Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tactic or Exploit?

Default Tactic or Exploit?

I have a question about another tactic I am starting to use. Now before I just go in and ask I remember a submod for a previous version of TATW and it allowed you to build stone/wooden forts depending on your culture. Now these forts were not any joke, 3000 gold to build. However, they dished out 8 free upkeep spots. I found this sort of cheep becaue I could spend 6000 on two castles and virtually have a full free stack anywhere I wanted.

Now... With this mod you can build little 200 dollar forts that hold only two free units. This seems less "cheap" or exploitable because of the 2 free upkeep spots. However, if you do the math (unless I was hella stoned when I did the math) you can get those eight upkeep spots by only spending 2000 gold. This looks alittle funny when you have a row of four forts but it might be worth it for the upkeep.

IS this tactic an exploit... For instance I use forts to cover my mountain territories as the Dwarves. The Misty Mountains and Gunabad are covered in little forts. (thinking as the dwarves this wouldnt be too lore breaking)

How do you all, as the community who plays this mod, view this tactic. Say I want to hold off my war on the Gunabad orcs to launch an invasion on Rhun. So I build up four castles around Gunabad and "Dig in" is this exploting the fact that I can just pop up castles and throw free men in them?

-- Just something to think about.

Default Re: Tactic or Exploit?

what is the sub mod

If a fort is 200 and it gives 2 slots, then to get 8 slots you will have to spend 800, not 2000.

You can remove fort building as well as free upkeep slots from forts.

also i believe it would considered a tacit. the dwarves would have certainly built forts every where. even the elves did it in the first age.

But the AI cannot do it, so is it an exploit?

I guess, technically if the mod specifically allows fort-building then it can't be an exploit.

Anything that gives you a break on upkeep though is changing the parameters of the game. It's up to you to decide if the change makes the game more or less fun, and whether or not you think it matters whether it's more or less challenging.

which submod? or is this vanilla?

In my game (1.4.1) there are a few stone forts from the beginning. One next to Moria, one in Mirkwood, one next to the Rohan/Gondor boundary, one near Burh Ermanarikis, one in the northern Misty Mountains, and one south of Carn Dum and west of Coldfells. That means that generals cannot build forts. Sadly, the AI never uses any of these forts (except the one next to Moria) or even occupy them, so they go through the entire game owned by the rebels. I don't make use of them because my troops are either in settlements or on the move. I don't know why they were put in the game. They serve some defensive purpose, but they're almost never used.

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

Same in 3.2 except with one north of Dorwinion. I only use that one and the Mirkwood one until I take Wrakyaburg. I didn't realise you could build them. I will investigate.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

Gondolin's Avatar Tiro

Check this topic if you want to be able ton built stone fort.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=360928

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    But the AI cannot do it, so is it an exploit?
    I find in this mod and in others that the AI do build forts, they just never ever put them to efficient use like a human would. More often than not, in the late game when cash is flowing in all quartres, the AI leaves around a lot of forts around even with the fort degeneration rule after one turn activated.

In my vanilla 3.2 campaign i can build forts for 500 not 200 .. Thats where i get my 2000 number lol... But ya in vanilla i can build forts... They only have 2 upkeep and 500 gold... I try to use realistically... The ai do and have built additional forts to what is already there at the beginning... I also see the ai leaving armies in the castles perhaps for defense perhaps for upkeep reasons

I can't build any forts. If I could I definitely would but no. I just can't.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

I can't build any forts.
    None of us can in vanilla TATW, by design. Those who can must have done this in descr_campaign_db.xml:

Change:

<can_build_forts bool="false"/>

to:

<can_build_forts bool="true"/>

i did that and i play as the elves and it looks like an egyptian camp. how would i change it to a permant fort and not look like tent city.

the dwarves would have certainly built forts every where.

Withwnar
    None of us can in vanilla TATW, by design. Those who can must have done this in descr_campaign_db.xml:

Change:

<can_build_forts bool="false"/>

to:

<can_build_forts bool="true"/>
    When I realised, I used the link above anyway but thanks still. Now I can do a proper Silvan campaign. Celeborn died around turn 16 but rather than rage quit, I can pretend Galadriel has left Middle-Earth and left Thranduil in complete control. No more mirror but I can take Mirkwood and just hide in the forts. I don't have to care about anyone.

Odd, and here I thought everyone was able to build forts.... I didnt change anything when installing 3.2 so perhaps there was something already changed when I installed it or who knows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast