Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [RS2.5 AAR]Sparta: Rise of an Empire. [updated 2/6/2013]

Default Re: [RS2.5 AAR]Sparta: Rise of an Empire. [updated 12/03/2012]

Quote Originally Posted by Evalation View Post
    This AAR is not following any historical path, nor am I trying to simulate a historical accurate army. Im just using my imagination on this one to make a good story.
    yeh, I know, and its good! Thats what I do aswell

dont take it as critcism, Im just musing really, about what EB would be like if it had marine units.
    Last edited by seleucid empire; December 06, 2012 at 09:00 AM.

Evalation's Avatar Centenarius

Yea this story is supposed to be about what if Sparta adopted the legion system nd went from there.
    "I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion." - Alexander the Great

Quote Originally Posted by Evalation View Post
    Yea this story is supposed to be about what if Sparta adopted the legion system nd went from there.
    have you read the malazan series btw?

No, I havent read it before. Is it good?

Btw im posting a new update soon, ive been busy with my rl job in the Marines, but ive been brainstorming about what the next chapter will be. So keep a look out
    "I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion." - Alexander the Great

Chapter 4: Civilian to Soldier.

Part one.

568AUC

Theseus and Mitiades finally caught up with the legion as soon as they were heading out of the gate of Athens huge wall. Gaurds could be seen above in the gate house holding their shields and watching as the legion headed out of the city.

When they met the officer in charge of the recruits Theseus handed him his enlistment papers, the officer took them and put them in a large pack on his horses left side. He then told Theseus and Mitiades to fall in behind the rest of the recruits, there were probably fifty to sixty men total. Some looked as though they were just boys, some looked about middle aged, probably in their thirties. Pretty much all of them had long hair and a few looked like they havent bathed in a month.

For hours they marched along the cobbled road first heading east, then turning south passed Korinthos. Eventually a trumpet blew a sharp tune and signaled for the men to take a rest. The officer in charge of the recruits barked out orders,

"Wander off too far and ill mark you down as a deserter, I suggest you just take a seat where you are and rest up.. well move out agian in the morning." He said as he trotted along the line on his horse. Theseus noticed the man was missing one eye, but it probably diddnt matter much because it looked as though he could handle himself in a fight without it.

Theseus and Mitiades ate some food, and got aquainted with a few recruits who had also joined up at Athens, Some were from Korinth, others from Argos and Thebes. Its fascinating to see all kinds of Greeks coming together and serving in one army, with one cause, and one banner it truly was a glorious acheivment on King Agesipolis' part.

Finally all the recruits fell asleep, even Mitiades who was snoring pretty loudly but it diddnt bother Theseus much he just smiled and turned over, moments later he found himself drifting off to sleep.
    -----
    "Rise and shine ladies!"
    Theseus jumped up as if he were just struck by Zues' master bolt.
    The man in charge was back on his horse rounding up the rest of the recruits to fall back into line behind the legionaries who were already standing in formation at attention awaiting orders to march.
    "Move or ill kill you myself!" shouted the man as he kicked his horse in the direction of a boy who was frantically trying to gather his things.

The officer then jumped off his horse and jogged up next to the boy.

"You worthless little waste of space, what in the name of Zues are you trying to do to my marching formation!" He shouted as he crouched down to get as close to the boys ear as possible.

"Sir I don.." he tried to get off before he was interupted by the officer agian.

"I diddnt ask for your damn opinion did I recruit, you will speak when I give you permission to speak, now pick up your bags and get moving!" He said as he picked up a bag and threw it at the poor kid.

"By Ares.. you think were going on a damn vacation!" he said as he slapped the boy in the back of the head and pushed him into line. He then stomped back to his horse and climbed back up.

"Sound the damn trumpet." He said as he rubbed his forehead as if he had a headache.
    Theseus took a look at all the recruits, they were all in formation and staring straight ahead as the trumpet played the tune to march on. Mitiades had a freaked out look on his face and looked at me like he was saying "how did I let you talk me into this.."

After long hours of steadily walking and listening as the recruit officer yelled and tormented other recruits they came upon a magnificent sight. Sparta.. the unwalled capital of souther Greece, it sat on the bottom of the hill in all its glory, troops could be seen doing drills outside the walls on what appeared to be training grounds, a massive temple sat square in the middle of the great city right beside the walled palace of the High King. The afternoon sun glistened off the rooftops of the houses and a flock of birds flew between the lare buildings of the civlian quater of the city.

Theseus hadnt noticed he stopped moving, he was so stunned by the sight of the capital city that he was having trouble taking it in.

"Why did you stop moving!" he heard the officer yelled, Theseus looked around to see if the other recruits were looking at him, and of course.. they were. Theseus was now left alone as the other recruits kept marching.

"What in hades are you doing boy!" he yelled as he jumped off his horse right in front of Theseus.

"Sir I was jus.." he tried to get out before he was cut off by an abrupt punch to the gut. Theseus fell to his knees, he couldnt breath, no matter how deeply he inhaled no air was coming through. The officer signaled for the recruits to stop marching while the legionares continued on towards the city.

"you will not speak without permission, you will show me respect or I will beat it out of you!" He screamed into Theseus'face who was still on his knees gasping for air.

"Get on your feet recruit." he said as he dragged Theseus up with one arm.

"You little worm.. you will not laugh, you will not cry, you are mine now boy mother isnt here to protect you!."

Theseus looked around frantically untill his eyes finally rested upon Mitiades who was standing behind the officer.

"Hey, look at me!" he said as he slapped Theseus across the face leaving a hand print on his cheek.
    The hit sent Theseus back to the ground, his face started throbbing in pain.

The officer diddnt let up, he crouched down right beside him and grabbed a handful of Theseus' tunic and lifted him to his feet.

"You think you can remember how to walk now recruit, or do I need to walk beside you so you dont forget?" He asked

Theseus diddnt know what to do, should he answer him, or wait for confirmation?

"Speak damnit!" he yelled as he stepped forward agian making Theseus flinch.

"Yes sir!" Theseus said as he looked back at him

"Yes I have to walk with you, or yes you can handle it?"

"I can handle it sir!"

The officer slapped him in the face agian but this time Theseus caught himself before falling to the ground, his face was now throbbing twice as bad as the first hit.

"I diddnt give you permission to speak!" He yelled as he stood Theseus up straight agian.

"Now.. which one was it?" he asked agian
    Theseus diddnt say anything, he just waitied for permission.

"Tell me now or I swear by the river styx, you will be my personal B!tch the whole time your here!" He was back to screaming now.

"I can do it myself sir." Theseus replied

"good, now I dont want to have to come back here, I dont think you want me back here either, so stop messing with my formation!" the officer then stormed off back to his horse and climbed up.

The recruits got back into formation and waited for the signal to march.
    When the trumpet sounded Theseus made sure not to do anything but look at the back of the persons head that was infront of him.

What did I get myself into.. He thought to himself as they got closer to Sparta.

There was no turning back now..
    Last edited by Evalation; December 09, 2012 at 02:54 PM.

Chapter4: Civilian to Soldier

Part Two
    568AUC

Once the recruits made it into Sparta they were transfered to a building where they were met by 3 more officers who began yelling and throwing them around like children.
    "Stand behind the line. you will look directly ahead of you, not to the side, not at the ground, not at the person next to you." one officer said as he was walking down the line of recruits who were standing at attention.

"Soon you will meet the King, he meets all fresh recruits before they began their legionaire training. So when you meet him, you will not look him in the eye, when he is done talking shout yes sir! am I understood!?"

"Yes Sir!" all the recruits shouted at once making an echoe inside the walls of the large building.

Just then a tall man wearing silver plated armor with a red and gold trimmed cloak pinned at his shoulders came walking into the building. This must have been Agesipolis because when he entered all the officers bowed their heads and stood at attention.

"Good afternoon recruits!" He bellowed into the room.

"Good afternoon Sir!" we shouted back.

"I know most of you come from different backgrounds, we have men here from the city of Athens, Argos, Thebes, and even a few Korinthians.. but I tell you, forget about all that.. it doesnt matter where your from, for we all fight for one cause, getting rid of those Macedonian savages and returning Greece back to true Greeks!"

"Yes Sir!" the recruits shouted

"Now I ask you, will you abandon your name as an Athenian, Argive, Korinthian, etc..
    and begin announcing yourself as a Greek!?" He shouted back as he walked up and down the line.

"Yes Sir!" all the recruits shouted back at him.

"Good, I now return you to your officers.. good luck men with hard work and training the next time I see you, you will be full fledge legionaires, listen to your instructors for they may be harsh and abusive, but it is all to get you ready for what you might face on the battlefield. Good night recruits!"

"Godnight Sir!" we shouted as he exited the room. Another man stepped forward, he was in the Eplekitoi armor, with a red cloak hanging down his back attached to his shoulders.

"Good evening recruits, first things first, I am Cleomenes and I will be your commanding officer at training and on the battlefield. The Agidias legion took some heavy casualties at their last battle when dealing with some rebels on the Island of Krete, so you will be filling the ranks. Is that understood?" he asked in a more calmer tone than what the other officers have been tolking in.

"Yes Sir!" we shouted at him

"Now follow me into the gymnasium to recieve your recruits tunics." He said as he turned and headed out of a side door in the large room we were in.
    About 60 recruits filed in behind him and making it difficult to squeeze through the narrow hallway.

"How you holding up?" Theseus asked when he realized he was shoulder to shoulder with Mitiades.

"Right now id be getting ready to put all the farmer equipment and meet you to go to the tavern where Mia will be waiting to poor us drinks, this is very different." He said as they sturggled and squeezed through the hallway out into a large opening that was the gymnasium.

"Oh my gods.." Mitiades said as he and the other recruits stopped and looked at how large the room they just entered was.

"Have you ever seen a room so big?" Theseus asked him as they looked around the room in awe with the rest of the recruits.

"Recruits!" our commanding officer said as he walked toward us.

"Fall into 3 lines infront of the three men in the center of the room." he said as he pointed into the center of the room which was covered in sand. So all the recruits, who diddnt even notice the three stout men standing in the center, began jogging up and forming three lines.
    Theseus was first in line at one station and he saw Mitiades a few men back on the line next to his.

"Pay attention recruit" the man said as he snapped his finers to get Theseus' attention.

"Here is your tunic with the recruit symbol, here is your soldiers sandals, and heres yourrecruits belt, now go to the officer standing behind me and wait for his instruction. So Theseus jogged up to the officer that was behind the oe who gave him his tunic along with 2 other recruits who had also just recieved their clothing.

"turn around and sit on this stool" he said as he placed a stool infront of him.

"would you like to keep your hair?" he asked, as Theseus took a seat.

"Yes sir." he said

"Well hold out your hands boy.. because here it comes." he said as he began to saw Theseus' hair with a finely sharpend knife, and in no time Theseus was bald and the officer then rubbed a foam onto his face and began shaving him, even though Theseus had no facial hair he couldnt figure out why he needed to be shaved but he diddnt argue.

"alright your all done" he said as Theseus began to get up and he held his Tunic close to his body. Theseus now looked like he belonged to the legion, even though he was still skinny as a broom handle he felt like he now fit in somehow.

He looked at all the other recruits getting their heads and faces shaved to reveil a shiny bald head and it made them all look like brothers, no one looked different then the next.
    Just then Mitiades walked up to him, Theseus diddnt even recognie him untill he spoke his name.

"Well my friend, how do I look?" He said as he held his folded tunic under one arm. and his sandals in the other.

"Different, very different." Theseus said as he and Mitiades began to smile.

"Well" Mitiades said as he began looking around the room, "looks like were not the only ones that feel different." He said as he and Theseus looked at all the recruits finding their buddies began exclaiming how everyone looks the same.

"Recruits Attention!" exclaimed our officer who had jogged up to us now that everyone was bald, and cleanshaven, and ready for the next step.

"This is your first step into becoming a legionaire, the legion is supposed to be a band of brothers, during your time here you will get to know all the recruits here with you, you will eat together, sleep together, and train together because on the battlefield it will just be you men, brothers of the legion fighting hard to save each other and accomplish the mission as hand, I will expect nothing less than you full effort, am I understood!" He said as he began walking down the line of recruits looking each one in the eyes.
    "Good, you may sleep here tonight, you will be issued beds tommorow, and by the way.. rest up good boys because tommorow all the fun begins."

Default Re: [RS2.5 AAR]Sparta: Rise of an Empire. [updated 12/10/2012]

Chapter5: Receiving the Mark

568AUC
    2 Months later.

The recruits were no longer the skinny weak little boys they were when they arrived, they were beginning to show muscle and a look very stout in nature, like the rest of the legion.
    About 20 of them were standing in a circle each of them awaiting instruction on the final phase of their training.

Mitiades was standing across from Theseus in the wide circle and he was thinking about how different they looked now to how they looked when they came into recruit training.
    Just then an instructor emerged from the crowd and started looking around the group of men looking back at him. He was a very stout individual with a hideuos scar running the left side of his face.

"Memnon.." Mitiades muttered under his breath as looked looked back at Theseus who was staring intently at Memnon as if trying to remember where he knew him from.

"Good evening recruits, I am Senior Drill Instructer Memnon of Sparta, I will be your hand to hand combat instructor, my partner Instructor Athiates will aid me in showing you how to perform effectivly on the battlefied in the case you lose your weapon." Memnon said as he held a hand out to Athiates who walked into the middle of the circle and stood next to Memnon.

The recruits started to look anxious to get started on the last phase of their training, they have been through hell the passed two months and were ready for some more hand to hand fighting training. The passed two month Mitiades and the other recruits were put through body and mind testing obstacals to get them fit for battle or forced marches. Mitiades couldnt count how many push-ups, sit ups, or running he has done the passed few months, so he too was anxious to do some more combat training for he and the other recruits have already mastered sword and shield fighting, all thats left to learn is fist vs fist.

"When all else fails these may be what saves your life, or saves you from becoming a prisoner of war." Memnon explained as he held up two balled fists.

"First we will demonstrate a takedown, Athiates charge at me."
    So Athiates ran full force at Memnon acting like he as going to hit him, but just as he reached where Memnon stood Memnon picked him up by the back of his legs and threw him down on the hard ground, it all happened in a matter of seconds.

"Did all of you see that?" He asked as he stood and looked around the circle of men.
    "Ill show you agian slower this time."

He then helped Athiates up and he walked back into place.
    "Now all of you watch closely.." He said as he bent down to grab Athiates' legs.
    He reached around behind Athiates' legs and put his hands right behind the knees.

"Once you are here you pull in tightly and lift up using your own legs" He said as he demonstrated by pulling in on Athiates' knees and picked him up without hardly any effort.

"Once you pull in on the knees your opponent will begin to buckle, you then lift up and throw him down with all your might"
    Memnon then put Athiates on the ground a bit more gently this time.

"Once your on the ground you are free to use any means necessary to kill your opponent.. notice I said kill, not maim, hurt, or make him submit.. kill your opponent."

Mitiades had been training to kill ever scince the first day he arrived at Sparta, he had almost forgotten that you could just hurt someone and be done, he ws being programmed to be a killer.. an effective one at that.

"Once hes on the ground place one knee on either side of your opponent, like so.. we call this the full mount" he said as he straddled Athiates.

"From here his head is your primary target.. take your elbow, thats the pointy end of your arm, and drill it into the mans skull, you can hit his nose, or throat.. all those places are primary points to kill and disable that opponent so you can easily move on to the next." he explained as he showed all the uses of using your elbow and various punch combinations on the different targets.

"Now how about we have a recruit demonstration." He said as he got up and helped Athiates to his feet.

"You, and... you! demonstrate what you have learned." Memnon said as he pointed to Mitiades, and the man standing next to him. Mitiades knew this boy, he arrived with Theseus and himself the same day.

His name was Praxinos from Olympia, Theseus and Mitiades have been spending alot of time with Praxinos over the last few months training together, eating together, and spending free time together.
    "Mitiades, good to see you agian.. hows the lip?" Memnon asked with a smile which made his scar look wicked and ugly.

"Its better sir, Athiates" Mitiades said as he nodded at Athiates who just nodded back and diddnt smile.

"Mitiades I want you to be the one defending... whats your name boy?" Memnon shouted in the direction of Praxinos.

"Praxinos Sir!" He said while snapping to attention, I dont think he meant to its just become a habbit to all of the recruits now.

"Praxinos I want you to charge Mitiades as fast as you can, Mitiades I want you to take him down and demonstrate what you will do once your on the ground."

"Yes sir!" Mitiades said as he got ready.
    Mitiades looked uo to the afternoon sky, thought of Mia back home and smiled as a slight wind blew his face with a gentle cooling sensation. He managed to block all sound out of his head. He cleared his mind and got ready to defend himself.

"Now!" Memnon shouted as Praxinos ran forward towards Mitiades.
    Mitiades waited, waited, then it clicked "Now" he said in his mind, he then lifted Praxinos off his feet and threw him to the ground all within the blink of an eye. Mitiades was now on top of Praxinos and full mounted him and began doing what Memnon had showed him by using the point of his elbow and showing where to hit his foe.

"Excellent!, everyone find a partner and practice." Memnon said as he helped Mitiades up to his feet then Praxinos.

"You are a quick learner Mitiades." He said as he patted him on the back.

"Thank you Senior Drill Instructer." Mitiades said as he looked Memnon in the eyes.
    The other recruits were now practicing the new moves and they all seemed to be already masters of the technique. Memnon was running all over the place yelling at recruits, throwing them around like they were little boys telling them to do it agian till they got it right. Theseus was practicing with a large man from the city of Thebes, Theseus was very quick and agile which helped him take down his opponent fairly quick. Theseus also was now very muscular in nature, as were the rest of the men here.

The afternoon sun was beginning to set over western mountains and Memnon gathered all the recruits around him.
    They were all panting like dogs who had been running around in the heat all day, which they have.

"Very good training today boys, im proud of all of you." Memnon said as he looked around at all the recruits.
    "Your final step of recruit training is almost over, get some rest tonight lads, for tommorow you can call yourselves legionaires of mighty Greece." He said as he dissmissed all the men.

Only Mitiades, Theseus, and Praxinos remained behind on the training ground.
    "Tommorow well be incorporated into the Agiadis legion boys." Praxinos said with a smile as he threw his arms around the necks of both Mitiades and Theseus.

"Im ready for the ceremony tommorow.. I cant wait to receive my armor and sword and defend Greece." Theseus said as he walked with his two friends back to the bed chamber of the recruit training camp.

"Greece isnt at war yet Theseus, we may not go to war agian in our lifetime, no one wants to mess with the legions of Mighty Greece." Praxinos said clearly mimiking Memnon.

Mitiades remained quiet, he was thinking of his beloved Mia, she had been sending him letters ever scince he left for training. She has left the tavern and moved in with her friend that now owned a weaving shop at the agora in Athens. He longed to see her face agian.

The three entered the chamber and found all the recruits getting ready for bed, praxinos went over to his mat and laid down and immidiatly started to dose off after saying goodnight to his friends.
    "He sleeps deeper than Hypnos god of sleep." Theseus said with a smile as he too layed out his mat beside Praxinos and Mitiades.

"Come my friend, let us sleep.. for tommorow we will be legionaires." Mitiades said as he layed on his mat and rolled over and closed his eyes. The room then became quiet as exhuasted recruits began fallign asleep as soon as their heads touched their hay filled pillows.
    ----
    In the middle of the night Mitiades was woken up bythe sound of men running threw the chamber with torches. They were in black robes and hooded so yo could not see their faces.

"No!.." Mitiades yelled as he knocked him unconcious with a wooden club.
    When he awoke Mitiades was laying on the sand filled ground of the gymnasium with all the other recruits around him, and standing in a square along the edges of the gyms floor were the men in black robes.

"Rise young warriors of Greece!" Bellowed a man standing on a podium infront of the recruits
    The recruits began to rise and found themselves surrounded by the hooded figures each with a torch lit between them.

"What is this!" Shouted a recruit infront of Mitiades.

Theseus ran over to him and shook his arm.
    "Are you alright?" He asked him
    "Yes, wheres Praxinos" Mitiades asked as he turned to face Theseus.
    "Hes over here come on." Theseus said as he dragged Mitiades over to Praxinos who was shouting curses into the ranks of the hooded men.

"Ah Mitiades how are you?" he asked as he turned to face the man on the podium.
    "Im fine, you?"
    "The bastards knocked me unconcious!" Praxinos said as he spit on the ground infront of one of the men.

"Recruits! welcome to the ceremony where you earn the mark of the legion." The hooded man at the podium bellowed which echoes throught the room.

Just then the men removed their hoods revealing all the instructors which beat them and tore them down the passed few months and rebuilt them into trained killers.

Just then men stepped forward with a fire lit couldron and placed it at the front of all the recruits.
    "You started out with well over sixty recruits, now only 20 remain. Some left due to injuries, others couldnt handle it and were sent home, you men have earned the right to call yourselves legionaires.. step forward and receive the mark."

Men started falling in a line while men stepped infront of them with a red hot metal pole with the emblem of the legion on the end of it, the Agiadis symbol was in the shape of the front of an old style Corinthian helmet that the hoplites of old wore into battle. infront of Mitiades stood Memnon who was in a black robe and a wreath on his head. He smiled and nodded at him and Mitiades nodded back.

"Your final test.. recieve the pain without screaming and you will be given your armor and red cloaks of the legion of Agiadis." The still hooded man on the podium exclaimed.

Just then the instructors one by one began burning the mark into the legionaires right shoulders. One man let out a scream and the line stopped, the instructor then threw the man forward and looked at the hooded man on the podium.

"He who shows pain and fear will not bear the mark.. remove it." He said coldly.
    The instructor then took out his field knife and began sawing the mark off of the mans shoulders and blood went everywhere.
    They closed his wound with a red metal rod and tossed him out of the gym.

The line then continued and not a single man screamed from there. Theseus, and Praxinos both took the mark without screaming then it was Mitiades' turn.
    Memnon walked forward and placed the rod agianst his skin. It was the most painful thing he had ever felt in his life but he dared not to scream. He balled his fist and held his mouth shut with all his might, Memnon then backed away revealing a design on Mitiades' should in the shape of the emblem of Agiadis.
    It continued on untill every man had the mark of the legion.

"Congratulations, you are now members of the professional standing army of Greece."
    ---
    Once outside the men filed into lines and stood at attention.
    "Legionaires! about.. Face!" Said the man in the hood who finaly removed it revealing the kings face underneath.

He then began handing every man his armor, shield, helmet, sword, and blood red cloaks himself.
    "Put on your uniforms" He said once everyone had their armor.

Mitiades ran a hand through the red plume on his silver helmet and put it on his head and tied the leather strap on the cheek gaurds. He then put on his chainmail and slung his kopis over his left shoulder, then he threw the red cloak around his shoulders and let it hang down to the back of his knees. He took the pin that holds his cloak together and rubbed it with his thumb and smiled. He then snapped it onto his cloak and went back to attention.

The recruits were now legionaires, everyone was standing at attention but some were smiling, some even had tears of joy going down their cheeks. They had made it.. they were now soldiers of the most feared fighting force on Greece.
    Last edited by Evalation; December 15, 2012 at 01:41 PM.

Default Re: [RS2.5 AAR]Sparta: Rise of an Empire. [updated 12/15/2012]

Chapter6: An Unexpected Guest

568AUC

Agesipolis sat in his chambers the rest of the night thinking how he should proceed with his plans to attack Macedonia. Should I make the first move, he thought to himself as he started to rise from his cushioned chair behind his desk,
    "No", he muttered under his breath as he glared at a giant map of Greece hanging on his wall.

"Philip, you must make the move.. and I hope you do it soon." He said as he suffocated the torch by the main door to his bed chamber which lit the room with a dim light.

He started to lay down and said a prayer to Ares as he pulled his cover up to his neck.
    ---
    The next morning Agesipolis woke to the sun beating on his face, he pulled back the covers and sat up in his large comfortable bed and looked out the window which gave him a clear view of his captial. People were scurring around the city square, stopping at merchant tables, or heading to the theatre to enjoy the morning play.

Agesipolis' room was filled by all the enchanted scents of the large bakery down the street.
    He then rose and put on his best chiton then walked out of his chamber, the palace guards by the door snapped to attention and bowed as he walked by. Agesipolis smiled as he continued to walk down his long hallway which led to his dining hall.

As soon as he entered the room he found his son standing by the window dressed in his armor running a finger along a silver laced gold cup.
    "Euneas?" Agesipolis said as he stopped in his tracks.

The young man turned around and smiled, "Hello father, good morning." Euneas said as he took another sip of wine and smiled.

"You did it, you passed the agoge" Agesipolis said as he walked to his chair and took a seat, his heart was racing because he had not seen his son in years now he appears before him all grown up and dressed in battle fatigues.
    Euneas walked to the oppisite side of the table and took a seat, his short blonde hair shined in the sun, his handsome features stood out with the muscular tone he had put on scince he was away.

"Yes, I passed just as my 19th birthday came to an end.. it was a nice present." He said as he filled his plate with some of the many foods that littered the table.

"But I am not here just to visit father, you must forgive me for that for I wish we could just talk like we used too.. but I come bearing some bad news." He said as he popped a piece of crispy bread in his mouth.

"Oh, and whats that?" Agesipolis look up from his plate towards his son who had lost his smile in the place of a frown.
    "Philip.. he sacked a village that is loyal to you, and he has besieged one of the forts guarding our frontier.. he has declared war on Greece father." He said with deress but with a hint of anger.
    Agesipolis leaned back and took in the news as Euneas spoke, Philip has declared war on him.. praise Ares, he thought to himself as Euneas finished.

"Euneas, are you ready to fight for Greece?" Agesipolis asked as he looked over the table.
    Euneas looked up quickly and almost blurted out.

"Yes! I mean.. I am ready to do my duty to you and to Greece father." He said as he got up and walked to his father and began to bow.

"My son.." Agesipolis said with a smile as he held up his hands. "You bow before no one.." He said with a smile that stretched from ear to ear.

"We shall destory Philip and his pathetic army father." Euneas said standing up.
    Agispolis got out of his seat and walked to the to the large window where Euneas stood moments before.

"My son with you commanding the front line.. there is no one on this good earth that could best us.. No one." Agesipolis said as he turned to his young son.
    Euneas just nodded and smiled.

"What shall we do?" He asked

"Pelops and I have already come up with a plan of action in the case Philip strikes."

"Pelops.. I dont trust that old man." Euneas spat. "He has always resented you for becoming the high king of Sparta, simply because your a few years younger then he."

"I am almost 51 Euneas, I am no longer the young man that I was when I brought Greece together into one nation.. and Pelops has always been loyal to me, he will command his legion and send it by sea up to Pella, we will march with the Agiadis up into Thessaly and releive the fort that Philip has besieged." He said as he put a hand on his sons shoulder.

"No Macedonian is allowed to enter southern Greece without my say, Phillip has broken the agreement of the last war, it shall be his last mistake." Agesipolis turned to face the city stretched out before him, clasped his hands together behind him, and smiled.
    Last edited by Evalation; December 23, 2012 at 01:18 AM.

Default Re: [RS2.5 AAR]Sparta: Rise of an Empire. [updated 12/15/2012]

Chapter7: War.

568AUC

Theseus and Mitiades rode with Praxinos up to the city gates of Athens which were wide open, the grand wooden doors cladded in bronze held many frescos of ancient Greek heros such as Jason, Achilles, Odysseus, and even Theseus. The two great figures that sat in the center of both doors was Athena, the patron of the glorious city.

"I have never been to Athens, it is so much larger than Olympia." Praxinos said as they rode into the city, the guards on the wall watched them ride in and nodded at them recognizing their uniform.
    Mitiades' silver helmet glinted in the sun and his red cloak hung neatly down his back, they were being watch by girls who were pointing and giggling, others smiling and making flirtatious gestures.

"I could get used to this, Theseus said as he smiled at Mitiades who also seemed to be enjoying the attention. Mitiades though had only one thought in mind, Mia, who he had been longing to see so much that he kept hurrying Theseus and Praxinos the whole way back home.

"Will you go with me to see her?" Mitiades asked Theseus as they found a place to tie their horses once they reached the Agora.

"Of course, she is my friend as well.. I miss her also." Theseus said as he smiled at his friend.
    Mitiades smiled back and began walked through the agora as he and his friends removed their helmets.
    When they reached the shop which Mia worked Mitiades stopped at the door.

"Whats wrong?" Theseus asked him
    "What is she doesnt recognize me.. what if she has found someone else?" He said as he lowered his head. Mitiades did looks different, all three of them did. They now had short hair, no facial hair, and were now very stout individuals.

"How could you think that of course she will recognize you, and what makes you think she found someone else?" Theseus asked,

"I havent recieved a letter from her scince my last one after we recieved the mark."

"I think your just afraid." Praxinos said as he tried to balance his helmet with one hand.

"I am not afraid!" Mitiades exclaimed turning around to Praxinos who just held up his hands.

"Sorry, then go in." He said, Mitiades turned back to the door and went inside. Once he was inside with his friends he began to look around at all the beautiful rugs, dresses, and covers that hung on racks or on the wall. He noticed movement in the back and started walking as he took a deep breath.

Theseus and praxinos started looking around the shop, acting like they were browsing, but really just keeping themselves occupied while Mitiades walked alone.

When Mitiades reached the door he heard laughter inside, the voices were that of two women, one he diddnt recognize, and Mias.. He gently pushed the door open and took a step inside.

He saw her, leaning up agianst a counter with her back towards him. Her friend was by a spinning wheel and she was pumping it with her foot while she was laughing along with Mia.

"Theres no one alowed back he..." She cut off right there, her smile became even larger than it was before.
    "Hello Mia" Mitiades said as he smiled and walked slowly towards her. Mia ran to him and jumped in his arms, Mitiades lifted her up off her feet and twirled her around.

He then came to stop and put her down, she put her hand on his face and laned up and kissed him.
    The two sat and talked for a while, Mias friend went out to talk with Theseus and Praxinos. Mitiades could here their conversation as she kept trying to sell things to his friends.

"I.. dont..want anything." Mitiades heard Praxinos, but the girl wouldnt let up.
    Mia and Mitiades laughed a bit then just sat there and smiled. Mitiades then reached towards his belt and pulled up a small pouch and put it in Mias hands, he closed her hand around it and placed his on top.

"Take this, use it to buy yourself something nice." he said smiling at her, she then turned the pouch upside down and poured its contents into her hand.
    "I cannot take this." she said as she motioned for Mitiades to take it back, but he pushed her hand back.

"Its fine.. thats just my first pay, I get paid agian in a week." he said as he watched her put it back into the pouch and hide it in one of the shelves of the counter.

"I shall save it then, once we have enough ill use it to buy a nice house in the country." she said as she stood back up.

Just then they heard alot of noise outside, people were shouting and running through the agora.
    Theseus then opened the door and walked to Mitiades.

"You need to hear this." he said as he pulled him out of the room, through the shop and into the agora. They met up with Praxinos who was leaning agianst a statue of Apollo listening to the news reader on the platform in the center of the agora. People were everywhere, shouting and cursing, some were sobbing.

"What in the name of Zues is going on?" Mitiades said as he pulled Mia to him.

"Philip the fifth has attacked one of our border forts and sacked a village, Greece is at war." Praxinos said as he spat at the ground.
    Mitiades turned to the news reader who was yelling and waving his arms around, a guard was on either side of him, with the riot control Theurophoroi positioned infront of the platform forming a shield wall pushing agianst the crowd.

"People of Athens!, Phillip of Macedon has invaded sacred Greece.. he is currently beseiging the Thessalian frontier, he will soon break through our defenses and move agianst Pharsalus.. fear not people of glorious Athens, for king Agesipolis is mobilizing his legions to march north to halt Philips advance and lift the seige of our brave border gaurds, all members of the Agiadis legion that are here in Athens are to make for the city of Pharsalus as soon as possible, you will be met by the king and his son, Prince Euneas, in 2 weeks time.. the streets of Pella will run red with blood!." The news sayer said as he cheered and spat and marched along the platform as the crowd became inflamed.

"Death to Philip!" one shouted

"Burn Pella to the ground!" shouted another.

Mitiades turned to Mia, he pulled her in close and kissed her forehead.
    Last edited by Evalation; December 23, 2012 at 01:08 AM.

Hamilicar's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: [RS2.5 AAR]Sparta: Rise of an Empire. [updated 12/18/2012]

This is very good stuff much better than my attempt at an interactive AAR.

how many are actually liking this AAR?

Only 3 people have commented on it and two are friends of mine.

Lemme know what you think.

Excellent, I love how you built up to the War!

Just one thing though, you seem to switch between first and third person in a lot of your chapters

I guess im still used to writing in 1st person due to my other AAR The Banner of The West.

It may be an easy transition to some but im not used to writing like this lol... ill look through the chapters and correct all mistakes.

It may be some time before a new update comes because my comp recently got sent to the shop for repairs just recently

But thanks for the feedback as always Seleucid

I promise guys I will post an update soon, im reallly busy with my rl job and i havent had time to set my comp back up, its still sitting in a box on my dining room table...

But ill get it back up and running soon

ive checked this three times this week waiting for an update

i would really love to see those cool looking spartan marines in action

Im a Marine first, a Fiance second, a total war player third.

Many things are occupying my time atm be patient bro

Chapter8:The Marines

568A.U.C

Mitiades, Theseus, and Praxinos gathered their things and set out on the horses which were issued to them by the state. They rode for a week straight barely stopping to rest in fear of being too late.
    "Pharsalus.." Theseu said as the three rode up to the top of the hill, the wind was blowing their red cloaks in the wind as the sat atop their horses on the hill.

Down below in the valley they could see troops scurrying around a fort that looks to be still under construction. It was equiped with towers, walls, and many many tents and with one large one right in the center of the complex.

"Lets go see whats going on" Replied Praxinos. Mitiades and Theseus just nodded and nudged their horses to gallop forward.
    When they reached the gates of the fort they were greeted by an armed guard standing by the large open doors.

"State your names, and occupation." He said as he trudged over to Theseus' horse and stopped beside him.
    "I am Theseus, this is Mitiades, and thats Praxinos, we are with the 5th regiment Machiaphoroi Eplekitoi of the Agiadis." Theseus said.

"Very well, report to the command tent to recieve your orders." He said as he waved them through the gate.
    On the way in they could see archers on the walls, some sitting down munching on some field rations, others were just walking back and forth or just standing there staring out into the sea of grass before them.

deeper in the tent more legionaires could be seen practing for possible ambushes while their Commanding officers were shouting orders and when one messed he was thrown into the mud and forced to do pushups. Some were just walking around, or sitting by fires talking with others in the regiment.
    One the three friends reached the grand command tent they were stopped by two very muscular men with long hair one with a beard and the other was cleanshaven with a braid down the back of his hair. They each carried a Xiphos and a large round shield with their helmet tied dangling from their belts.

"Halt! state your business with the legion commanders." One said in a very stern voice.
    "We were instructed to come to the command tent to recieve our orders by the guard at the main gate." Praxinos said in a tone obviously mocking the muscular soldiers voice infront of them.
    The soldier found no humor in it at all, instead he just replied.

"You dare mock me boy!" and punched Praxinos in the gut forcing him to collapse to the ground in pain.

"Whats your problem!" Mitiades said as he stepped forward but was held back by Theseus.

"He insulted me, so I reacted." He said coldly looking at Mitiades.

"and who are you supposed to be, I thought all soldiers of the legion had to be cleanshaven and close cropped hair." replied PRaxinos as he stood up.

The man just laughed "Im exempt from that little rule boy, Im with the Marines.. ever heard of us?" He said smiling.

They have heard of them, its known to many citizens of the growing Spartan Kingdom that the Marines are the deadliest group of soldiers anyone could come into contact with, their reputation far excedes that of the silver shields which people here stories of in Athens. However no one doubts that if the two special forces should meet, the Marines would come out as the victor. They are full blooded Spartans, and only "pure bloods" were allowed to join thir ranks. Many stories have been told about the misery of going through the Marine training program, most dont make it out alive, they are the perfect soldiers..

The younger Marine who looks to be about Theseus' age appears as though he has been in many battles, when the Marine smiled at the Theseus he noticed that he was missing a tooth and had a chunk of his ear missing.
    When the Marine noticed Theseus' stare he looked at him coldly with a wicked smile, this time not revealing his teeth.

"We apologize, may we pass through?" Theseus said calmly.
    The older Marine just nodded and held the flap of the tent open for us. Praxinos made a face at the man before entering which made his face turn red with rage.

"Were going to want to take the back way out.." Said Praxinos as he turned back to look at the Marine staring at him. The three continued through the tent untill they came to a second flap and could hear voices inside arguing over battle plans, one was the voice of the King himself.
    Last edited by Evalation; January 15, 2013 at 11:06 AM.

Default Re: [RS2.5 AAR]Sparta: Rise of an Empire. [updated 1/14/2013]

nice chapter, those marines seem even more brutal than the normal veterans of the legion

and praxinos is very arrogant, I wonder if it will lead to his death?
    Last edited by seleucid empire; January 14, 2013 at 08:55 PM.

Chapter9: The war council

568A.U.C
    After the encounter with the legendary Marines the three walked down the slim hallway towards another opening in the tents wall. Inside they could hear men talking and arguing over something but it was hard for them to make out what was being said untill they got closer.

"The Macedonians are no match for the legion, we must attack now!" shouted a senior regiment officer.
    "No! we must form a plan of attack before charging headlong into battle agianst a army of noteworthy strength, we may have beaten them before, but with that victory Phillip has learned what were capable of.. he knows Greece is not as weak as it had thought, therefore he will not make the same mistakes he made during the last battle." another explained as he made his way around a large table in the center of the room which all the senior officers were gatherd around.

"So Kleomenes.. what would you have us do?" said a voice at the head of the table.
    Theseus and his friends diddnt go into the room because they were entranced in listening to the debate of the legion commanders.

"Phillip knows we have camped outside of Pharsalus, I think he wants us to strike, I believe that his plan is to draw us into starting the battle so he can spring a trap of some sort." Kleomenes said looking around the room at the other officers.

"What if your wrong.. what if he is just seeing how long we will wait as he draws in more troops from the northern regions of his kingdom." The one who started the arguement said looking back at Kleomenes.
    "Enough, I believe we have visitors." someone said at the corner of the room. On that note everyone turned to the entrance to the room they were in.

Theseus, Mitiades, and Praxinos stumbled into the room and stood at attention.
    "Sir, we were told to come to the command tent to recieve our orders." Theseus said as he stared straight ahead.

"Were you listening to our conversation?" The angry one said walking over to them.
    "We diddnt hear much sir, I-"
    "It doesnt matter, Nearchos, leave them be." Said the man at the head of the table who rose from his chair reveiling the cloak of royalty.

Nearchos just bowed his head slightly and backed away. It was the king, he was dressed in combat fatigues and armed with a sword at his side. He began walking over to them and stopped infront of Theseus.

"What regiment are you boys from?" the king said looking at Theseus.

"The 6th Epleketoi sir!" Theseus said looking directly ahead. Agisipolis turned to face his officers.

"Who is commander of the sixth Eplekitoi?" He asked in a stern voice.
    "I am sir." A man said at the corner of the table.

"Ah yes, these men need their orders, as for everyone else we will continue this discussion later, the war council is adjurned." the king said as he turned and began to walk to the exit of the tent followed by a much younger man with the same cloak of royalty.

the regiment commander walked up to Theseus and smiled.

"You idiots are going to be the death of me." He said looking at Theseus, but Theseus couldnt help but recognize him. It was Memnon, he was to be their senior Regiment officer.

"Sir were sorry sir." Mitiades said still staring ahead of him as the other officers cleared the room.

"Well the 6th is camped on the northwest side of the camp, we have been assigned first patrol duty of the night. Ill meet up with you later to go over the orders with the regiment.. Id suggest you go get set up and get some food in you, its going to be a long night boys."

After that he dismissed them and followed the last officer out of the tent.
    Last edited by Evalation; February 04, 2013 at 02:47 AM.

You're setting up the war very well, now I'm really really looking forward to the clash

Btw how do you change the title of your aar? To show the date updated?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast