Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Global warming is not that bad

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Global warming is not that bad

If all the sea ice melts there will be no change in sea levels. However yes, if all the polar ice in Greenland and Antarctica melted it would cause significant flooding in low lying areas (coastal plains). However it should be noted that land ice is growing in the Antarctic faster than it's melting in Greenland, so I'm somewhat skeptical we will see oceans rise.

However it wouldn't flood because we'd build fairly simple age old dikes.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

I think, really, the greatest effects of global warming will be seen in developing countries, but it's not like things can get much worse there anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

Quote Originally Posted by Aanker View Post
    I think, really, the greatest effects of global warming will be seen in developing countries
    If that so, let'em pay in the first place climate taxes, instead of big carbon taxes in f.e: EU countries or some provinces of Canada etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post
    If all the sea ice melts there will be no change in sea levels. However yes, if all the polar ice in Greenland and Antarctica melted it would cause significant flooding in low lying areas (coastal plains). However it should be noted that land ice is growing in the Antarctic faster than it's melting in Greenland, so I'm somewhat skeptical we will see oceans rise.

However it wouldn't flood because we'd build fairly simple age old dikes.
    It's not.
    Last edited by The spartan; December 31, 2012 at 05:00 AM.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Quote Originally Posted by The spartan View Post
    Such as...? Again, solar output is normal.

What do you mean "proof behind the cause"? As in, what is the cause? That is what I am talking about, knowing the mechanics of greenhouse gases, climate, and other factors that effect global temperature are all pretty simple stuff. Of all of the things that affect global temperature, it seems as if the human tampering of the carbon cycle is the only mechanic that is changing significantly. As to how long effects will take or what exactly those effects will be are beyond my knowledge for sure, but there is no harm in speculation as long as it is treated as speculation.

Is this meant to imply we should be more animalistic?
    All pretty simple stuff but to what to degree? That is not simple at all, the human effect is not simple and understanding the natural processes that release and absorb are not simple. Speculation treated as speculation is fine but its pretty useless from laymen (and often from scientists).

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane! View Post
    All pretty simple stuff but to what to degree? That is not simple at all, the human effect is not simple and understanding the natural processes that release and absorb are not simple. Speculation treated as speculation is fine but its pretty useless from laymen (and often from scientists).
    Specific effects, yes, are complex. Stuff like total output of greenhouse gases are very easy, as well as how much is absorbed and released by nature. Humans are the biggest net contributor of CO2 (especially from fossil fuels, which is what matters in the case of the carbon cycle).

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Speculation vs speculation on anything other than opinions is just normal argument and should obviously be taken with a grain of salt. That being said, nothing I have put forth so far has been speculation.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

The meat is in those specifics which was my point and those specifics which are most contentious

The meat is in those specifics which was my point and those specifics which are most contentious
    Most of the laymen debates are about whether "man made global warming is real". With all of the obvious facts we know, few informed people say that there is no global warming are that men are not responsible for it.

Proof.

I am fairly well educated in environmental sciences, but I am no expert. I, however, have not been presenting arguments I have come up with. I reference what other, more qualified people had already said. I am, personally, very concerned about your nihilistic approach to GCC discussions.

the main problem, as my ecology professor told me, is not the one with the melting of ice and ocean levels.
    it's with the disruption of eco systems, which, at the moment we don't have great responses too (they may be developped, but they still have to be develloped)
    Quote Originally Posted by wyrda78 View Post
    Well maybe if there was a thread instructing people on how to mod there would be more modders.

Most of the laymen debates are about whether "man made global warming is real". With all of the obvious facts we know, few informed people say that there is no global warming are that men are not responsible for it.

Proof.

I am fairly well educated in environmental sciences, but I am no expert. I, however, have not been presenting arguments I have come up with. I reference what other, more qualified people had already said. I am, personally, very concerned about your nihilistic approach to GCC discussions.
    Why? I am not well versed in the science of specific gene based cancer treatments and therefore wouldn't get into a debate on the validity of the science as I am not qualified, I am quite prepared to take the scientists kidding on it. Is that also nihilistic?

Why? I am not well versed in the science of specific gene based cancer treatments and therefore wouldn't get into a debate on the validity of the science as I am not qualified, I am quite prepared to take the scientists kidding on it. Is that also nihilistic?
    so you say it doesn't matter that he brings forth his sources, since you don't understand them?

I'm not saying that spartan is the almight god who we should all hear in awe as he spreads his wisdom on the matter over this thread. But he stated he has a good background knowledge, he can provide sources, so his arguments may stand, and as we don't know better than him, we can't blame him for that
    Well maybe if there was a thread instructing people on how to mod there would be more modders.

If we're lucky we'll end all life on earth.

Dear Rogue Asteroid:

Kill Denied.

Love, The Puny Earthlings

XOXO

When the ocean is noticeably higher I'll have noticed. I drive on a road through a marsh all the time.
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; January 02, 2013 at 03:51 AM.

If we're lucky we'll end all life on earth.

Dear Rogue Asteroid:

Kill Denied.

Love, The Puny Earthlings

XOXO
    we can't kill all bacterial life, nor can an asteroïd. I can barely see any use of this post.

For all those that like to see themselves as the stoïc intellectuals who cannot be dazed: I'm not buying it
    the world that is tomorrow does concern all of us, including yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Ritterbruder44 View Post
    we can't kill all bacterial life, nor can an asteroïd. I can barely see any use of this post.

For all those that like to see themselves as the stoïc intellectuals who cannot be dazed: I'm not buying it
    the world that is tomorrow does concern all of us, including yourself
    I'll live as long as I live. If I die today or in the next century or the next there is no way for me to know. When I'm dead this world is not my concern.

I doubt I'll be the generation that ruins the planet or mankind. My individual contributions to world problems are insignificant. Thus it's not my fault if things go bad.
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; January 02, 2013 at 07:31 AM.

I doubt I'll be the generation that ruins the planet or mankind. My individual contributions to world problems are insignificant. Thus it's not my fault if things go bad.
    and that's where the phrase: "if everybody thinks that way..." kicks in

I'll live as long as I live. If I die today or in the next century or the next there is no way for me to know. When I'm dead this world is not my concern.

I wonder: do you vote republican?

Quote Originally Posted by Ritterbruder44 View Post
    and that's where the phrase: "if everybody thinks that way..." kicks in
    Everyone does think that way. That's why we may or may not be screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikitn View Post
    I wonder: do you vote republican?
    Historically. I don't commit entirely to the current party because they aren't what I consider to be Republican enough. I'm in my opinion a fairly radical liberal who leans toward conservative preferences personally. I've voted for reasonable Democrats too and will continue to.
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; January 02, 2013 at 04:37 PM.

When the ocean is noticeably higher I'll have noticed. I drive on a road through a marsh all the time.
    They are rising. Whether you notice it or not is irrelevant.

They are rising. Whether you notice it or not is irrelevant.
    About 1mm per year over the last 170 years? Time to throw in the towel. We're all dead.

Last edited by Col. Tartleton; January 02, 2013 at 05:12 PM.

About 1mm per year over the last 170 years? Time to throw in the towel. We're all dead.

1.34 mm a year actually, and yeah, that is a lot (it has been increasing at an increasing rate recently). Thank you for your layman assessment of what the ocean level should be.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast