Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 32 of 32

Thread: Your top tip for a newbie

  1. #21
    lgoodin101's Avatar Yari-hei
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    129

    Default Re: Your top tip for a newbie

    Quote Originally Posted by Rather3 View Post
    If you've ever played Rtw or Mtw, you know light cav sucks. They can't hold themselves in melee (even though they got this weird thing making them able to charge and stay alive, instead of what in Rtw happens). Better wait and use heavy cav whenever you can.
    Cavalry is NOT important in Empire total war, cause every unit is missile.
    This means, they had to overpower missile units, so cav wouldn't be overpowered.
    And still, with heavy cav, also strike in the flank. 1 volley of muskets and half your unit is dead O.o.
    ok... cos in medieval 2 cav is really important. so I shouldn't be charging them (light cavalry) at a flank etc soo how do use them properly? or should i just disband them as they borderline useless

  2. #22
    CptAustus's Avatar Princeps
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,145

    Default Re: Your top tip for a newbie

    Charge cavalry, any kind, on flanks/rear when the shooting has already started, that should get you a chain rout easily.

  3. #23
    Makus's Avatar Kirā
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Posts
    264

    Default Re: Your top tip for a newbie

    Your enemies will be slow to capitalize on military technologies. Picking up bayonet upgrades and fire by rank and using them effectively will help you dominate the field. Don't overestimate artillery or underestimate cavalry. If you're a rome or medieval player, think of infantry and your main battle line (a lot like legionary cohorts) in that they have a ranged attack you should open up with followed by melee and your light infantry as skirmishers as they have excellent range but cave in melee fights. And from a cavalry perspective, treat anything with a bayonet like a spearman.
    All Men Fall, it is but Time and Method that Differ

  4. #24
    Rather3's Avatar Shashu
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Holland, south Holland
    Posts
    153

    Default Re: Your top tip for a newbie

    And yes, as Austus said, you CAN hit them in their flanks. Just make sure they keep OUT of their line of fire.
    Also, never charge with 1 unit. I always bring 6 units of heavy ''Household cav'', 2 on the left flank, 2 on the right flank, and 2 to deal with their General and cav.
    I bring 1 behind both ''Flanked'' units, and another 1 next to them like this:
    ____---_______________---____
    --- 00000 00000 00000 00000 ---

    With --- = my cav and 00000 = their infantry.
    Then, charge em in at the right moment. Mass rout .
    ''Shoot when you see their fear in the eyes!''
    Emanuel may, best Prussian general Rather's ever known, encouraging his Grenadiers;

    ''Be strong! Be aware! Be ready!''
    Rather3, a light soldier ready to engage native Americans;

  5. #25
    Sukauto
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    57

    Default Re: Your top tip for a newbie

    Cav can be extremely effective, they're just a damn pain to use.

    1 volley from enemy infantry and they're ready to flee, even the best cavalry won't last long in melee if they've been shot first.

    As rather mentioned, the british household cavalry is extremely effective, I myself prefer light dragoons though. With the mechanics of this game, cavalry that can shoot.. Light dragoons, Caribiners, Native cavalry,
    are the best cavalry in the game, simply because they beat any other cavalry, giving you cavalry dominance in the game just by taking them.

    You've gotta hit them with nicely timed charges, as somebody already mentioned once the shooting has begun, and preferably a few volleys have been fired from each side.

    Another great use for them is destroying the AI's cannons, which they never protect if they're attacking.

    Also chasing routing units will make your victories more complete, you'll destroy units entirely rather than leaving them at half strength.

    hope this helps, as a Poland/Sweden player myself, cavalry is my bread and butter, there role is nothing like that of previous titles as rather3 already pointed out, his comparison to them in light cav in every other title is spot on, use them for the same things you would have used light cav in rome/medieval.

    Still don't take more than 4 in a full stack (imho) line inf are better in most situations. The most I ever take is 6, and its always a pain to micro, and that's only with European nations that get light dragoons.
    Last edited by apz245; December 28, 2012 at 04:53 PM.

  6. #26
    lgoodin101's Avatar Yari-hei
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    129

    Default Re: Your top tip for a newbie

    Quote Originally Posted by Makus View Post
    Your enemies will be slow to capitalize on military technologies. Picking up bayonet upgrades and fire by rank and using them effectively will help you dominate the field.
    what are the requirements for rank fire?? I've checked but its pretty unclear what you need.

    thanks this thing was really bugging me

  7. #27
    Rather3's Avatar Shashu
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Holland, south Holland
    Posts
    153

    Default Re: Your top tip for a newbie

    Eehm, I'm not completely sure but, I believe the 3rd level of barracks and then you're supposed to research it.
    Correct me if I'm wrong.
    ''Shoot when you see their fear in the eyes!''
    Emanuel may, best Prussian general Rather's ever known, encouraging his Grenadiers;

    ''Be strong! Be aware! Be ready!''
    Rather3, a light soldier ready to engage native Americans;

  8. #28
    Merchant of Venice's Avatar Certified Merchant
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    618

    Default Re: Your top tip for a newbie

    This usually only applies to the late game but the technologies in the philosophical tree give a negative boost to public income. You will start getting a "clamour for reform" in all your towns, especially the ones with schools and universities in it. With that said, it is good to have many schools and universities as possible to increase your research rate.

    On another note, I have found taking cities that use to belong to a major faction ( ie Paris-France, Istanbul- Ottoman Empire) are harder to quell rebellions. Even with a full stack army in Paris and everything repaired, i was still getting -10 public order for both classes.

    My AAR-Way of the Bow:A Chosokabe AAR-LastUpdated 2/1
    Attention all writers, the
    MAARC and MCWC needs your entries! Fancy a small challenge? Try the TOTW!
    Need to catch up on everything creative writing! The
    Critic's Quill has all your writing needs.

  9. #29
    xcorps's Avatar Auxiliarius
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Missouri, US
    Posts
    6,875

    Default Re: Your top tip for a newbie

    You don't have to have an army of occupation to defeat your foe. The major factions will always have multiple rebellions after you capture a capital. You can actually use this to your advantage.

    For example, to cripple France with Britain..

    Park a spy near Paris and keep an eye on the forces there. Have a force of Line Infantry/Militia large enough to defeat the civilian defenders within one turns move. You can store this force in a brig or sloop and keep it in harbor. When France sends the largest part of it's Paris Army off to war at it's borders, sail your ship from it's safe harbor to the enemy harbor just north of Paris. Unload the troops, take Paris. Destroy all the buildings in Paris, destroy all the towns. Raise all taxes to max your British citizens will tolerate, as it will kill growth in France and cause mass emigration(even one turns worth of that much emigration is difficult to recoup). Keep your army in Paris for the 1 turn it takes to burn it all down, then leave. Now France has no income and a large army to maintain. Move your troops back aboard the ships and back to Britain. France is done for a very very long time, and you don't have to deal with the multiple rebellions that your occupation will automatically generate. Even with the extra income the AI gets, it takes years to rebuild to the point he was at when you invaded, while you are enjoying growth and increasing your techs. Especially effective if he has lots of ships (AI will tend to overbuild frigates and SOL's). Your raid army gets a lot of xp, just be careful not do it with a very low balance because town watch rates skyrocket. Alternatively you can break up your army and let the militia roam around in small groups to pillage and burn. France will focus on sending it's army back to Paris which usually takes a couple of turns giving you time to really rake up the French economy. Send the Line Infantry back to Britain.

    I have success with this usually with 4 line, 2 cannon, 4 militia. Not very expensive relative to the damage they cause.
    Last edited by xcorps; January 08, 2013 at 09:58 PM.
    "Every idea is an incitement. It offers itself for belief and if believed it is acted on unless some other belief outweighs it or some failure of energy stifles the movement at its birth. The only difference between the expression of an opinion and an incitement in the narrower sense is the speaker's enthusiasm for the result. Eloquence may set fire to reason." -Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

  10. #30
    CptAustus's Avatar Princeps
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,145

    Default Re: Your top tip for a newbie

    Quote Originally Posted by xcorps View Post
    You don't have to have an army of occupation to defeat your foe. The major factions will always have multiple rebellions after you capture a capital. You can actually use this to your advantage.

    For example, to cripple France with Britain..

    Park a spy near Paris and keep an eye on the forces there. Have a force of Line Infantry/Militia large enough to defeat the civilian defenders within one turns move. You can store this force in a brig or sloop and keep it in harbor. When France sends the largest part of it's Paris Army off to war at it's borders, sail your ship from it's safe harbor to the enemy harbor just north of Paris. Unload the troops, take Paris. Destroy all the buildings in Paris, destroy all the towns. Raise all taxes to max your British citizens will tolerate, as it will kill growth in France and cause mass emigration(even one turns worth of that much emigration is difficult to recoup). Keep your army in Paris for the 1 turn it takes to burn it all down, then leave. Now France has no income and a large army to maintain. Move your troops back aboard the ships and back to Britain. France is done for a very very long time, and you don't have to deal with the multiple rebellions that your occupation will automatically generate. Even with the extra income the AI gets, it takes years to rebuild to the point he was at when you invaded, while you are enjoying growth and increasing your techs. Especially effective if he has lots of ships (AI will tend to overbuild frigates and SOL's). Your raid army gets a lot of xp, just be careful not do it with a very low balance because town watch rates skyrocket. Alternatively you can break up your army and let the militia roam around in small groups to pillage and burn. France will focus on sending it's army back to Paris which usually takes a couple of turns giving you time to really rake up the French economy. Send the Line Infantry back to Britain.

    I have success with this usually with 4 line, 2 cannon, 4 militia. Not very expensive relative to the damage they cause.
    If you do this on turn 1 or 2 and hold onto Paris until a rebellion happens, you can bankrupt France up to 1740s

  11. #31
    mightyfenrir's Avatar Senshi
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,604

    Default Re: Your top tip for a newbie

    I always set up research to go straight through plug bayonets and to socketed then fire by rank as fast as I can after that. In the early stages of war having bayonets and fire by rank alone will decimate any other force in the game. Then I get up to howitzers and horse artillery. I like to pummel my enemy before they're in musket range; it's a personal preference. As others said, work on your navy with Britain. Two or three big fleets taking prizes and blockading or raiding your enemy's trade lanes will allow them to pay for themselves to a point; a good naval admin helps that out a lot as well. Britain, finally, is a nation that survives on its trade whether that means constructing Indiamen and taking trade spots in Brazil etc. or protecting its own sea lanes for trade between nations. The computer, with continent based groups, does not tend to raid trade on the roads, but piracy is a huge problem for a nation like Britain (or the UP) and needs to be controlled. I'm playing as Sweden right now, for instance, and just about all of my trade lanes go over land so I have very little issues with the disruption of trade. In controlling the sea lanes, I also put a really cheap unit, like an irregular unit or a militia that has been beaten up, in my ports so the enemy can only blockade my port if they sneak up on me, rather than capturing and damaging the port; something to keep in mind.


    Join me at dinooftheweek.blogspot.com



  12. #32
    mightyfenrir's Avatar Senshi
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,604

    Default Re: Your top tip for a newbie

    Quote Originally Posted by CptAustus View Post
    If you do this on turn 1 or 2 and hold onto Paris until a rebellion happens, you can bankrupt France up to 1740s
    Actually, in the game I'm in now, for some ridiculous reason France declared war on me, as Sweden, and I ferried troops to Brest (I had to take Ireland earlier to put Britain in its place and thus had a well campaigned army in Dublin), walked over to Paris and took it after they tried to break out of the siege, and Alsace-Lorraine finished off France for me by rebelling after the "country" went bankrupt and the Alsatians took out the last European holding of France.


    Join me at dinooftheweek.blogspot.com



Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •