Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Basic Faction Strategies by Fans"

Default "Basic Faction Strategies by Fans"

Each faction has some basic strategies. And there are basic strategies against each faction as well.
    @ Any and every one, feel free to post your strategies.

Mattwensley's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: "Basic Faction Strategies by Fans"

As Ordona:

Ordona Riders will be your mainstay for victory, with archers coming in behind, but be sure to keep enough Militiamen (and later Lumbermen) to deal with any spears. Ordona are one of the two factions that get mounted archers - this is an advantage that, along with Goat Lords, should not be ignored. However, Mounted Farmer Archers lack the numbers of their foot counterparts, and the charge and strength of other Riders. They should only be used as a distraction, not the basis of your force.

Ordona get respectable charge with their basic infantry - slow advance tactics do not merge well with their roster. Even when defending, make sure you are taking the initiative - if outnumbered or outflanked, use shock tactics and flanking to eliminate as much of the enemy as possible. Riders and Goat Lords both have the charge and numbers to break multiple light infantry, so be sure to take advantage of this. However, both can also hold their own in melee, unless against spears obviously, so be sure to use this if you are strained for effective units. Most Ordona units get lacking shield stat - because of this, you should take on archers as a priority. A mix of the AI and cavalry should mean this can be accomplished without too much difficulty.

Try to avoid battles in hilly regions, but it is forests, woods and cities that will be your bane. An inability to charge will devastate your forces. When beseiging, let them sally forth and catch them in their own gate. Inside the city, you will be limited to Ordona's lackluster infantry.

Ordona Standard Operating Procedure:
    Have infantry form a ring around any archers or Hawkmen, preferably on a hill or using another defendable position. Use this as a form of base, and send out attacks using cavalry. At this stage, you should only hit targets of opportunity - archers, light infantry and other, lighter cavalry. Goat Lords can take pretty much anything, but still avoid spearmen. As the enemy get close, have the archers engage the furthest enemy, and the infantry break formation to hit the closest. When most enemy infantry are engaged, bring back the horses to hit the enemy from behind.

And remember: From behind, a spearman is just like any other soldier...

Against Ordona:

Try to split their cavalry from their infantry, and take them out one by one. Heavy spears and archers will tear them apart. Keep an eye on your cavalry, but Ordona lack an effective spear unit of their own, so evade their horses and their infantry are yours. Good luck.
    ~~Knowledge is power, and I do not like the feeling of weakness~~
    ~~If it's a million to one shot, I'll make sure I'm the one~~

Here's a few tips for the Moblins

Miniblins should ALWAYS be the bulk of your army. Their numbers, high morale, and spear status mean they have a LOT of versatility. 2 units of Miniblins can wear down even Ruby Guard if you surround them.

Boars and Bokoblin are hardly worth the resources. Boar riders take suspicious amounts of damage even if you are flanking a light infantry unit, and Bokoblin are much less useful than Miniblins, due to their lower numbers and lower morale. Use Bigblins or Moblins as replacements for Shock Cavalry, and use Boars only for chasing down fleeing troops. For Bokoblin, replace instead with Bulbin or Miniblins.

Bulbins are effective light infantry as well as archers. Do not be afraid to have them serve as your main battle line, as their ability to keep formation, ranged attack, melee capability and high morale means that they are infinitely better suited to any task than Bokoblin.

Ghoma

Destroy the entire enemy army using armaghoma's

the end

Universal strategy tip:

NEVER USE THE AUTO RESOLVE FEATURE.

Any tips for gerudo players?

as Zora

Use your magic units. They do very good damage, devastate morale, and have a lot of ammo. Mage cannons are great. They are the singe most damaging weapon i've seen so far, and few units will stand up to more than one or two full hits before breaking. Keep in mind they only have a few shots in them (3 per cannon i think). Mage spires are only really useful when defending a settlement. They do a lot of damage, but not much more than mage cannons, and the fact they cannot move at all makes them near useless in a field battle.

Bigocto's have a reasonable charge, but are not very good at chasing things down. They are also pretty light cavalry, so don't put them up against anything particularly strong. Don't ever let them move through an infantry line. They do terrible things to unit cohesion. Use them as light-medium cavalry. Bigocto battle platforms are just elephants, so charge with them, but don't expect any miracles once they're in melee. Also be weary of running amok.

Zora infantry are your friend. they do average damage, have average armor and good morale. They won't crush the enemy line, but they will stand up to a lot of punishment. Shock troopers are not that great. they do more or less the same as zora infantry, and are usually not equal to the enemy heavy infantry. Infiltrators are strong, but there's only 20 of them in a unit, which makes them not very good. Get more mage or sapphire wardens instead. Healers make everything go smoother, as they inspire allies and frighten enemies. Get one or two units and put them behind your battle-line while chanting.

Against Zora

Target any magic units first. They are the real killers in a Zora army. A good unit of spearmen can deal with most Bigocto's. Zora infantry wil hold the line and don't break easy, but are not that strong. Surround and destroy.

GoldenGohma's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Xebenkeck View Post
    Universal strategy tip:

NEVER USE THE AUTO RESOLVE FEATURE.
    Rebuttal:I have yet to lose an Auto Resolve against a force that has an equal amount of units in it while playing as Darknuts.

Reinforcement: I have yet to win an Auto Resolve as Kokiri despite using two full stacks against a city staffed by four light infantry units. Twice.

Conclusion:Certain factions control the Auto Resolve feature, some are oppressed by it.

. . .

M'kay, I'll say something more useful.

Gohma - Grand Campaign

One of your most useful assets will not, in fact, be your Armogohma despite their strength.

Cheap surround capability. For the price of an initiate the Gohma can field 504 (+1 general) Gohma larva separated into four units. Do not send these units straight at your enemy in this case. Even against these numbers an equivalent cost unit, such as a pair of Hylian Recruits or Gerudo Marauders, can win.

A surrounded unit, however, cannot defend against even finger pokes (of doom). The units will be stun-locked by the sheer number of weak attacks they receive. Four units of maximum size go a long ways in easily surround an otherwise larger formation.

As for using Larva in choke points, it heavily depends on whether you are holding are pushing through the point. Larva and only larva in a chokepoint is a difficult situation.

Holding/Defending:Units fighting on the frontline become tired as they fight. By having a superior number of units you have superior rest-fight-rest rotation. As a unit begins to take excessive damage or becomes tired send in another via charge. Do NOT pull out the defending unit too early or your enemy will break through the chokepoint. At the same time if you leave the unit there too long they may become locked between their reinforcements and their attackers. Two important things to note about this strategy:

1. Keep the reserve close enough so they can reinforce the line while at the same time keep them far enough that they can build up momentum and charge the enemy, adding damage and creating a possible opening.

2. This strategy is designed around an early game fight against melee foes. Be wary of the effect artillery and missile units, even your own, have on this strategy and the next. What you will have to do in that case is up to the situation.

Breaking/Attacking:You will need a coordinated attack here. Use as few units as necessary to begin fighting on the enemies line. You will again need to tire out the frontline enemies while keeping a fresh reserve. Rather than rotation, however, try to prolong the enemy while making sure they do not break through. Once your unit begins to break down and become weak, you should pick a singular unit out of the army and then can either send it to reinforce the front and tire your enemy further. . . or you can amass all your remaining units (besides the reserve) into a single large charge designed to simply wash over an exhausted opponent. If you don't break through the line this is where the secondary reserve comes in-the enemy has been damaged and still hasn't the chance to chase down it's attackers because you are now using another line of larva to delay the enemy for an extended period. A second charge can be devastating against a line, and once you have broken through into open area your remaining units can still surround an enemy for damage that stretches beyond their stats.

I'm sorry for the wall of text, but you get the idea now, don't you?

Arise, my army!

Darknuts don't seem to be accurately represented on the auto-resolve screen. Battles that are auto-resolved as close defeats can usually be won handily when fighting manually. This is my experience at least.

^Thank you.

Auto Resolve is. . . very complicated in many games. There are times where using Auto Resolve is, well, STUPID because even a basic player would incure less than half the loses. On the other hand I've occasionally used Auto Resolve (in other games, mostly) to actually WIN a battle wherein the computer would have crushed my forces.

It is mainly a problem of looking for a pattern as to when the Auto Resolve is the better "commander" (Cheater!) and when it is the "fool." (Snake eyes.) Effectively using both has gotten me a few victorious campaigns in games I would have otherwise lost using only one or the other.

Arise, my army!

Stupid double post. Ignore and delete when possible.
    Last edited by GoldenGohma; December 19, 2012 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Stupid double post is stupid

Arise, my army!

TheHylianJuggalo's Avatar Senator

Labrynna

When fighting AI, on a standard battle, bring a massive wall of barricades. Generally, you will be unable to lose. If you're still not sure, bring ten or so units of baricades, 2 cannons, three crossbow squads, and the other five, mechs and Ambi's knights.

If defending a settlement, have approximately five strategically placed barricades, and a horde of heavy infantry. No artillery or mobile ranged weapons necessary.

if attacking a settlement, 3-4 barricades, placed at the main gate (to gun down the people who WILL come out to fight, hold them off until they run back inside. Have a reasonable mix of all units, but never use Tokay. Cannons should be placed to the side of the barricades and set to explosive shells, and all emplacements should be set to fire at will. once basic defenses and the main force have been dealt with, move your mobile units in. Fall back if you are CERTAIN the AI will chase you outside (so you can gun them down again) otherwise, divide and conquer with your forces, and surround them at all angles like a Gohma player.

HAS NOT BEEN TESTED AGAINST HUMAN PLAYERS
    Michael Scott Meisenhelter - 3/3/1963-11/4/2015
    -Lost, but not forgotten. Baptized by fire.-

When I die,
    Show no pitty,
    Send my soul to Juggalo City.
    Dig my grave six feet deep,
    Put two matches by my feet,
    Put two hatchets on my chest,
    And tell my homies I did my best

Quote Originally Posted by TheHylianJuggalo View Post
    bring ten or so units of baricades, 2 cannons, three crossbow squads, and the other five, mechs and Ambi's knights.
    Is it wrong that I read that to the tune of "twelve days of Christmas"? XD

Quote Originally Posted by Aegix Drakan View Post
    Is it wrong that I read that to the tune of "twelve days of Christmas"? XD
    No... it's like, a week away.

When I die,
    Show no pitty,

Emrys's Avatar Primicerius

@THJ
    I would refute the uselessness of Tokay and I am also an advocate of using gunners in defense of cities.

To use the Tokay effectively you need to look at them for what they are. A weak slave unit that is bad in a fight. However, they are far more useful when used as a distraction or as a meat shield to allow your gunners more volleys. It doesn't matter how many Tokay you lose due to friendly fire or being swarmed by enemy hordes. Remember that they are plentiful, cheap, and most importantly, expendable. And plus, they do this willingly for a pretty brass hat and some clothes.

On using gunners in a city, their ranged attack lends them a good place as initial wall troops and when the enemy comes with ladders, retreat them to the side roads and position them so they can let loose at least one barrage. It only takes one close range volley to break many units.
    Last edited by Emrys; December 17, 2012 at 08:49 PM.

zacen299's Avatar Senator

I'd give my Ordonian strategies but something with them and moblins crash me (I'm still convinced it's those goddamn miniblins overloading my computer, I am tempted to try a re install though but I'm currently back to Rome for a while I do love the occasional bout of roman style combat.).

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Emrys View Post
    @THJ
    I would refute the uselessness of Tokay and I am also an advocate of using gunners in defense of cities.

To use the Tokay effectively you need to look at them for what they are. A weak slave unit that is bad in a fight. However, they are far more useful when used as a distraction or as a meat shield to allow your gunners more volleys. It doesn't matter how many Tokay you lose due to friendly fire or being swarmed by enemy hordes. Remember that they are plentiful, cheap, and most importantly, expendable. And plus, they do this willingly for a pretty brass hat and some clothes.

Yeah for this game the Fluff seems to be a good place to find basic battle strategies. Also to be honest there is one end all solution for Ordonians that will never be fixed. Goat Lords Goat Lords everywhere the moment you get enough cities to create them at that point it turns ridiculous (add in generals and Bo) things die so stupidly fast.
    Last edited by zacen299; December 17, 2012 at 08:54 PM.

Emrys's Avatar Primicerius

The Kingdom of Hyrule
    Balance

One playing as the KoH has three things to know about their chosen faction.

One, they do not excel in any one type of combat.
    Two, their best units are quite expensive and take long times to train leaving them with many militia units (Think Gondor from TATW).
    Three, they are best when defending.

The Beginning Army- As you start the game with a weak economy it pays out to not buy the best troops early on. A group of cav militia and swords recruits can serve the purpose of Knights both mounted and not, and are cheaper too. Base your army off of your cheap recruits and town guards, and support them with cav recruits, to hold a line and advance on the enemy while the cav makes hammer and anvil strikes. If you are quite confident with your economy, throw a few crossbow units and a castle guard or two to supplement your main army.

Use diplomats to get as many alliances as possible while attacking the Gohma with as much prejudice as is possible. They will always find ways to make your life hell. As a whole avoid war and build an economy.

Midgame Army- At this point you most likely have a solid footing; a few allies and a solid amount of coin production. Now you can shape your army into a respectable fighting force and begin your conquest. Your base will now shift to Hylian infantry, footknights, and castle guards supplemented by at least one trebuchet, some mounted knights, and a few crossbowman. You will be using the Hammer and anvil of the beginning with a bit more aggression as well as another formation, the schiltrom.
    Some call this the "noob circle" but it has merit. It sees use when you are heavily outnumbered and surrounded or facing a faction that lacks decent ranged attack. Creating a box of Castle Guards and placing crossbowmen and trebs inside creates a semi mobile fort Also placing some knights inside as an attack force that can sally out to weaken enemies can be effective. Always have some light cav on standby if you chose to use the schiltrom. You run the risk of being enveloped and destroyed if you do not support.
    Against factions with a specialty in breaking through lines, such as Ordona, a different strategy is needed. Here, it would be wise to invest in some Ironclad Elites as they can hold a line far better than most other "Human" infantry.

Late game tactics and composition are quite similar to the midgame.

Use the hammer and advancing anvil when faceing the Zora, Gorons, Darknut, Lanayru, Lizalfos, Gerudo, Moblins, and Labrynna.

The Schiltrom is useful against the Gohma, Kokiri, Ordona, Ikana, Lanayru, and the Twili.
    Last edited by Emrys; December 17, 2012 at 10:46 PM.

Has anyone had much battle effectiveness with the fairies? My experiences from custom battles weren't that great and haven't been as or fought them in campaign.

Windrider37's Avatar Centenarius

@Matt: The only factions i saw control the auto resolves were the Kokiri and Labrynna, and ONLY when they have their Barricacades in their castles/armies.otherwise, i generally crush Kokiri first, as they like to make fullstacks loaded with Barricades, making a fight against them hell. After i make alliances, and generally let my allies pick the wars, in which case i would join in .
    My Skype and steam name is Windrider37 on both. I love chatting and playing games if someone would like to do either ^.^

I've only played the fairies once, but I'll say this: head on attacks are straight up idiotic. Since most units in the army are ranged to a degree, try and keep your distance and gun them down from surrounding angles. Preferably with the Essence's Shiny Pink Crotch Laser of Doom.

If you end up taking over Labrynna, Subrosia, Horon, Deku, and the surrounding rebel locations, you can field a GIGANTIC army of basic troops, at which point the game is like infecting everyone with a viral blanket of herpes.

When I die,
    Show no pitty,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast