Thread: Turn 35 crash

Default Turn 35 crash

I've been away from the forum for quite some time, and am still playing NER version 0.76.

I've been playing this for well over a year now and have played at least two campaigns as Hanover with, as far as I can remember, no problems.

I always play in (Steam) Off Line mode, so my Napoleon game hasn't been updated by Steam for well over a year.

Just a few days ago I started a new campaign as Hanover, (still using NER 0.76), and every time I get to turn 35 the game crashes, locks up on the campaign map, with a faint humming sound in the back ground.

I've started this new campaign several times now, as Hanover, and a few different things have happened to other nations, and I've tried doing things a little differently, but every time I get to turn 35, and press the "turn" button, the game freezes on the campaign map.

I know it's quite a while since you released NER 0.76, but I have a vague recollection of some peoples games freezing after a certain number of turns.

I have always used, and am still using NapTotal Factions 3.4; Modified Deployment Zones mod; Brigadiers Total Music mod, Duffers High Spec Performance mod, and Weapons FX pack, never with any problems.

The only changes that I've made before starting this new campaign as Hanover are reducing the price of the generic In Line Infantry, and In Line Light Infantry, that Hanover uses. And also the latest NVidea graphics driver.

Can you possibly give me an idea of why the game has suddenly decided to crash on turn 35, every time?
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by rbbane; December 16, 2012 at 07:26 PM.
    Win10 64bit
    Intel Core i7 3770K/3.5 GHz.
    Asus P8Z77-V Pro
    Corsair PC1333 16 Gb
    Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5

"Now Maitland, now's your time!
    Stand up Guards!
    Make ready,
    Fire!"

Default Re: Turn 35 crash

ouch, NER0.76 is quite old, i would suggest to move to newest version available. Plus, there is update in the works which would be ready sometimes early January.. Anyway, from description of the issue it looks more like graphical issue, so I would recommend trying to run game selectively, disabling one submod at the time trying to find which file is causing it.

Thanks JaM. I'll try that.
    I will most like move to your newer version before too long, but I had got everything set up nicely for this (old) version. And it had been playing perfectly for months. Perhaps it is the new NVidea graphics driver that I recently installed?
    One extra little observation. It appears to lock up, (after pressing the turn button), when it reaches the Brittany icon. If it has something to do with Brittany, this is very strange, as I have done nothing to alter any of Brittany's stats.
    But many thanks again for you interest, JaM.
    Win10 64bit
    Asus P8Z77-V Pro
    Corsair PC1333 16 Gb

Stand up Guards!
    Make ready,
    Fire!"

Again, thanks for your suggestions JaM, but after trying several things, including using an earlier NVidea driver I have been unable to get the game running again past turn 35. Wish I knew why.

So I've let Steam update the game, and I will now download and hopefully use your latest version of NER.
    Win10 64bit
    Asus P8Z77-V Pro
    Corsair PC1333 16 Gb

Stand up Guards!
    Make ready,
    Fire!"

Following my earlier posts I've totally removed the old (v0.76 or 0.8, can't remember which I was using), l've let Steam (ggrrrrr) update the game, and installed first your NER v2.0, then your NER+ v1.80, both to the exact method you prescribe.

The game starts with both, but using your old indicator to see whether they have been correctly installed, I see that the musket range of infantry is 70 yards. I remember that you always used to say it should be 85 yards. Have you changed it to 70 yards? In which case I had correctly installed both versions, (not trying to use both at the same time though, as you warn.

Just to try something, I removed these latest versions and re-installed NER v0.8, and it seemed to install ok, with musket range of 85 yards. But I haven't actually tried playing with this again.

My main gripe is that over the past 2 years I have been using the Total Factions mod with yours, (thus allowing me to play as Hanover, with complete success and much enjoyment). But now I can't get the Total Factions mod to work after installation. I know I will have to ask Hustler about this in his mod thread.

I will be very grateful for any comments you may have, JaM.
    Win10 64bit
    Asus P8Z77-V Pro
    Corsair PC1333 16 Gb

Stand up Guards!
    Make ready,
    Fire!"

yeah, NER2 went back to range 70, while planned NER3 will go to just 60 (using realistic scale) so now only way how you can see mod installed correctly is to check the recruitment pools and see if your units are available with starting experience (Old Guard with 5-7 exp points for example)

regarding scale for NER3 - musket range 60, will actually represent 240m which was maximum effective range for muskets (range at which they could kill a man), so 12pdr artillery who had max range of 1800m will have range 450 in game - intention is to give some battle depth, so you will be able to use max range benefits of heavier guns.. with smaller scale, 12pdrs had range greater than combat map.. Also, unit scale will change a bit, single unit will be now Battalion/squadron, while 30-40 units per stack will be supported (i plan to include UI mod, but actual change will have to be done manually by each player, anyway i will provide detailed instructions how to do it)
    Last edited by JaM; December 19, 2012 at 09:24 AM.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Quote Originally Posted by rbbane View Post
    Following my earlier posts I've totally removed the old (v0.76 or 0.8, can't remember which I was using), l've let Steam (ggrrrrr) update the game, and installed first your NER v2.0, then your NER+ v1.80, both to the exact method you prescribe.

The game starts with both, but using your old indicator to see whether they have been correctly installed, I see that the musket range of infantry is 70 yards. I remember that you always used to say it should be 85 yards. Have you changed it to 70 yards? In which case I had correctly installed both versions, (not trying to use both at the same time though, as you warn.

Just to try something, I removed these latest versions and re-installed NER v0.8, and it seemed to install ok, with musket range of 85 yards. But I haven't actually tried playing with this again.

My main gripe is that over the past 2 years I have been using the Total Factions mod with yours, (thus allowing me to play as Hanover, with complete success and much enjoyment). But now I can't get the Total Factions mod to work after installation. I know I will have to ask Hustler about this in his mod thread.

I will be very grateful for any comments you may have, JaM.
    I guess as well, it is the Total Factions mod making the campaign crash issue. Nobody else reported the crash with turn 35.

Rbbane, according to your pc spec, why do you use still XP while having much more updated hardware, i recommend install Win 7 64k (try to find a direct update method from XP to 7, while better is certainly a formatted hd partition C), it'll use also the full RAM* and overall performance increases.

4 Gb (3.5Gb used) Kingston PC3 1333
    Iirc, XP can't use more than 2 GB effectively.
    Last edited by DaVinci; December 22, 2012 at 06:46 AM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.