Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: TOTEM

Default Re: "TOTEM" Total Experience Mapping

While replicating the actual geography is very interesting since you can imagine you're seeing something close to what a medieval soldier would see at the battlefield level, in actuality there's something to be said for specifically designing the terrain to create opportunities to plan battlefield strategy. Many things are not readily apparent on the campaign map versus what they look like on the battlefield. Sometimes an adjustment might make the mod more fun or help balance things too.

One could very specifically design the terrain and create some winding mountainous passages that had to be navigated and hence create situations similar to the box canyons in the American Wild West where a few good sharpshooters could fire with long range rifles and cause serious mayhem.

If a map is a grid of only 100 x 100 (and all of the mods have bigger maps), and if it were possible to fight on each map coordinate (no impassable terrain)then there are 10,000 unique battlefields. Having looked at tons of these in mods and the vanilla map, you can't believe how many fun battlefields there are. Of course many of these are very unfair to one side or the other, but that's much more realistic. That's why you should not autoresolve but play those field battles, or at least save them to replay later.

'Looking forward to finding those in TOTEM.

Quote Originally Posted by napoleonic View Post
    most interesting project, too bad we can't simply port the map to any other mods, can we?
    Of course you will That's the aim: to put the medieval II map modding on the next level (globally speaking). So that's why I did this map, I was bored with that old map's style (every mod at this moment has the same map style, maybe there's a texture changing but it's steel the same story).
    So I invite all of you to follow me and to support me with my creation and I declare that the beta version (as a map mod) will go out this month and you will be able to add it to any mod you wish in exchange for permission from my part and the credits from yours

While replicating the actual geography is very interesting since you can imagine you're seeing something close to what a medieval soldier would see at the battlefield level, in actuality there's something to be said for specifically designing the terrain to create opportunities to plan battlefield strategy. Many things are not readily apparent on the campaign map versus what they look like on the battlefield. Sometimes an adjustment might make the mod more fun or help balance things too.
    Completely agree with you

By the way: I've changet all the terrain textures and finally I've found the right way.

These are some pistures of how the finally map should be (soon I'll upgrade the first post):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Default Re: "TOTEM" Total Experience Mapping NEED CITY DESIGNER!!!

Till I dedicate all my time to the map texturing and editing I have no time to finish my work with those cities. so I wandered if someone could help me??
    I've aready done those models but just for the nothern european culture. So the other cities will have more or less the same aspect (check the first post-cities models) /different coors, dimension and rotation..

Of course I can do it by myself but it will burn more time....

So if someone can help me please let me know...

robomanus,

I have been following your work closely for the past half a year. I make models for battlefields, but never worked on strat map models. I can give it a shot. Send me the files if you wish to use as a base and work from there. I am thinking of changing colors, adding characteristic buildings (i.e. minareted mosque for Islamic culture, changing houses a little, others - any ideas?). I am always open to learning and should be able to make progress quickly. Let me know if you are interested.

Sandy

Immediately!!!

Cyrene's Avatar Vicarius

ROBOMANUS THIS IS REALLY AN INCREDIBLY OUTSTANDING WORK YOU HAVE DONE ON THIS GORGEOUS JAW DROPPING MAP! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

just because I love this game. Thank you for supporting me...

I assume that this is not going to be compatible with any mods out there that have their own map?

I assume that this is not going to be compatible with any mods out there that have their own map?
    Every mod has it's own map. What do you mean? Of course you will have just to reorganize your units and characters coordinates, obviously.

I mean can I simply use this mod with SS and it's submod or not?

no, simply not. because it's not a SS submod. but if a SS team or any other ones rather will adopt it in few minutes, you will be able.

Andytheplatypus's Avatar Domesticus

I mean can I simply use this mod with SS and it's submod or not?
    The map isnt as big as the SS map, settlements will be different, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Andytheplatypus View Post
    yes it's more extended to the caspian east (about 60 pixels) but it's not a criteria. The map can be applied anyway. Yes of course the settlements will be different but can be remade in 10 minutes. I've already sad about it, and after all it's not a SS submod but a stand alone one. So who will use it for merging with own mods is welcome.

Andytheplatypus's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by robomanus View Post
    yes it's more extended to the caspian east (about 60 pixels) but it's not a criteria. The map can be applied anyway. Yes of course the settlements will be different but can be remade in 10 minutes. I've already sad about it, and after all it's not a SS submod but a stand alone one. So who will use it for merging with own mods is welcome.
    Oh dont get me wrong buddy, still plan on using at least some aspects of it Keep up the good work.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

The 'green shade of doom' is a setting via descr_strategy_lighting, I presume? I am more into the 'vibrant' colors, hence my question.

Yes it is

Ok since nobody replies to my request, I've started to design all the cities by myself so it will take more time before beta release will come out...

Of course you will That's the aim: to put the medieval II map modding on the next level (globally speaking). So that's why I did this map, I was bored with that old map's style (every mod at this moment has the same map style, maybe there's a texture changing but it's steel the same story).
    So I invite all of you to follow me and to support me with my creation and I declare that the beta version (as a map mod) will go out this month and you will be able to add it to any mod you wish in exchange for permission from my part and the credits from yours
    no, simply not. because it's not a SS submod. but if a SS team or any other ones rather will adopt it in few minutes, you will be able.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andytheplatypus View Post
    I knew this would happen, I didn't believe it at first that was why I asked the question again... but honestly I'm still confused, the 2 answers are directly conflicting each others

so when you finished this map, we can't simply port it to SS or can we?