Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: TOTEM

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5

Default Re: TOTEM (Total Experience Modding)

I don't force you to do anything, I just ask you a serious question. You don't give a damn about what other people say and don't give many details about your mod idea. I wonder why you'd even post it here then.

Like I said, you don't take criticism.

I am only trying to keep it all friendly here but you don't appear to be really interested to do the same
    I take criticism from persons who really can show me something of really constructive, of their own. Because for myself If I'm mister nobody I'll never start to criticize others...... that's what I think

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5

That's a strange view but whatever. It's not my problem anyway.

If I'll finish it all will see how I did it. But If I'll say all of that I've done there will be no sence to follow my mod. Also because I can't finish it in a short period of time----

Infact let's stop it here. I didn't create this post to host polemics right here... Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by robomanus View Post
    Man I've spent almost 2 years for this map, and all u see I'ts my own work (my own innovations). As u've noticed the anatolian lakes, but also for ex the pyramyds: are present on the strat map without the use of any resource CAS file etc. The resources like grain or line are animated (see below) and disappear in winter... And what about the lakes I've used the trees CAS resources... U have to get a lot of immagination and improvisation in your had just to invent... Good luck....
    Yeah I was thinking of using the "swamp" ground type layered with the "tropical" climate type I am not currently using. But that requires some serious work with CAS files. I will have to look into it. Anyway I am glad to see that you have demonstrated it is possible. Keep up the good work!

Never seen this before, but this is amazing! Wow!!!
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

Yeah I was thinking of using the "swamp" ground type layered with the "tropical" climate type I am not currently using. But that requires some serious work with CAS files. I will have to look into it. Anyway I am glad to see that you have demonstrated it is possible. Keep up the good work!
    Everything is possible man. Just have to get some immagination in your head
    Last edited by robomanus; January 23, 2013 at 08:00 PM.

I should probably offer you something by way of trade so I offer you some food for thought.

Firstly, although there is nothing wrong with providing Britannia with numerous regions/cities for gameplay reasons it is still worth keeping in mind, that compared to France, Italy or the Middle East, Britain was sparsley populated. Population figures can be found here

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/pop-in-eur.asp

Either way, I would seriously argue that France needs more regions and Poitiers is a must have as it was the capital of the duchy of Aquitaine prior its annexation to the French crown, transferring the capital to Bordeaux. It was also a wealthy city.

In regards to Byzantium, I would consider dividing regions according to the Thematic system

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theme_(Byzantine_district)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ma...mpire_1045.svg

The system crumbled after Manzikert (1071) when most of Anatolia was lost to the Empire but it was still in operation in some form or another in the Empire's Western Provinces (Greece, Bulgaria)

I would also recommend dividing HRE territories along the lines of its constituent stem duchies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ho...000_map-en.svg

At the mods presumed start date (1100) central authority had yet to crumble creating the patchwork mess of later years (although the process had already begun)

Finally, for your own research I seriously recommend this site as a good source of medieval maps.

http://www.shadowedrealm.com/medieval-maps/

Also I wish to correct your belief that the sub-Saharra was unknown. Unknown to Christendom perhaps, but not the the Muslim world and in particular the Moors/Berbers. In fact Islam would make inroads into heart of Africa through frequent trade, communication and war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Saharan_trade

Legends of the wealth of Mali (an in particular Timbuktu) started spreading in Christendom when one particular Malian King stopped in Cairo on his way to perform the pilgrimage and spent so much gold that the price of gold fell over night. But because Christians were largely forbidden to trade with "infidels" (though often ignored) and were far from the Sahara this would largely remain legend and mystery until the 18/19th Centuries.

Anyway I hope some of this information is useful to you. Of course, at the end of the day this is your mod so any decisions are ultimatley yours. Good luck.
    Last edited by King Utopus; January 26, 2013 at 07:56 AM.

Thaks man. U're helpful

A new video of some animated resources just added.

Realism is the main objetive of the strat map doesn't it?

Then here we go:

And then why is Spain so horribly bad done? You forgot to add many mountains chains and it's southernmost part looks totally like african soil. It lacks the Gallician Massif mountains that stirs from the Leon's mountain chain. The catalonian shore mountains are forgotten also. And Andalusia take's the worst part, desertic and plain, when really there are lots of mountain ranges there, and you don't even give the "feel" of spanish' inner plateau (Spain is the second highest country in Europe after Switzerland), the plateau is important not only for the climatic conditions but also is important historically-wise as it was natural frontier. In fact a huge moutain range closes the Andalusia's access to middle and northern Spain. The sub-betic system is also deleted. In fact the southermost province of Spain has many mediterranean forests it not a God's forsaken land with a river and few trees, an authentic wasteland. Actually there are many important natural parks with many gorgeous forests. Also the hidrographic system is horribly done and many of the most important tributaries are not in the map, few of them which are trully important. And Mallorca, baleric main island it's a fat rock in the middle of the Mediterrean waves, it has a mountain range and forests around it. And many, MANY more details that are not in and I've not time to write here, even worse if you try to make a pseudo-photographic map. It totally seems that Europe ends in the Pyrenes in your map.
    So if you SAY that you're doing a most REALIST and ACCURATE map don't make one like that, which, yes is visually STUNNING and beautiful, but is totally fake, and very biased (Ethnocentrism mayhaps?), horribly inaccurate in the geographical way. And I've only paid atention to Spain, nor the rest.

Nothing personal, but a must-do comment.

Regards
    Last edited by Oznerol; February 01, 2013 at 02:04 PM.

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

okay...

okay...
    But I must say another thing: You're a genious modding the strat map and have achieved to do a visual jewel. I just complain of it's accuracy, nothing else, I think you're creative and have a deep knowledge of the game's engine, so keep it going, the finished mod will be visually stuning and we'll surely enjoy it. Just don't claim geographical accuracy.

Regards.

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Nice work. The map is very aesthetically pleasing. I do have one question though, why did you include so much of Africa? Why include the largest desert in the world (if you exclude the Arctic and Antarctica)? From the looks of the mini map, the Sahara desert takes up over one third of the map.
    "To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true" ~ Aristotle

Because the mod will contain the same map borders like the vanilla game does. I mean the sud extremal city is Timbuktu, the east Bulgar and the North is Turku. Now on the vanilla map Sahara is deformed and it gets nonthing to reach Timbuktu, but really it's too far... If I cut off Sahara we'll loose Timbuktu, Dongola, Mekka and Medina... That's the reason

....but is totally fake, and very biased (Ethnocentrism mayhaps?), horribly inaccurate in the geographical way. And I've only paid atention to Spain, nor the rest....
    Mr Geographical Genius after these words I invite you to let me see a not FAKE map so I could admire.... Now all those mountains you see on this map are present ingame But why don't you people understand that all those things that you speak about have no sence: "In that area u didn't put the forests, so your map is fake..." ok I'll put 3 seconds to make them, (show me the forests map of Spain), what's the problem? But the aim is that You'll never find the trees more realistic of mine on the whole community. Or just take a look at those coastlines. Have you ever seen the coastlines so accurately smoothed before? That's I call "A Realistic innovation" and not a simple coordinates position that u want to make correct at 100% (copying them from some map you've found after a Google research) so only in that way it will be realism on your opinion. If you don't understand my idea after all please don't post here trying to explain that somewhere on the map some island has to be more elevated and that's why I can't speak about realism, It's absurd what you're trying to say!!!

New stratmap images Added

Default General Apply for a team gathering

Hi all of You again. And thanks to all who support me and criticize
    I'm just want You to help me with this mod (especially 3d workers for now)
    so we could finish it faster obviously, till I haven't got much time...
    So if someone is still out there, someone who cares about this stuff,
    please write here I really need your help.

Mr Geographical Genius after these words I invite you to let me see a not FAKE map so I could admire.... Now all those mountains you see on this map are present ingame But why don't you people understand that all those things that you speak about have no sence: "In that area u didn't put the forests, so your map is fake..." ok I'll put 3 seconds to make them, (show me the forests map of Spain), what's the problem? But the aim is that You'll never find the trees more realistic of mine on the whole community. Or just take a look at those coastlines. Have you ever seen the coastlines so accurately smoothed before? That's I call "A Realistic innovation" and not a simple coordinates position that u want to make correct at 100% (copying them from some map you've found after a Google research) so only in that way it will be realism on your opinion. If you don't understand my idea after all please don't post here trying to explain that somewhere on the map some island has to be more elevated and that's why I can't speak about realism, It's absurd what you're trying to say!!!
    Here is a satellite photo of Spain I used to place ground types in combination with real world heights and good sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Si...y_Portugal.jpg

Should be helpful in accuratly placing forests.