View Poll Results: Basic Military History Leaders class (101)?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would love this!

4 26.67%
  • Yes, I might not be able to do it but I think it's good!

4 26.67%
  • I need more information before I decide!

4 26.67%
  • Nope!

3 20.00%

Thread: Basic Military History Leaders class (101)?

Indefinitely Banned

Icon5 Basic Military History Leaders class (101)?

Would anyone here be interested in a basic military history class on some of the most famous leaders there is? I think it be interesting for people to learn about generals of all eras, Ancient,etc..., because if you playing as them on SP and only know a bit about them, would you not like to learn more?

Default Re: Basic Military History Leaders class (101)?

Quote Originally Posted by ELITEOFKINGWARMAN88 View Post
    Would anyone here be interested in a basic military history class on some of the most famous leaders there is? I think it be interesting for people to learn about generals of all eras, Ancient,etc..., because if you playing as them on SP and only know a bit about them, would you not like to learn more?
    I'd love to learn more about leaders during The Rome Empire and ancient Greece

I agree. I would love to.

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I would definitely want to take that class.

i wouldnt really care for this class but a class of military stratagy theory would be cool.

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

I think it would be useful if you laid out more of what you intend. What's the time scope? From the founding of Ur to the present? Or something smaller? What criteria will be used to determine famous? Battles won? Political impact? Both?

Perhaps more importantly, whenever a new lesson is presented will it be extensively sourced from both online and monograph sources so that anyone interested can check the information and acquire more? And once a person reads the lesson plan, how exactly will they be quizzed in such a way that's not simply cross-referencing the lesson and copy-pasting facts? It seems to me that any demonstration of knowledge we could devise for the forums would be an open book test, and those only work when the material is broad and there's a strict, short time limit.

A history class seems quite hard to do given this forum format, but maybe I'm wrong and that can all be addressed. If not, why not consider making a series of threads in the VV?
    Last edited by Augustus Lucifer; December 13, 2012 at 08:18 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Augustus Lucifer View Post
    I think it would be useful if you laid out more of what you intend. What's the time scope? From the founding of Ur to the present? Or something smaller? What criteria will be used to determine famous? Battles won? Political impact? Both?

Perhaps more importantly, whenever a new lesson is presented will it be extensively sourced from both online and monograph sources so that anyone interested can check the information and acquire more? And once a person reads the lesson plan, how exactly will they be quizzed in such a way that's not simply cross-referencing the lesson and copy-pasting facts? It seems to me that any demonstration of knowledge we could devise for the forums would be an open book test, and those only work when the material is broad and there's a strict, short time limit.

A history class seems quite hard to do given this forum format, but maybe I'm wrong and that can all be addressed. If not, why not consider making a series of threads in the VV?
    Certain times, from as early as I myself can to modern. I will look at battles won and the impact, why they won and why they lost.

I will type up lectures, from small ones to mega ones. I will give links, pictures and so on. I will link people to books they may buy on Amazon or other places, I like the Osprey books, they good starting books, for example. I will come up with different questions for tests and they can e-mail me or PM me here.

I will try to make it work if there is enough support, it seems like I am getting off to a good start .

I think there are resources on the net where you can design a quiz online that has a time limit. However, the best way to test a person's knowledge is to have them choose a case study and analyze it using the key concepts taught in the class. The big problem with this approach is major battles would have a ton of analysis done about them so plagiarism would be a big issue. The solution is to discuss major battles, but have the students do less important ones. This would change the focus of the course however.

---

The Forgotten's Avatar Domesticus

So there is actual work? How bad is it? I am still in school and would prefer not to add a lot of extra work onto what I have. Also the idea sounds great.

Many thanks to the good folks down at the Graphics Workshop for the sig.

looking forward to your class starting brother

Treva ★'s Avatar Primicerius

I'm in.
    The tentacled horror from beyond my stars spoke, and von Neumann help me, in my madness, I understood its words.
    СИНДИКАТ!
    Dè a tha Montrose Mór ag ràdh?
    Heavy Metal will never die. - Sir Christopher Frank Carrandini Lee.

Indefinitely Banned

I just came back from a 4 day computer break so I should have this finalized in the next 48 hours . Get ready.... students !

Bonez's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Alright, add me to the list if possible.

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Don't count on assigning large texts or walls of "lecture" text for assigned reading. As has already been pointed out, the standard format of lecture and exam doesn't work too well in this environment. Remember, people will be doing this in their limited spare time, not for a university credit, student's will get tl;dr syndrome really quickly. There are many challenges for getting a history course to work here. Lesson structure is one of them; they need to be engaging and have some interactive elements. Assignments/exam is the other part. The more I think about getting something like this working, the more complicated it gets.

Shea O'Gorath's Avatar Primicerius

Im interested but time is a major factor.

I have returned

Indefinitely Banned

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=579967

OK guys! Also, don't forget about this thread as well !

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Closed, as this potential professor definitely won't be teaching this class.

Should someone qualified wish to pick this up you may start a new thread about it.