Thread: End of the Line: Ashikaga Shogunate AAR

Default End of the Line: Ashikaga Shogunate AAR

Hello there chaps, after a moderately long break, I decided to write a second AAR. What inspired me was the excellent Shogun 2: Total Clans mod. That, and the day of Armageddon is especially suitable to start an Ashikaga AAR on, is it not?

End Of The Line

Ashikaga Shogunate AAR
    Over two hundred years has passed since Ashikaga Takauji rose to power and established a shogunate. A shogunate which, at the dusk of the Onin War, has lost all semblance of authority. A shogunate which, like shattered glass, fell apart with a sorrowful clatter, never to be restored. But behind the tattered visage, ambition still lurks. The glory is not yet forgotten; the humiliation is not yet forgiven. Behind the mighty walls of Kyoto, the Ashikaga plot their return; and behind the Ashikaga, the obscure Imperial court is not idle either. But what can they accomplish, at this point in the age?

Characters

Ashikaga Choushin
    Seii Taishogun of All Japan, incidentally. A man with strange looks, and with thoughts stranger still, he is considered to be a mysterious figure even by his associates.

Princess Eiju
    Second daughter of Emperor Go-Nara. As the wealth and influence of the Imperial court hits an all-time bottom, she is relentless in her quest for a means to change the situation... any means.

Masakado
    Captain of the Great Guard and supervisor of the Shogunate's information network. Thought he's getting a bit dusty, both figuratively and literally speaking, he still has some 500 years of experience as a warrior.

Default Re: End of the Line: Ashikaga Shogunate AAR

Chapter 1: A Bit of a Predicament

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Kyoto, 1545. The days of spring pass quickly, and the Shogun spends his time playing shogi at the Imperial palace.

Ashikaga Yoshiharu: Pupiii!
    Princess Eiju: I win again. Another round?
    Ashikaga Yoshiharu: We've been playing for almost five hours. Isn't that enough?
    Princess Eiju: Giving up already?
    Ashikaga Yoshiharu: No, I'm just giving you an opportunity to take a break before I crush you.
    Princess Eiju: You said that before every game. Admit it, you're a terrible at strategist.
    Ashikaga Yoshiharu: Bah! I'm just going easy on you. The greatest strategists of Japan can't hold a candle to my strategic skills. Otherwise I wouldn't be Shogun!
    Princess Eiju: Why don't you control all of Japan with your grand strategy, then?
    Ashikaga Yoshiharu: You have a point.
    Masakado: My Shogun, if I may interrupt, I have some things to report.
    Ashikaga Yoshiharu: Go ahead.
    Masakado: According to your commission, the Nihon Maru is complete and awaiting you at the port.

Ashikaga Yoshiharu: Excellent! Wait... what port? We don't have a port.
    Princess Eiju: Maybe it's an undead ghost port?
    Ashikaga Yoshiharu: Let's not press the matter. By the way, Masakado, you said "some things". Is there other news? And what's that enormous stack of envelopes you have there?
    Masakado: Yes, about that. There has been a change in our diplomatical status recently. May I present to your attention these letters from the glorious Shogun's subordinate clans?
    Ashikaga Yoshiharu: Diplo- wait. These are...
    Princess Eiju: Oh my...

Ashikaga Yoshiharu: Pupiiiiiii!!

After the initial uproar subsides, the Shogun calls all his retainers for a meeting, in order to assess the situation and decide on a cource of action.
    Ashikaga Yoshiharu: ...you two are the only ones here?
    Masakado: You don't have any other retainers besides myself, my Shogun.
    Princess Eiju: I came because I was bored.
    Ashikaga Yoshiharu: Bah. In any case, everyone and their cousin has declared war on us. Isn't there something we can do?
    Princess Eiju: You could send out a nationwide demand to cease hostilities. They are your subordinates, after all.
    Ashikaga Yoshiharu: Good idea. Give me some ink and paper.

Yoshiharu writes a letter to each of the clan leaders. No one replies.

Ashikaga Yoshiharu: Pupiiii!
    Masakado: At this point, they are not going to listen to anything you say. We should be the first to make a move by capturing the provinces around the capitol. I am certain that the major clans will not expect swift action on your part, considering how weak the Shogunate is in their eyes.
    Ashikaga Yoshiharu: We do have some sort of army, don't we?
    Masakado: No, we do not. However, Kyoto has a long military tradition and the best military instructors and compounds. Should we restore them to active use, we will have a definitive advantage over other clans.
    Ashikaga Yoshiharu: Tohohoho. Good. Go and make it happen.
    Masakado: As you wish, my Shogun.
    Princess Eiju: What about you?
    Ashikaga Yoshiharu: I was thinking of another shogi game. Up for it?
    Princess Eiju: Some warlord you are... and yes.

-----------------------------------------------------

After a mere season of preparations, Yoshiharu and Masakado move their freshly assembled group of ashigaru to the east, in order to assault the closest nearby city.

Ashikaga Yoshiharu: Oho. What have we here?
    Masakado: It appears the city has recently been taken by the Hattori, my Shogun. We should strike immediately, before their forces recuperate.
    Ashikaga Yoshiharu: You do that. I'll watch from right over there.

Iga Oboro: My lord, we are under attack by the Shogunate! They have breached the southern gate!
    Hattori Yasunaga: The Shogunate? Are you sure? I never imagined they would have the nerve...
    Iga Oboro: We have just finished the siege of this fort. Our troops are not in fighting condition!
    Hattori Yasunaga: Assemble them here and order them to stall the enemy.

Masakado: The Hattori forces have surendered, my Shogun. You can come in now.
    Ashikaga Yoshiharu: Tohoho. Quite satisfying to catch the ninja clan by surprise. What of the leaders?
    Masakado: Their bodyguard is slain, but it appears they have both escaped.
    Ashikaga Yoshiharu: I expected as much.
    Masakado: Should we organise a pursuit?
    Ashikaga Yoshiharu: No, organise a celebration instead. Japan has just had a taste of the Shogun's power!
    Masakado: ...

Not familiar with all the manga but a novel premise for sure. Good luck with the AAR.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Thanks chap! I know most people on this forum aren't too fond of anime graphics, but I find they do a decent job at giving characters some silly charm

Civis

Hehe I find this format rather interesting, keep it up. Also, Thanks to you I will be installing the all clans mod soon, I completely forgot about it!