Thread: New utility -Sprite generator

Default New utility -Sprite generator

I stumbled across several mods missing sprites or having wrong ones to rectify this problem I wrote this little utility. I generated whole set of BBW 7.0 sprites with it , so I hope it is ready for use .If you find any bugs let me know.

Sprite Generator Helper Tool for Rome Total War ver. 1.2+ .

Requirements: .Net 2.0 (can be downloaded trough windows update if not already installed)

What it gives: Your own shiny new complete set of sprites referenced in descr_model_battle.txt with a few mouse clicks !

How to use:

• Copy preferences.txt.sg into your preferences.txt – this is necessary for RTW to actually generate non blank sprites
    • Launch program. Select directory where “descr_ model_battle.txt” and “export_descr_unit.txt” are located. Select units you wish script generated for .Click “write script”.
    • Click “write descr_models” to generate descr_ model_battle.txt.ag. Warning – if you did not click “select all” in previous step this file will only contain sections for selected units.
    • Copy sprite_script.txt (it will be in same directory as executable) into your rome directory. I also recommend deleting everything from data\sprites (assuming you generate for all units)
    • Start RTW with “ rometw.exe –sprite_script –show_err”
    • It will start generating sprites. This is lengthy process and complete set takes about 1-2 hours depending on your hardware . As a result you will have bunch of .tga and .spr in \data\sprites. However those need to be converted to .dds and renamed .
    • Click “Rename and Batch Convert. –Select \data\sprites\ subdirectory. It will launch nvdxt converter (about 5 minutes to convert whole set) , then prefix files with AG_ - necessary as newly generated sprites do not work if have same name as default ones, then makes .dds extension .tga.dds and after that deletes all *.tga.
    • Copy descr_ model_battle.txt.ag into descr_ model_battle.txt .

That’s it! – complete set of all sprites for all models. So no more performance loss due to non existing sprite or weird coloration changes due to use of non matching sprites. Whole set of compressed sprite files is around 140 mb.

Disclaimer: This program is free for use for anyone willing to do so. If this program fries your computer, destroys your sexual life , gets you fired , starts WW3 or does anything else, not described in this readme.txt, I have no liability for it whatsoever – use this program at your own risk.

Maced0n's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: New utility -Sprite generator

Great tool.. it will save a lot of time when making a sprites
    I make some sprites and when i run "Rename and Batch Convert'' the bat file rename all .spr ,byt instead to convert .tga files , they was deleted. - OR I do something wrong.....

Another thing it can't be select only one faction

Stuie's Avatar Laudir Agus Mir

Wow! Just wow! You've taken what for me was one of the most boring and painful parts of making a mod and made it easy. VERY nice!

Kaweh's Avatar Aerani

Erm... I love you? +rep.

K.K

SIBLESZ·CRANDAR·SIMETRICAL​·DARTH VADER·KAWEH·RAVEN DARKWING·KALOS
    · PROUD MEMBER OF ROMA SURRECTUM II ·

Quote Originally Posted by Maced0n
    Great tool.. it will save a lot of time when making a sprites
    I make some sprites and when i run "Rename and Batch Convert'' the bat file rename all .spr ,byt instead to convert .tga files , they was deleted. - OR I do something wrong.....

Another thing it can't be select only one faction
    It deletes source .tga files after conversion. Did you see nvdxt running?- it should have created .dds files (subsequently renamed to .tga.dds)

Not sure what you meant by only one faction. -Sprites are generated per model, and each model has their own faction set (e.g. for one model there can be many factions) .

@dark_madmax
    Ahh now i have found your hint about the tool
    thanks a lot, will try it

repman

BareBonesWars 8.1 for RTW 1.5
    Integration Mod which combines unique strategic challenges due to a 4 Season scripted campaign from 280 BC - 180 AD on several big/small maps and with an ruthless AI on the battlefield.
    Deus lo Vult DLV 6.2 for MTW II Kingdoms
    Norway+Ireland+Flanders+Kiev+Lithuania+Teutonic_Order+Armenia+Crusader+Georgia,1y2t script, army field costs, Ultimate AI 1.6, big map, military career, economic system, age simulation, heraldic system, new factions, garrison script, Crowns + Swords, Trait bugfixer, religion dependent recruiting, ancillary enhancements, darth battle mechanics

Dark_MadMax thanks for this tool - works great for me as far as generating sprites and tga.s

I ran the rename and batch convert, it re-named the sprites, deleted the tga's but didn't give me and tga.dds files! Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Or does anyone else have any idea how else I could do the batch conversion?????

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Yep, same here - it generates all those sprites after all that time and then promptly deletes them all in the batch deletion

Anyway around this? I could use another tool to do it I guess.

EDIT: The text file was generated wrongly too - it left out many lines altogether and did not insert the correct path.

EDIT2: Mak, use "DDS Convertor 2" to batch convert TGA to DDS - and "Lupus Rename" to batch change filenames

EDIT 3: This will be a great tool when it is polished up! Kudos to the creator!
    Last edited by MasterOfNone; December 02, 2006 at 06:31 PM.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone
    Yep, same here - it generates all those sprites after all that time and then promptly deletes them all in the batch deletion
    As it wasn't just me, worth repeating that one.... After waiting a few hours for computer to generate sprites make a copy of them before attempting batch conversion

In the end I tried every batch DDS convertor I could find on web on my computer - all of which crashed, so there is something funny with my system - gave up and sent files to friend who did conversion fine!

Did discover text file didn't work for me either so did it manually.

Lupas rename is wonderful:
    http://www.azheavymetal.com/~lupasrename/
    think I picked that up from one of your posts on .org
    - highly recommended.

This tool would be great too if it was fixed slightly...

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Yep, the tool is listed on the addition culture tutorial I believe. It is vital for culture filename change!

There's an old dds convertor around whcih would not work on my pc, there's also the latest one (which I did not try) and then the last version before the latest (I believe) which is at:

http://files.filefront.com/DDS+Conve.../fileinfo.html

This did work although you have to set it to dxt5 in options and not choose too many sprites in one go (try half the lost at a time). It tends to close down after you finish and so you need to start it up again to do the second half of the list.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

After following the instructions carfeully I still cant get any sprites, after about an hour and a half rome closes and the message DATABASE-TABLE error found: unrecognised record id horse required. The sprite folder stays empty. Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

This tool, if the rest of thread is anything to go by, didn't really work to well. The tried and trusted method isn't that hard though, I've use it often with few problems..

There's a tutorial for making sprites in the tutorials forum..

20ninescene's Avatar Artifex

Could someone reupload this tool please?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Maybe this tutorial of mine for M2TW can be adapted? It contains the necessary tools to convert the textures.