Thread: HTW Question

Default HTW Question

How did this guy remove adoptions and get rid of Faction Leaders from the mod?
    Can't work out how to do it.

UndyingNephalim's Avatar Primicerius
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: HTW Question

Quote Originally Posted by Bu11seye00 View Post
    How did this guy remove adoptions and get rid of Faction Leaders from the mod?
    Can't work out how to do it.
    It's not a very easy process but if I find time I could try to explain in detail how to do it. The short version is:

- Family Tree has to be disabled for the faction in question.

- You can't spawn any named characters on turn 1. If any character is spawned on turn 1 they'll get the "family member" status and the following turn they'll become a faction leader and start adopting people.

- This is mostly a just a safety precaution, but on turn 1 I do spawn a group of unused named characters and immediately send them off the map so that they inherit the family member status instead of new characters in the future. Since they are off the map they can't adopt anyone. This is just a safety precaution as sometimes named characters would gain family member status later in the game and start the adoption process up. This method can be found in the "Anti Adoption" section of my campaign script file.

- The biggest and most time consuming part is having generals spawn for each faction now that adoption has been removed. It's in the "Get Generals" section of my campaign script file, and it's several hundreds pages long.

- You'll have to manually put in defeat conditions as a faction can't be defeated if they have no family tree.

Thanks very useful

What made you decide to remove family trees? I can see why the Ghoma wouldn't have family trees. But for a human-like faction such as Ordona, why not?

If I'm not mistaken, it was primarily because it conflicted (both in technical and lore terms) with the greater emphasis put on hero characters.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Almost Fabulous View Post
    What made you decide to remove family trees? I can see why the Ghoma wouldn't have family trees. But for a human-like faction such as Ordona, why not?
    Main reason: Unique portraits for each and every single race is completely impossible with adoption in place, which to disable requires the family tree to be disabled. A few patches ago everyone had Hylian portraits until I figured it out.

zacen299's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by UndyingNephalim View Post
    Main reason: Unique portraits for each and every single race is completely impossible with adoption in place, which to disable requires the family tree to be disabled. A few patches ago everyone had Hylian portraits until I figured it out.
    Wait how did TATW pull it off than? Or am I just mis-remembering from not playing for a long time.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by zacen299 View Post
    Wait how did TATW pull it off than? Or am I just mis-remembering from not playing for a long time.
    General portraits are based on cultures rather then factions, a baffling choice Creative Assembly decided to go with. Many of the factions in TATW are similar and fit nicely in the hardcoded 7 culture limit (Men, Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, Evil Men). Since pretty much every faction in HTW is a wildly different race, it's not really possible to fit them in 7 cultures.

-Is it possible For a Later version of Hyrule Total War to have custom Empire Reports.

-I would like each race to have there on accent for the (pop ups/campaign news/Empire Reports)
    I'm listing a few ways, some race's accents could go.

Moblins; With some brutish not so elegant speech(straight forward). Like native Americans speaking English in the western movies(except they didn't sound brutish).

Zora Dominion with some elegant speech.(All Zora should have a sea culture accent, not a mainland/European style like Hyrule and Ordona will probably have.).
    Lanayru Province will be to the Zora Dominion; as Ordona Province will be to the Kingdom of Hyrule; (but with a sea/sailor tone, maybe . and not a country small town/former accent.).

Zuna; well mannered businessmen/traders.
    Lizalfos; with hissing mixed around.
    Order of the Wizzrobe; with an orthodox church/preacher speech.(may have the wrong example some thing more mellow to old monk monastery style).

Stalfos; with a hollow empty emotion feel.
    Kingdom of Ikana; hateful/revengeful/military.
    Kokiri; with a childish play and attitude.

Majora; Demanding like a god! Or feel thy wrath!

other factions
    }}}Etc Etc and so forth.....

-Like wise instead of having the counsel say you failed a mission. Have their faction culture show more for these (pop ups/campaign news/Empire Reports). Two example:
    The Kokiri giving a Kid-like "School yard/friend scolding when you fail a mission from the counsel".

The Darknuts on the other hand showing heavy disapproval and saying some thing like this "You have dishonored the Darknut Creed and are there for not fit to lead us. But because of your accomplishments we have overlooked this failure. Prove us right that our decision was not ill-fitted for your fate."

The idea is to have every faction custom reports, good and bad. And have varieties of each faction report. So if you fail the counsel missions many time or ignore them. Not only are your factions population happens and law going down the drain. But the counsel will speak their disapproval in much harsher ways. etc.
    I hope the current universal Empire Reports (mission fail/success, we are the most advanced, plague break out, etc) will be replaced with custom faction specific Empire Reports. One's that the Race would actually say. This would make the player feel that much more in game. And make the experience that much better.

-All so are people up for the final version of this mod to have a option for game language change. For example read the game in Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, French, etc, what ever the fan's native language is.

Not a priority obviously. But definitely a final touch of perfection.
    Last edited by Eldren; December 02, 2012 at 04:29 PM.