Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tsardoms Total War - FACTION PREVIEW: Principality of Moldova

Diurpaneus's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: Tsardoms Total War - FACTION PREVIEW: Principality of Moldova

I will surely play with either Moldavia or Wallachia.

Moldavia possessed actually a pretty significant military force.
    Delivered horrific defeats for the Ottomans and the Hungarians.

Especially at Baia, Vaslui, Valea Alba and the Cosmin Forest!

A great shield that protected Europe from Islam!

Yeah, a shield of Christianity which was a vassal of Ottomans for most of its history

Thankfully there is no kind of stupid nationalism in Tsardoms, everything is accurate

Quote Originally Posted by Tureuki View Post
    Yeah, a shield of Christianity which was a vassal of Ottomans for most of its history

Thankfully there is no kind of stupid nationalism in Tsardoms, everything is accurate
    So?
    Does that alter the fact that they decisively defeated the Ottomans in many battles?

And what's with the "stupid nationalism"?

If they had Ottomans decisively defeated many times, they would be not vassals.

They several times waged resistance fight and I don't deny that those were important in military sense, but they were nowhere near of horrificly crushing Ottomans or shielding Europe.

Hrobatos's Avatar Praeses

Each nation has its national myths.

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

let's concentrate on the game

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Actually, it was far cheaper for the Ottoman Empire to maintain both Wallachia and Moldavia as vassals, with (sometimes) local rulers rather than invest time and money to change the entire administration. Besides, whatever they would have gotten out of the population (taxes, etc, etc) they were already getting from the rulers, who had to go to Istanbul and "buy" the throne.

As to "shielding" Europe, let's not forget that later on, when the Ottomans reached Vienna and lay siege, the Moldavian & Wallachian rulers were on the Ottoman's side, though the sultan didn't trust them and they didn't actually fight. It was the Poles that saved that day, but yeah, the myth in Romania, or at least common (mis)belief is that we gloriously defeated the Ottomans in battle and maintained our "independence".

Anyway, looking forward to playing Wallachia and actually doing that.
    Last edited by Darkan; May 23, 2013 at 11:47 PM.
    [DLV 6.2 AAR] - The Danish House of Hen - updated 20/08/18 - on hold
    [King of Dragon Pass AAR] - The Drakkar Saga - updated 14/04/18 - on hold
    Participate in the TotW!!! PARTICIPATE!!!
    DuckDuckGo

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

Quote Originally Posted by UkrainianCossack View Post
    Moldavia possessed actually a pretty significant military force.
    Delivered horrific defeats for the Ottomans and the Hungarians.

Especially at Baia, Vaslui, Valea Alba and the Cosmin Forest!

A great shield that protected Europe from Islam!
    The Moldovans were defeated at Valea Alba. After the battle Stefan cel Mare fled back to Suceava to build a new army.

Quote Originally Posted by Tureuki View Post

Moldova did not accept Ottoman vassalage until the reign of Petru Rareș during the sixteenth century. Until then, they usually beat the Ottomans whenever they tried to move north of the Danube. I guess it is like what Bonaparte would later say - "Do not fight against an enemy too much, unless you want to teach him all of your art of war."
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

The defeat at Valea Alba can still be considered a success due to the fact that the Moldavians were undermanned and inflicted horrendous casualties on the superior forces of the Ottoman Empire. But yes as you say, they lost indeed. But I'd say it was a Pyrrhic Victory for the Turks since they were not able to conquer anymore Moldavian territory after that battle and in 1476 they were forced to retreat out of Moldavia

Darios, Ottomans started to take annual tributes from them far earlier than that, Ottomans didn't launched a campaign in the aim of conquering Moldova or Wallachia, controlling certain commercial centres, annual tributes and vassalage was enough for them, most of the times , the reason Ottomans launched campaigns to any of these countries was because aggression from their side, raiding borders, interfering in political matters, not sending tributes etc.

As I said I don't deny that several times they put good resistance fights, ambushes, scorched earth etc.(even though Ottomans in most of times got what they wanted) but saying they crushed Ottomans horrificly and shielded Europe is, meh.

Dude, you are so judgemental.

In 1420 the Ottomans launched an invasion of Moldavia with the intentions of taking Chilia. The attack FAAAAILED.
    They first managed to annex Chilia in 1484.

In parable with the Wallachians, who INDOUBTLY dissuaded the Ottomans, they were the major powers in Europe who resisted the Islamic Incursion.
    How would Europe have looked like if they all fainted and dropped their swords?

There wasn't any significiant attempt to conquer Chilia in 1420, probably a local attempt by governor, if not fake.

Wallachia was a vassal of Ottomans for even a longer period than Moldova, you still insist on same nationalist nonsense, how would Europe look like if Wallachia and Moldova gve up(which they did) ? exactly like it does in the history books today.

Jesus Christ, no it was not fake. It occured during the reign of Alexander cel Brun (Alexander the Good). Read ANY custom book about it.

Vlad of Wallachia insisted that "Romania" was to be as independent as possible. He aswell defeated the Ottomans decisively multiple time, he even discouraged the Sultan Mehmet II himself of attacking Wallachia.

You seem to lack historical knowledge about certain events in regard to religion in Europe.

If Wallachia and Moldavia would've fallen, the entire Bessarbia and Romania would have been muslim, and a delaying shield would have been long gone for the Catholic powers in Europe.

As I said if it was not fake, it was a local attempt, may be a raid or an organization of a local governor, because there was no such major attempt in 1420.

Vlad put a good guerilla fight, eventually fleed and an Ottoman vassal installed instead of him in the capital.

I told you before, Wallachia and Moldova were both vassals for hundreds of years, it was enough for Ottomans, they got their money, they got their ports, they got their support, thats why they didn't tried to completely occupate them, is that changed anything for Europe ? no, Ottomans continued their conquest in Europe.

Miszel's Avatar Domesticus

Tureuki, stop bullying, its not that Turkey is known for anything apart from gyros in bun. Nobody cares about your quickly stagnant empire. Moldovan/romanian national myths sound funny to you? Probably turkish mythes would sound funy for me too. Or Polish myths for Moldavian (Btw we lost large part of noble knights to Stefan of Moldavia congratz xd). Give him a rest and stop this nationalistic bull s hi t.

Here we got another one, I'm not bullying, yes I found Moldovan myths funny and I'm answering in proper manners, I didn't brought any equally stupid Turkish myths or asked your not suprisingly(since you're from eastern part of Europe) racist opinions about my country.

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Myths are just that, myths! History is much more complex.
    [DLV 6.2 AAR] - The Danish House of Hen - updated 20/08/18 - on hold
    [King of Dragon Pass AAR] - The Drakkar Saga - updated 14/04/18 - on hold
    Participate in the TotW!!! PARTICIPATE!!!
    DuckDuckGo

Miszel's Avatar Domesticus

Im just kidding, and your response suggest that your national pride has source in insecurity. Peace bro, and as i said, stop this nationalistic bull sh it because you cannot feel superior to any country just because you were born where you were born.

PS:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Attaturk was homosexual masonic illuminati jewish greek xDDDD

Last edited by Miszel; May 24, 2013 at 10:52 AM.

You should tell that to other guy, I don't feel superior to anyone or bring nationalistic bullsh.t here, I'm just answering to it.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast