Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Bigger, Older Universe

Default A Bigger, Older Universe

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14230368/
    Quote Originally Posted by MSNBC
    Scientists now estimate the universe to be about 13.7 billion years old (a figure that has seemed firm since 2003, based on measurements of radiation leftover from the Big Bang) and about 156 billion light-years wide.

The new finding implies that the universe is instead about 15.8 billion years old and about 180 billion light-years wide.
    Wow, I wonder what lies outside of that 180 billionth light-year.

Tecumseh's Avatar Watching, Waiting

Default Re: A Bigger, Older Universe

Quote Originally Posted by Honor&Glory

Probably God.

Quote Originally Posted by Tecumseh
    Probably God.
    Or maybe another universe; assuming of course that it would be even possible for us to leave our universe. :hmmm:

In before someone uses the everchanging nature of science as a reason why it's wrong and something which has remained the same for centuries is right. :original:

I'd be suprised if we can leave our universe. I kind of figured it was the single one in our dimension, but hypothetically there could be other universes...I mean, ours was made by the big bang, so maybe there was something it was in prior to it? Like a big black goop, where little nuclei of matter explode and develop islands of universes.

Or maybe another universe; assuming of course that it would be even possible for us to leave our universe. :hmmm:
    A theory is there are multiple universes depending upon the choices we make within the day. My brother reads so much about this stuff and that is one theory he told me about.

adnan

Why is there so much difference between the number of years since the beginning and the width of the universe? It can't expand faster than the speed of light, can it.
    Given any number of random, even contradictory metaphysical postulates, a justification, however absurd, can be logically developed.

Mapping advances anybody can use. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39035

My theory (which is very abstract) is that the universe was formed in the same fashion as cells, using the earth as a basis of my theory. Afterall most things come from other things. So isn't possible that our universe could have come from another?
    Quote Originally Posted by Honor&Glory inspired by Archer
    How much will I pay to sit in front of a TV and chase polygons?

Pra's Avatar Sir Lucious Left Foot

You'd never find out. If you supposedly 'stepped' outside the Universe, you'd still be in it. My understanding is that the Universe is like a sphere, to an extent. You cannot get to the 'edge' of it, or rather you'd never fall off of it.

Also, there can be multiple universes based on varying initial conditions in the Big Bang Time; that's supposedly in the 7th or 8th demension.
    Under patronage of Emperor Dimitricus Patron of vikrant1986, ErikinWest, VOP2288

Anagennese, the Rise of the Black Hand

MacMillan doesn't compensate for variable humidity,wind speed and direction or the coriolis effect. Mother nature compensates for where Macmillan's crosshairs are.

Quote Originally Posted by Prarara
    You'd never find out. If you supposedly 'stepped' outside the Universe, you'd still be in it. My understanding is that the Universe is like a sphere, to an extent. You cannot get to the 'edge' of it, or rather you'd never fall off of it.

Also, there can be multiple universes based on varying initial conditions in the Big Bang Time; that's supposedly in the 7th or 8th demension.
    Right, but even if it is in the form of a sphere, then shouldn't you still be able to break through the sphere somehow? :hmmm:

Right, but even if it is in the form of a sphere, then shouldn't you still be able to break through the sphere somehow? :hmmm:
    The only problem is that is that an object moving at the speed of light maintains a constant distance to the edge.
    Given any number of random, even contradictory metaphysical postulates, a justification, however absurd, can be logically developed.

Mapping advances anybody can use. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39035

It's hard to understand, but the nature is such, that spacetime only allows you to travel in a direction 'not off of the sphere', per say.
    Under patronage of Emperor Dimitricus Patron of vikrant1986, ErikinWest, VOP2288

MacMillan doesn't compensate for variable humidity,wind speed and direction or the coriolis effect. Mother nature compensates for where Macmillan's crosshairs are.

Quote Originally Posted by Prarara
    It's hard to understand, but the nature is such, that spacetime only allows you to travel in a direction 'not off of the sphere', per say.
    What? All straight lines are curved? Then all you have to do is fly in a curvature relative to a fixed point slowly orienting oneself straighter and straighter to that fixed point over time. Of course, if you ever reached the edge, i guess it would just translate your motion such that you just turn as you hit it regardless of how you travel at it.
    Last edited by bdh; August 07, 2006 at 11:44 PM.

Na, Imagin the universe as a huge doughnut, if you were to run from one side to the other, it would seem as though you were going straight, when infact you're going in circles, you get what i'm saying?

Adnan

Quote Originally Posted by bdh
    What? All straight lines are curved? Then all you have to do is fly in a curvature relative to a fixed point slowly orienting oneself straighter and straighter to that fixed point over time. Of course, if you ever reached the edge, i guess it would just translate your motion such that you just turn as you hit it regardless of how you travel at it.
    As Adnan said, you are in a way on a 'donut'. Imagine it like that.

EXCEPT if travelling in anything other than a percieved straight line still isn't straight, the universe is formless.

As Adnan said, you are in a way on a 'donut'. Imagine it like that.
    Its easier to just think of it as just travelling around the earth. You're always walking straight, but you're going in circles.

Its easier to just think of it as just travelling around the earth. You're always walking straight, but you're going in circles.
    My brother also put it in another way that basicly, if the Universe was shrunken down enough then it would be like so.

You are standing straight, you see a person infront of you, you touch his shoulder, you feel your own hand on your shoulder.

You look to the side, you see your body and the back of your head. The same on the left.

You look behind you, you see yourself from the back, etc etc.

That's how my bro simplified it for me, but now just increase the size and that's the universe, no shape, no form.

Adnan

EXCEPT if travelling in anything other than a percieved straight line still isn't straight, the universe is formless.

Yeah, but can't you go perpendicular to the curve of the Universe? Just like how we can leave Earth.

Yeah, but can't you go perpendicular to the curve of the Universe? Just like how we can leave Earth.
    Yes, except you'll feel like you're going curved.

That is unless the universe has a changing shape. You could feasibly do this provided you know the shape, regardless of how formless, complex, or strange it is.

Of course, in order to actually achieve, we would also need to know the shape of the object outside the universe since we need to be moving straight relative to that.
    Last edited by bdh; August 08, 2006 at 12:53 AM.

Valentin the II's Avatar Primicerius

Actualy you would be able to "get out" of the unverse if it wasnt expanding at a constant raite (speed of light). So all you need is to divelop something that will travel faster than light and then cover the distance in 2-3 hundred bilion yers.
    Piece of kake .
    Born to be wild - live to outgrow it (Lao Tzu)
    Someday you will die and somehow something's going to steal your carbon
    In contrast to the efforts of tiny Israel to make contributions to the world so as to better mankind, one has to ask what have those who have strived to eliminate Israel from the face of the earth done other than to create hate and bloodshed.

I have a theory, that is in no way supported by any scientific theory that since our universe is expanding it means there is another Universe that is being shrunken and assimilated by our universe's expansion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast