Thread: [Tech Products] doubleTwist

Default [Tech Products] doubleTwist

Name: doubleTwist
    Company: doubleTwist Corporation
    Price: Free - although AirTwist costs US$4.99

Introduction:

I was and still am delighted with my Samsung Galaxy S3. When I first got it I loved everything about it, except the fact it didn't have a credible music player. The native jukebox was terrible, and above all I wanted something that sync'ed to my iTunes collection - which for all its faults stores my star ratings and play counts for my 15Gb library of of music. I (stupidly) looked for an iTunes app for Android, and unsurprisingly found nothing.

Problem.

Some time later I came across this doubleTwist app in the Google Play store. It looked good on the outside, and was free, so I decided "why not" and downloaded it. To my chagrin my S3 didn't have the USB Mass Storage mode, and doubleTwist wouldn't sync to it otherwise, so I bit the bullet and bought the premium AirSync feature which allowed for wireless syncing. A small leap of faith it was at the time, but I consider myself rewarded handsomely for US$4.99.

The interface was clean and well layered, and easy to navigate. You download a desktop application which looks - and acts - like iTunes. It automatically syncs to your iTunes library, including the star ratings, playlists, song names, album covers, etc. After that syncing the music to your phone is as easy as turning on the wifi on your phone and letting it sit. The music player has all the usual functions, and is easy to use.

The app also offers a Grace Note add-on which helps you download album covers. I didn't bother getting it, so not much to be said there.

Screenshot - desktop application

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Screenshot - app interface

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

(image credits to the company)

Pros:

• iTunes for Android - what is there not to like? Hassle free syncing of your music and a nice app to use for playback.
    • Good customer service - doubleTwist has a user forum where staff are quite active in responding to queries. I had an issue with non-English song names not showing up properly. Within a day someone had responded with the appropriate course of action. Bravo.

Cons:

• The need to pay for AirSync if you like me have an S3 or any other phone that doesn't support USB Mass Storage mode.

Conclusion:

Easily my best download from Google Play so far. If you are a frequent music listener like me and use iTunes there is no better app for syncing it to an Android phone. Having to pay for AirSync was annoying at the time, but considering the functionality it's delivered me so far, it was a very worthwhile investment.
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; December 08, 2012 at 10:56 PM.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Ascarona's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: [Android App] doubleTwist

Well the interface looks pretty nice, reminds me of Soundhound on an Apple phone. If all android apps had such a nice interface I'd start considering trying an android phone again.
    “Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Yeah that looks pretty good nice actually. A good review, will you be entering the RotM? +rep

More and more I'm thinking Android is the way to go.

Added to the Index.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Android is the way forward.

RotM - why not.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~