boy’s.

“How many?”

“Two hundred and fifty.” His face lit up again as his eyes burned with exhilaration.

“And what do you want.”

“Only a small fief. Bungo castle, the port and possibly some of the surrounding countryside.” Replied Sorin, happy at where the talks were going.

“That is one of the richest and most valuable fiefs in all of Japan.”

“Yes, but I was once their lord. They respect and most of all, I have ties with the Nanban.” At the sound of this word, Motochika sat up and stiffened a little bit. As he stared at his guest, his eyes kept going back to the small necklace around Sorin’s neck. It was made out of some of the finest gold in Japan and gleamed an iridescent glow like the sun itself, as if it was beckoning you to see the light.

“Very well. But I will be your lord above anyone else. You incite a revolt of any kind against my rule or even consider bearing arms against me and your ties to the Nanban nor your tanegashima will not stop my blade from falling on you.” His final words echoed around the room, burying into the ears of Sorin. After a ceremonial bow, he left, a glowing smile on Sorin's face.

Finally, I will return to my lands and then, and then the Shoni will pay.
    Last edited by Merchant of Venice; October 11, 2013 at 09:37 PM.