Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Germans

Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: Germans

CA makes any faction playable if it was important enough in the time period (Carthage) or if there are many players from the present-day nations which buy these games (Britons). So, Germans will probably be in for the latter reason.

Comes Limitis

Well also because they get kinda important mid-game.
    Quote Originally Posted by snuggans View Post
    we can safely say that a % of those 130 were Houthi/Iranian militants that needed to be stopped unfortunately

Comes Domesticorum

Nah, by mid-game, they're enjoying civilization and Romanitas.

|Sith|Galvanized Iron's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by RagingCroppy View Post
    So you would start the game playing as Parthia in Seleucia? Are you the Seleucids or the Parthians? You cant be both. Why not just have the option of playing as the Parthians when they revolt kind of like the civil war mechanic in Empire? The Parthians and Bactrians splitting could be the Seleucid's RD.

Also we should start another thread to continue this discussion. This isn't the thread for it.

Edit: New Thread for the confederacy idea.
    No you start as the Parthian sub-faction inside Seleucid Empire (you can of course choose any of the Seleucid subfactions) and you keep being part of it ruling your own part until you choose to revolt, then you change color to sharp pink and become Parthia which will include all your pocessesions and put you at Civil War with the rest of the Seleucid Empire.
    Also responsible for the Roma Surrectum II Multiplayer mode
    Rest In Peace Colonel Muammar Gaddafi
    Forward to Victory Great Leader Assad!

B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius

The Greeks were fighting, capturing, and enslaving northern 'barbarians' long before they went up against Rome. I think they should play an important role in the gameplay as in the fact that everyone at the time knew about them, traded with them, and probably fought them.

Quote Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
    The Greeks were fighting, capturing, and enslaving northern 'barbarians' long before they went up against Rome. I think they should play an important role in the gameplay as in the fact that everyone at the time knew about them, traded with them, and probably fought them.
    Yeah and than they got conquered by them damn Macedonians^^

Proud to be a real Prussian.

Guys seriously only 8 playable factions and you want to play as a tiny tribe that has one battle and loses? Sure they would make great AI factions but with only 8 playable factions I want to play the larger factions with a good selection of strong, well-known units.

Those "tiny tribes" managed to defeat Rome on several occasions and their lands were never conquered. The Factions Wiki page clearly states that "the playable factions represent key powers within the Greco-Roman, Barbarian, and Eastern cultures" hence we will probably see some sort of barbarian tribes. There will be plenty of Room for larger factions. I predict 2 at most out of those 8 will be barbarian factions.

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Yes I think they should be playable. Simply put, because of the fact that the Gaul tribes were all conquered. However, the Germans stopped the Romans from ever truly conquering them. It would be a strange choice (in my opinion) to not choose a group that never was actually conquered by Rome and choose one that was completely subjugated.

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiðinn Veðr: Total War

Der Phönix's Avatar Miles

The game doesn't end in 100BC. I'm very confident a Germanic faction will be among the eight. Most likely the Suebi, Cimbri or Teutons

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    CA makes any faction playable if it was important enough in the time period (Carthage) or if there are many players from the present-day nations which buy these games (Britons). So, Germans will probably be in for the latter reason.
    in this case Pontos must be playable. Pontos was most dangerous enemy of Rome.

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Arcathius of Pontus View Post
    in this case Pontos must be playable. Pontos was most dangerous enemy of Rome.
    Well it was playable as far as I can recall in RTW.

The game's campaign begins with only 3 playable factions, all Roman: Julii, Brutii, Scipii. Upon completion of a campaign, 8 additional factions are unlocked. The unlockable factions are: The Greek Cities, Egypt, the Seleucid Empire, Carthage, Gaul, Germania, Britannia, and Parthia. The nonplayable factions (in the campaign) are: Macedon, Pontus, Armenia, Numidia, Scythia, Dacia, Thrace, Spain, the S. P. Q. R., and the rebel faction.

Comes Domesticorum

Ah, guess I was wrong. Well, so long as Britannia isn't playable (fat chance) we won't see any different factions, IMO.

I really like to play as germanic faction, but to be honest - if the game starts 260-270 BC they should be a emergent faction.

The Suebians would fit most, as they pushed the Celts out of the area, before encountering the Romans.
    Additionaly we would have different suebian tribes like the Marcomanni, the Hermunduri, the Semnoni, the Langobardi with different agendas like the roman families.
    Last edited by Radzeer; December 10, 2012 at 09:17 AM. Reason: continuity

Guys, try to stay on topic. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngazi View Post
    Guys seriously only 8 playable factions and you want to play as a tiny tribe that has one battle and loses? Sure they would make great AI factions but with only 8 playable factions I want to play the larger factions with a good selection of strong, well-known units.
    According to your list we would have 5 factions in Anatolia so hardly more thought out Also Pontus and Armenia are hardly more well known than Germania. When common people think of enemies of Rome they think Gauls, Germans and Carthaginians so those 3 are the obvious Western factions, then there should be 4 factions in the East such as Macedon, Seleucids (includes Parthia), Scythians and Ptolemaics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ariovist View Post
    I really like to play as germanic faction, but to be honest - if the game starts 260-270 BC they should be a emergent faction.
    Only because they made no contact with the Romans during the first few years of the campaign? It is not as the Germans came out of nowhere in 113 bc to ravage northern Illyria, Gaul and Italy.
    They existed for sure also in 270 bc in Scandinavia, Northern Germany and Poland. From there they expanded to the south, southwest and southeast and engaged the Celtic world, Baltic peoples, Proto-Slavs, Thracians and Sarmatians before they came into contact with the Roman world.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Storm View Post
    Yes I think they should be playable. Simply put, because of the fact that the Gaul tribes were all conquered. However, the Germans stopped the Romans from ever truly conquering them. It would be a strange choice (in my opinion) to not choose a group that never was actually conquered by Rome and choose one that was completely subjugated.
    Well according to this logic playable factions such as Carthage, Macedon or Egypt would also be a strange choice.
    The reason why the Germans were not conquered in the same way as the Gauls are only based on location (further away from Italy and separated by the Alps) and low economic value. Contrary to most peoples opinion, the Romans have conquered Germania around 15bc and after the Arminius-uprising in 9AD they again subdued all the tribes to the Elbe (or have at least broken their will for any other uprisings in the near future).
    But the constant costs of military campaigns and necessary garrison troops for the next centuries had no relation to the taxes they could gain from such a low populated and in large parts uncultivated wilderness. So they decided to annex only small parts of southwestern Germany some decades later and paid some sort of ancient foreign aid to loyal chiefs beyond their realm in order to secure a stable order and economy plus good relationship in their neighborhood. And when this does not help they could always send expeditions many hundred kilometers deep into Germany (and modern Slovakia and Czech Republic) to erect temporarily forts or kill any insurgents.
    Last edited by Xerrop; December 10, 2012 at 10:04 AM.

@Xerrop: Romans did not conquer the vast lands of Germania, they just held a small part of Western Germany, most of Germania lay beyond the Elbe or to the North of it. The Romans did not conquer Germania becuase they got annihilated in the Teutoberg forest and Germanicus was unable to subudue the Germans simply becuase they refused to be subjugated like other peoples. If you read Tacitus you can see that the Romans considered the Germans to be the main threat and the Romans were very afraid of them.

Der Phönix's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Ariovist View Post
    Unless the game excludes all of Northern Europa I don't see how that would make sense