Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: Scottish Football 2013/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Treva, the Renewer View Post
    That's it, I'm burning Edinburgh.
    You are not an Unionist?

19 May 2012
    Hibernian 1-5 Heart of Midlothian

''Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind.''

Cold_Mac's Avatar Princeps Prior
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Treva has been pretty much pro-independence on any topic I've read... be it Catalunya or Scotland.
    Happiness is fradulent.

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Equites
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Fair enough. Motherwell to go down, anyone?

19 May 2012

''Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind.''

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Still expect County to go down. Motherwell will pick up points eventually even if they won't make the top 6.

Anyway, pointless to post about our match as I'll just get the ignorant complain of being whiny, spoiled idiot.
    Happiness is fradulent.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Hamilton are doing so well against all odds. They've got a good bunch of young players who are also technically gifted and can hit every team on the break. It will be interesting to see how they are going to evolve throughout the season and how far they can go.

Ross County looked decent in the first half today, but was absolutely bombarded by Caley after the break. Some great blocks and saves there, but they were too often overrun. Still, there are signs for improvement and I do not see them as a safe bet for relegation. It will probably be quite tight in the end. Most teams who are at the bottom of the table are lacking goals right now, including last season's high-flyers St Johnstone and Motherwell.

19 May 2012

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Yeah, Deila laps up the applause after his mid-table battlers came so close to taking a point off league leaders Hamilton.

Seriously though, they are a good time and great to watch. Midfield display was so dominant; quick on the break and constantly delivering the ball to the danger areas. Andreu is class. Love both promoted sides this season.

You think St. Johnstone/Motherwell are serious contenders? Lacking goals is one thing but having an established, experienced squad usually saves you from relegation.

Get your point though - Motherwell's defense was never great, many goals come individual misjudgements, just takes a functional team to exploit them. Been pretty usual to start abysmal and unearth 6-month wonders that'll propel them upwards again though.

St. Mirren have so many problems and so few strengths - and those two midfielders are often injured. Between them and County for me. Would like both to go down for Hearts....and Raith
    Happiness is fradulent.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Hehe yes Rovers against Queen of the South is on BBC Alba on Friday

You are right about Saints and Well and I did not seriously suggest them for relegation, what I was doing was merely pointing out they are down there as well I still think both will improve as the season goes on, both have had sluggish starts in the past seasons as well. Stuart McCall said Motherwell would NEVER finish 2nd again, which was probably born out of the current situation rather than being intended as a curse like the one Benfica has been experiencing for half a century now

Motherwell still have a half decent squad, so they'll probably come back. St Johnstone's squad has looked so thin all season, we'll see if Faddy can be an asset. I'm still bewildered by the circumstances of his arrival- having trained with Partick Thistle for almost 2 months, he suddenly went to Perth and won a deal there in a very short time. After all, Alan Archibald said the Jags would be lacking the funds to afford McFadden, but I was under the impression that St Johnstone Football Club is the self-proclaimed poorest company in Perthshire

19 May 2012

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

One hell of a game!

What would you say now about your predictions about this year being the poorest season of scottish football ever, 3 months onwards?

Both St. Johnstone and Motherwell are weird cases; their best player is a luxury player with ludicrous shooting ability, but their replacements (Josh Law/Michael O'Halloran) are so utterly limited, they could've been nicked from the juniors. Defense and goalies are hopeless for Motherwell but as you said, they'll pick up eventually.

St. Johnstone's attack is toothless and lacks composure; Brian Graham is the best they've got. Anyway, they announced that they had some budget left and aimed to get an additional striker. So they got James McFadden. A injury-prone has-been, with high costs that wasn't even a goalscoring striker in his prime. Why? Woherspoon is already a creative force, with it's limitations. Won't change a thing.

Will be hard to get into the top with all the good work done by other clubs.
    Happiness is fradulent.

Treva, the Renewer's Avatar Equites
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I love the Grauniad's newspiece:

Gordon Strachan relieved as Scotland beat Georgia thanks to own goal
    • Scotland 1-0 Georgia
    • Akaki Khubutia 28 og

Ewan Murray at Ibrox
    The Observer, Saturday 11 October 2014 19.27 BST
    Jump to comments (32)

Gordon-Strachan-Scotland-Georgia Gordon Strachan applauds his Scotland players after their unconvincing 1-0 win at home against Georgia. Photograph: Lee Smith/Action Images

In the grand scheme of things, this demolition means very little apart from providing further proof that the Euro 2016 qualifiers are worse off for including teams such as Gibraltar. After 14 minutes the result was a foregone conclusion, by the hour mark it made for some very uncomfortable viewing.

The chances of the Republic of Ireland getting a result in Germany on Tuesday remains improbable even if their biggest win since defeating Malta 8-0 in 1983 will instil plenty of confidence before the most daunting of fixtures.

It is difficult to understate how out of their depth Gibraltar were here. Allen Bula’s team were a mess, and they face not only a succession of hammerings in this campaign but a long road until they become anything more than perpetual whipping boys. Then again, what should one expect from a team made up mostly of players from a domestic league where every single fixture is played on the rock’s one artificial pitch?

Martin O’Neill had asked for patience from the Republic in the lead up to the game but the opening goal arrived inside six minutes and from there it spiralled. “I’m delighted,” O’Neill said. “We got off to a great start and effectively the game was won in 16 minutes.” By that stage Robbie Keane had a hat-trick and Wes Hoolahan was running riot.

The first arrived when Hoolahan played an exquisite pass to Aiden McGeady with the outside of his left boot and the Everton winger cut the ball back across goal to Keane, who slotted home from eight yards.

Eight minutes later Hoolahan sent through another delightful ball to Keane and, with Gibraltar’s goalkeeper Jordan Perez rushing off his line, the home side’s captain rolled the ball into an empty net for his second.

Hoolahan also won the penalty which confirmed Keane’s third international hat-trick in the 18th minute, the LA Galaxy striker sending Perez the wrong way to score a record 21st goal in European qualifiers. Soon after, a Mexican wave began making its way around the stadium and the Irish domination showed no signs of abating.

Within 30 seconds of the restart they had a fourth as Keane turned provider, playing in the unmarked James McClean. Perez’s positioning was abysmal and McClean may never score an easier goal, hitting a gaping net from the six-yard line.

The fifth arrived in bizarre fashion as Perez saved from Keane, Hoolahan’s rebound was blocked only for the ball to strike the unfortunate goalkeeper, who redirected it into his own net via the crossbar.

McClean then made it six in the 53rd minute after the goalkeeper failed to smother a tame effort, allowing the Wigan player to poke home, before Hoolahan managed a goal of his own to wrap up the scoring with 34 minutes still to play. He followed a neat dribble from the left with a carefully dispatched finish into the right corner.

“The period just after half-time was terrific,” O’Neill added. “We had a lot of momentum. But it wasn’t until that point that Tuesday’s game entered my head – and we now have plenty of confidence getting on the plane.”

Perez’s already awful evening plumbed new depths when he had the indignity of being taken off after an hour – just before his opposite number David Forde was finally called into action to deny a Joseph Chipolina header. It was hard not to afford Perez some sympathy. He applauded the home fans on his way off, who reciprocated with a standing ovation.

Bula was spiky when asked why he had made the change. “The same reason as any substitution,” he said. “A keeper is a player on the field, if I have to take him off, I have to take him off. If we’re developing a nation, why not? We don’t have 100,000 players to pick from and I need to rotate my keepers. Period. That is all.”

The remainder of the game was played out at friendly pace; the Republic hogging possession but failing to inflict any further damage on their deflated visitors.

O’Neill’s team will still head to Gelsenkirchen hopeful rather than expectant, but the thought of how Gibraltar will fare against the world champions next month is a bleak one.

I'm really not making that one up.
    The tentacled horror from beyond my stars spoke, and von Neumann help me, in my madness, I understood its words.
    СИНДИКАТ!
    Dè a tha Montrose Mór ag ràdh?
    Heavy Metal will never die. - Sir Christopher Frank Carrandini Lee.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

THAT was the goal of the season then

19 May 2012

Thread Information