Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: - Who Am I? -

Default Re: - Who Am I? -

well my opinion is that Engels did most of the work but Marx had a better PR and was more charismatic so he got more fame,i have no dog in this figth as i hate both equally =)

Gen.jamesWolfe's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Ragimund Von Wallat View Post
    well my opinion is that Engels did most of the work but Marx had a better PR and was more charismatic so he got more fame,i have no dog in this figth as i hate both equally =)
    I approve.
    I haz a culler!! (really, who gives a darn? its totally meaningless, and it doesn't really accurately reflect who I am)

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

I think that, given the fact that the winner of the last riddle doesn't seem wanting to post a new riddle, anyone else who has a good riddle may post it (a part Diocle, who is advancing this proposal, of course).

Then if the previous winner at some time comes back asking for his right to post his riddle, ....
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    .... he will be executed on the spot by the Agentes in Rebus.

Renatus's Avatar Decanus

I think that you had better do it after all, Diocle; no one else seems inclined to do so.

OK, then I'll try with this.

"My name, written in the language of Homer,
    was engraved on a stone and for someone,
    it was a fearsome name, a damned and cursed name.
    Do you dare to remember its sound once again, you mortals?"

Edit:
    Tuesday, August 19, 2014:

This is the first hint:

Renatus knows the name for sure, having read very well the book on which it's recorded, also SBH well knows the name, indeed SBH, for writing reasons, knows very well the name in my riddle ...

This is the second hint:

It may be very helpful, to find a way to solve the riddle about the mysterious name engraved on a stone, having some knowledge, or at least some interest in law and courts and trial ...

This is the third hint:

"A Tripod'. It plays a fundamental role
    in the tragedy connected to my name."

Last edited by Diocle; September 12, 2014 at 01:30 PM.

OK. Then, today, my dear guys, instead of the usual daily hint, we will try to make the point about this silly and extremely easy riddle, this because the weekend is not the right time for hints, but it's the right time for meditation, good readings and intellectual puzzles.

So, follow me please, what we have here?

1- A stone, with a name engraved on it, in the language of Homer (no, he's not Homer Simpson, Mag!).

2- This name is a cursed, fearsome and damned name.

3- We do know that two respected and educated forum members, Renatus and SBH, know for sure this name, especially SBH, because this name should be part of one of his immortal writings.

4- We know that the mysterious name is intimately linked to something concerning law, courts and criminal trials.

5- We know that the name is also linked to a tripod. You know, my dear guys, why the Romans (and the Greeks) used the tripods. Remember that the tripod is not only a beautiful ancient furnishing object, frequently the Romans used it to do something that was very, very, very important for them, and lately even pretty dangerous ....

So, waiting for Monday, good weekend to all, don't forget reading the Greek-Roman Classics, never cease to improve your Latin studies (especially the fourth declension, for many it's a nightmare) and don't forget the reasons for which we are all here talking and reading about the last centuries of the immortal History of Roma ...

Well a new week begins and a new hint comes:

If you ask me if the name is the name of a man or the name of a place, I would answer: ... probably both.

A new hint, this time I want to remind you the author who quoted this mysterious name, he is the man we all love more, yes the Greek soldier coming from Antioch, the writer who populated our dreams with his tales and unforgettable characters.

So at this point your work should be really easier ... I'll post few more hints and then I'll stop, because I don't want to reveal the name in my riddle (also for reasons of superstition).

Anyway, being like a III century usurper, because it wasn't strictly my turn, let me state that there is no need to solve this riddle to post your own new riddle, if you want.

Renatus's Avatar Decanus

I have an idea who it might be, although I am puzzled by the name being that of a man and a place. Does his name share some letters with that of an emperor?

Quote Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
    I have an idea who it might be, although I am puzzled by the name being that of a man and a place. Does his name share some letters with that of an emperor?
    Yeah, I haven't noticed the fact but, yes, the name share some letters with the name of one or more Emperors.

Just to give you another small hint about letters and names ...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Diocle; September 12, 2014 at 01:08 PM.

Renatus's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Yeah, I haven't noticed the fact but, yes, the name share some letters with the name of one or more Emperors.
    That does for my idea. This man's whole problem was that his name shared letters with that of a future emperor.

Fire your bullet, sir.

But remember please, all my hints are about the name itself and the story told us by the Antiochian about that name; let me say it's a tragic, terrible and absolutely sad story, it tells us the pathetic condition of the Roman Law during the Late Antiquity, it tells us the history of the moral and ethic phenomena occurred during transition between Paganism and Christianity, in the consciousness even of the most important individuals of the Empire, it tells us an interesting tale about the not easily understandable meaning of the word 'Fate' for the Romans, in fact for them the fate, even the most tragic was already written and, as for the Greek Tragedy, more you try to escape from it, more you find yourself involved in it, so yes, this name is strictly bound to a tragedy, or better to 'the Tragedy', in the most wide meaning of the term you can think.

Renatus's Avatar Decanus

I've had another idea. Could this name also be the name of one of the moons of Saturn?

I've had another idea. Could this name also be the name of one of the moons of Saturn?

Now, my dear, you need only to write it down ...

Renatus's Avatar Decanus

If I'm right, I'd rather leave it to someone else. I don't want to turn this into a two-man show!

If I'm right, I'd rather leave it to someone else. I don't want to turn this into a two-man show!
    Superstition? You? But, but, ... but cm'on, it's a Mediterranean tool!

Anyway what can I say? You have guessed the name but you don't want to reveal this damn name, OK! So, this is what I'll do: I'll wait few days, then I'll try explain all this riddle quoting directly the work of the Antiochian.

Renatus's Avatar Decanus

I'm not being superstitious nor dog-in-the-mangerish; quite the contrary, I would like someone else to have a chance. What I suggest is that we leave it a few days, as you propose, during which you could add further clues, if you wish. If still no-one else comes forward, tip me the wink and I'll reveal the name. However, I will leave it to you to give the explanation, as it's a complicated story and you could set out the reasoning much better than I.