Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wonders in japan?

Default Wonders in japan?

Hey, you all super big fan of japan things, you can think to 7 wonders for japan in mod timeframe?
    SOmething like Imeprial palace, mount fuji, sacred shrine to some god, and so on?
    Make a list, produce pictures, and yo ucan see in game
    Bye

Default Re: Wonders in japan?

Mount Fuji (a wonder???)

Admin on Blastedcomics.dk goes under the name SharK
    Remember, give peace a chance...

Taneda Santôka's Avatar Artifex

What about the Nikko barocco temple complexe with ieyasu's maussoleum( 16-17c), miyajima sanctuary near Hiroshima (gotta check dates), Old capital Nara, Golden temple of Kyoto, maybe something more like Fuji "sanctuary" or pilgrimage? I guess it was already in "fashion",, but its maybe later thanks to hiroshige and hokusai, that it really got immortalised, but however I guess it retained the asian "mountainish" sacrality ( its an exterior space, that of the gods descending during the monsoon...) isnt there a very very great dojo somewhere? canrt remember... will these "wonders" have stupid effects or just for mood??(maybe theyr possecor could get some loyalty bonuses, thats it.)

Osceola's Avatar Protector Domesticus

No, Ieyasu's Mausoleum obviously wouldnt work for a game starting 100 years before his time.
    Team Member <3

its part of the nikko complex, not its origin

There's also the silver pavillon, temple after being residence of the ashikaga ( at least yoshimasa) again in kyôto (wich as even more wonders, one of the reasons , with topography, for wich it wasnt targeted by abomb...) kyôto as such should be a wonder, joined or not to nara, depending on the map. There's also Uji with the Amida Nyorai and Hôôdo of the Byôdô-in and lets not forget the sopporo beer factory in hoikkaidô!!

i've got to dig in old stuff, since I dont remeber the dates/place, but there was a order of very sought after blind monks/monastery, advisors of rulers, and even, if im correct, a certain number of blind rulers... the blind had great reputation/respect - Zato Ichi didnt come out of nowhere!(ironnic in japan's visual culture today...) If someone has information?! I've got to find that 90's netherland documentary.
    Last edited by Taneda Santôka; August 03, 2006 at 11:49 AM.

Ah, good, this is what i need
    WHy yo udont make a list of 7 of them?
    And yes, every wonder would have some effect, i think. Commercial or on population growth, or whatever kagemusha can come out with his files
    Of course is better if wonders are a bit distant and not all in same province, you can understand it.
    And can even be less than 7 (7 is maximum number anyway hardcoded).
    Keep on the researches

I really havent decided yet the fate of wonders so i think that this would be a good thing to ask of the fans.Do you guys want to have Wonders in a mod that is aiming for historicall accuracy?

Personally, I would like to think that the famous sites such as the Kinkakuji, Gingakuji temple, the sinking Torii in Itsukujima, or Toudaiji temple did NOT have any significant economical or strategic advantage. Well, if you think about the Colossus of Rhodes giving you an enormous trade bonus, that is.
    What I want to see in the game is that the wonders are actually there and are obtainable, but do not give any bonus.... They'll be just eyecandies, but that's far more realistic than making them give you all those nonsense bonus stuff.
    "Is it possible to live without music ? It does not appear to be among man's primary needs. But to go without it is to forgo happiness."
    - Evgeny Mravinsky

I agree with Chos here, maybe they could be reserved for giving characters governing the provinces in which they are located some flavour traits and stuff like that, I don't know. But the effects should not have a notable impact on the actual game, it just seems unreasonable to me.

Having them there to provide atmosphere is good enough for me, thats such an important part of the game that it makes them well justified to invest some hours of work into them.

Everybody's agreeing on that one, I never wanted any bonus', maybe just some population loyalty for the fame ( one could propbably produce UNloyalty to enemies...); I dont think the hanging gardens ever raised the agricultural output of the empire possessing them ( especially if it ranged from gaul to india...) ; maybe its builders had special hydro technologies, but not its possessor. I was just pointing at some famous and not out of sequnce japanese buildings/places - for atmosphere and reputation mostly!

MCM's Avatar Saint of lost causes

Well,
    to be honest, I cant really see any 'wonders' here in the game, especially if you are going for realism. Kyoto obviously has its benefits due to the Emperor, but Japan was so regionalised before the unifaction initiated by Nobunaga/Hideyoshi/Tokugawa, there are really no other benefits other than economic

just my six cents worth

MarcusCorneliusMarcellus:

Indeed. That doesn't mean we can't use these game-functions to decorate the campaign-map. :wink:

Yeah, so seeing so much majority for decorating, let start decorate
    What about somebody find the pictures of this wonders so i can make a small modelling?
    Thank you
    ANd maybe tomte in all his artwork has some paint that can be used as reference
    Bye

how about this:

EDIT:AH! sorry for the humongous pic. ill go resize it...

the Buddhist Statue in Kamakura.
    When You Walk Through A Storm, Hold Your Head Up High!
    And Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark, At The End Of A Storm Is A Golden Sky And The Sweet Silver Song Of The Lark...
    Walk On, Through The Wind
    Walk On, Through The Rain
    Tho' Your Dreams Be Tossed And Blown
    Walk On, Walk On, With Hope In Your Hearts, And You'll Never Walk Alone

YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Taneda Santôka
    its part of the nikko complex, not its origin
    Well, its the origin of the complexe we know, but before that, it was already a center of religious devotion in Kanto; tha construction of the whole thing did begin in 1617 though.

MCM's Avatar Saint of lost causes

ok- some ideas for you. I thought about thie for a week, adn came down with religious centers, as their support was essential for many local rulers

1.the Hachiman shrine in Kamakura- it was the main shrine of the first shogun, Minamoto Yoritomo

2. Miyajima shrine- on one of the islands in the Seto Inland Sea, and major power center for the Mori

3. Suwa shrine, next to Suwa lake in the heart of Shinano (now Nagano) home to the Taiko drummers, and major religious heart of the Takeda clan. The Suwa shrine is one of the most famous samurai shrines in Japan

3. Mt Heian- intact or burned to the ground- up to you

4. In Kyoto- Kiyomizudera Temple, home to one brand of warrior monks. possessing three sacred streams of water that are suposed to bring luck, long life and happiness if drank

thats all for now- if you need pics and links let me know. I have japanese sources as well

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusCorneliusMarcellus
    ok- some ideas for you. I thought about thie for a week, adn came down with religious centers, as their support was essential for many local rulers
    Good stuff! I was thinking about possible wonders as well. The only problem I see is that the number of wonders is hardcoded, and that you can't have any more or less than 7 wonders. well, it's not that I want more than 7 wonders, but actually less.... I don't see much "wonders" in Japan, but historically important sites.

This is what I have in mind so far:

Kyouto Gosho
    The imperial palace in Kyoto.

Toudaiji
    Famous for the huge Buddha inside the temple; destroyed once by Matsunaga Hisahide during the Sengoku period.

Houryuuji
    Famous for being the oldest surviving wooden-built temple; no significant connection with the Sengoku period.

Tsuruoka Hachimanguu
    A temple for Hachiman, Minamoto clan's guardian god; the place where Nagato Kagetora succeeded the Uesugi clan.

Itskujima Jinja
    Famous for the floating Torii; where the Battle of Itsukujima took place in 1555.

Rinnouji
    A buddhist temple in Nikkou that dates back to as early as 900's; one of the few temples that owned an enormous amount of land from the Muromachi period.

Dazaifu Tenmanguu
    Said to have been built upon Sugawarano Michizane's burial site; no significant connection with the Sengoku period, but this is the only "wonder" (i.e. building) I could find in Kyusyu. I wanted to see at least one eye candy in Kyushu!

I'm trying to include sites that more or less had something do with the Sengoku period, but that's not working perfectly.

Oh yes, another problem -- you can't have a lot of wonders in Kyoto, because the province of Yamashiro is so small and there can be only one wonder per province! :laughing:
    "Is it possible to live without music ? It does not appear to be among man's primary needs. But to go without it is to forgo happiness."
    - Evgeny Mravinsky

The list looks very good! Better than my Fuji and anachonical (slightly) Nikko suggestions!
    Itskujima = Miyajima. (no?) And Suwa shrine sounds good to!
    Last edited by Taneda Santôka; August 11, 2006 at 01:10 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast