Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: The most redundant/useless units in SS

Default Re: The most redundant/useless units in SS

Quote Originally Posted by Concillius View Post
    Uh, yeah, NO.
    SS already does this to some extent with lower availability and refill outside of homelands and that should probably be extended a bit more but I don't know if we need a hard cut mostly due to having to send unit home to be retrained whereas in reality a trickle of reinforcements would usually arrive.

So is it yeah or is it no?

Quote Originally Posted by Concillius
    I'd be in favor of increasing the number of regional units since that would make for a better game AND be historical.
    Great argument in any case.

How about allowing the retraining of some units in foreign regions up to a half of a unit? Or a quarter? So unit pool max 0.25.

Eofor's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Ichon View Post
    SS already does this to some extent with lower availability and refill outside of homelands and that should probably be extended a bit more but I don't know if we need a hard cut mostly due to having to send unit home to be retrained whereas in reality a trickle of reinforcements would usually arrive.
    I know, and I think it's a good gameplay mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    So is it yeah or is it no?
    No, because having to march my armies all the way back to England or Denmark or wherever my homeland is after every few battles is irritating, not to mention antithetical to the whole premise of TW games.

As I said, it works fine in BC. You have to rely on local troops and mercenaries more when you're away from home.

The amount of troops that heal after a battle should be increased for both the player and the AI.

"not to mention antithetical to the whole premise of TW games"

Which is ahistorical spam of clone armies?
    Last edited by k/t; January 15, 2013 at 06:26 PM.

well it is also already done in SS courtesy of RollingWave by the HURB, fighting against ERE? in wallachian region you will find ERE aided by boyars heavy cavalry/infantry, in serbian region there will be serbian units fighting for ERE (if they conquered those regions), turks units in anatolia, even the cumans can recruit georgian heavy infantry/cavalry in area near caucasus mountains for example.

and I love that mechanics, don't want to go back to vanilla RR anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by napoleonic View Post
    well it is also already done in SS courtesy of RollingWave by the HURB, fighting against ERE? in wallachian region you will find ERE aided by boyars heavy cavalry/infantry, in serbian region there will be serbian units fighting for ERE (if they conquered those regions), turks units in anatolia, even the cumans can recruit georgian heavy infantry/cavalry in area near caucasus mountains for example.

and I love that mechanics, don't want to go back to vanilla RR anymore.
    Yes, this is the best approach along with very limited roster replenishment in regions with high enough infrastructure in my opinion.

penquin11's Avatar Biarchus

Anything I ever said about the French not needing 3 knight units was wrong. Their unit roster lacks enough uniques as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichon View Post
    Yes, this is the best approach along with very limited roster replenishment in regions with high enough infrastructure in my opinion.
    only the most professional units, originally created specifically by a faction that cannot be found anywhere will stay and travel with the faction, like ERE Tagmata units or Georgian Monaspa units.

all others should be AoR units, feudal units should be AoR too.

and also integrate most mercs with AoR units. I mean mercs should also be recruited in settlements while some AoR units recruitable as mercs.
    Last edited by napoleonic; January 15, 2013 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by penquin11 View Post
    Anything I ever said about the French not needing 3 knight units was wrong. Their unit roster lacks enough uniques as it is.
    They have 6 uniques (well basically 8 as 2 they only share with 2 other faction) compared to 8 for HRE and 12 for England so a bit lower but in range of 6 for Hungary, 24 for ERE, 15 for CS, 6 for Poland, etc. So they are on lower end but there is also rich amount of AOR units around France. Breton, Basque, Swiss, Italian, Flemish, Swabian, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by napoleonic View Post
    only the most professional units, originally created specifically by a faction that cannot be found anywhere will stay and travel with the faction, like ERE Tagmata units or Georgian Monaspa units.
    I think all unique units should get some replenish with professionals getting a bit more when traveling out of native AOR. As for mercenaries vs AOR units... really only difference is how recruited as mercenaries do not require owning region while AOR units do. I think that is important distinction actually as some units wouldn't just join any local invader for money and would require vassal relationship or conquest to be available. English longbowmen wouldn't just join French or Norwegian invaders as mercenaries so easily but if England is conquered they would probably be available as AOR units it makes sense.
    Last edited by Ichon; January 15, 2013 at 11:35 PM.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    The amount of troops that heal after a battle should be increased for both the player and the AI.
    The AI really doesn't need this, it already gets 20% or more of it's army healed if they win when taking some casualties. It is quite annoying when you manage to kill 60% of the enemy and when the battle is over they only lose 32%, bloody necromancer generals.

Well, I don't know how high the number is set in 6.4. I only have the RR/RC Compilation for reference.

penquin11's Avatar Biarchus

I would love to see the following units gone (note Im using SSMAP .7, so some of these units might not even exist)
    5 All Peasants
    1 Religious Fanatics
    1 gun holk (not like navy is a huge deal in this game anyways)
    1 pirate ship
    4 Peasant Archers- (Archers militia/levy enough)
    1 Genoaese Crossbow Militia- there is already a Pavice Crossbow Militia, and it seems enough. Furthermore there is already a Genoa Crossbowmen unit.
    1 Pilgrims
    1 Urban Spear Militia- seems like just another spear militia unit, but one that isn't really needed and that takes up slots that could be used to enhance another factions unit roster.
    1 Swiss Guard/Papal Guard/Swiss Pikemen- don't remove all of these, but I was under the impression that the Swiss Guard and Papal Guard were the same thing (could be wrong), furthermore no-one plays as the Papal Sates (at least I don't believe so), it isn't an excessively active faction, and therefore shouldn't be focussed on to have many unique units.
    2 Peasant Crossbowmen- just like the archers.
    1 Saracen Militia: There is already a ME Spear Militia, this serves a similar purpose.
    1 Late Terico Pikemen: I don't see the reason to have 2 different Terico pikemen when they both serve the same purpose....
    1 Mercenary Monster Bombard
    1 Hunters- while realistic, these guys are useless.
    Sergeant Swordsmen- at least make these guys not be mercs?
    1 Mounted Calivermen- Historically were these even an official organized unit?
    1 Tribal Warrior

In total that would free up 24 unit slots- and Im sure there are other useless units out there.
    Last edited by penquin11; January 16, 2013 at 03:43 PM.

Judeman266's Avatar Senator

Genoese Crossbow Militia is a unit that is only used by Genoa, while the Genoese Crossbowmen should be an AOR/merc unit used especially by the French. They are 2 totally diff units.

Urban Spear Militia is the only legitimate spear unit for many European factions (actually historical). The Iberians especially would be hamstrung without it.

The Papal states has 2?, unique units. The Papal Guard is a spear unit that is pre-Swiss. The Swiss Guard is self explanatory.

Urban Crossbows are much more useful than castle crossbows which are superlight and early.

Saracen Militia is much better than ME Spear Militia. See Urban Spear Militia except Arabs and Turks would be hamstrung.

Late Tercio is totally different from Tercio Pikemen (historical). Armor is totally different and unit is meant to be the elite armored frontline troops while the other backs them up.

Agreed with pretty much everything else you said especially about the Light Men at arms/Light Swordsmen/ Sergeant Swordsmen.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456