Thread: Dwarven infantry not so strong?

Default Dwarven infantry not so strong?

I'm playing Third Age 3.2 currently as Dwarfs. In the faction info there is a note, that they have best heavy infantry in a game. But I noticed a strange thing. I'm fighting against Rhun and Easterlings Loke-Flag Rim are just massacring my Iron Guard. I thought it's because of very hard difficulty, but playing as Rhun in custom Loke-Flag Rim has won quite easy too. I tried against them every heavy infantry unit and only Guards of Khazad-Dum can outmatch them. Could someone give me a sensible explanation? I know they had ability to fight well against armored units, but so do Dragonslayers and they die even quicker than Iron Guard. Do Dwarfs still have best infantry in Middle-Earth?

Default Re: Dwarven infantry not so strong?

Quote Originally Posted by Holy.Death View Post
    Do Dwarfs still have best infantry in Middle-Earth?
    No they don`t, you obviously haven`t tried playing with my KIND......
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

In my Rhun campaign I found out the opposite, I usually maintained victory, but with extreme losses. They are pretty much the best heavy infantry but can be beaten if against a somewhat experienced opponent.

Originally Posted by PapaRosario
    Thank you very much for your response Bababigna. I'm sure all of the people from 2006 will be very grateful for your input.

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

The Dwarves have the best heavy infantry in the game. If you use it right, you'll just steamroll over almost everything.

Aldor's Avatar Campidoctor

First of all Dwarves can recruit much more heavy infantry than other factions. Their tier 2 infantry, the Dwarven warriors are already quite good.

You should compare this to Rohan. Their cavalry isn't the best, but they can recruit alot of them. Nazgul/Eldar lancers are amongst the best cav, yet Mordor/High Elves aren't a cav faction.

If you waited for the enemy to build up so they can spam their elite infantry, then you lose much of your early advantage.

Also did you try with shieldwall on?

Just tested Iron Guard: 30 losses. If you micromanage combined with shieldwall they own Rhun.

NB: also tested with Elven Swordsmen and Spearmen, they barely win. However Eldar lancers only lost 17 men.
    Last edited by Aldor; December 23, 2012 at 05:40 PM.
    Retired GS member, admin and local moderator in Hotseat Subforum. Voted best TATW admin.

Try turning on shield wall, and then marching your infantry formations right through the enemy unit.

FC Groningen's Avatar Senator

Note that Loke Flag rim are armour piercing units as well so they receive a benefit against your heavily armoured troops. Yet, in general, the quality of your troops should surpass Rhun's.

Thanks for many replies and answers. I didn't micromanage heavy infantry, I did it only with my pikemen, vaults are quite decent unit against enemy melee. I know the ability to form shieldwall but never knew exactly what bonuses it gives. Is this good in melee combat? What do you mean by micromanaging? Just walking through enemy unit? Flanking?

I'll make some more test, to check it out.

PS I tried to fight using shieldwall and moving a bit forward. Iron Guards just cut through enemy formation like knife against butter! Lost only 1/3 of a unit and killed almost everyone of them. Once again thanks for fast response. You really solved my problem, guys!
    Last edited by Holy.Death; December 23, 2012 at 06:37 PM.

Shield wall increases the unit's mass, not sure about armor, but I think it get some sort of bonus against attacks as well, at least it seems that way since they take less casualties from arrow fire.
    My favorite trick using the shield wall is to "pop" my formation by disabling shield wall while my unit was embedded into theirs. Since shield wall shrinks each dwarf's radius, reverting back into their original radius size makes them aggressively push out from their tight formation. It's like an exploding clown car so to speak. The one down side with this is that, it the opposing unit is strong in morale, while this would kill a lot of them very quickly, they will end up killing a lot of your dwarves if you're too careless and don't time it at the enemy's breaking point.

dannyalex's Avatar Campidoctor

dwarves working just fine in my last campaign even in vh vh
    Most Chivalrous commander 2020-2021

Quote Originally Posted by ElvenKind View Post
    No they don`t, you obviously haven`t tried playing with my KIND......
    Hehehe , Long Live the Elves

Gimli's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Holy.Death View Post
    I'm playing Third Age 3.2 currently as Dwarfs. In the faction info there is a note, that they have best heavy infantry in a game. But I noticed a strange thing. I'm fighting against Rhun and Easterlings Loke-Flag Rim are just massacring my Iron Guard. I thought it's because of very hard difficulty, but playing as Rhun in custom Loke-Flag Rim has won quite easy too. I tried against them every heavy infantry unit and only Guards of Khazad-Dum can outmatch them. Could someone give me a sensible explanation? I know they had ability to fight well against armored units, but so do Dragonslayers and they die even quicker than Iron Guard. Do Dwarfs still have best infantry in Middle-Earth?
    It depends on how well upgraded the Loke-Rim are, if they have 2 Silver Chevrons, and B Attack and B Defense they would probably take out the Iron Guard. Head to head without any upgrades, Iron Guard would win. I would advise building some Black Smiths, ect.

Also, the Dwarves field the best Infantry in the game, and have the best auto-resolve stats. You just honestly have to use the Infantry to its full extent.

Quote Originally Posted by 1st Viscount, Lor'themar Theron View Post
    Hehehe , Long Live the Elves
    They're immortal, so they probably will.

" Loke Flag rim are armour piercing units as well so they receive a benefit against your heavily armoured troops"

No, they don't receive a benefit. The penalty is just less severe.

What are B Attack and B Defense?

Bronze = Tier 3 ; C

Silver = Tier 2 ; B

Gold = Tier 1 ; A

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    They're immortal, so they probably will.
    Hehehe

Is that their experience or their armour upgrade level? Or their armour colour? Defense doesn't increase with experience (curse you, CA), so why is that considered?