Thread: The Complete Miles Davis Quintet, 1965-68

Pra's Avatar Sir Lucious Left Foot

Default The Complete Miles Davis Quintet, 1965-68

The Miles Davis Quintet, 1965-68: The Complete Columbia Studio [BOX SET]

Miles Davis is perhaps a man who transends his genre. His contribution to music as whole, let alone jazz, has been along astronomical proportions; a Newton of the musical world, no less. His works range from the early Bop and Cool eras of Jazz to the later experimental stages of his life with *****es Brew and In A Silent Way; Miles even had a brief stint with Hip Hop, and was featured in some Music Video that I cannot recall. His works are all equally worthy, and unfortunately this particular gem is long overlooked amongst his other masterworks.

Here I present to you Miles, completely unleashed in his creative potential; constrained, it may have been by the early stylings of jazz, it was set free to explore the multifarious facets of the genre and culminated in this remarkly cerebral yet quite emotive session.

It is important to note, that Miles is not the only musical star here, he is accompanied by no less than the remarkably talented Wayne Shorter on sax, Herbie Hancock on Piano, Ron Carter on bass, and the powerful and fluent Tony Williams on drums. Such talents only further prove that Miles' greatest skill lay in his masterful ability to compose, and it was his gift of bringing together talented musicians along with his ability to compose beautiful and poignant pieces that made him the influence that he was.

Rating: 10/10

The only perfect that I may ever give.

Under patronage of Emperor Dimitricus Patron of vikrant1986, ErikinWest, VOP2288

Anagennese, the Rise of the Black Hand

MacMillan doesn't compensate for variable humidity,wind speed and direction or the coriolis effect. Mother nature compensates for where Macmillan's crosshairs are.

Nihil's Avatar Annihilationist

Default Re: The Complete Miles Davis Quintet, 1965-68

I don't know this one. I'm rather partial to *****es Brew and Live Evil myself.
    Ex Nihilo, Nihil Fit.
    Acting Paterfamilias of House Rububula
    Former Patron of the retired Atheist Peace
    Current Lineup: Jesus The Inane, PacSubCom, Last Roman, Evariste, I Have a Clever Name, Gabriella26, Markas and Katrina

I don't know this one. I'm rather partial to *****es Brew and Live Evil myself.
    :knocknock

It is important to note, that Miles is not the only musical star here, he is accompanied by no less than the remarkably talented Wayne Shorter on sax, Herbie Hancock on Piano, Ron Carter on bass, and the powerful and fluent Tony Williams on drums.
    Thats one hell of a band. Only Zappas bands approach this level of talent.

Miles was brilliant at the newport jazz festival.
    I have nothing against the womens movement. Especially when Im walking behind it.

Pra's Avatar Sir Lucious Left Foot

I've got the Newport and the Stockholm Collection. I recommend it highly. Also try the Plugged Nickel Collection, if you like a more explosive approach to the old classics.
    Under patronage of Emperor Dimitricus Patron of vikrant1986, ErikinWest, VOP2288

Anagennese, the Rise of the Black Hand

MacMillan doesn't compensate for variable humidity,wind speed and direction or the coriolis effect. Mother nature compensates for where Macmillan's crosshairs are.