Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I Made an Extremely Scary Political Connotation While Playing Rome Total War

Default I Made an Extremely Scary Political Connotation While Playing Rome Total War

Some people here may be able to relate to this.

Anyway, playing Rome total war years ago, I found that my military expenditure was running me into debt. Then the political unrest happened and some of my provinces successfully rebelled.

I came back with vengeance, and retook the province, and exterminated everyone and took their possessions.

I literally made a "killing" (pun intended since I also fixed my debt problem and made a huge profit). This led me to simulate the same scenario in all my provinces! By the end of it, my provinces were much less populated, paying the highest taxes possible, and my treasure was immense.

I then saw this USSR propaganda video:

http://www.spike.com/video-clips/j2e...ist-barbarians

Skip to 14:15

I'm referring to the fat capitalist and the army general feeding a small black eagle (representing Nazi Germany's Military industrial complex) until it grows large and dangerous and reeks havoc.

This leads me to make a stomach churning observation.

World War 2 was a simulated and tightly controlled series of events designed to consolidate resources for the rich, boost the economy, and secure European and U.S hegemony in the world.

It makes sense.

Dr Zoidberg's Avatar A Medical Corporation

Default Re: I Made an Extremely Scary Political Connotation While Playing Rome Total War

That has got to be one of the stupidest things I've ever read on here. And this being TWC, that's saying something.
    Young lady, I am an expert on humans. Now pick a mouth, open it and say "brglgrglgrrr"!

Default Re: I Made an Extremely Scary Political Connotation While Playing Rome Total War

Denial: Refusal to accept external reality because it is too threatening; arguing against an anxiety-provoking stimulus by stating it doesn't exist; resolution of emotional conflict and reduction of anxiety by refusing to perceive or consciously acknowledge the more unpleasant aspects of external reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Zoidberg View Post
    That has got to be one of the stupidest things I've ever read on here. And this being TWC, that's saying something.
    Agreed

de·lu·sion·al

[dih-loo-zhuh-nl]

adjective

1. having false or unrealistic beliefs or opinions: Senators who think they will get agreement on a comprehensive tax bill are delusional.
    2. Psychiatry. maintaining fixed false beliefs even when confronted with facts, usually as a result of mental illness: He was so delusional and paranoid that he thought everybody was conspiring against him.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Have I Ever told you... The definition... of Insanity?

But no man, gotta disagree with your statement OP

and epic laugh at Markas' post
    Last edited by MrHenry; December 16, 2012 at 06:12 PM.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Despite OP sounds stupid, unfortunately it did happen in our past several times and may happen again in near future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

I remember my first Joint.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

The problem with him is, and it isn't totally stupid, is that he has confused symptoms with causes. There was an awful lot of money made to the right folk during both world wars. But they didn't manufacture it to make money.

Perhaps, but rely on war plunder to get rich is not a new idea in our history; Caesar's treasury was largely relied on his plunder during Gaulic War, and during Thirty Years War plundering was generally the way to pay soldiers.
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    Perhaps, but rely on war plunder to get rich is not a new idea in our history; Caesar's treasury was largely relied on his plunder during Gaulic War, and during Thirty Years War plundering was generally the way to pay soldiers.
    State vs Private interests.

Plunder vs profiteering.

HH87 you seem rather confused.

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    and during Thirty Years War plundering was generally the way to pay soldiers.
    Plundering was the only form of pay for most soldiers until the early modern era.

World War 2 was a simulated and tightly controlled series of events designed to consolidate resources for the rich, boost the economy, and secure European and U.S hegemony in the world.

It makes sense.
    If it worked so well it was probably organized by Jews.

Quote Originally Posted by Sphere View Post
    If it worked so well it was probably organized by Jews.
    Like any good spammer whether it is emails or world wars they used a proxy.

Like any good spammer whether it is emails or world wars they used a proxy.
    They also have plausible deniability.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane! View Post
    State vs Private interests.

Plunder vs profiteering.

HH87 you seem rather confused.
    I bet it was Soviet's interest to plunder Manchuria and scrapped every industrial part then after WWII.

Boost the economy... By killing millions of people and utterly destroying the industrial base of Europe. Right.

Nietzsche's Avatar Too Human

Quote Originally Posted by Enemy of the State View Post
    Boost the economy... By killing millions of people and utterly destroying the industrial base of Europe. Right.
    You mean I boost the economy by breaking a bunch of windows?

I will say that the OP would make for some interesting fiction. Stories about Top Men engineering such slaughter to bath in gold would probably sell rather well to the OWS demographic. If it was written well, it would be as good as anything by Turtledove or his ilk.
    To be governed is to be watched, inspected, directed, numbered, regulated, enrolled, indoctrinated, controlled, checked, estimated, valued, censured, and commanded, by creatures who have neither the right, wisdom, nor virtue to do so. To be governed is to be at every operation, at every transaction noted, registered, taxed, measured, numbered, assessed, licensed, admonished, reformed, corrected, and punished. It is, under pretext of public utility, and in the name of the general interest, to be placed under contribution, drilled, fleeced, exploited, monopolized, extorted, and robbed; then, at the slightest resistance, to be repressed, fined, vilified, harassed, abused, disarmed, choked, imprisoned, judged, condemned, shot, deported, sacrificed, sold, and betrayed; and to crown all, mocked, ridiculed, derided, outraged, and dishonored. -Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

Quote Originally Posted by Realpolitik View Post

It makes sense.

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

So hitler started a war... killed all the jews, or most of them and then died himself to consolidate the resources for American and British Jews?

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast