Page 4 of 68 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Football 2014/2015

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

Default Re: Scottish Football 2012/2013

Quote Originally Posted by andysmfc13 View Post
    Last year I was calling on Teale to be sold in the Summer but this year.... seems he has a new lease of life!!

We have 18,750 tickets more if we sell that allocation out. I think maybe somewhere around 17 thousand. Hopefully more.

What about the Jambos?
    Ah that's actually more than I expected- we are still crazy after the 5-1 last year so you could sell 100 000 tickets to Hearts fans But I reckon I have a fair chance to get one- after hearing others want to buy tickets for their dogs

Thanks for your opinion on him, seems my impression was right then. He'll be a tough test for McHattie in the final. I guess the duel of Goncalves vs Ngoo could decide the game
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

Cold_Mac's Avatar Senator

@Danny:Of course! We'll take Wembley with ease!
    I'm not a fan of Kayal in general, think he is too inefficient and too much of a "hollywood"-performer but his form has been way better than Ledleys. Ledley has a pretty notorious problem with his hip flexor muscle since november, he should get a long, long rest. He needs to be ready when Kayal picks up the next 4-month long injury. We still have a very capable defensive team. We badly lack experience though, with such a young age, two or three bad performances like Wanyamas can happen. A very determined opponent make that even more likely. Tbh the only regular who pisses me off at the moment is Mulgrew. He is Lennons golden boy, gets shoehorned in any formation we play which leads to him jogging about the pitch as if he would the fusion of Púskas & Di Stefano. Hope he picks himself up. Expect Rogne & Stokes to be gone.

Izzy lacked a bit of decidedness in his tackling & tracking but his inefficient crossing/passing is much worse. We barely get two or three attacks per game across his side and gets only in advanced positions if our lead is secure. He seems very confidence-dependent.

Quote Originally Posted by Treva, the Renewer View Post
    Of course it didn't, man.
    Just scaremongering tactics.
    Rules are meant to be followed. One day it might happen to you, and there was some unwarranted nastiness from some clubs, ]
    Especially if you look at their programm - Sky shows 5 hours of fish O'Mania on some sundays, even the face of Ian Black is more attractive than that.You can be sure that we would have gotten the same treatment, probably with less viciousness from D. Utd, but you never know what those Dons, Jambos or Hobbos are up too...never mind, Lawwell is a cheapskate

The EoS is reorganising prior to another reorganisation?
    Some bizarr structures with 3 east region leagues (north, central, south) merged along with the Super/Premierleague being expanded to 16 teams.
    Getting those 4 associations together in a pyrimade will make those boys work pretty hard.

Really? Isn't it a logical contradiction?
    It is, sarcasm is in his essence brutal honesty. Its just that, the usual "honest" guys I know, struggle badly with sarcasm.

Sellik, Hibs, etc. trying to avoid a larger league. Not necessarily, more teams could, possibly, mean moar TV money… although as it's not a definite 'will' get more money then they'd rather stick to the current system. I wonder how much truth there is to the claim that there wouldn't be as much difference in points between the Old Firm and the rest
    Yes, I think so. Both Doncaster & Lawwell are quoted that the Champions will give up a good part of their win bonus (curr. 2.7m GBP) which will be distributed to the Top 4 of the First Division or "Championship" as it will be called. Its badly needed - the winner of the FD gets currently 70k with the relegated club in the SPL getting 750k.
    I can't see how it will attract sponsors if there will be less Edinburgh/Dundee/Old & New-Firm-Derbies in the exchange of, with the greatest respect, crap like Raith vs St. Johnstone with around 2.500 guys in the seats.
    In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the players, then you get the fans.
    Its plausible though that the Championship-Playoff could get an additional TV-contract. Hope the winner of the small Play-Off get a trophy.

The thread for Arsenal supporters is over there --->
    You too had a pretty bad season with cups so far, eh?
    We have a Hampden winning ratio of exactly 50%, but its pretty bad if you consider that our 4 wins came from our whipping boys from Aberdeen & Motherwell, with Falkirk as 4th.
    Last edited by Cold_Mac; January 28, 2013 at 05:15 PM.
    Shale: My heart does not qualify as shiny. I kill. Frequently, and not without pleasure.
    Leliana: You had a difficult life. Deep down, at the center of your being, you are a good person. I believe that.
    Shale: Even though I have never demonstrated this aspect? How peculiar.
    Leliana: You aren't all stone, Shale. There is a person inside of you.
    Shale: If so, it is because I ate it.

Treva ★'s Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Cold_Mac View Post
    Especially if you look at their programm - Sky shows 5 hours of fish O'Mania on some sundays, even the face of Ian Black is more attractive than that.You can be sure that we would have gotten the same treatment, probably with less viciousness from D. Utd, but you never know what those Dons, Jambos or Hobbos are up too...never mind, Lawwell is a cheapskate
    Fish-O-Mania? It's become that bad? I tend to ignore practically all non-football sports programming, the exceptions being tennis (Men's or Sharapova's) and some occasional basketball.
    Lemme fetch me musket.

It's the least I can do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold_Mac
    Some bizarr structures with 3 east region leagues (north, central, south) merged along with the Super/Premierleague being expanded to 16 teams.
    Getting those 4 associations together in a pyrimade will make those boys work pretty hard.
    Indeed. I think it'll eventually result in a greater benefit. (see below)
    It is, sarcasm is in his essence brutal honesty. Its just that, the usual "honest" guys I know, struggle badly with sarcasm.
    They might just be thick, you know… of course, I'm a master keyboarder!
    Yes, I think so. Both Doncaster & Lawwell are quoted that the Champions will give up a good part of their win bonus (curr. 2.7m GBP) which will be distributed to the Top 4 of the First Division or "Championship" as it will be called. Its badly needed - the winner of the FD gets currently 70k with the relegated club in the SPL getting 750k.
    I can't see how it will attract sponsors if there will be less Edinburgh/Dundee/Old & New-Firm-Derbies in the exchange of, with the greatest respect, crap like Raith vs St. Johnstone with around 2.500 guys in the seats.
    In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the players, then you get the fans.
    Its plausible though that the Championship-Playoff could get an additional TV-contract. Hope the winner of the small Play-Off get a trophy.
    Moar money-> moar success -> moar fans. The Old Firm always have a lot of fans because ther'es plenty of gloryseekers around, and a gloryseeker's chidlren will support the same club, etc. etc., forever expanding. You lot've got most of Ireland anyway, as well as extra TV & gate income from European competition and your usual Cup runs (quarter- or semi-finals in one or both domestic Cups, at least).
    At present, many teams don't even have to improve on their (infra-)structure because there's no one who'd demand it of them.
    There's a few countries that have had a central League and large groups of the country's teams excluded from them, and then incorporated. At first the outsiders fare crappily but then it's game on. You just watch.
    You too had a pretty bad season with cups so far, eh?
    We have a Hampden winning ratio of exactly 50%, but its pretty bad if you consider that our 4 wins came from our whipping boys from Aberdeen & Motherwell, with Falkirk as 4th.
    The tentacled horror from beyond my stars spoke, and von Neumann help me, in my madness, I understood its words.
    СИНДИКАТ!
    Dè a tha Montrose Mór ag ràdh?
    Heavy Metal will never die. - Sir Christopher Frank Carrandini Lee.

Boing!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    SPL clubs unanimous in their support for a revamped league structure

• All 12 top-flight clubs back new 12-12-18 plan
    • Scottish Football League clubs will now discuss proposal

All 12 of Scotland's top-flight clubs have given their "unanimous backing" to plans for a revamped 12-12-18 Scottish league structure.

The Scottish Premier League chief executive, Neil Doncaster, revealed consensus had been achieved at a meeting of the 12 clubs at Hampden on Monday. Scottish Football League clubs will meet to discuss the proposals, which include a merger of the two bodies, on Thursday.

Doncaster said: "We got unanimous backing of the way forward today so it now goes to Thursday and the Scottish Football League clubs will have their views. But today, the Scottish Premier League clubs were united in their view that this is the way forward."

The plans were originally backed by SPL clubs last year before Doncaster stepped up talks with his SFL counterparts. But some doubt had emerged since both leagues agreed in principle to the plans earlier this month in conjunction with the Scottish Football Association, whose professional game board [PGB] has been driving reconstruction attempts.

Some clubs who were not involved in the previous meeting had requested more information amid scepticism from fans but they appear to have been satisfied.

Doncaster said: "We provided further details that have arisen from meetings over the past weeks. The last time that all of our SPL clubs got together was on 3 December so in the intervening time there has been some more detail that's been discussed with the PGB and with the SFL board.

"All of that was provided today and the clubs are clear and united and unanimous in their view that this should be taken forward to the next stage."

The plans, if approved by SFL clubs, would see both leagues merge and a fairer distribution of income, along with a pyramid system that would allow clubs to move into the professional league. The controversial aspect of the new structure is a plan to split the top two leagues into three groups of eight after 22 games to create an extended play-off system.

The middle eight clubs would all have their points reset to zero and the top four at the end of the season would start the next campaign in the 'Premiership'.

The SFL needs 22 of its clubs to back the plans with Rangers not allowed to vote as they are only associate members. Rangers came out vociferously against the proposals when the leagues reached broad agreement with their chief executive, Charles Green, vowing to look for a way out of Scottish football if they were introduced.

Rangers would still be in the bottom tier if the new system comes into force in time for next season, but the timescale of their anticipated ascent to the top flight would not be affected. However, there is no guarantee the plans would be ratified in time to take effect next season.

Motherwell will aim this week to meet directors of the Well Society, the fans' group which has a stake in the club, in order to state their case for change.

A club statement read: "There was no formal vote today however as a club, we indicated our support to the SPL executive to progress discussions with the SFL. It is now our intention to share what we heard today with our supporters so we can have the same discussion and outline why it is our view this is the best option for the game at this time."

SFL face pressure as SPL clubs agree league changes
    SCOTTISH Premier League clubs yesterday agreed to back the proposal for a new league model, meaning the new 12-12-18 format will be put in front of Scottish Football League clubs on Thursday in an attempt to reach a consensus.

While SFL chief executive David Longmuir has revealed that the controversial new 12-12-18 set-up may not be in place next season even it is ratified on Thursday, this is not the mood of SPL clubs, who will push for changes to the league structure to be introduced in time for next season.

All 30 SFL clubs will meet at Hampden on Thursday to discuss the reconstruction plans but Longmuir suggested that time could work against them. SFL rules state that 21 days’ warning must be given in order to call an extraordinary meeting to vote on the proposals. It could be late February before a decision is reached – just ten weeks before the current campaign is due to end.

Longmuir claims that the process could be speeded up slightly but admits that it could be too “tight” to adopt the three-division structure in time for the start of the new season in July.

Rangers, in particular, have been highly critical that the changes intended to take place in 2013-14 were announced more than midway through this season, and put out another statement from Charles Green last night questioning the need or desire for a 12-12-18 set-up.

“In terms of a voting meeting, 21 days are required but the notice period can be reduced through mutual agreement,” said Longmuir.

“I’m not giving any view either way on whether it’s feasible for next season. I think it would be very tight but we’ll see what comes from [the SPL meeting] first of all and then we’ll take it from there.”

Longmuir also stressed that it won’t be a case of the SFL joining the SPL or vice versa and that the ruling body would be a separate entity. “My understanding is that it will be a merged body, a completely new body,” he said. “That would be my view on how a merger should operate. To take the game forward properly we need a freshness about the whole thing.”

Rangers, as a new club, are currently only associate members of the SFL and aren’t allowed to vote at meetings until they’ve belonged to the organisation for four years. However, it’s possible they may be granted full membership status, and voting rights, with the new league. “You’re way ahead of us on that one,” said Longmuir. “The rule book will need to be worked on but we haven’t started on that level of detail just yet.”

Neil Doncaster, the SPL chief executive, said yesterday’s meeting had been a “robust discussion.”

“We got unanimous backing of the way forward today so it now goes to Thursday and the Scottish Football League clubs will have their views,” he said. “But today, the Scottish Premier League clubs were united in their view that this is the way forward.”

The plans were originally backed by SPL clubs last year before Doncaster stepped up talks with his SFL counterparts. But some doubt had emerged since both leagues agreed in principle to the plans earlier this month in conjunction with the Scottish Football Association, whose professional game board (PGB) has been driving reconstruction attempts.

Some clubs who were not involved in the previous meeting had requested more information amid scepticism from fans but appear to have been satisfied yesterday. Doncaster said: “We provided further details that have arisen from meetings over the past weeks. The last time that all of our SPL clubs got together was on 3 December so in the intervening time there has been some more detail that’s been discussed with the PGB and with the SFL board.

“All of that was provided today and the clubs are clear and united and unanimous in their view that this should be taken forward to the next stage.”

Doncaster added: “It is now for the Scottish Football League clubs to give their view on Thursday. The SPL clubs have made it clear that they, in principle, back this being taken to the next stage”.

The next stage is Thursday’s SFL meeting at Hampden and if the plans are given the green light, then it is very much the SPL’s intention to have the new set-up up and running by the start of the 2013-14 season.

“If it is going to happen, it will have to happen next season,” said Scot Gardiner, the chief executive of Dundee. “It won’t be delayed. If it is going to happen, it is going to happen now. To get consensus is very difficult, and to keep it for a year-and-a-half, I would suggest is impossible. Clubs’ bank positions change, and they might have reason to vote a different way further down the line.”

Gardiner, who was on the SPL’s original steering committee for reconstruction, expressed satisfaction with yesterday’s outcome. “I was being told today there was no chance; four clubs did not want it,” he said. “And yet here we are, with unanimous agreement.”

City neighbours Dundee United were one of the clubs who had to be convinced of the proposal. “We will be voting in favour of it for the sake of Scottish football,” confirmed Stephen Thompson, chairman of the Tannadice club. “It is the only proposal on the table worth looking at. It’s not perfect but it contains a lot of good things. All the SPL clubs were unanimous in agreeing to take it to the next stage, and that’s unheard of.”

Thompson was yesterday voted back on to the SPL board. He resigned in November due to what was described as “professional differences” with another member of the board. It was deemed at the time to be a blow to plans for league reconstruction.
    Reorganisation, yes, but weird.
    The tentacled horror from beyond my stars spoke, and von Neumann help me, in my madness, I understood its words.
    СИНДИКАТ!

The Great Montrose's Avatar Senator

Another good win for us tonight. And another goal from Thommohawk and the new boy.
    the dream will never die

Robert Wishart, Bishop of Glasgow, 'the kingdom of Scotland is not held in tribute or homage to anyone save God alone.' - 1290.

This time against 2nd placed Inverness, nae bad! We needed 24 shots for one goal again, which is ridiculous, but at least we have finally beaten the Dees Only hit the woodwork twice today, signs of improvement
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Quote Originally Posted by Mausolos of Caria View Post
    This time against 2nd placed Inverness, nae bad! We needed 24 shots for one goal again, which is ridiculous, but at least we have finally beaten the Dees Only hit the woodwork twice today, signs of improvement
    We seem to be improving. Yeah good to see hearts winning which means dundee are now 14 points behind us!

I believe we play you at home only two weeks before the cup final? no doubt who ever wins that will lose the final
    the dream will never die

Robert Wishart, Bishop of Glasgow, 'the kingdom of Scotland is not held in tribute or homage to anyone save God alone.' - 1290.

We seem to be improving. Yeah good to see hearts winning which means dundee are now 14 points behind us!

I believe we play you at home only two weeks before the cup final? no doubt who ever wins that will lose the final
    Oh aye, that has to be a jinx Indeed, at least both of us will stay up

Oh aye, that has to be a jinx Indeed, at least both of us will stay up
    Well you never know....
    the dream will never die

Well you never know....
    Nah, don't worry Any deadline day transfers of note?

Russell still at United, Hooper still at Celtic, Zaliukas still at Hearts. I guess there's not a lot happening at Rangers, Treva?

Somebody's being funny, all I know is we have players on the national team. What's Strachan thinking? They were relegated last year!
    СИНДИКАТ!

Somebody's being funny, all I know is we have players on the national team. What's Strachan thinking? They were relegated last year!
    Have you? I only saw Strachan wants to bring back Chris Burke

Have you? I only saw Strachan wants to bring back Chris Burke
    I like Chris Burke.

Much better than a certain hearts centre back who somehow gets national caps
    the dream will never die

Fish-O-Mania? It's become that bad? I tend to ignore practically all non-football sports programming, the exceptions being tennis (Men's or Sharapova's) and some occasional basketball.
    Depends though. Many shows are like vacuos, lifeless caricatures of their former quality (Simpsons, How I met your Mother, Two and a half Men & others) while others suffered a excruciating death (Scrubs foremost) but you still have the gems of Frasier, Becker or Futurama that usually get aired around 4 a.m. Family Guy can be more interesting than some of our recent games as well.

Here in Germany its not comparably better. 60% reality TV, 20% of stupid discussions that end in controversial fights and 20% of repetitive comedy-episodes....I'm a TV-snob!

They might just be thick, you know… of course, I'm a master keyboarder!

Moar money-> moar success -> moar fans. The Old Firm always have a lot of fans because ther'es plenty of gloryseekers around, and a gloryseeker's chidlren will support the same club, etc. etc., forever expanding. You lot've got most of Ireland anyway, as well as extra TV & gate income from European competition and your usual Cup runs (quarter- or semi-finals in one or both domestic Cups, at least)
    Agreed. Even in my university, after we beat those minnows in the Camp Nou, there were professors with celtic kits underneath their jackets (tbh they were sociologist, so maybe imposters)
    Not sure about this. Most ed off in/after the Mowbray-year, supporting Man Utd/Man City/Arsenal and shouting Up da Rah. Your club has some pretty engaged followers in NI as well. In comparison, there is one Hobbo from County Down that I know...

Whats your take on tomorrows game? I favour the underdog, going for a 2:1 win for your lot.

btw we should be wary. Everybody knows what happens when a Celtic & Rangers fan do not hate each other.....

@Andy: I think Burke, McCormack, Wallace & Fletcher are badly needed. Webster is very, very average...
    Last edited by Cold_Mac; February 01, 2013 at 11:29 AM.
    Shale: My heart does not qualify as shiny. I kill. Frequently, and not without pleasure.
    Leliana: You had a difficult life. Deep down, at the center of your being, you are a good person. I believe that.

Hey, Andy Webster has been our most consistent and best performer in the last 2 years, so shut up Burke's recent stats aren't too impressive anymore, however he was a good player back on his day. I'm not too convinced about his call up, but I'll be happy as long as Canada tourist Mr Miller doesn't get a starting place.

Hey, Andy Webster has been our most consistent and best performer in the last 2 years, so shut up Burke's recent stats aren't too impressive anymore, however he was a good player back on his day. I'm not too convinced about his call up, but I'll be happy as long as Canada tourist Mr Miller doesn't get a starting place.
    Slow, cumbersome, stupid in the tackle and quickly chucks it. Probably still better than Hutton at right-back
    He is the only top player that stayed at your club, so yes, probably. I'd still vote for Skacel.

His stats are not impressive because Birmingham are in huge turmoil with Yueng. He is certainly a more capable player in previously unearthed dimensions than the garbage that Levein called up and insisted on playing. Jamie Mackie prefered to Fletcher? Because of the snub of a friendly that carried on while he was solely responsible? He called Gerry ing Kenneth up. Who was chased out of Tannadice 5 months later.

Remember when you absolutly ridiculed me when I said that Scotland will be bottom of the group with Levein?

Lets hope Gordon ends our period of self-inflicted terror. We are way off the 32 best sides in europe, but certainly not worser than Makedonia.

Prove yourself a real Scotsman!

http://www.borderagencyscotland.com/
    Last edited by Cold_Mac; February 01, 2013 at 04:03 PM.

I dont want English players picked, only Scots. Get rid of the Grandparent rule, it dilutes national football. Have to say this is the only time I've ever agreed with Kenny Paranoid Shiels.
    the dream will never die

Good point, I agree in parts.

Out of Gilks, Bardsley, Morrison, Philipps, Mackie, Fletcher & Rhodes only the latter two would hurt.
    Probably the best strikers that scotland has right now, both with increasing abilities, so would be astute to keep them.
    The others though, are very, very ordinary. Especially Morrison is piss poor for scotland.

I personally have no qualms about picking english-born players, even picked the Empire in Skyrim.
    Its football in the end and the results (there the ability) are more decisive than the generic birth place.

Would you rather pick a scotland team including Buffon, Vieira, Rooney & Mario Gomez or Marshall, Morrison, Boyd & Miller?

Kenny Shiels is just annoying. Must be a habit of NI-managers that they annoy people outside their clubs. Lomas even annoys his own club's fans.
    Last edited by Cold_Mac; February 01, 2013 at 04:57 PM.

Good point, I agree in parts.

Out of Gilks, Bardsley, Morrison, Philipps, Mackie, Fletcher & Rhodes only the latter two would hurt.
    Probably the best strikers that scotland has right now, both with increasing abilities, so would be astute to keep them.
    The others though, are very, very ordinary. Especially Morrison is piss poor for scotland.

I personally have no qualms about picking english-born players, even picked the Empire in Skyrim.
    Its football in the end and the results (there the ability) are more decisive than the generic birth place.

Would you rather pick a scotland team including Buffon, Vieira, Rooney & Mario Gomez or Marshall, Morrison, Boyd & Miller?

Kenny Shiels is just annoying. Must be a habit of NI-managers that they annoy people outside their clubs. Lomas even annoys his own club's fans.
    Fletchers mother is Scotish therefore I would pick him. I just feel that grandparents is a stupid rule as these guys dont feel Scottish as much as they say they do. They all have just realised there not good enough for England and so went "I know I'll play for Scotlland since I'm too bad to play for my own country"

These guys wont go in for the 50/50 tackles or close down the man in the last minute. I think that Scottish players would give more effort in a game as they realise how much it matters to the tartan army.

I'd rather have Samson or Bell than Gilks. I'd rather have Johnny russell than mackail-smith or rhodes.

And yes I hate Shiels. He's a sore loser. When we played them off the park but drew 1-1 with them. He went on about how much better they were than us and that our penalty shouldnt have been given whereas theres was a stonewaller. Yet every commentator and pundit said the opposite of what Shiels said. Plus he thinks theres some conspiracy against him .

P.S. Skyrim for the Nords!!
    the dream will never die

even picked the Empire in Skyrim.
    Hey, you always told me you'd only play the rebels!

And your lot had worse defenders than Webster! On Scotland, we can still finish better than this. Levein was inept, in a recent interview he said the players just lacked the quality. Why did he stick with those players who failed then? He was a great player, but surely the wrong choice for the Scotland post.

Agreed about Shiels, when they beat us 1-0 on boxing day despite us totally dominating he afterwards said they deserved the win and should have get another penalty. Of course he didn't mention the three clear dives of his players the ref had not judged as dives, or simply not seen.
    Last edited by Mausolos of Caria; February 01, 2013 at 05:23 PM.