Thread: [Consumable Products] Rochefort 10

Treize's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default [Consumable Products] Rochefort 10

So to celebrate my survival of the Maya Apocalypse I open a beer.
    A rather famous and well regarded one at that.

This is the Rochefort 10, the most famous, strong and dark version of this trappist beer made by Wallonian monks in Belgium. Brewed at the abbey of St. Remy, this is the third smallest trappist brewery in Belgium.

A quadrupel at 11.3% alcohol.

Look:
    Dark, dark brown with lots of yeast at the bottom of the glass. I always tend to pour the yeast. Some prefer it with, some without. Your call really.
    The head has a bad retention but I just rinsed my Westvleteren glass and dried it with paper towels so that might be the reason.
    Yeast particles float on top with a rusty colour.

Smell:
    Big dark fruits, alcohol and some sort of rich butterscotch/caramelised sugar with butter sort of smell. Good stuff. A malt forward brew really, not such hops.

Taste:
    Oh boy, dark fruits bonanza. This one is right up my alley. Big on the malts as well, hard to describe really but it does not overpower the fruitiness. A hint of booze as well, it is ofcourse rather strong. The alcohol does not overpower this beer though as it does with, say, a Bush Amber.
    There is not much hoppiness to this just a slight leafiness blended in with some spice. Caramel as well. Quite a delicious and complex beer, this one.

Mouthfeel:
    Nice and smooth, (almost) full. Pleasant carbonation, quite alot of it actually but not overly carbonated.

Overall:

A great beer, it really is. I'd say this is even better than one of my personal favourites; the Gouden Carolus Classic. Beter than the Westvleteren 12? I don't dare to say, that one is very nice as well. That one has a bit of a sweet juicy melon flavour mixed in with the classic quadrupel flavours. This one not so much.

You know when I started out trying different beers I bought this and I did not like it at all. Now I love this stuff. Big bold beers can be quite intimidating for lagerboys so I don't know if I would recommend this as a beginner. A better Belgian Dark Ale/Trappist Ale for beginners might be the Westmalle Dubbel, or a lighter version of this beer (the 6 or 8). I'd recommend Gouden Carolus Classic as well.

As for all these beers, don't drink them too cold! I drink them unchilled, now during winter this is cold enough (ambient temperature is like 17.5 Celsius in my house).
    Miss me yet?

Default Re: [Consumable Products] Rochefort 10

Cheers!!

Miss me yet?

Hmmmm! That looks and sounds delicious. They were selling here in Florida just before 12/21 and sold out of it really fast, at a really high price.

Not to be confused with the Westvleteren 12, a much more rare and expensive beer of the same style.
    Miss me yet?

Sounds interesting. I came into a few bottles of Westvleteren 12 last year and it was heavenly. My other experiences with Trappist beer have been similarly good - will keep an eye out for this thing.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~