Page 1 of 30 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: Rome II fan art

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Civis

Default Rome II fan art

hi all,

this weekend i'm going to be sitting down at my drawing table, with my pencils and markers and what not, and doing up a character render, based on the recent Roman screenshots.

Kind of keeping my own interest up, in between the RomeII faction reveals.

so, since I'm going to be drawing up a Roman soldier, i thought i'd open the floor to see what kind of soldier you'd like to see.

I was thinking Imperial era legionary, with scutum, but I'm open to suggestions.

Your interest will help keep me motivated, and ideally i'd like to post up a new one a week.
    We'll see how it pans out.

Cheers!

Default Re: Rome II fan art

Personally, an early imperial general. Kind of random, but it would look cool I think.

imperial cataphract

Quote Originally Posted by DarthShizNit View Post
    imperial cataphract
    That's pretty late Roman, but it could definitely be cool looking in a concept art.

Arcani!

yuezhi's Avatar Senator

yubtseb elephants!
    all hail the flying spaghetti monster!

Civis

the entries to the totalwar.com Christmas image contest are in, and the voting is on! If you're a member of the tw.com forum, from now until Jan 17th, you can view the 43 entries and make sure your favourites progress to the final vote. I'd appreciate your support, but don't just vote for number 42 because I say so... browse the galleries and choose your favourites! Thanks!

Let me show you my progress steps for my entry.

initial pencil sketch, 8.5x11

this started with the horses. Now, i'm not entirely confident in my drawing ability enough to draw horses from memory. They always end up looking like developmentally challenged dog camels. I needed photo reference for chariot horses, and Google gifted me with this image of Zeus in a chariot from a 1930 Canadian insurance document Perfect.

The horses came out great (well, except for maybe the horse on left is a bit of a dog in the face ), but i had started to run out of run out of room on the page for my chariot-borne warrior to wield his weapon without looking awkwardly cramped. I'd end up having to redraw this to bring it to a finished drawing.

But already at this stage, I had decided that I wanted him to resemble Santa... he'd be somewhat portlier than our King of Mount Olympus, he'd wear a bearded phrygian helmet, and his grip on his weapon would change, to open his chest up and give him a linothrax cuirass, decorated with North Polian ornamentation.

There were also some things i already wanted to change already also about the unit he'd be attacking.... I had sketched them as hoplites (deep dished circular aspis and dory spears), but I wanted to change them to imperial legionaries (curved scutum and throwing pila), because:
    a) they would be more iconic (rome total war and all that)
    b) i had drawn them backwards (should be shield left hand and spear right hand...i forgot because i'm left handed ), and
    c) they are easier to draw! For that particular angle, there is something about the relatively straightforward physical geometry of a legionary braced behind a centre-hold shield, vs. a hoplite with a rim-hold+armstrap shield, braced on his shoulder.

and i decided not to go with a foreground soldier looking back. the focus was supposed to be the chariot warrior, and it brought the image down too far, and would steal the focus.

Civis

the entries to the totalwar.com Christmas image contest are in, and the voting is on! If you're a member of the tw.com forum, from now until Jan 17th, you can view the 43 entries and make sure your favourites progress to the final vote. I'd appreciate your support, but don't just vote for number 42 because I say so... browse the galleries and choose your favourites! Thanks!

micron pigma 005, pencil, 8.5x11

redrawn, and it's a mixed success.

things I like:
    The chariot+horses is spaced better on the page
    the chariot now looks like a war vehicle, not a architectural flourish. Love that spinning scythed wheel (scalloped like holly!)
    the soldiers are now legionaries and they're looking pretty good, perspective-wise.

things i hate:
    the horses have now equalized... instead of one good one and a dogfaced one, now they're less good-looking twins! bah. and it looks like they have cartoon eyes
    i thought horse armour with knife antlers would look cool. yeah... somehow not so much.
    i still somehow ran out of room on the page. but this time its just his upheld weapon... not his entire body. This will at least work.
    The warriors helmet. I think the first sketch was better in this regard.

I didn't want to redraw it again... i was running low on time before the deadline (also, new years drinking was calling ). So I started inking it early, before i fully tightened up all the pencils. I figured that if the chariot warrior and horses were tighter, neater, more detailed drawings, than the foreground soldiers, it would serve to draw the eye to the subject, anyway.

Also i was excited to hurry up and get to the next stage.... breaking out the markers.

Nice.

Civis

copic markers, micron pigma 005, pencil, 8.5x11

you can probably now see why i wanted to get to the marker stage... man i have fun using these! I used 3 values of warm grey for the foreground legionaries, and 4 values of cool grey for the subject in the background.
    So now it was rendered, but in monochrome. I'd have to punch it up with some colour, to make it recognizably christmassy.
    Time for photoshop.
    Apologies for the poor photo quality. The colours are off in this, and there's some sort of green halo, because of the crappy phone cam i have to use... my flatbed scanner has given up the ghost, god rest her.
    Imagine me trying to snap phone camera photos, in reasonable resolution, without distortion or focus blur, of a monochrome drawing in my sketchbook, so i could import it to Photoshop.
    Wee.

Are there images above, cause I can't see any. Can you attach them too?

Civis

they're hosted on dropbox.. maybe that's an issue? I can't seem to edit my posts, so here are links:
    01:concept
    02:lineart
    03:markers

Quote Originally Posted by triptyck View Post
    they're hosted on dropbox.. maybe that's an issue? I can't seem to edit my posts, so here are links:
    01:concept
    02:lineart
    03:markers
    Thanks! Cool drawings! Nice work with colours.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I too share your difficulties in drawing proportionate horses, I am actually trying to draw the battle of Kadesh and am saving the horses for last. I actually chose to draw Muwatallis and Ramesses dismounted so I don't have to do horses up close.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Civis

I too share your difficulties in drawing proportionate horses, I am actually trying to draw the battle of Kadesh and am saving the horses for last. I actually chose to draw Muwatallis and Ramesses dismounted so I don't have to do horses up close.
    yowza. that's quite a challenge you've set for yourself; the largest chariot battle in recorded history. Are you depicting a particular moment of the battle? Ramses leading the remnants of Ra division in the counter-attack after the initial Hittite attack reaches the Egyptian camp, perhaps? I always thought that sounded pretty dramatic. Be sure to show us when you finish it! I'd love to see it. I've always thought Pharoahnic troops looked bad-ass.

I haven't done a full battle scene yet... i'll get there I'm planning on doing single unit renders for a bit, get some practice in, before i tackle an even larger composition.

I also have this crazy idea to render a large battle scene in the artistic style of Greek black figure vase paintings/Egyptian wall paintings, much like the loading screens from Shogun2 were done in ukiyo-e style. But maybe i'll leave that to CA's art team, and render in the style i already use

Civis

photoshop, copic markers, micron pigma 005, pencils

i'm not terribly happy with the Photoshop job i did on this, to be honest. It was a rush job... trying to get it finished and uploaded before I went out for NYE with the girlfriend, as the contest deadline hit at 3am January 1st, local time. I actually MUCH prefer the monochrome marker drawing... but the image needed colour, i think, to make it read more easily as a holiday image, and to really get across the Santa Claus aspect. So into Photoshop we go for some ad-hoc hue/saturation changes, and some quick text, and it's ready for submission.

I hope you enjoyed reading about my progress in making this image. I love taking part in projects like this... for the challenge to make an interesting imagethe things i learn, change, and have to adapt as i progress from traditional artistic media to digital, analyzing the weaknesses and strengths of my art as i'm working on it, and the crunch to finish an image before deadline... always a challenge for creative types, i guess, but also good to realize how to prioritize effort and time to get a job done.

For instance, this time i learned that maybe next time I decide to participate in something like this, and decide I want to draw original art, maybe I should decide to do so sooner than 2 days before deadline!

I think I can do better But regardless, I'm pretty happy with this effort, and honestly, what artist is ever really happy calling a piece finished?

Thanks for looking, and reading. If you like this work, or have enjoyed reading my post-mortem of the creative process, remember to vote in the polls and show your support!

Whether this makes it to the semi-finals, or not, look for more art sometime soon! At least it'll give you something to look at between faction reveals

wow it's fantastic

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by triptyck View Post
    yowza. that's quite a challenge you've set for yourself; the largest chariot battle in recorded history. Are you depicting a particular moment of the battle? Ramses leading the remnants of Ra division in the counter-attack after the initial Hittite attack reaches the Egyptian camp, perhaps? I always thought that sounded pretty dramatic. Be sure to show us when you finish it! I'd love to see it. I've always thought Pharoahnic troops looked bad-ass.

I haven't done a full battle scene yet... i'll get there I'm planning on doing single unit renders for a bit, get some practice in, before i tackle an even larger composition.

I also have this crazy idea to render a large battle scene in the artistic style of Greek black figure vase paintings/Egyptian wall paintings, much like the loading screens from Shogun2 were done in ukiyo-e style. But maybe i'll leave that to CA's art team, and render in the style i already use
    Thanks man, I actually have only done battles one other time, which is why it's so chalenging.
    The first time I did it like 3 years ago and did the Alexander mural for my art class, but instead it was star wars.

I'm trying to depict Muwatallis fighting Ramesses face to face on foot, while both armies crash into each other in the background. I've seen most Kadesh pictures depicting the camp scene but instead I sort of decided to draw something else. Just a generic battle scene probably, maybe later I will actually draw scenes from the battle.
    I am doing it in pencil so it will take a LONG TIME. I also don't have large enough paper so I will just take regular sheets of paper and then stick them together when I'm done.
    I will be a larger scale battle than my references which I will post below. I will actually draw Muwatallis as no one has ever done this before.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; January 06, 2013 at 04:57 PM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

wow thats very cool man the charioteer kinda looks like santa

Page 1 of 30 123456789101126 ... LastLast