Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: - Who Am I? -

Default - Who Am I? -

Yes, it's time for a X-mas competition! The rules are simple: guess who I am, or rather what historical character hides in the text below. The portrait may be a clue, but don't read too much into it!

The first one who correctly guess who I am wins the round. But remember: do not edit your post. All edited posts will be disqualified from that round.

You're only allowed to guess one time per round. However, if I've declared your guess to be incorrect, you're free to give it another shot.

Everyone is welcome to participate.

Let the guessing begin!

- Round 1 - Gildo

Correct answer: Gildo
    Winner: Agent007

I am a Roman, although I am well aware that many look down on me and my people. They call us untrustworthy bandits and worse. They just don't understand our ways, I guess. But in all fairness, they're not entirely wrong. Just look at my own brother! A traitor and usurper to our Emperor! That's why I had to destroy him. Family is never easy. I've learned this the hard way. Blood may be thicker than water, but it's still only blood. And blood is cheap, a lot cheaper than grain, at least! Rome needs both, and I am the man to supply it.

I was a loyal subject of the Emperor, but when he died? Leaving the Empire in the hands of two boys? Well, let's just say I didn't serve one of the brothers as well as I wanted to serve the other. But then again, before his own demise, Honorius received his fair share of shame... But I hold the boy no grudge! After all, it was his wretched general, that Vandal half blood, I never could stand...

In the end I lost it all, even my life. One can say I was seduced by my own ambitions. The power and the glory. And, of course, the gold.

Ah, the irony. Defeated by my own brother! Yes, that's right! Another brother! The Gods must have been laughing. Speaking of the Gods, I was then finally betrayed by Poseidon himself... But my blood was not theirs to spill. I took care of that myself. Maybe not with a sword, but who cares? I died as a man. I died Roman.

- Round 2 - Orestes

Correct answer: Orestes
    Winner: PSEUDO ROMANUS

Well, well, well. Where to begin? My career is quite extraordinary, to say the least. First of all, I am a Roman, no matter what anyone else say. My father may have been a pagan, but I am surely not. I guess many a Roman would consider me a traitor of sorts, but I only did what was necessary. And just let me point out that it was the Emperor who ceded my land, not me!

I am well travelled, you might say. Bumpy roads, terrible food and dirty inns, yes, I've seen them all. It's hard to drink putrid wine and eat stale bread when you've grown accustomed to the finer things in life. I've been to Constantinople twice, you know. My Master sent me there to see the Emperor himself. Not the Eastern one, the other one, yes. A remarkable city nevertheless.

Well, when my Master died, I was quite relieved, to be honest. Don't get me wrong, he made me very rich, and through his service, I made many useful friends. But he was a barbarian in the true sense of the word. Most unfitting his death was, oh, yes. But who am I to speak of such matters? Lost my head in the north of Italy, so I did. Most unfitting.

- Round 3 - Phocas

Correct answer: Phocas
    Winner: Renatus

I have no regrets. I did what I had to do. What honour and duty demanded of me. It is simple. I was a soldier. I was raised a soldier. Take orders, give orders, that is what we do. We don't betray our brothers. We strike hard at those who stand in our way. Our way. The soldier's way.

I was not born in a palace, or the halls of some fancy nobleman. I was not born for the purple, but it was placed on my shoulders all the same. At best, the aristocracy tolerated me. But I knew they hated me, maybe even more than they feared me? Who knows. I will never forget that day in Constantinople. The laughter of the senators and courtiers. I could stand the taunting, even when they slapped me in the face, I did not flinch. A good soldier can take a beating, and the soft womanly hands of a few senators didn't bother me. But the laughter? I could never forget that sound. How it bounced back and forth off the cold marble walls. It haunted me. My brothers were dying, and these dogs, these noble dogs, were laughing.

Well, the next time I went to Constantinople, nobody was laughing. But then again I took my brothers with me, and I assure you, they are no laughing matter.

- Round 4 - Ricimer

-The following text was written by Lionheart -

Correct answer: Ricimer
    Winner: Gäiten

I'm son of a king and my mother was a princess. I shed my blood for the empire and then with my courage i raise armies and fleets and did my best to save the empire. However since only fools were around i decided to go a step further. If the rulers were incapable i simply needed to create new ones, more than a time i did it by then i was far more greater than any ranking noble of the empire that ever existed. The only thing i was unable to predict is that a hemorrhage will take me of guard in the end and right about when my power was more great than ever.

Last edited by Joar; May 30, 2013 at 03:54 PM.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: - Who Am I? - A X-mas Competition!

Hmm... Died in a naval battle...

Who was the emperor of the eastern half of the empire under constantines rule? Like in 324 or something? Can't remember his name.
    Last edited by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius; December 08, 2012 at 08:31 AM. Reason: typos damnit

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Coooooool! A game! I like the games! Thanks Joar!

Heraclianus!.......(I read 'The Navigatio' of SBH so......)

Whoa Joar! Nice 2d graphics and portraits! (Have to spread some rep)
    炸鸡

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    Hmm... Died in a naval battle...
    No, I did not...

Who was the emperor of the eastern half of the empire under constantines rule? Like in 324 or something? Can't remember his name.
    Licinius? And, no, he's not the one. Guess again!

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Coooooool! A game! I like the games! Thanks Joar!

Heraclianus!.......(I read 'The Navigatio' of SBH so......)
    A good guess, but I'm afraid not. Guess again!

Quote Originally Posted by BroskiDerpman View Post
    Whoa Joar! Nice 2d graphics and portraits! (Have to spread some rep)
    Thanks!

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

Mark Anthony ?
    Texture works by Sertorio, banner courtesy of Joar

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

Quote Originally Posted by Sertorio View Post
    Mark Anthony ?
    Afraid not, but a good guess!

I've updated the OP with some more clues...

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Now it is quite easy Stilicho

Quote Originally Posted by demagogos nicator View Post
    Now it is quite easy Stilicho
    No, but he ( Stilicho ) played an important part in my life, or should I say... death!

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Oh, know I know shame on me
    Great idea to the game Joar

Quote Originally Posted by demagogos nicator View Post
    Oh, know I know shame on me
    Great idea to the game Joar
    Now that I've confirmed your guess to be incorrect, you are free to guess again.

Ummm... time to name one of the few names I know from this period

Alaric?

Quote Originally Posted by complete noob:( View Post
    Ummm... time to name one of the few names I know from this period

Alaric?
    Nope...

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

Rufinus fits most of the clues...
    Texture works by Sertorio, banner courtesy of Joar

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

legio_XX's Avatar Ordinarius

Masceldelus/Mascezel? I know he fought his brother in africa then was pushed into a river some time after... I knew I have heard that stroy before... I had to look all around to get his darn name right. well did I win huh huh huh? TELL MEEE
    "ANY person,country or race who use's religion as a pretext to kill or conquer deserves neither Religion nore Name"

Quote Originally Posted by Sertorio View Post
    Rufinus fits most of the clues...
    Yep, I agree with Sertorius (once again).

Art by Joar

Agent007's Avatar Civis

Definetely, it is Gildo.

Quote Originally Posted by legio_XX View Post
    Masceldelus/Mascezel? I know he fought his brother in africa then was pushed into a river some time after... I knew I have heard that stroy before... I had to look all around to get his darn name right. well did I win huh huh huh? TELL MEEE
    So, so close!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
    Definetely, it is Gildo.
    And we have a winner!

Gildo is the correct answer. The first round goes to Agent007. Congrats!

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Brilliant idea, Joar! Shame I only found it now and missed the first round. Will you be doing another?
    Last edited by SeniorBatavianHorse; December 09, 2012 at 06:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBatavianHorse View Post
    Brilliant idea, Joar! Shame I only found it now and missed the first rund. Will you be doing another?
    Yes, I plan to do a series of rounds. I've updated the OP with round 2 now.

Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast