Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Creative Assembly and SEGA Group have entered into a multi-title licensing deal with Games Workshop

Default Re: Creative Assembly and SEGA Group have entered into a multi-title licensing deal with Games Workshop

It would be nice if they made a good turn based game, I think. Turn based combat and strategic map, and various goodies on the battlefield, eg troops equipped with extra armor that shows on the battlefield (rather than just having a card that says "you have armor+1", special resources, fortifications, etc.

The Truth is Hate for those who hate the Truth.

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Default Re: Creative Assembly and SEGA Group have entered into a multi-title licensing deal with Games Workshop

Well they could just copy the system that they have in fantasy right now. It's a great system IMO and would work in a video game as well.

Hmm, too long since I played Fantasy battle so I barely remember the rules. How many upgrades is it for weapons and armor?
    And obviously it should be changing the skins for the units to display the upgraded armor or weapons.

And I'd love it if they would make it more sandboxy instead of standard missions gradually harder. Like take your band of mercenaries to whichever country/region you want instead of a default chosen path.
    Last edited by Úlfhéðinn; February 18, 2013 at 05:49 AM.

Historian - all things Viking Son of absinthia

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Úlfhéðinn View Post
    And I'd love it if they would make it more sandboxy instead of standard missions gradually harder. Like take your band of mercenaries to whichever country/region you want instead of a default chosen path.
    They could do both: like FOTS, I loved those historical battles that had a linear story to them. That's quality gaming, throw warhammer into the mix and you've got a masterpiece.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Didn't mark of chaos were like that too? A series of missions?
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Baal View Post
    Didn't mark of chaos were like that too? A series of missions?
    Mark of Chaos wasn't a good game. Nice graphics but the gameplay was silly and moronic.....

Yeah I know, I'm not arguing that. I meant the stile of gameplay. It was linear missions instead of an "open" world like total war where you don't have missions but merely generic goals.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.

Yeah I know, I'm not arguing that. I meant the stile of gameplay. It was linear missions instead of an "open" world like total war where you don't have missions but merely generic goals.
    I've been thinking about this for a little while and though I like TW's approach as a sandbox with historical factions, I actually loved being a mercenary in Dark Omen and shadow of fhe horned rat. Main reason being able to recruit whatever unit you wanted, be it dwarves, elves or Ogres.
    A linear story do have some advantages compared to an open world, but in the case of a linear story here's what I'd like to see:
    -A wide variety of different units to recruit *BUT a lot of units should exclude other races' units (or even same faction but competitive mercenary bands)
    -A good vs evil path throughout the game
    -Consequences for every action/decision
    -Upgradable units, both experience, equipment and upgradable commander
    -Some randomness or achievment dependence in which units you can recruit.

So I want to be able to play the game several times without it being the exact same game.

I do find linear campaigns also fun because it's like a movie, they give the makers of the campaign the options of trowing some surprises, twists and other things in there, specially when the campaign allows for ramifications, like actions in a mission deciding which will be the following one and it's characteristics (in this case linear doesn't apply much as a tree branched campaign).

What I dislike however is that in this kind of campaigns generally the recruitment of troops and building of infrastructure is left to the battles themselves (Dawn of War games are the perfect example). I find that not only unrealistic but distracting. Don't get me wrong, is fine to call in for reinforcements, occupy some abandon building or find some stranded troops to help you out. I'm not saying that Dawn of War games where awful either, but I would have like them better if they had a more "grand strategy" and a tad less of "Red Alert Economy" on them. For example in Dark Crusade it would have been awesome to have a building and a recruitment system beyond the "bodyguards" ala total war in each province, of course tailored to each faction and it's quirks. Instead we got the build up a base, build up army, terminate enemy, rinse and repeat all over the place. It was even more offensive on SoulStorm where your bases magically disappeared from the map once the mission was done, of course that was made for gameplay balance since the relative small size of maps building lots of defenses would kill off any invading force, an exploit many took advantage off.

However, I don't see why we can have both. Strategy games, at least the ones like Total War with turn based strategy and real time tactics sure can have both kind of campaigns, as The One Ring campaign on Third Age show us, with the right amount of ingenuity you can have linear campaigns on a game that is also a sandbox one. Increase the scope of capabilities of the engine to make more specialized missions and voila! You have yourself a game that can do both. Hell they could even charge for DLC's with neatly done linear campaigns of your favorite factions.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Baal
    However, I don't see why we can have both. Strategy games, at least the ones like Total War with turn based strategy and real time tactics sure can have both kind of campaigns, as The One Ring campaign on Third Age show us, with the right amount of ingenuity you can have linear campaigns on a game that is also a sandbox one. Increase the scope of capabilities of the engine to make more specialized missions and voila! You have yourself a game that can do both. Hell they could even charge for DLC's with neatly done linear campaigns of your favorite factions.
    My Lord, do you read the mind? have you paranormal abilities? Are you a wizard? This is exactly (also the words are the same) what I'm thinking from years! A dream but a wonderful dream!

Why nobody makes a game using these few, simple, fun, interesting, intelligent ideas?

+rep dear friend, a well deserved +rep!

The thing, I think, is that if they make such game then is game over for them. We wouldn't need anymore games, that engine would serve for all purposes and intents we would have (as for strategy games go). Jejejeje...

For a meager example we have the med 2 engine. People still make mods for it despite the years, meanwhile the mod section of Shogun 2 is getting more and more as used as messenger everyday.

I have been running around with this kind of ideas for a long time, really, if you like you can check out my wall of doom (link on the signature) to see some of my crazy ideas.
    Last edited by Lord Baal; February 20, 2013 at 04:52 PM.

I have always put the strenght of TW games in the massive, open world where you can do whatever you want, conquer whomever you want, explore wherever you want, and delve into unique, different factions, each with a different experience to give the whole world a new light.

If they ever did a Warhammer RTS similar to TW games, I'd rather they put linear campaigns in the backseat and put most of their effort on creating a huge, diverse and detailed world, because Warhammer is by no stretch of the imagination a small world, and it has absolutely no lack of details or perks.
    "He who wishes to be the best for his people, must do that which is necessary - and be willing to go to hell for it."

Let the Preservation, Advancement and Evolution of Mankind be our Greater Good.

And NO, my avatar is the coat of arms from the Teutonic Knightly Order because they're awesome.

Neither do Wh40K, however that's exactly what we have gotten so far.

Quote Originally Posted by SinerAthin View Post
    I have always put the strenght of TW games in the massive, open world where you can do whatever you want, conquer whomever you want, explore wherever you want, and delve into unique, different factions, each with a different experience to give the whole world a new light.

If they ever did a Warhammer RTS similar to TW games, I'd rather they put linear campaigns in the backseat and put most of their effort on creating a huge, diverse and detailed world, because Warhammer is by no stretch of the imagination a small world, and it has absolutely no lack of details or perks.
    I'd like to have both options: One TW style where you can choose between all the factions, and one linear mercenary style like Dark Omen and Shadow of the Horned Rat games from back in the days. They were awesome!

Would they be able to use the R2TW engine though?Here's to hoping they will be able to render magic and make insane animations for all sorts of monsters and warmachines
    Last edited by Úlfhéðinn; February 23, 2013 at 12:17 AM.

The TW engines have great potential for FB. I wonder how they plan on handling the 40k aspect. I think something in the trend of the DOW series would be cool, but it has been done already. Perhaps they could simply do something interesting with fully destructable terrain, replacing the training of units with a pre-defined army list (or more controversially filing request to segmentum command and hoping that the troops arrive before the battle concludes).

Then again, since it will be a 40k game i'll probably end up buying it regardless, and hoping for some of that sweet DKOK

I imagine something kind of total war with battles that look like the first Blitzkrieg game, only replace the WW2 paraphernalia with 40K paraphernalia and you are done.

However, even when SEGA has 40K the rights now, I think that they will left the work of 40K to the company that have been making it so far, meanwhile FB is already being developed by CA I think, which strongly points out to a completely Total War like experience on FB, or Call of Warhammer on steroids, or What-Mark-of-Chaos-Should-Have-Been. You get the drift.
    Last edited by Lord Baal; February 25, 2013 at 07:48 AM.

Actually we don't know if SEGA got the 40k rights when they bought Relic.
    According to Steam, GW signed a deal with THQ to make 40k games. THQ doesn't exist anymore so that contract isn't valid which means GW can give it out to whoever they think is worthy.
    Would be nice to know tho if Dawn of War 3 is still in the making and that the transfer to SEGA hasn't ruined it. I need my 40k fix.

Oh thanks for the correction my emprah! Right, then I wonder who would get that fatty prize! This mean no more dawn of war games for a long time I guess.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

I want my dawn of war 3. All of those games were so fun...

Oh thanks for the correction my emprah! Right, then I wonder who would get that fatty prize! This mean no more dawn of war games for a long time I guess.
    Well I wouldn't say that.
    I think GW will let Relic and SEGA continue to make WH40k games. Relic has been very good for 40k. Think I stated it before but I started to play 40k the tabletop game thanks to the dawn of war games and I'm not the only one that has done that.
    So as long as Relic makes games that sell and draw in new customers, I can't see the license going to someone else.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast