Thread: is nat. chi. supposed to be a japanese puppet

CrazyShadowDami's Avatar Civis

Default is nat. chi. supposed to be a japanese puppet

whenever i start the game in 1939, it is. however, when i look at historical scenarios available at the start of the game, the nat. chi. allways has romanic, instead of gothic letters (specific to axis nations). i can save-edit my way out of this, but is it really supposed to be like this?

TheBromgrev's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: is nat. chi. supposed to be a japanese puppet

The Republic of China was a member of the Allies, not a Japanese puppet. China's participation in WW2 was to tie up 80% of Japan's army, which was instrumental in allowing the Allies to defeat Japan and is also the reason why China today has a permanent UN security council seat (a lot of people don't know why China has a permanent seat; it's because they were part of the Allies in WW2). Granted, the Kuomintang's army (aka the Nationalists) were the ones that did most of the fighting and are the people that placed China firmly in the circle of big winners in the war; the communist rebels simply annoyed the Japanese to death through terrorist acts. However, the PRC has the seat today since the ROC is confined to Taiwan and lacks the power the mainland can field.

So anyway, no, Nat. China shouldn't be a puppet of Japan in the historical scenarios. It should be neutral until Pear Harbor, then a member of the Allies afterward. The Chinese theater during WW2 was pretty interesting, and people in the US and Europe tend to not know much about it since the focus on WW2-related programs is either the Pacific Theater or western Europe. For example, Japan managed to invade eastern India for a bit before being turned back due to disease, which is something rarely mentioned in popular WW2 literature and TV specials.

For example, Japan managed to invade eastern India for a bit before being turned back due to disease, which is something rarely mentioned in popular WW2 literature and TV specials.
    Luckly William Slim got there and made them retreat from most of burma also!
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

CrazyShadowDami's Avatar Civis

So how should chinas diplomacy look like in 1939? Simply neutral?

TheBromgrev's Avatar Ducenarius

Part of the Allies in the Day of Infamy scenario and later, neutral before then. The font for the Allies is hard to distinguish between the font for neutrals, but Nat. China is definitely in the Allies starting with the Day of Infamy bookmark.