Thread: The Third Age: The Hobbit add-on?

Default The Third Age: The Hobbit add-on?

Hello forum, this is my first ever post, and mainly one of the reasons why I've signed up. To start with, hello! I'm unsure if this has been addressed before, and if so, sorry to bring it up again!

To begin the topic off, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is looking epic, at least from my point of view. It's release is getting ever so closer and I just can't wait to see what's install for us viewers and fans.

Now, the mod The Third Age I've been playing for a few weeks now (would of one so before, if my PC was actually able to run Medieval II + Kingdoms >.<) but I've known of it's existence for a very long time.

I'd just like to say, it's one very awesome mod. I used to play the LOTR mod for Alexander, but the development on that has more or less came to a stand still, from what I know.

Anyways, more to the point:

Wait, before I start: I am not suggesting to add the dragon Smaug!

With the release of The Hobbit, I began to wonder if we'll one day see another patch for The Third Age mod, I would assume a 3.3?

My question to you guys is that; would it be a good idea to include the "The Hobbit" related "stuff", such as an update on characters (e.g. Heroes have corrected pictures, such as Thranduil - played by Lee Pace, those Dwarfs and of course a few more from what I remember).

- Of course, when the material is available and if the team is up for an update etc, and if it's okay to be used, given the latest Skyrim case. As you can see, I' pretty new to this, and I'm unsure about who or even if the mod team is still there for this wonderful mod and even if this is the right place, or whatever to post such a thing!

It's just, while on the forums, being just a guest and not a signed in user, I've seen many people go on about the annoyance of repetitive units for the Gobin factions, such as Orcs of the Misty Mountains and Orcs of Gundabad.

With the introduction of the movie-adaptions of characters, such as The Great Gobin King, who lives in Gobin Town. I was wondering, could this be seen as a chance to add more variety to the Orc (Mountain) factions? After all, Gobin Town is present in The Third Age mod, with the introduction to a new set of "Orc units" available, would the mod reflect on this in the future? Don't forget that Dale, Silvan Elves, and also the Dwarfs could get an update too in terms of units if such an update is ever created.

I would assume most replies would be a "I bet someone will create a sub-mod". Yeah, that would be great too of course, but to actually see a major add-on in an official release would be awesome as well!

And yes, I realize The Hobbit isn't set in The Third Age, and this is probably just a silly post. XD But thanks for reading nevertheless!

... Please be nice...

Senator

Default Re: The Third Age: The Hobbit add-on?

First off, welcome to the forums. Secondly, I doubt the Mod Team will update the game to update character portraits, I think in times such things may occur, but only with another large release, it's pretty pointless to release 3.3 to update portraits and the like.

Also, adding the Great Goblin as a General for the Orcs of the Mosty Mountains is hardly going to deal with their unit issues. Plus, didn't the Great Goblin die? I know that they probably elected another one but we already have a faction leader for the orcs, (Although considering his role in the book, I think a special ability called 'Say two lines and then be brutally killed' would be pretty awesome)

Thanks for not suggesting that Smaug be in this 'Add-on', because I'm not entirely sure it is possible to create a decent dragon model, plus he is dead.

Finally, I might as well end it by saying that a sub mod set at the time of the hobbit will probably made some time in the near future, so keep your eyes peeled. Once again, thanks for visiting the forums

Thanks for the response!

I wasn't suggesting to add The Great Gobin into the game, since he does indeed (spoiler) die in the Hobbit by Gandalf's sword. Although, having looking at my post, it does seem like I was suggesting to do so! Are you able to edit posts? I have no idea currently.

Anyways, I have to agree there about the large release parts. The whole Gobin bit is just, since these Orcs in The Hobbit are different to the ones we've seen in The Lord of The Rings, it could be a good chance to add a bit of variety to the Mountain Orc factions as I've seen members comment about them often. They seem pretty repetitive in my mind, and that's from someone who has only battled against them so far!

Also, as mentioned before, to some others, such as the Silvan Elves, which in my mind, by playing the campaign as them, an extra unit or two would be a nice addition. It may also offer a chance to re-visit the faction of Dale too!

Anyways, it would be interesting to see if anything happens, such as an add-on or sub-mod. But yeah, if a 3.3 is ever created, it would be appreciated, from my point of view, if character portraits and such (whatever else would be added) would be updated to reflect the new Hobbit movies. I always liked the idea of having Radagast The Brown as a Spy for the Elves, I don't know why, that's after you've gained his homeland.

But yes, many thanks!

Senator

I think of all the spoilers the fact that a Goblin dies isn't really that surprising!

It's perfectly understandable why you'd want the OotMM to have new units, as most of their units are upgraded by having the word 'Heavy' put into the name. However I'm sure they'll think of something once the mod team have watched the film.

Also, I don't believe you can edit your posts until you've posted a certain number of times. (20 I think)

We'll have to wait 2 years more ( until Winter 2014) to fully see all "The Hobbit" characters on movies, so I doubt that a patch like that will come in a near future. I find it's more reasonable to hope for "The Hobbit" content implemented in a LOTR mod for Rome2 Total War than TATW.

Lortano, true, very true. I do hope so too! Thanks very much for the info about editing posts.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverCurve View Post
    We'll have to wait 2 years more ( until Winter 2014) to fully see all "The Hobbit" characters on movies, so I doubt that a patch like that will come in a near future. I find it's more reasonable to hope for "The Hobbit" content implemented in a LOTR mod for Rome2 Total War than TATW.
    Completely agreed there, however, within 2 years, I'm sure bits and bobs will be added into The Third Age. There's a lot to go by, just from viewing the trailers, images released and known information! But if anything, it would probably just be graphical improvements, such as portraits, maybe traits too? New Heroes? Units? I say portraits since the Dwarf faction could do with the new Hobbit movie ones, e.g. Glóin?

More reasonable to hope for The Hobbit content implemented in a LOTR mod for Rome2? Oh boy, that would be amazing! Although, I wouldn't want to be getting my hopes up too high. The games are getting harder to mod now, from what I've heard and read. You would've thought a LOTR mod would be out for Shogun by now, wouldn't you? Even if it's possible, I think it's unlikely due to how the games are being created now.

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5

If King Kong wants to use parts of the Hobbit in TATW he will surely do so. Discussing whether it will/has to happen is quite pointless as he is the only one who decides that. If it doesn't happen then you can make a submod if you want

Closed