Thread: Missing sounds?

Default Missing sounds?

I downloaded this mod yesterday and experienced a bunch of sound issues with it. I had made a few modificationss to it though (like changing some building stats and unit skins) so i figured that that was what was causing it. So i did a clean re-install of RTW and patched in to 1.5, then reinstalled TE without making any modifications to it, and my problem's still there. Specifically, all the unit acknowledgements that you usually get when you click on a unit are gone, they don't say anything when you click them. All the footsteps are also really low too. When the units are running through the battlefield you can hardly hear their footsteps. I have been able to confirm that this only happens after installing TE. I tried playing my clean 1.5 RTW before installing TE and it worked perfectly, but as soon as i installed TE the sound problem was there again. Does anyone know what might be causing it?

Default Re: Missing sounds?

Dude, I think this is completely normal...

I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think - Socrates
    Barbarus hic ego sum, quia non intellegor ulli - Ovidius
    The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - William Shakespeare
    A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

yea, its something that they did with the mod, but i dont like it either

Quote Originally Posted by -Leonidas-
    Dude, I think this is completely normal...

How is it normal?

Quote Originally Posted by jw1089
    yea, its something that they did with the mod, but i dont like it either

Why the hell would they do that? That's just insane... If they really did do it on purpose, how do you change it back? Because this really sucks. I can't play the game without the great feeling i get from hearing the thunderous sound of thousands of feet marching on the battlefield.

try putting these files into the data folder. just overwrite the old ones

That didn't work

Thanks for trying though.

I don't have a problem with marching, just sounds normal... When I click on a unit I hear nothing but that's ok.

I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think - Socrates
    Barbarus hic ego sum, quia non intellegor ulli - Ovidius
    The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - William Shakespeare
    A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

Well the marching sounds normal for me too, it's just that it's REALLY low, so you have to zoom in really close to even be able to hear it. And then of course there's the unit acknowledgements. I noticed that when you build rams and stuff during sieges, and then select the unit that's equipped with the ram they'll respond by saying "ram!" but if you tell them to un-equip it they become mute again. This doesn't really bother me that much though, the real game killer for me is the extremely low volume of the footstep sounds. I've also noticed that you can't hear the cheering that a unit makes when they destroy an enemy unit. You don't hear the usual cheer that sounds like thousands of people cheering, you just hear 3 or 4 guys going "Yeah!" and "Roma victoria!" but not the loud cheering noise. You also don't hear them screaming when they charge an enemy. They just charge them without the screaming. All these sound effects really added to the immersion for me, and it just doesn't feel as fun without them, so i have to have them back. If anyone knows why this is happening please let me know.

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

This is happening because i have renamed all the unit internally. I made this decision when i added in the 30 or so new units that were included in 5.0. This was so no units would say "triarii" when being clicked for example when others wouldn't. Now no unit says that. But this has unfortunately had this unforseen side effect.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Thanks for clarifying that, Lusted. But do you think you could change it back in the next patch so we can have voices again? I'd rather have the wrong unit say "Triarii" than nothing at all. Also, do you know anything about the other missing sound effects? Like the absence of cheering and extremely low footsteps or the lack of screaming before a charge?

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

The voices are staying out in Gold. I think that marching and cheering sounds must be tied somehow to the units internal name, but im not sure why marching and cheering sounds would be.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Yeah the footsteps are pretty bad not being able to hear them,. the unit names are a bit annoying but i can deal wit it

any chance that there will be a patch where the charging/cheering ect. will come back?

Taelok's Avatar Senator

Not just the marching and cheering sounds, but also the sounds of onarger rocks hitting the ground etc. Quite a few sounds have been misplaced somehow. I spent a good hour trying to fix this but with no luck - I'm not that good with this kind of thing.

Only dream I ever have. Is it the surface of the Sun?
    Everytime I shut my eyes, it's always the same.