Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Citizenship Requirements: Is the bar set too high, or is it just par for the course?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Let's Get After It
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

Default Citizenship Requirements: Is the bar set too high, or is it just par for the course?

Has rumbled across the evening's sky, leaving both ponderances and elightenment
    in his wake.....

There have been discussions in chambers regarding the level of contribution currently required in order for a baseline member to pass their application review. In short:

Some say that over time the bar has been set too high .

So is the bar indeed set too high, and does it need to be lowered? Or...is it where it should be and is simply,
    "Par for the course." ?

Well as you can readily guess for me it's simply where it should be. Each sitting boards view is somewhat different and will change depending upon member composition, established judgemnt trends, and of course the prevailing winds.

The point has been put forth that in past times 50-100 posts and some well aimed chutzpah* would get you through the door. True dat, but I would counter that that is from the day when time forum was quite intimate in both size and membership. With the passage of time has come extreme growth, a myriad of investiture oppurtunites {modding. graphic arts, and so forth}, and new complexities that go with the changing times.

My tenure on the CdeC began when Aden{the Black Prince} relinquished his seat and moved on to embrace the vast horizons of off site life. So in awe I began my internship following the Brothers Grim** around like a stary eyed pup, screaming "Not just no but Hell no!" to every application I saw until it was proven to be worthy. I bring this up to underscore the point that at one time there were three automatic no votes on any application until the full body of the application was exposed and due justice and diligence then served.

For my part I say that times have changed and citizenship requirements right along with them.

This my friends is simply a par 5 hole with a dog-leg to the right, and two or three water traps on your way to the green.
    {Tis Texas golf slang for those who don't get it.}

* http://www.bing.com/Dictionary/searc...on&FORM=DTPDIA

** Squid & Hesus de bodemloze
    Last edited by Mega Tortas de Bodemloze; April 27, 2014 at 12:36 PM. Reason: had to change header
    A Lion serves in Winter, then perhaps a Unicorn for the Spring.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,
    then the weight of the evidence will still fall in your favor and carry the day

The Casual Tortoise: Mega's Guide to Fast Turtling

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Citizenship Requirements: Is the bar set too high, or is it just par for the course.

This will sound like an awful answer, but I honestly think it is the truth... the bar changes. Different counsellors have different expectations, the Citizenship bar has changed with the site, and should continue to do so. CdeC should judge on what they think, not a predefined "bar", and members should still apply when they think they are ready.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Default Re: Citizenship Requirements: Is the bar set too high, or is it just par for the course.

This site has changed indescribably since even I joined 3 and a half years ago, and I'm sure the older members would say even more so. I mean look at Content, and the great work done to make it such a good branch, and compare it to the less organised one of 2009. As a result, more is done on the site, and therefore more is slightly expected from members but in a different way from several years ago. Then it was about what they were in the Community, and focused on modding and debating, but now its much more about "so what has he done for us?"

The other question is: have applicants become less or more patient?
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Much less patient, I had a potential client who went through 3 patrons in as many weeks

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

It depends on the applicants.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Aikanαr's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

*Looks at the QP* What applicants?

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

CASTRO eatsHotPockets

Kick start the fundraiser/recruitment drive. I want a half decent expresso maker this go round...and that Jamican massage therapist that they sent round last week has got to go!!!
    Last edited by Mega Tortas de Bodemloze; December 19, 2012 at 05:21 PM. Reason: hotpokets are the bomb

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,

Cζterīs pāribus yes and no, immo et non.
    Last edited by Bethencourt; December 19, 2012 at 05:34 PM.

Let's hear it then. Why so?

Every votation is different. People passes the process or not by random causes many times. Not that they are not important but in some cases the causes or circumstances are evaluated positively or negatively, and in other cases are not evaluated. But the system is like it is, nothing, none is perfect. I think that is why there is a votation, or else things would be clear and then there would not need of it.
    Last edited by Bethencourt; December 19, 2012 at 05:44 PM.

Is there a notable failure in the way the CdeC judges applicants & applications?
    Is there something that we are doing that we should not, or perhaps something that we have missed, not doing at all?

If we were more active members, more brains would be dedicated to evaluate applications in a specialized way. I guess some before me have had proposed it too, but some kind of premilinar evaluation by citizens or members of the contribution of the applicant could help the CdC to make a decision. The CdC is not elected following a technical composition of its members so every kind of contribution can be evaluated. And members do not have time or a guide of the levels required in every field of contribution. But can the creation of this things be realistic and necessary?
    Last edited by Bethencourt; December 19, 2012 at 05:54 PM.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Citizenship Requirements: Is the bar set too high, or is it just par for the course?

I'd say yes. The bar is to high.
    simply because so many people do good for the site yet won't ever be able to get a badge.

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

Default Re: Citizenship Requirements: Is the bar set too high, or is it just par for the course?

First we must evaluate what we want citizenship to mean before determine how difficult we want to make the barriers of entry. Now my opinion on the matter is that citizenship should be regarded loosely, yes contributions should be valued but only as they show that the member has an interest with the site. We shouldn't expect extraordinary contributions for citizenship applications since that is why we have the large awards.

Section Editor ES
    • Librarian • Local Moderator • Citizen • CdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

Quote Originally Posted by Lord William View Post
    First we must evaluate what we want citizenship to mean before determine how difficult we want to make the barriers of entry. Now my opinion on the matter is that citizenship should be regarded loosely, yes contributions should be valued but only as they show that the member has an interest with the site. We shouldn't expect extraordinary contributions for citizenship applications since that is why we have the large awards.
    That could be a possibility, but it would change the system so you would have a group of old contributors and a new group of interested people. Some kind of patricians and plebians. And more important, how to evaluate the interest?
    Last edited by Bethencourt; December 19, 2012 at 06:41 PM.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Agreed

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

I'm not saying we eliminate the idea of contributions as it is the simplest way of measuring someone's involvement but what I am trying to say is that we shouldn't be looking for long lists of contributions. It is my opinion that a couple of well written articles should suffice for citizenship so long as they meet the behavioural requirements

Section Editor ES
    • Librarian • Local Moderator • Citizen • CdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

CdeC is NOT looking for "extraordinary contributions," as was claimed. If this were the case, I would never have become a citizen. I'm an empirical guy. I usually base my opinions on empirical evidence and refrain from commenting when it is unavailable. I was but an average candidate. I made a minor submod, helped people, wrote some stuff, and debated every so often in the Academy and Philosophy subforums. I was accepted unanimously. Moreover, I did all this within less than a year! Point is, it's not that hard to become a citizen, if one really wants to.

The other point is that the current bar incentivized me to work more than I would have if citizenship was more easily attainable. In other words, the current bar helps TWC in that it encourages members to contribute more. It did for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamat View Post
    The other point is that the current bar incentivized me to work more than I would have if citizenship was more easily attainable. In other words, the current bar helps TWC in that it encourages members to contribute more. It did for me.
    The budgie is correct!
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast