Thread: File formats

Icon5 File formats

I've spent a decent amount of time scouring the forums for answers... So I've finally given up and actually decided to ask.

So, a bit of history, I've been setting up a new faction (Enedwaith) to act as a buffer state for Isenguard/Rohan/High Elves/Eriador. Basically I've finished with most of the coding for it, but now I've come to creating a banner, and troops (since I'm now rather fed up of playing with wraiths) for the faction.

Now here's the problem, I haven't a clue how to open the .dds .cas nor .texture files... I've got AutoCAD 2013 and Blender, neither which can open them - sounds like their either encrypted or compressed, so I need someone to point me in the right direction for software, plugin, or just point out my stupidity so that I can continue my work!

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Default Re: File formats

An update on this, I've found that it is 3ds Max I should be using for the .dds files. Though I'm also getting gimp, which is reportedly what I need for the .cas files... Still at a loss with the .texture files though, but they may be used for the 3ds Max or gimp side of things. Still could do with some clarification of this though.

Every time I find an answer, two questions rise instead - what uses a .mesh file? And a .modeldb file? Argh....

Stylix's Avatar MOS Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by V414 View Post
    Every time I find an answer, two questions rise instead - what uses a .mesh file? And a .modeldb file? Argh....
    Don't know about the other files, but I edit the battle_models.modeldb file wth notepad ++.
    MOS v1.6.2+ Bug fixer 30 Dec 2013

Great thanks - Should of tried that one first... I just assumed it was an image since it was with the others - and I've found another format... .spr! Though I know this is a sprite image, I could do with someone suggesting software for it. In fact, I could do with someone writing a guide on these different formats and explaining what software should be used, etc. Its a real headache for someone that has only just begun to mod the total war series (very different from editing minecraft!).

P.s. since I'm new to the forums, is there anyway that I can edit my previous posts, or do I need to be a moderator? (just thinking it looks like a one sided conversation if I keep posting new questions and no replies, would much rather them be in one post)