Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Global warming is not that bad

Blau&Gruen's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: Global warming is not that bad

... double post ...
    Last edited by Blau&Gruen; January 10, 2013 at 05:19 AM.
    Patronized by Ozymandias
    Je bâtis ma demeure
    Le livre des questions
    Un étranger avec sous le bras un livre de petit format

golemzombiroboticvacuumcleanerstrawberrycream

Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Vizsla's Avatar Senator
    That place where the sun don't shine (England)

Condottiere 40K the Caped Climate Crusader

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “Cretans, always liars” Epimenides (of Crete)

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

"I'm a Doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuche!"

His mullet isn't even cool. Other than jerking it to the Russian girl that show was terrible. I can't believe I watched that as a kid. Re-reruns I assume, since I was like 4 when the show ended.

I bet that's subconsciously why I hate environmentalism. And diversity for that matter. And paganism. And communists. And bad writing. And in a broader sense the early 1990s. But mostly just Ted Turner.

Yes he deserves to die and I hope he burns in hell.
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; January 11, 2013 at 10:43 AM.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post

His mullet isn't even cool. Other than jerking it to the Russian girl that show was terrible. I can't believe I watched that as a kid. Re-reruns I assume, since I was like 4 when the show ended.

I bet that's subconsciously why I hate environmentalism. And diversity for that matter. And paganism. And communists. And bad writing. And in a broader sense the early 1990s. But mostly just Ted Turner.

Yes he deserves to die and I hope he burns in hell.
    Is this to say you hate the environment?
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

DDWingate's Avatar Civis

Douches are people who get pwned at duels, at least Captain Planet had the common sense not to with Thomas Jefferson's administration. I think it's obvious by this point that Tarlton is an elaborate troll. You can't spell Tarlton, after all, without 't,r,o,l'. People should reserve their argumentative energy on him when he's got something to debate that is realistic, not when he's saying things for effect.

On the subject of what's natural or not, one must define what is 'natural'. I think natural is the term we generally give as a representative of the pre-human cycle of life, or atleast, the pre-civilization cycle.

I find Civilization to be a very strange word, and I'd say it's difficult to define in a way that doesn't make it sound crazy. You could suggest that it's opposed to barbarity, but that is really just a single interpretation. I wouldn't consider the bushmen of Africa to be barbaric, at least, not in ways that civilized people are.

Merriam Webster says natural means
    'being in
    accordance with or determined by nature'

Anyone who argues that anything a human does is natural, is using manipulative words. A human's actions itself be 'natural', but it's not the actions that are the problem - it's the consequences.

And we all know that the consequences of human action can have unnatural results, or better put, results that affect nature. Irresponsibility is the biggest screw up in humankind throughout history and will surely continue to be, becoming most evident in the centuries to come. And if anyone disagrees, they're a bigger douche than Captain Planet and Alexander Hamilton combined.
    Last edited by DDWingate; January 12, 2013 at 04:38 AM.

agunter999's Avatar Senator

There is a fantastic video on YouTube proving the fakeness of global warming

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by The spartan View Post
    Is this to say you hate the environment?
    No I said environmentalism. How can I be mad at an abstract concept like the environment. I can hate on an ideology though.

Quote Originally Posted by DDWingate View Post
    Douches are people who get pwned at duels, at least Captain Planet had the common sense not to with Thomas Jefferson's administration. I think it's obvious by this point that Tarlton is an elaborate troll. You can't spell Tarlton, after all, without 't,r,o,l'. People should reserve their argumentative energy on him when he's got something to debate that is realistic, not when he's saying things for effect.
    Hamilton couldn't actually bring himself to shoot Burr, he felt it would be murder, but he didn't want to lose face and back out of it. He was a man of honor and he died like it.

On the subject of what's natural or not, one must define what is 'natural'. I think natural is the term we generally give as a representative of the pre-human cycle of life, or atleast, the pre-civilization cycle.

I find Civilization to be a very strange word, and I'd say it's difficult to define in a way that doesn't make it sound crazy. You could suggest that it's opposed to barbarity, but that is really just a single interpretation. I wouldn't consider the bushmen of Africa to be barbaric, at least, not in ways that civilized people are.
    Civilization is simply the idea of living in organized, cities. Citizens who live in Cities. That's civilized. The social organization of the state and the role of people as individuals living out their lives within that state as a place and an idea, as opposed to the loyalty to an individual or a cause.

Hunter gatherers like the traditional San aren't really civilized. Barbarian on the other hand means foreign, it's a xenophobic pejorative epithet to something alien and undesirable, crude and vulgar. The Norse were barbarians because they came from over the sea and they came for plunder and they spoke in foreign tongues. In their cities the Greeks were the model of civilized, but there's nothing civilized about Greek raiders or pirates and if you aren't Greek they qualify as full barbarians. Which was the Roman view of the Greeks. They may be the princes of slaves, but they were not good honest Romans.

A Somali in Mogadishu is perfectly civilized, but Arabian sea pirates are barbarous corsairs.

Merriam Webster says natural means
    'being in
    accordance with or determined by nature'

Anyone who argues that anything a human does is natural, is using manipulative words. A human's actions itself be 'natural', but it's not the actions that are the problem - it's the consequences.
    The consequences are still natural. Let's not be silly. Nature isn't stable or good or moral. It just is. If humanity wiped out life on earth that would have been a natural progression. Plenty of scientists think that it's almost inevitable that life evolves to the point it destroys itself or less likely expands beyond the limits of the solar system and preserves life.

And we all know that the consequences of human action can have unnatural results, or better put, results that affect nature. Irresponsibility is the biggest screw up in humankind throughout history and will surely continue to be, becoming most evident in the centuries to come. And if anyone disagrees, they're a bigger douche than Captain Planet and Alexander Hamilton combined.
    I'm guessing we're going to have some sort of Auto Didactic Machine Intelligence (A.I. sounds stupid, I'm labeling it A.D.M.I.) by the end of the century. That should either kill us all or save us from all this nonsense.

The day we make a machine that can make machines that can make machines is the day we get to sit back and spend our days hanging out.

The trick is figuring out what nice looks like mathematically so it doesn't go Skynet and eat us.
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; January 12, 2013 at 07:32 AM.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

No I said environmentalism. How can I be mad at an abstract concept like the environment. I can hate on an ideology though.
    You know "environmentalism" is a very broad term, right? Do you hate pandas? Support pollution? Something of the like? I need specifics here.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Do you hate pandas?
    To be fair its not unjustified.

I would be very happy here in middle europe if it would be a few grades warmer.

But human made global warming is a scam, eath cools down in reality, so there is little chance for.

DDWingate's Avatar Civis

The consequences are still natural. Let's not be silly. Nature isn't stable or good or moral. It just is. If humanity wiped out life on earth that would have been a natural progression. Plenty of scientists think that it's almost inevitable that life evolves to the point it destroys itself or less likely expands beyond the limits of the solar system and preserves life.

I'm guessing we're going to have some sort of Auto Didactic Machine Intelligence (A.I. sounds stupid, I'm labeling it A.D.M.I.) by the end of the century. That should either kill us all or save us from all this nonsense.

The day we make a machine that can make machines that can make machines is the day we get to sit back and spend our days hanging out.

The trick is figuring out what nice looks like mathematically so it doesn't go Skynet and eat us.
    This goes back to my point of responsibility. Firstly, there won't be any robot rulers. If there is an A.I, we'll make some melodramatic dignified fight for our freedom because 'we choose to' like in the Matrix and secondly, I think the terms we give to those less civilized is based off our own perception of what's orderly and organized. What right do we have to say what is and not? I believe a lot of the savages in Africa live more organized lives than many of us do. Wake up, hunt, gather, cook, sleep. That's more organized than some of us. While the civilized Romans were sleeping with their sisters and killing half of their own family for personal power, primitive tribals were building strict, life or death family traditions. If nature just 'is what it is', then why did we feel the need, for the past 2000 years, to sway other cultures away from their own natural way of living, if they 'are what they are'? I certainly don't think there's anything natural about that. You can argue that civilization is a natural occurance, but in action it presents something contradictory to nature

You mention that civilization is stability, and nature is instability. In that case, you've already identified one of the primary differences between them two. Civilization is organized, formulated stability, nature is evolved stability. Which one do you think is more likely to work and develop at a stable rate? It all goes back to evolution.

Again, there is not going to be any supreme AI that will rule over us humans, dictating our actions in an unbiased manner (based off an AI developed by biased humans). Philip K Dick was a fiction author. He didn't want any of his crazy schizophrenia and amphetamine fueled concepts to come true. Stop watching Sci-Fi movies, wake up and think of practical ways you can make the world the better place. We aren't going to repudiate our responsibility with the help of robots, and if they do, god have mercy on us all.
    Last edited by DDWingate; January 12, 2013 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raubritter View Post
    I would be very happy here in middle europe if it would be a few grades warmer.

But human made global warming is a scam, eath cools down in reality, so there is little chance for.
    Earth isn't cooling... 2012 set temperature records.

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Prepare to see your mind blown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQW0O2gtevo

Wont let me embed in TWC... so ya'll have to click the link.

A Somali in Mogadishu is perfectly civilized, but Arabian sea pirates are barbarous corsairs.
    I wouldn't be so sure about saying that Mogadishu is perfectly civilized.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678