Thread: Hearts of Iron 3 TFH Won't Start on Steam

Default Hearts of Iron 3 TFH Won't Start on Steam

I had just installed on Steam Their Finest Hour and the game will not start. The launcher will start but when i try to start the game it disappears and nothing happens. Also when i try to start the game from the directory the original works but TFH has an error screen.

"This program can't start because tbb.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

I reinstalled the game a few times with no change. What should i do to fix this?

TheBromgrev's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Hearts of Iron 3 TFH Won't Start on Steam

Paradox for some stupid reason assumes people have the latest C++ distributable on their computers and thus never includes everything needed to install the game. It's dumb and pretty much forces people to register to their forum to read tech help stickies in order to actually play the game.

To fix the problem you need to download Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package from the Microsoft website. Just type that into Google or another search engine to get a link. That should get rid of the error.

I downloaded the C++ prtogram and reinstalled the game. But i am still having the same problem.

TheBromgrev's Avatar Ducenarius

Well, the tech support forum said to download what I mentioned to resolve that error, so I don't know what else to try. Your best bet is to register your game and ask in the Paradox tech support forum. You'll get much faster answers there and far more help than you will here.

CrazyShadowDami's Avatar Civis

just a little question, do you have any expansions? if yes, did sf or ftm install in seperate folder? tfh should be in seperate folder though. had similiar problem.

I found out it didnt work becuase i didnt have Semper Fi and For the Motherland. So i bought both and now it works. But what makes me is that it never said i needed the other two.