Thread: modding startpos for Otomo clan

Default modding startpos for Otomo clan

I want to update my mod in steam workshop to include support for the new Otomo clan DLC.

I need to mod the startpos.esf files. Is it possible yet, or do we have to wait for updating steam modding tools?

I looked at the dates for the xml files in raw_data folder from the steam workshop Assembly Kit and the most recent was 9/25/2012 so I think its not updated.

I tried what I thought should work to extract all new XML files and also make the binary db files, in BOB, but after, the start_pos_factions table in DaVE tool still lists Otomo as non playable and with the default description placeholder. So I'm not sure if it's applying the DLC before extracting the game data? Is there a way around this or am I missing some steps?

Thanks!

Default Re: modding startpos for Otomo clan

Is this the best forum/community for working with the Assembly kit?

e.g. It seems modders on this site hack the startpos.esf rather than building them from scratch with assembly kit.

Is there any word on any possible update for the Assembly kit to include data with the Otomo clan? It seems nothing can be done with the existing Assembly kit to generate a startpos that includes Otomo as a playable clan.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Have you tried deleting the old assembly kit file and redownloading it after the new patch ?

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Yes that was one of the first things I did.

I assume bob extracts directly from the game, but now I'm not sure since it doesn't seem to have the db files updated for Otomo.

Has anyone found a way to mod startpos with assembly kit and get Otomo as a playable clan?

Quote Originally Posted by Engy View Post
    Has anyone found a way to mod startpos with assembly kit and get Otomo as a playable clan?
    I have made a tutorial on startpos http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=583325

Quote Originally Posted by Ygge View Post
    That would have been a big help before I learned to do it on my own.

The specific problem I have is that with the last DLC pack (Otomo) this process does not let Otomo to be playable.

It seems nobody at all knows what I'm even talking about or even cares. If you have Otomo DLC and start up you will see Otomo as playable, then if you make a mod using assembly kit, and turn that mod on, that you will notice that Otomo is no longer playable.

I believe the Assembly kit needs updated for this to work since it was release before Otomo DLC. I thought BOB extracts from the actual game data but it must have its own database files it uses. I really don't know as I'm guessing but you will notice that Otomo is no longer playable after updating the startpos files with current assembly kit.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

BOB does not use the game data the game uses, it uses its own set of RAW files, naturally these files cannot contain an unlocked DLC as then everyone would have access to them. Hence your problem by the sounds of it.

What changes are you trying to make?

Quote Originally Posted by .Mitch. View Post
    BOB does not use the game data the game uses, it uses its own set of RAW files, naturally these files cannot contain an unlocked DLC as then everyone would have access to them. Hence your problem by the sounds of it.

What changes are you trying to make?
    That logic does not explain how other DLC clans are playable when modding startpos with the Assembly Kit. All it would need is simple explicit check to see if they own the correct DLC before presenting it as an option.

I believe the only way for this it work is for CA to update the assembly kit to include the changes for the DLC that was published after the Assembly Kit to overcome this issue.

I'm modifying the end year. I know it can be done by hacking the ESF with other tools, but that defeats the entire purpose and legitimacy of using the Assembly kit.