Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creative Assembly Let's Talk Total War

Default Creative Assembly Let's Talk Total War

This is your Terco aka Portuguese version of the Spanish Tercio in the Otomo Clan DLC.

Let's watch this video and let's see how real Tercios fought and functioned.

*Please ignore the thumbnail of the two men cuddling* *That is not apart of the Tercio*

Last edited by Point_Man; November 30, 2012 at 06:21 PM.
    This signature is clickable

Default Re: Creative Assembly Let's Talk Total War

It is Viggo mortenson for real. A danish actor playing a spanish guy. According to Wiki the spanish were pretty much crushed at the Battle of Rocroi taking unusually high loses for the time.

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The-Monetary View Post
    It is Viggo mortenson for real. A danish actor playing a spanish guy. According to Wiki the spanish were pretty much crushed at the Battle of Rocroi taking unusually high loses for the time.
    He is not danish, his father is. Viggo Mortensen is actually american. About him playing an spanish part... he is an actor, ain't that what actors do? Russel Crowe is not roman and he did Gladiator, Mel Gibson is not Scottish and he did Braveheart.

And actually, Viggo Mortensen was raised in Argentina, so he had an edge there. I have read all the Alatriste books and in my opinion he does a good job. The film was a bit of a dissapointment, but still is very well made and has a few really well crafted scenes (not the battle... they probably ran out of money when they got there...). If you are a fan of history (as i presume everyone here is) its a very recommended movie, specially taking into account the lack of decent serious films in that particular setting (XVIth-XVIIth. century Spain).

About Rocroi, its considered by many as the turning point of Spanish military dominance over Europe (some others disagree tho). Still, the tercios performed well, the french commander had to negotiate with them to end the battle since they were holding one cavalry charge after another on their own. They left the field in formation with their arms and their flags raised.

I really don't see your points.

The Bold Burgundian's Avatar Ducenarius

Heres a painting of the battle:

I agree with point man, the Terco unit is rather lackluster.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Btw, i actually didn't know this, but apparently that same Spanish army under the same general had inflicted a crushing defeat on the French the year before at Honnecourt, where the French army lost three quartes of its strenght.

Also, some frenchmen who fought on Rocroi called the spanish tercios the "human wall" after resisting so many charges when the rest of their army was vanquised or routed. Take into consideration that the Spanish armies of the time were largelly multinational, and the Spanish infantry were considered their elite part. In this particular battle, the italian, german and wallon troops fled and even then the Spanish tercios remained int he field and resisted 6 cavalry charges (some particular ones resisted even longer) on their own, survivors of the destroyed units joining other tercio squares to keep up the fight when theirs were broken.

Btw, i imagine you are reading the english version of the wikipedia. This part of it resumes it pretty well:

"though Rocroi was not the military disaster claimed by French propagandists (ten years later the Spanish captured Rocroi and held it until the peace treaty was signed) it marked the end of Spanish military doctrinal supremacy and the maturing of the doctrines prefigured by Gustavus Adolfus."

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Pies View Post
    Heres a painting of the battle:

I agree with point man, the Terco unit is rather lackluster.
    Agreed. I would really kill to see a XVIth-XVIIth century European based Total War game (if you do the math, its the only gap in the Total warseries... only those, late XIXth and XXth centuries are missing since the time of Alexander the Great...).

I imagine they have not done them because of the complex formations in wich the troops fighted then are too complex to implement (multi unit -pikemen and musket- formations like the squares and stuff). If you see, the rest of the games are based on linear unit formations.

Actual tercios looked somewhat like this:

BigDogDavis's Avatar Senator

Stop being so hung up about it. If anything I'd complain more about them having British accents.
    "God is fake because space and science."
    -Jimmy Neutron

Since using Shogun engine there is no way to make one unit using mixed arms (like pikes and muskets) this is the solution: you have musketeers using locals as pikemen (you must mix them yourself ).
    Since I doubt any Portuguese formations actually fought in Japan at that time, this is as good solution as any. Only the name is misleading.
    And I agree - it would be nice if they would speak portuguese.

Under the Patronage of: Ishan

Well despite its flaws the unit is rather resilient, stood their ground and fought like the swarthy devils they are!

I'll gladly let anyone who knows what they're doing give my Pike Terco mod muskets, pikes, and sabers.

Quote Originally Posted by IGdood View Post
    I'll gladly let anyone who knows what they're doing give my Pike Terco mod muskets, pikes, and sabers.
    i played around with unit modding for empire TW, I reckon the best we can do is clone the terco unit and give it long yari, very minimalist change but it should do the job. you could ask the sekigahara mod team, the y managed to make a bow/naginata hybrid unit.

hochmeister devin's Avatar Senator

Its just a animation tweak, if you familiar with modding shogun 2 just open p there animation chanes and tweak it so its matchlocks insead of bows.
    My mods
    -Mod Leader for the Wheel Of Time This is not the beginning, but it is a beginning
    -Mod Leader for Shogun 2: Foreign Invasion if you want a mod with alot of units this is for you, not only is there the 40 units CA made theres planned to be atleast 177 NEW units when its done.
    -Modder in the World War I and Shogun II project. The only full scale mod for FOTS and it plays nothing like FOTS. FOTS may have Gatling guns, WW1&S2 has tekidanto samurai, SNLF, MGs, kisho snipers, assault infantry(shotguns) just to name a few.

Well I know that, but I thought Seki gave muskets, swords, and yari to one single unit?

Just subscribed to your pikeman unit from the workshop IGdood, good work!

The Spaniards had the bigger army, More guns more horses and the same amount of Infantry.

The French army numbered 17.000 Taking around 4000 dead or wounded.
    The Spaniards numbered 19.000 Taking 15.000 Dead,wounded or captured.

It would appear the Spaniards got crushed, This looks more like a slaughter then a Heroic last stand... it was a military disaster. And if you look in the records of thirty year war you will have a hard time finding a battle which resulted in such losses.
    obviously we can question the validity of these numbers. But that still doesn't make the "proven" positive to an unproven negative based on nothing but patriotic fervor.

Conclusion: The Spaniards suffered a crushing defeat at the battle of Rocroi, and some schoolers would claim that this were the beginning to the end for Spain as a super power.

About Viggo it would appear that he isn't really from any one place. But his Heritage is danish his father is danish he spent a long time in Denmark and he is fluid in both Danish and Swedish. But Viggo is most likely American above anything else.
    Last edited by DeliCiousTZM; December 02, 2012 at 02:03 PM.

How well does the unit function in combat?

The pikes are solid, same with the gunners but i would not use an entire army composed solely of those two types. good for holding the line in an army while more versatile troops go on the offensive.

Last edited by Point_Man; December 02, 2012 at 07:49 PM.
    This signature is clickable

Also, we can give the gunner unit the pike square ability, if nothing has changed since empire mechanically they will be able to form the square and shoot from all sides. I did this in Empire. I'll dig up a screenshot of the result:

heres a steam screenshot of my 17th century warfare mod I was working on a while ago: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/57...FF646B3393771/

I was able to make the rifle units go into square formation just like the pikes, so they couldnt get flanked. only bug was that their weapons would dissapear sometimes while reloading.

heres a better screen: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/57...349A1C4885302/
    Last edited by The Bold Burgundian; December 02, 2012 at 07:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast