Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your top tip for a newbie

Default Your top tip for a newbie

Hello ETW players. I have just installed the game and started playing and I have to say I am struck by the difference in the political system, the map (what happened to fog of war?) and the addition of several new things (gentlemen? Ministers?). Battles are fine and I am sure I will soon get used to navel warfare but on the grand scale I will admit to being a little overwhelmed what with my starting empire (Britain) starting off with such wide spread dominions. Now I don't want a walk through or anything but I will ask this, what is your top tip for success in Empire: total war, particularly for someone who has played Rome and Med 2 to distraction?

I hope a few experienced souls will pitch an answer or two my way.

Default Re: Your top tip for a newbie

Maintain the seas with the Brits, avoid blockaded ports and blocked/raided trade routes. Spread your lines so that they're in two ranks. Build farms in the beginning. I usually disband pikemen and demi cannons with the Brits straight off the bat. Choose wisely which technologies to learn in the beginning (i like the bayonets), put your gentlemen in schools/colleges so that the technology research time becomes lower. Raid enemy trade routes.

Get Rank Fire as soon as possible, it triples the firepower of your Line Infantry.

Sir Furlong's Avatar Ordinarius

Destroy the pirates as soon as possible if you plan doing any naval trading, and especially if you plan on having any operations in the Caribbean. Also, I imagine the rationale behind having all the map visible is that, by 1700, I'm sure Britain knows Russia exists...
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    C.S. Lewis

tefras14's Avatar Libertus

Invest in your economy buildings like farms and workshops. Also defend them since the AI likes to do raids and you loose the services of the building as long as its damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by tefras14 View Post
    Invest in your economy buildings like farms and workshops. Also defend them since the AI likes to do raids and you loose the services of the building as long as its damaged.
    this too. Very good tip. +rep mate

Averroes19's Avatar Miles

Do not be afraid of taking on larger armies. What is important to remember is that it is not the size of your army, but the positioning of your forces that will play a great aspect of whether you will win or lose a battle.

Picking the right spot to place your guns (batteries) matters. I always enjoy routing a large CAI army or two with a smaller force, but composed of more elite units. Tactics really matter.

Empiricism is a great thought to research. Also, Squares and ring bayonets are important. Canister shots is useful in vanilla.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Never fight a land war in Asia.

In battle, always let the enemy attack you. Never charge at them.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Rather3's Avatar Civis

Start custom battles to show off your Rome tactics, most of them work.
    Take note that most units in Empire are missile ones, so the Rome ''flank'' changes to shooting instead of charging.
    Always recruit line infantry since they'll be your best friend in game.
    ''Shoot when you see their fear in the eyes!''
    Emanuel may, best Prussian general Rather's ever known, encouraging his Grenadiers;

''Be strong! Be aware! Be ready!''
    Rather3, a light soldier ready to engage native Americans;

keep your naval technology top notch, (naval shore facilities first) this will ensure you can continue building the best ships of the line and remain the dominant naval power throughout the game.

Rome and Med didn't have trade nodes; Trade nodes are areas in trade theaters that you basically park your trade ships on (this will provide a steady flow of whatever goods that trade node supplies).

Seeing as you start with a large navy.. Britain naturally should take as many as possible; it'll provide you with a lot of money.

As others have said, protect your ports from being blockaded and your trade routes from being raided, etc.

Thanks for the tips guys, I think I am starting to get the hang of it.

Aymer de Valence's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I usually disband pikemen
    Except the pikemen in the 'Moose Factory' region. The Hurons ALWAYS attack you within a few turns as Britain, and those pikemen are actually the best unit you have to defend against them
    Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!

Also remember that in vanilla the A.I. almost never does naval invasions, but they might in certain mods.

As the British Empire, your first order of business should be to dominate the Caribbean. That is, take Cuba and Hispanola from Spain, and the French islands further south (can't recall their names). At the same time, you should be working to eliminate the Pirates.

From there, make sure to upgrade your farms/plantations/mills and ports as much as possible to maximise trade income (commerce will be the backbone of your empire).

After the Caribbean is subjugated, you might look to expand colonial possessions in India, or seek to claim more of North/Central America from Spain/Indigenous peoples.

Engie's Avatar Ordinarius

Demolish your church school on the British mainland and turn it into a normal school, helps a lot early game being able to churn out tech quickly.

Start with farms and roads.

Cannons my boy, cannons with a whiff of grapeshot.

lower tax rate => higher pop growth => higher region wealth => larger tax base => higher tax income. so, mid and long term, lower tax rate grants higher tax income.
    Men, bring our people Honour, Glory and the most of all Victory

any tips on cav?? I charged with a unit of provincial cav into a flank and the unit routed after 30 secs in melee

Rather3's Avatar Civis

If you've ever played Rtw or Mtw, you know light cav sucks. They can't hold themselves in melee (even though they got this weird thing making them able to charge and stay alive, instead of what in Rtw happens). Better wait and use heavy cav whenever you can.
    Cavalry is NOT important in Empire total war, cause every unit is missile.
    This means, they had to overpower missile units, so cav wouldn't be overpowered.
    And still, with heavy cav, also strike in the flank. 1 volley of muskets and half your unit is dead O.o.
    ''Shoot when you see their fear in the eyes!''
    Emanuel may, best Prussian general Rather's ever known, encouraging his Grenadiers;

''Be strong! Be aware! Be ready!''
    Rather3, a light soldier ready to engage native Americans;

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast