Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Global warming is not that bad

Border Patrol's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Global warming is not that bad

Humans are part of nature, therefore everything we do is natural. If the ocean changes due to human action this is natural. Nihilism? Read again.
    Proud Nerdimus Maximus of the Trench Coat Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Border Patrol View Post
    Humans are part of nature, therefore everything we do is natural. If the ocean changes due to human action this is natural. Nihilism? Read again.
    It actually isn't considered natural. Actions by humans are considered natural if we are unaware of what impacts we are having and artificial if we are aware of what we are manipulating (at least that is how it was discussed in environmental science). Regardless of that, he is implying that natural means it doesn't matter or isn't bad for us or can't be avoided. All of that is stupid and nihilistic. Like, why even build dykes to stop something natural in that case...
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post
    The point is, nuclear power is extremely safe. There are 440 commercial reactors running around the clock. There are 250 government reactors and 180 military reactors.

I live near a nuclear plant.
    So congratulations to your courage. I wouldn't ever live closer to a nuclear plant than 5-12.5 mi / 8-20 km (depends on the size of the reactors; without counting some smallest scientific reactors).

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by NRohirrim View Post
    So congratulations to your courage. I wouldn't ever live closer to a nuclear plant than 5-12.5 mi / 8-20 km (depends on the size of the reactors; without counting some smallest scientific reactors).
    I'm like halfway between the site and the evacuation line. Worst case scenario it cooks off, I don't evacuate, and I go sterile. Oh no... I don't have to wear condoms now.

It's a silly thing to be afraid of.

Quote Originally Posted by The spartan View Post
    Ah, so you are a nihilist. Why are you on forums debating then? There isn't any point to try to convince anyone of anything, it is all natural, right? So please, by all means, just leave.
    I'm not nihilist. I'm a series of actions and reactions. If the human world is preserved good. If not, a shame. But whatever happens was bound to happen. I'm deterministic atheist/deist. It's a closed system. There's no miracles. Our splitting the atom or any other major human action was predicated on a long series of events we have no control of. In practice I'm going to try to do the smart thing, but I'm not omniscient or omnipotent. I'm not in control of human events.

I'm just going to sit around and watch "The League" and try to decide if I'm more like Ruxin or Pete. I'm feeling Pete, but I respect how evil Ruxin is.
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; January 04, 2013 at 05:39 AM.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

I'm not nihilist. I'm a series of actions and reactions. If the human world is preserved good. If not, a shame. But whatever happens was bound to happen. I'm deterministic atheist/deist. It's a closed system. There's no miracles. Our splitting the atom or any other major human action was predicated on a long series of events we have no control of. In practice I'm going to try to do the smart thing, but I'm not omniscient or omnipotent. I'm not in control of human events.

I'm just going to sit around and watch "The League" and try to decide if I'm more like Ruxin or Pete. I'm feeling Pete, but I respect how evil Ruxin is.
    But you have been implying that nothing should be done about it, as if there is no point. I don't really care that you choose to be passive on the matter and "observe", but you have been actively arguing against the evidence and now claim that your justification is that it is all natural/inevitable. It is like you are on the deck of a sinking ship, blocking the way to the life boats and saying "don't worry everybody, it is all inevitable."
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Border Patrol's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quite the alarmist comparison
    Proud Nerdimus Maximus of the Trench Coat Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Border Patrol View Post
    Quite the alarmist comparison
    Fair comparison, imo. If you don't care, fine, don't care, but don't get in the way of people who do care and want to do something about it.

Then do something. My contributions are of no significance. Pull your oar. Im pulling my oar.

Then do something. My contributions are of no significance. Pull your oar. Im pulling my oar.
    You are arguing against the position.

You are arguing against the position.
    I'm arguing that individual people can't hold the status quo if it's going in a certain direction.

I'm arguing that individual people can't hold the status quo if it's going in a certain direction.
    It sounded like you were saying people's behaviors can't be changed...

Dr Zoidberg's Avatar A Medical Corporation

I'll just leave this here.

Australia's "dome of heat" has become so intense that the temperatures are rising off the charts – literally.
    Young lady, I am an expert on humans. Now pick a mouth, open it and say "brglgrglgrrr"!

It sounded like you were saying people's behaviors can't be changed...
    I don't know if they can. I want to ideally end electric coal use with nuclear. Coal generally has some undeniably bad emissions. However I think we need more time to look at carbon. When we get onto a 95% nuclear 5% "green" electric economy then we will be in a position to implement battery cars which aren't adding to the emissions problem. Right now as far as I know, an electric car on a coal grid is more of a pollutant than a gas guzzler. I'm not sure selling scores of new reactors is going to work near term.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Zoidberg View Post
    I'll just leave this here.
    This is interesting, but not earth shattering. Don't bring weather events into a climate thread.

Blau&Gruen's Avatar Civitate

I am skeptical that 95% nuclear can be reached. Who can reach it? The infrastructure around the disposal would have to be extensive, not to forget that the costs of insurances are a factor that goes into the price. As it looks the ideal environment, consumer and industry friendly solution seems long time coming, unfortunately.
    Last edited by Blau&Gruen; January 08, 2013 at 03:58 AM.
    Patronized by Ozymandias
    Je bâtis ma demeure
    Le livre des questions
    Un étranger avec sous le bras un livre de petit format

golemzombiroboticvacuumcleanerstrawberrycream

Quote Originally Posted by Blau&Gruen View Post
    I am skeptical that 95% nuclear can be reached. Who can reach it? The infrastructure around the disposal would have to be extensive, not to forget that the costs of insurances are a factor that goes into the price. As it looks the ideal environment, consumer and industry friendly solution seems long time coming, unfortunately.
    I was kind of exaggerating.

Revise what I said: 75% Nuclear. 15% Hydroelectric. 10% Geothermal. That's France.

The point is that basic housing power needs to come from clean and sustainable practices. Purely because it's more World of Tomorrow.

America needs to make the present more like the future we imagined in the past.
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; January 08, 2013 at 04:21 AM.

I don't know if they can. I want to ideally end electric coal use with nuclear. Coal generally has some undeniably bad emissions. However I think we need more time to look at carbon. When we get onto a 95% nuclear 5% "green" electric economy then we will be in a position to implement battery cars which aren't adding to the emissions problem. Right now as far as I know, an electric car on a coal grid is more of a pollutant than a gas guzzler. I'm not sure selling scores of new reactors is going to work near term.
    Lol, behaviors certainly can be changed/manipulated, especially through economic policy. Welcome to behavioral economics, it is all the rage nowadays.

Lol, behaviors certainly can be changed/manipulated, especially through economic policy. Welcome to behavioral economics, it is all the rage nowadays.
    They can be, but will they be?

Right now in the US we've got one camp with their head in the clouds talking nonsense and one camp with their head in the ground refusing to listen.

That's not getting us anywhere. One party is trying to flood futurist "green" energy with money and the other party is convinced its' a scam and just wants to drill for more coal and oil.

You've got one camp looking at the 22nd century and one camp looking at the 20th century. We're in the 21st century.

This city is running on fission.
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; January 08, 2013 at 04:47 AM.

We could dispose of toxic waste on the Moon, or shoot it into the Sun.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Or bury it...

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Quote Originally Posted by NRohirrim View Post
    I mean: we must pay pretty big bills for getting houses (and workplaces) warm during winter. That's not all! It's also about farming - plantations would have longest time of vegetation.

I'm writing this down from Central Europe, but I think it could be good perception for all Europe, Canada, USA, and even on the Southern Hemisphere countries like Chile, Argentina.
    I live in Sweden if I can stay warm during the winter so can you guys...

They can be, but will they be?

Right now in the US we've got one camp with their head in the clouds talking nonsense and one camp with their head in the ground refusing to listen.

That's not getting us anywhere. One party is trying to flood futurist "green" energy with money and the other party is convinced its' a scam and just wants to drill for more coal and oil.

You've got one camp looking at the 22nd century and one camp looking at the 20th century. We're in the 21st century.

This city is running on fission.
    The side looking into green energy or more efficient fuel sources isnt stuck with their heads in the clouds. They are seeking futuristic energy sources because they dont exist yet or are not available for whatever reason, or they do exist. Plus everything is futuristic until you develop it. An Iphone 10 is futuristic until Apple releases one. You know it will come sooner or later.

Anyway, the left is seeking things like HSR and more mass-transit options in our cities. Electrifying our railways and more environmentally favourable buses. None of this is futuristic but it is certainly green.
    Last edited by MathiasOfAthens; January 08, 2013 at 06:36 AM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast