Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Connections between England and Westeros

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Connections between England and Westeros

I think you're confusing them with Churches.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Mount Suribachi's Avatar Ordinarius

Well, with all the hoopla over the discovery of Richard III's body, there's been lots about the War of the Roses on TV. The servant who allegedly killed the boys in the tower was a Tyrell, the treacherous lord who switched sides halfway through the Battle of Bosworth was none other than......Lord Bolton! Make of that what you will
    Always keep your foes confused. If they are never certain who you are or what you want, they cannot know what you are like to do next. Sometimes the best way to baffle them is to make moves that have no purpose, or even seem to work against you - Littlefinger

Quote Originally Posted by Mount Suribachi View Post
    Well, with all the hoopla over the discovery of Richard III's body, there's been lots about the War of the Roses on TV. The servant who allegedly killed the boys in the tower was a Tyrell, the treacherous lord who switched sides halfway through the Battle of Bosworth was none other than......Lord Bolton! Make of that what you will
    And Lord Stanley Bolton went from the Yorks/Starks to the Lancasters/Lannisters, and changed the course of the battle.

Then I realised Richard III was a cross between Stannis and Tyrion. Deformed man with strong sense of justice who was always the loyal younger brother declares his elder brothers children illegitimate and seizes throne.
    Always keep your foes confused. If they are never certain who you are or what you want, they cannot know what you are like to do next. Sometimes the best way to baffle them is to make moves that have no purpose, or even seem to work against you - Littlefinger

Then I realised Richard III was a cross between Stannis and Tyrion. Deformed man with strong sense of justice who was always the loyal younger brother declares his elder brothers children illegitimate and seizes throne.
    We only get the deformed parts from Shakespeare.

No, they've found him, and he really did have a bent spine and undersized arms

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-21063882

Don't know if this is viewable outside the UK, but it was on last night and was very interesting showing the story of how they found and identified him. Only problem is its presented by one of the actors from Horrible Histories - I kept expecting him to break out into a verse of Stupid Deaths at the most inapropriate moment

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/r...e-car-park/4od
    Last edited by Mount Suribachi; February 05, 2013 at 03:13 PM.

No, they've found him, and he really did have a bent spine and undersized arms

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-21063882

Don't know if this is viewable outside the UK, but it was on last night and was very interesting showing the story of how they found and identified him. Only problem is its presented by one of the actors from Horrible Histories - I kept expecting him to break out into a verse of Stupid Deaths at the most inapropriate moment

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/r...e-car-park/4od
    Well, the announcement in Greece lasted about.. 2 minutes. And possibly even less.

Surprised it even got that much - I doubt UK news would feature an article on the body of a Greek king from 500 years ago being found

Surprised it even got that much - I doubt UK news would feature an article on the body of a Greek king from 500 years ago being found
    We didn't have Kings then, so that's why there might have been no bodies found.

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I thought Westeros was Europe.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Mikail Mengsk's Avatar Primicerius

uhm, no.
    It's only after you have lost everything, that you are free to do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikail Mengsk View Post
    uhm, no.
    Seconded, I think that was a fail, Ser Cuddlesthecat.

Sorry if anyone hasn't mentioned this already, but the story of the Reynes of Castamere is inspired by the Baron's War in England. Simon de Monfort (The Lord of Castamere) led a rebellion to overthrow the weak King Henry III ( Tytos Lannister.) The Kings son Prince Edward and the later King Edward I ( Tywin Lannister) crushed the rebellion at the Battle of Evesham.

I see many of you saying that the Yorkists represent the Starks and that the Lancasters represent the Lannisters, but the only similarity I've drawn between them is the colors.

I think:
    House of York = House Baratheon
    House of Lancaster = House Targaryen

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck123 View Post
    Sorry if anyone hasn't mentioned this already, but the story of the Reynes of Castamere is inspired by the Baron's War in England. Simon de Monfort (The Lord of Castamere) led a rebellion to overthrow the weak King Henry III ( Tytos Lannister.) The Kings son Prince Edward and the later King Edward I ( Tywin Lannister) crushed the rebellion at the Battle of Evesham.
    You know what, now you mention it, Tywin is a westerosi Longshanks isn't he? Scots may disagree but Edward I was a kick-ass king

You know what, now you mention it, Tywin is a westerosi Longshanks isn't he? Scots may disagree but Edward I was a kick-ass king
    Very much so. Brutal, a complete Douche to his son (Edward the II,though he was right to be harsh, considering how things ended up), but still awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Heart of Madness View Post
    I see many of you saying that the Yorkists represent the Starks and that the Lancasters represent the Lannisters, but the only similarity I've drawn between them is the colors.

I think:
    House of York = House Baratheon
    House of Lancaster = House Targaryen
    I think so as well. But the real question is, who is Henry Tudor?

Quote Originally Posted by Fürst Frederic View Post
    Robert Baratheon? He has the blood of both and after he wins the war he uses it to claim the throne legally.

Quote Originally Posted by Fürst Frederic View Post
    Heck no it's not Robert. Robert is supposed to be our Edward IV. Feanaro, I suggest you briefly Wikipedia The Wars of the Roses to understand how they played out. Don't worry, I had to do the same. :p

It's between our two Targaryen claimants. The story sets it up to be Dany, but Aegon landing in the Stormlands (what I picture as Wales) is so far very similar to the Bosworth campaign. The only problem is that our Richard III character (Stannis) is currently absent from Southron politics.
    Last edited by Heart of Madness; February 13, 2013 at 08:51 PM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast