1808 hussars

1808 Ulhans

National cav (jager)

Freiwilleger jager

Lutzow's ulhan

Prince of Essling's Avatar Napoleonic Enthusiast
    Patrician

Default Re: Development preview of Prussia

Superb work as usual - + Rep Any chance of getting L'Aigle to make a post so that we can show our appreciation of his efforts as well?
    Sign DLC petition for improved map for NTW
    Useful Websites |Napoleon: Masters of Europe |
    The Wardrobe of 1805 |Napoleon: Art of War|
    Frederick the Great: Art of War|
    Under the Patronage of Gunny
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Icon7 Re: Development preview of Prussia

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Essling View Post
    Superb work as usual - + Rep Any chance of getting L'Aigle to make a post so that we can show our appreciation of his efforts as well?

Hello PoE

I do not post much, it is true , but i follow the thread and others, thank you for your support and help that you provide from the beginning

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

L'Aigle has finished his pass on the Prussian textures. Here are for example the new hussars's cuffs. It's no longer game modding, but a kind of art.

I'm busy making the info card for these units

Wow, what you guys do here with textures is pure art.

Lord Lotion's Avatar Civis

Tis true art, indeed.
    Thank you so much fot this beauty, once more, both and all of you!
    Looking forward to the release of the prussian faction while I am putting the campaign to a thorough test, on french side naturally.

Vive MOE, vive l´Empereur!!!
    =L.H.=

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Freiwilliges Jager zu Pferd

National cavalry Pomerian jager

The Ulhans should be next
    Gorgeous!!!So nice!!!
    Just a little orthographic side note:
    The correct names should be:

"Freiwillige Jäger zu Pferd"

&

"Pommersche Jäger zu Pferd"

I thought this might be of interest due to unit naming in the game.
    If you already have considered this aspect. Pls ignore the remarks.
    =L.H.=

All of these previews are just so, so....mouthwatering...I just can´t stand this tease...I ll have to have a little good night battle right away...couppled with a nice chapter from Marbot...

PS: I humbly urge you for a quick release!!!
    =L.H.=

Civis

hi steph, sorry for bothering you and necroing this thread, and i know you are busy but im just a bit curious about the decisions with the regimental colours, of course i respect your view and choices but as far i remember the regimental color system for prussia was :

East prussia: brick red
    West Prussia: Crimson
    Pomerania: white
    Brandenburg: Scarlet(poppy red)
    Silesia: Yellow

And after the liberation , a bit later in 1814 these colors were added:
    Westphalia: Pink
    Elbe/Magdeburg: Light Blue
    Rhineland: Crab Red

So all your regimental colors seems good and logical (guards units seems to use brandenburg scarlet, grenadiers use a kind of WP crimson, 1808 musketeers use silesian yellow and so on), but the point is, why 1806 musketeers use pink if that color wasnt created until later in the war ?.
    I know is a pain in the ass for me asking this but if the colors could be changed into a better fitting one? the poppy red was the more common color in their troops,but there are a plenty numbers of units using them (including special units, so i dont want to break the magic of unique colors for unique units xD).
    The only color i dont see in any infantry unit is the pomern white, so it could be awesome to have them white and use the pink with a later unit or something...again correct me if im wrong and of course i respect your choice,specially because you are busy making bigger stuff and im not sure how much work would require changing something that simple as this(sometimes easier things are the hardest to achieve ) but if you are willing to take this suggestion, that would be awesome !!!.
    Thanks again for your wonderfull work and wish you the best, see ya pal, and im excited to read your answer .

Patrician Artifex

First, I couldn't really use regimental colours based on origin, since it would means even more slots used in the atlases, unless I switch back to using masks. This is something I consider at some point, but since l'Aigle didn't want to do it as mask means lesser quality, it wasn't done.
    Now, since I know better how to do textures than before, maybe one day I'd rework some faction textures to have regimental colours based on the AOR, using more clever mask. But it won't be soon since I'd rather finish the missing factions (including minor German states), plus implement other ideas for the campaign first.

So I used different colours for different type of units. White is used by 1808 fusilier. Yellow by musketeer, red by grenadier and guard, pink by liebinfanterie, orange by garrison

Regarding the colours, I don't have the same as you (see Osprey)
    East Prussia : dull Orange
    Pomerania : white
    West Prussia: Carmine
    Brandenburg &Life regiment: popy red
    Silesia : yellow

In 1808, some regiments had pink (18th, 26th), so I used this colour to have a little more diversity.

Civis

yeah , i know that, thats why i said there is a looong journey ahead...
    LOL, if you notice regarding branderburg and ostpreussen...that the colors i name,is different from the letters color ITSELF XD (i inverted them so both have the name of the opposite color...i need to go back to kindergarden xD), and yes about the pink regiments you are right, the 18th,19th,28th and 29th regs were pinks, but thats my point, in late 1815.

About mask, im not sure what exactly you are talking about (sorry im a complete noob about moding :c), but it sound a clever idea, i mean, it would be amazing to have every region have their proper colors, but that could take months..even YEARS!, and im curious about how this could affect the ATLAS files, btw, another ramdon question..does this mod use any kind of modifications for flags?, or they are all vainillas?.

Patrician Artifex

No, the 18th and 26th for example were Pink as soon as 1806 (from Osprey table).

Mask: when making a texture, you can either paint directly the exact colours, or leave some parts of the texture "white", and then use a colour mask, were you have some parts in red/blue/green. And in the uniform_faction_colour table, you can define what actual color should be used to replace the red/blue/green of the mask.
    The red usually correspond to the main colour, blue to the pants, green to regimental facing (and black means: not mask).
    So, the engine looks at the mask for the "green parts" (regimental colours), then at the uniform_faction_colour, find the column for regimental colours is pink (for example), and then dynamically colour the white from the texture with a pink tint, everywhere with "green parts".

It allows more variation with the same texture, but the colours are not so sharp and nice as when they are painted directly.

To use this, I'd need to replace some parts of the texture with white, and instead of a full black mask texture, copy inside the shape of the white part, and colour them green. I don't think it is very difficult, but it could have some side effects (like making the pseudo 3D based on shadow).

I 'm using some custom flags.

Civis

oh i think i get it, but if is not too much to ask, if you have a picture saved somewhere so i can see side to side comparison could be awesome, and also you could make a poll about this,

"hey guys i can make units have regimental colors, but the results may vary and dont look so well as directly painted units,which option do you preffer? option A (picture A) or option B(BPIC), also the following bugs may appear (insert bugs related to the use of mask)"

of course im talking in the long run because for now there are other things in the oven (holland and ottomans for example). But maybe, some day you'll have the time to recheck everything xD...untill then, a man can just dream xD.

Patrician Artifex

One of the difficulty also is finding the right RGB colours. With a normal texture, you see the colours directly. With a mask, the end results is not always what you were aiming for... So it's a longer processs since you may have to work with trial and error to adjust the colours.

Patrician Artifex

Many thanks to Trig. He made a new casquet for the Prussian Grenadiers. And it's a lot better than the one I made from the British Belgic shako, it was ugly, especially from the side/back

From the front

From the side

Guard

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456