Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: V4 Empire of the Romuli Fan Thread

Default Re: V4 Empire of the Romuli Fan Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NightfireXIV View Post
    You're right Roboto, being a Pleps is safer! But beware they come to Constantinum
    That's why we got you Legionnaires .

Click the image for some awesome new unit cards for the AIO mod!

Incredible Bulk's Avatar Vicarius

This by far the best faction I love them. It's funny I played vanilla and many mods and I can honestly i have 3 favorite factions and 2 are on this mod. In order
    1. Romuli
    2. Rohan
    3. Privateers

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

Rohan is too bro.

But anyhow, yeah I gotta say I like Romuli even more now with the Hastati added. Not as much more as I like the new Dracule, but I definitely like them more.

The Romuli just have such beautiful units. I keep coming back to them because of it.

"In a man to man fight the winner is he with one more bullet in his clip."
    - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

"Suffer not the Witch to live, nor the Heretic to spread his lies!"

Incredible Bulk's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Cathedralsquares View Post
    The Romuli just have such beautiful units. I keep coming back to them because of it.
    This pleases me

I think that the Romulii attack rating for some of their troops are too high...should be lower to offset their tremendous defensive ratings....

They need it for the Uruk.

I just noticed that some of the Romuli units seem based off of the late Roman Empire units (limitanei, comitatensei) and that the Triarii were based off of the Camillan-era triarii.

I appreciate the subtlety.

Quote Originally Posted by IGdood View Post
    They need it for the Uruk.

I just noticed that some of the Romuli units seem based off of the late Roman Empire units (limitanei, comitatensei) and that the Triarii were based off of the Camillan-era triarii.

I appreciate the subtlety.
    They made need it for the Uruk but so do every other faction then....its a tad bit unbalanced in my opinion but they are an easy, fun, faction to play on VH/VH...but the Uruks can get to be a pain!!!:sparta:

REDrake's Avatar Decanus

Played Romuli for the past few days. A nice campaign run I had so far. Instead of focusing on Dominion and Hesperos, after taking over Rhegium and Capua I went directly on Syriana, to aid my allies the Pale Knights (allies by marriage). Initially I wanted to make raid (conquer some cities, raze their buildings and retreat). However, after vanquishing 2 Barka armies, it put me in the position of taking over the whole southern Syriana. This also had the unforeseen effect of paralyzing Bakra's advance in Hesperos and saving the Pale Knights. Dominion expanded a little towards east but while I am at peace they are involved in a war with Lao Che (with no way of telling who's going to win). This allowed me to send an army and take over Heraklea and Epirus from the rebels (Epirus one turn away from a dominion army coming to besiege it).
    The only bad thing so far is that my Julius Caesar leader only had girls and all of them while having otherwise good stats were lesbians wannabes. In other words, no future Romulus heirs, as Cakius also has only girls. I adopted a son for Julius Caesar (after inbred marrying one of the girls with another general), so he'll be the next in line Vlasios Romanus the Saint, conquerer of southern and west Syriana, with over 20 victories.

Thou conquerest Vlasios! +rep for anyone who knows where's that from.

Quote Originally Posted by REDrake View Post
    Played Romuli for the past few days. A nice campaign run I had so far. Instead of focusing on Dominion and Hesperos, after taking over Rhegium and Capua I went directly on Syriana, to aid my allies the Pale Knights (allies by marriage). Initially I wanted to make raid (conquer some cities, raze their buildings and retreat). However, after vanquishing 2 Barka armies, it put me in the position of taking over the whole southern Syriana. This also had the unforeseen effect of paralyzing Bakra's advance in Hesperos and saving the Pale Knights. Dominion expanded a little towards east but while I am at peace they are involved in a war with Lao Che (with no way of telling who's going to win). This allowed me to send an army and take over Heraklea and Epirus from the rebels (Epirus one turn away from a dominion army coming to besiege it).
    The only bad thing so far is that my Julius Caesar leader only had girls and all of them while having otherwise good stats were lesbians wannabes. In other words, no future Romulus heirs, as Cakius also has only girls. I adopted a son for Julius Caesar (after inbred marrying one of the girls with another general), so he'll be the next in line Vlasios Romanus the Saint, conquerer of southern and west Syriana, with over 20 victories.

Thou conquerest Vlasios! +rep for anyone who knows where's that from.
    Wait...You managed to keep peace with the Dominion for that long? Thats possible?!

REDrake's Avatar Decanus

Yes, I find it surprising too. Might have something to do with them engaged in wars against Tahar and Lao Che. I have watchtowers along the border, but they seemed to be peaceful enough in that area. They didn't even conquered the rebels city which lies between Epirus and Herakleia (forgot its name).
    Barka are now pretty much gone, they only had Jem Hadar left and that was gone after a crusade against that city. Pale Knights conquered the city and the Barka are now a horde. It's the first time I ever see Pale Knights actually surviving. They are usually destroyed by Barka and Vashta very fast. Syriana is now a territory belonging to Romuli, Hispania, Gaelic, Pale Knights and Vashta. At this point I think Vashta is going to declare war on me, as 2 of their armies are very close to Kir Shara (2 gold resources in that region - where's a merchant when you need it?).

Oldgamer's Avatar My President ...
    Illinois, and I DID obtain my concealed carry permit! I'm packin'!

Hello all ...

I've never become a "fan" of any faction in any game or modification, so this is a first (even though when playing RTW, I always played the Romans ... I like the Romans).

Looking around for a new mod, I found this one. Cool, I thought. Avalon, a heritage of Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, and so on. So, I downloaded the mod, installed it, and ... discovered the Romuli. I looked at the exp_descr_units file, saw what was available, and once in the game, discovered the incredible graphics and artwork on these units. I've spent several hours on it, and just encountered the Uruks. It's fun slaying them, at will.

Who needs "total realism" (even though I was a playtester on RTR .8 ... a few years ago!), when you've got fantasy? I can conquer the southern continent, killing hordes of Uruks and creatures I haven't discovered, yet. Then, during a banquet in the Imperial Palace, before a beautiful slave girl captures my attention, I'll turn to the Consul and say, "Who will rid me of these troublesome Chivalrics?"

Excellent work, from someone who has been playing these games since the day Shogun found its way to the Wally World shelves. I rather think my that even my good lady ... who still strongly resembles Eowyn in the Lord of the Rings (down to the little cleft in her chin) ... will have to entertain herself, tomorrow ...

Thracius's Avatar Tiro

Great Faction, but more hype than substance the Pila is a cool feature, but does not work well with Medieval 2 as it did in Rome, so it can become a pain in some battle. The models are great looking, but some look a little overdone.

The pila indeed aren't that good, but the legionaries themselves are. With their highly efficient short-sword techniques/animations they punch far above their weight and with shield wall on they can hold off just about any infantry in the game. Also great in sieges. Of course, against some other factions' far more modern riflemen, pikemen and super-heavy cavalry the Romuli can be a bit outclassed. Their cavalry and archers aren't that great and their spearmen can't defeat cavalry as well as pikes or riflemen can. Fighting cavalry is actually where the pila come in most handy, I've discovered. If the legionaries throw them right as the cavalry charges, the charge will be robbed of much of its punch. Still, that only works under ideal circumstances and most of the time you will simply lose a lot of men if you get charged. All in all I really like playing them. They're an anachronism, but if you play to their strengths they're still very effective and they provide some unique challenges to overcome.

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by Iguanaonastick View Post
    and they provide some unique challenges to overcome.
    Such as?

Double post. Oops.
    Last edited by Iguanaonastick; September 03, 2013 at 05:39 PM.

Like I explained. You have an army of anachronistic defensive sword/pilum troops. They're very good at what they do: slowly grinding down enemy infantry in a frontal engagement. But it's tricky to arrange a battle so that they get to do that, especially if the enemy has a lot of cavalry and missile troops. Against Uruks they're well matched, I find. The legions can take everything the Uruks dish out and be the one standing at the end of the fight, particularly since the Romuli have cavalry to take out the Uruk missile troops. But I'm still struggling to find the best way to use their strengths to my advantage when fighting field battles against more modern factions like the Privateers or cavalry-based factions like the Lao Che. (Unless, of course, the AI has created yet another stack full of militia that ends up rebelling because of lack of funds or something. Campaign-wise Thera doesn't seem to be that challenging, but then that's par for the course for Total War.) All in all they're the first faction in this mod or pretty much any other I've played that's based on defensive sword-infantry with throwing spears. Even in the original Rome Total War (and it's much better mods) Romans didn't rely on shield-walls and such to face armies of knights and riflemen.

Thracius's Avatar Tiro

I think the Romuli's best use is on the defensive in cities and castles where that heavy infantry dominates even against modern armies. I shudder at the thought of facing down a Late Fausten army on open field.

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by Iguanaonastick View Post
    Like I explained. You have an army of anachronistic defensive sword/pilum troops. They're very good at what they do: slowly grinding down enemy infantry in a frontal engagement. But it's tricky to arrange a battle so that they get to do that, especially if the enemy has a lot of cavalry and missile troops. Against Uruks they're well matched, I find. The legions can take everything the Uruks dish out and be the one standing at the end of the fight, particularly since the Romuli have cavalry to take out the Uruk missile troops.
    I'm about to put those limitations to the test in my Uruk campaign.
    I have full stacks waiting outside almost each and every Romuli city now. They don't find this unsettling at all, because I'm allied with them via marriage with one of their princesses.
    I will burn Constantium to the ground.

Wish me luck!
    Last edited by Lord of the Drunk Penguin; September 04, 2013 at 01:33 AM.

Ah, bravery and strenght at its finest! Just now a unit of 83 Legio Caesaris got wiped out, but not before killing over 400 of those Hispanic barbarians. Still lost the battle (and the Hispanic capital haha), but my men died with honour.

Click the image for some awesome new unit cards for the AIO mod!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast