Thread: [AAR] Battle of Syracuse

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

Default [AAR] Battle of Syracuse

I noticed there is no screenshot thread, so i had to make clumsy and short After Action Report about battle near Syracuse. Also english is not my mother tongue.

Giving order from the Senate, youngest of Cornelii family, Sextus Cornelius Scipio marches against mighty greek city of Syracuse. Given only 1 small legion, he knows he can`t take the city by direct assault. Knowing that, he groups of disguised soldiers inside Syracuse, with command to drive out Syracuse forces, not by force, but with few tricks. They perfom fake riot outside Syracuse, meanwhile telling rumors about huge Roman forces coming to support rebels. Syracuse`s garrison commander then orders his men outside to seize riot. Men being undisclipned and eager to face their first battle, in fact first for generation, young commander can`t, nor wants to order some of his men stay out of battle, city`s garrison is soon empty. One half of Roman forces lures enemy towards bridge, and another side of that bridge, Roman army is waiting for them. Other half still inside city, any local recistance is soon put down and city taken under controll, future of city and people of Syracuse depends on that battle.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Order of battle:
    1. General Scipio sends his phalanx mercenarys to hold the enemy at bridge while all of his velites and missile units throw/shoot their missiles at enemy
    2. After missiles are shot, light troops retreat behind principe lines and Italian mercenaries start shooting their owns. Italians slowing enemy Hastati shoot their missiles
    3. Mercenary lines are broken and know its Hastati`s time to fight the enemy. Principes shoot their missiles.
    4. Both Hastati and Principe units are fallen back and its time to send Velites and other light troops to support line.
    5. With support from lighter troops, Line holds long enough Triarii to join the fight. This is where enemy attack is driven back.
    6. Second wawe of enemies is coming from bridge, and some units have found their way across river, and Romans are now flanked. General Scipio acts cuickly and pulls his veteran Triarii out of bridge. Flanking enemy troops are cuickly surrounded and destroyed.
    7. General Sextus Scipio know flanks enemy same way they came.
    8. Enemy is completly suprised, and have no time to counter Roman flanking move. Bridge is know surrounded by Roman forces, and massacrace begins.

But while leading flanking move, Rome`s Brave general is killed, and he falls into river... His body was never found.

Angry Roman troops know seek to revenge, murdering every greek on the bridge is not enough, those 9 hoplites are running away... Soon they never run again!

Older member from Scipii family takes control of city, as a least job in his life, he must rule syracuse as true Roman, and gain citicens trust.

Rome, is victorious once more. But for how long? Poor Roman fisherman is looking for horisont, and sees familiar, but hated banner... Its a ship from Romes worst rival for ages- Carthage
    Last edited by TheRomanRuler; December 01, 2012 at 11:08 AM.
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: [AAR] Battle of Syracuse

Nice AAR

Thanx
    It was my first one. It felt like ages when i wrote that, but i think it was just 15 minutes

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Niiiiccceeee!!

Thanx