View Poll Results: What factions would you like to read MOST about in the XMas release of stuff? As many choices as you like

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Imperial Kadasandra

7 33.33%
  • Imperial East

7 33.33%
  • Imperial West

7 33.33%
  • Naugiri Orcs

4 19.05%
  • Ildiri Elves

4 19.05%
  • Lindiri Elves

6 28.57%
  • Selediri Elves

5 23.81%
  • Khezdruli Dwarves

7 33.33%
  • Rhysthari Lizards

6 28.57%
  • CHitkinnen Rats

4 19.05%
  • Haladin Blood-fed

5 23.81%
  • SUn Kingdom

6 28.57%
  • Federal COuncil

4 19.05%
  • Ashapur

5 23.81%
  • Principality of STeel

7 33.33%
  • Cho Tetsu

6 28.57%
  • Iryn Thaan

8 38.10%
  • Lian Elune

3 14.29%
  • The Only CHurch

6 28.57%
  • The Fennweyr

4 19.05%
  • Badabaska

6 28.57%
  • The Wolfborn

4 19.05%
  • The Bandit Kings

8 38.10%
  • The Ward of Descati (Ghaurchlai)

5 23.81%
  • The Abyss (Cthonae)

6 28.57%
  • The Rose of War, Ilien

10 47.62%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Factions of Interest in an updated Preview

Squeaks's Avatar More full of whinging

Default Factions of Interest in an updated Preview

When we do an update on the progress of the mod since it first began, we will do a lot more, but I would like to know what factions interest you all enough to actually read their stuff when included in a preview-thing. If we put tons of crud to read then it needs to be based on what will be read or wanted; otherwise we're flailing in the dark and taking up precious space.

So here's a description of the factions (very brief) and you can choose as many options as you like (or entirely ignore it all).

FACTION LIST

THE EMPIRE

The basis of the EMpire is hugely written up. Too much to put in any preview, even if you wanted it all there. I will give a brief thing on the three Imperial Factions now. There are three factions due to the vast size and the balancing nature of the faction on the world. By splitting to three, we give them the ability for concentration of a player's plans, civil war is possible, all sorts. The Empire is ostensibly a 'good' faction and balances the world as much as it can, but has an awesome array of troops, from air cavalry, to Dragonriders to everything else.

IMPERIAL KADASANDRA

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Imperial Kadasandra is the centre of the EMpire. This is where the current Emperor holds court and where his Guard Legions garrison the capital. Consisting of the five Islands of Kadsandra, the Naval Island base of Fleet and the wards of Eastwatch and Westwatch. It is powerful, but it's intial play is probably one of the most difficult, decision-wise, for the player. They have access to some AWESOME troop types.

THE EASTERN EMPIRE

The Imperial East is beset by enemies everywhere, and few friends. It was the first to fall before the warmaster and first emperor, Valerian, and it's Legions prepare for survival.

THE WESTERN EMPIRE

The Imperial West holds great power, and would seem secure, but it is about to fall into turmoil and possibly to ruin, despite it's initial strength

Pretty difficult to capture them in one section.

THE ILDIRI

The Eldest, Elves of the Water and Air. They are called the High Elves for many reasons, and have two kingdoms. Again, a highly developed faction. Use Magic, have massive magical artillery.

THE LINDIRI

The Lindir are the Elves of the Earth, known as 'Wild Elves' by some. They live in vast tree-cities (will have a strat-map model). They changed the Animists to what they are; beasts taken by the ELves and given intelligence to act as 'herders' of their own species. Many beasties. Use Magic, have massive magical artillery.

THE SELEDIRI

The Eldest of the Sun, or Elves of the barren/hot places, the Selediri are the finest warriors there are. Tracing their memories through several lifetimes, they have the Dragonbloods, who remember and are part of the First Days...beasties and very very good warriors.Use Magic, have massive magical artillery.

THE RHYSTHARI

The Healers of the land and people, the Rhysthari live in the fecund swamps and have vast strength in magic, as well as some very powerful beasties.

THE KHEZDRULI

The Dwarven Kind. They have three Kingdoms and are very strong in combat, plus have the Gnomes; war machines that are able to think and act for themselves. They use Ley Crystals for war, and this gives them impressive power.

THE NAUGIRI

The Diluvians came form under the Earth's crust and are ferocious. Their goal is the death of every human and Dwarf, and they will instantly fall upon the Eastern Empire. They have magic, huge beasties and tons and tons of vicious warriors. They have an enemy in the Iryn Thaan, and this may split their forces enough for another to beat them, or at least hold them back.

THE IRYN THAAN

Enemies of the Naugiri, their kingdom was the first to fall to them. Joined by the Dead and the Icekith (Ice 'Elelmentals', Leopard-people etc), they have many weird troops in their ice-bound fortresses

BADABASKA

Confined to three islands, they are trapped in the fortresses within. They are under siege by the Ghaurchlai, as they have been for 1300 years, but they are vicious warriors and have the huge Baerhounds as their allies. They are certainly one of the most interesting and coolest ones.

CHO TETSU

An Island chain (an Empire to them), they are highly talented and disciplined soldiers, fanatical and unforgiving. They have just invaded the Principality and hold two settlements in their lands. They have many weird Temple Guard units and also have insectoid allies.

THE WOLFBORN

Vicious raiders on sparse islands, the WOlfborn have raided simply to survive. They have the huge Wyndlin Firs as allies, as they have the Wolf, Bear and a more secretive 'Weird' units...shape-shifters who fight as the beasts they awakened in their souls.

THE SUN KING

The Salient Sun recently rebelled against their Imperial Masters, and now stand sovereign at last. They field Rhuagh cat warriors, weird but very cool orders of soldiers and their King has Hippogriff riders as his guard. Massive Cerberines dominate the battlefield

THE BANDIT KINGDOM

A derogatory term for them, the Bandit kings are the brightest hoppe for humanity. Joined by the Ephemeral City, Solace, they stand poised for greatness...if they survive. Magic, Weasel Riders, Dwarves, religious orders by the bucket, and Void Knights

THE PRINCIPALITY OF STEEL

Never a king to wear a crown, as by Imperial edict, the Principality are a feudal society. Powerful knights, Gryphon riders, a strong and balanced faction, save for the Fennweyr.

THE FENNWEYR

Part of the Principality, nestled in the north in moors and swamps, there are clans of humans, allied with the weirdest creatures; things of fairy-tales and nightmares, they are the last of a dying wonder, feral and brutal yet massively understood to be evil when they are not.

THE ONLY CHURCH

A corrupt religion that holds vast power, they intend to slaughter an entire race. They must not bring others to their target's defence, but field Temple Knights, Seraphael and other human soldiers of the highest quality.

LIAN ELUNE

The last of the Mistirel, the natives of the Lake Kingdom, under threat by the Only CUlt. They have a mix of some human, even rebelilious Only knights, Ildiri and weirder creatures of the waters.

ASHAPUR

Slavers of the Desert, the people of the Silken Knot are poised for war. They have the warriors of the Sythys CUlt as allies, possess the pirate island of Hanghaven and their warriors and Mythic allies are hugely able. Djinn fly across the battlefield on vast carpets and the nation wars with every level of tactics at their disposal

CHITKINNEN

The Children of the White SOw, the Chitkinnen are ANimists that 'went wrong'. Mad and violent, they dabble in starnge sciences and are an explosion of hatred waiting to happen, which they will. An emergent faction.

THE FEDERAL COUNCIL

Merchants bought lands from the Boy Emperor and are an oppressive regime to say the least. They have lands on both continents, but have awoken the Ghaurchlai from their prison of Ice, thining they could control them. As Descati gains a stranglehold on their lands, the COuncil has been compromised and they are set for a vast struggle in the west and may lose all. In the east they are strong and still 'pure' of the Ghaurchlai and Descati. The West may well fall entirely, however. They hate all non-human life an dseek the power of magic from the creatures they catch, torturing them horribly. A vastly powerful faction, but beset by powerful foes. Their Penal Battallions are insane and cheap, and they can inflict horrific losses, but the West Federation is the key - hold that, and they are possibly the single most powerful faction.

THE WARD OF DESCATI

Descati was the first Ghuarchlai to be freed from the Ice, a Revenant of huge power. He leads a force called the Hounds of Hell, acting for the Federation in the West, but has replaced most of the Council with SHapestealers and is poised to conquer the Federation in a snowballing army of Ghaurchlai. He has bases in Cara Happa (the southern Ice Cap) and is unlimited in his hate and madness

THE ABYSS

The CThonae are from the AByss and are breaching the walls of Reality, seeking to enter the world and devour it. Deep in lore and vastly powerful, they must swiftly establish a power-base and bring their spawn, the Drunes into the world at speed.

THE HALADIN

Users of Bloodfed magic, controlled by the Iudruul nobility, they bind spirits of the AByss into weapons and armour and are to unleash a Blood Dimmed Tide upon the world. beginning in the Imperial East. Thye can bring Abyssal creatures into the world to supplement their armies, but must be more careful than they have been thus far in doing so. The CImrain clans may well rebel should too many of them disappear in Bloodfed Rites

ILIEN, THE ROSE OF WAR

Champion of the Federation, Ilien was taken by the dominated Federal COuncil and nailed to the walls of their capital. Rescued by her soldiers, she stands now in rebellion; she has seen the COuncil as they really are, and her banner gathers strength to her forces. She may take advantage of the Ghuarchlai attacks to gain her own power-base, or fight the Empire, or Federation and Ghaurchlai both. She is a light in the dark and the Elohim have returned to fight under her banner.

Think that's it. If not will return to it.
    Last edited by Squeaks; November 26, 2012 at 04:37 PM.

HTVfanatic's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Factions of Interest in an updated Preview

Good idea to get feedback from the fans. Vote done. Can't wait.

As many choices as we like? ALL OF THEM!!

Selediri, Bandit Kings and Illien are the ones I'm avid for to read about.

2 more posts and I can deluge you with a rep!

Quote Originally Posted by HTVfanatic View Post
    Good idea to get feedback from the fans. Vote done. Can't wait.
    Cool. I hoped it would be a good idea. Walls of stuff thrown everywhere didn't seem like the right direction, and the mod's only here for peoples' enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser Leonidas View Post
    As many choices as we like? ALL OF THEM!!
    God.

I dare say I haven't explained any very well, as I caught myself getting carried away with them, and reigned it in big-time. Looking ta the results atm, I am actually surprised by some choices or ones left out. This is really, really useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Katoneo View Post
    Selediri, Bandit Kings and Illien are the ones I'm avid for to read about.

2 more posts and I can deluge you with a rep!
    Three of the best ones. Selediri are just cool. Bandit Kings are really odd/unique and will be the best fun, weird as hell, to play, because you have absolute freedom everywhere, and have a vast amount of things to play with and choices on what to do. They're kind of the best faction in so many ways. Ilien is my absolute love. Doing her faction justice is what's sparked a lot of the progress in my skills, as I refused to not make it something special. The Chitkinnen (Rats) will be amazing if they get done properly too. Very unusual.

It's a strange thing. As one bit gets done, it opens up a lot of new things and provokes much more depth in other factions. Lian Elune and the Only Church are a bit watery in substance atm, but they're two very very cool factions. Expect a lot from them in the future. There's nothing that won't get made as good and as fully different as it can possibly be....it just changes all the time.

Torak's Avatar Libertus

ILIEN!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Torak View Post
    ILIEN!!!!!!
    Hmm. Okay. I might be able to get up to scratch on her lot. There's a ton of stuff on her, so it won't be hard

Man, was I the only one who thought the Fennweyr sounded cool? Eldritch beings of nature from a long forgotten era fighting at your command? Sounds interesting to me.

At least my second choices Iryn Thaan and Badabaska are kind of up there.

Looking forward to Christmas.
    What's life like if you don't take a chance now and then? ~ Matrim Cauthon

knight of meh's Avatar Primicerius

Just joined twcenter today and stumbled across this ... can't even begin to explain how much my mind has been blown right now..

Trying to bring some sense and order back to my mind by focusing on little things .
    I would like Ilien first not so much because of the lore , although that is pretty awesome in a sandwich , but because they seem to be taking on everyone at once and thats just got to end well .

Quote Originally Posted by deusvult6 View Post
    Man, was I the only one who thought the Fennweyr sounded cool? Eldritch beings of nature from a long forgotten era fighting at your command? Sounds interesting to me.
    Good. They're an odd one, and I like them too. They're an unusual faction really, as a whole. Quite hard to 'do' though. Glad you like 'em. I didn't explain the factions very well, but limited time and energy and stuff

At least my second choices Iryn Thaan and Badabaska are kind of up there.
    From everything everyone's said, the odd little ones are probably the most liked. Certainly, they'll offer a different experience.

Looking forward to Christmas.
    Me too, for many reasons. The main work on this is really being done by the team and a little extra help. I've done my bit as I can, but the tedious hard work is sadly (luckily) not mine in the end. It's probably the biggest effort by people you don't see much of there has been.

Quote Originally Posted by knight of meh View Post
    Just joined twcenter today and stumbled across this ... can't even begin to explain how much my mind has been blown right now..
    Really? That's nice to hear

Trying to bring some sense and order back to my mind by focusing on little things .
    I would like Ilien first not so much because of the lore , although that is pretty awesome in a sandwich , but because they seem to be taking on everyone at once and thats just got to end well .
    If you like it, there's a lot to read and find. This is a LOT of years of work; spats of frenzied fiddling and notes scrawled everywhere, then periods of not much, but always returned to - it's endless I think, probably. It seems nice to put it down where people can see it, as it's just a kind of obsessional hobby that's been burbling for about 13 years.

Ilien is probably my favourite piece of the world. She is definitely the coolest character I think. There are some people scrawled about in the long past (1300 years before 'now') that are great, but she and her followers are simply the best group here...the struggle for her faction will hopefully be the best in the campaign, if done right. I think the smaller factions WILL be the most interesting and odd; factions like the Empire will be great as a mass battle and siegey game, but Ilien, The Fennweyr, Badabaska, The Church of the Only/Lian Elune (both), The Iryn Thaan, Cho Tetsu and The Haladin will be a different experience.

I guess if you grouped the factions, then they'd be in three lots of 'size' or importance...

LARGE - More of a conquest and war game, where enemies are strong and endless. Play will be epic and many many battles and struggles.

Eastern and Western EMpire
    Ashapur
    The Federation
    The Ward of Descati/Ghaurchlai
    The Sun Kingdom
    The Naugiri
    The Principality of Steel

MEDIUM - A slightly different challenge, at a different, less mad, pace. Choose enemies rather than be presented by loads. Focused more on finding all the stuff they have and see what's really cool at their heart.

Ildiri
    Lindiri
    Selediri
    Wolfborn
    Cho Tetsu
    The Church of the Only
    Imperial Kadasandra
    Khezdruli
    The Haladin

SMALL - more unique game-play, very individual, probably very hard at first...survive that and they can do marvels

Ilien
    Badabaska
    Lian Elune
    The Fennweyr
    The Iryn Thaan
    Rhysthari
    Bandit Kingdom

DON'T FIT THE ABOVE

Chitkinnen
    The Abyss

I hope the updated 'preview', I guess 'review', will make these clearer and more interesting. I'd like to see what more can be put together afterwards if interest in certain things becomes beyond what the review can show. I found a LOAD of older stuff recently, on the Abyss, gods, tons of soldier-types that weren't included when the factions were being thought up, magic, the rest of the world...just tons of scribbled notes everywhere.

There's a large amount of stuff that can't be put in a review, simply because it's overwhelming. This thread is important, as it gives us some idea of where to concentrate things....it means we can do less on other factions, because space and loading time will be crushing otherwise. Things that are important are any screens or other graphics, because they all take loading time.

Again, if you'd like a little more here on factions you DON'T yet find interesting, then that MAY help make them interesting...there's not much given away yet in this thread, but the Review will show a lot. Afterwards, we can always do a little more. I confuse myself most of the time, so you probably have no hope

Namorath's Avatar Libertus

cant wait for this to come out
    i know its been a long time and may be awhile longer but i got medieval total war loaded up and ready to go

im most interested in the Khezdruli Dwarves and i wonder is there lands will reflect dwarven stereotypes with mountains and valleys and such. good defensive terrain on the campaign map to turtle in and build

well keep up the good work and ill be watching
    Last edited by Namorath; December 10, 2012 at 12:04 PM.

A small matter but how is "Cthonae" pronounced? K'tho-nay, S'tho-nay, or Tho-nay with the 'C' silent? I use a long 'o' as in 'shone' or is it short as in 'on'?
    What's life like if you don't take a chance now and then? ~ Matrim Cauthon

Quote Originally Posted by Namorath View Post
    cant wait for this to come out
    i know its been a long time and may be awhile longer but i got medieval total war loaded up and ready to go
    It will be a while yes. I hope it'll be worth it though, as it's likely to be quite unique is many facets. The map is unreal, units are vaguely alright, and some of the other stuff is or will be magnificent. I think that, in the new year, the emphasis may well change to getting something out. Modding is a right sod though.

im most interested in the Khezdruli Dwarves and i wonder is there lands will reflect dwarven stereotypes with mountains and valleys and such. good defensive terrain on the campaign map to turtle in and build
    They are a pretty awesome bunch to play. They're split into three kingdoms, which is their weakness, but the beginnings are there to be an incredibly strong faction. A lot of actions have certain choices to mmake that will push the game in different ways - a lot is to do with who becomes and enemy, or what troops become available or very dangerous rebellions springing up. The Western Empire has this within the first couple of turns. The Khezdruli have the issue of Gnomes, as major use of them creates trouble, but gives a lot of weight to their army.

Yes, they are in mountains. Their Holts are highly developed and difficult to attack. Most would think carefully about getting into a war with them, but they come with enemies enough to keep them busy.

well keep up the good work and ill be watching
    Okay.

Quote Originally Posted by deusvult6 View Post
    A small matter but how is "Cthonae" pronounced? K'tho-nay, S'tho-nay, or Tho-nay with the 'C' silent? I use a long 'o' as in 'shone' or is it short as in 'on'?
    It's K'tho-nay. Ka-tho-nay is similar enough. They're also known as the Blasphemy too.

I'll do a LOT on the Khezdruli for you by the way. Since you asked and are interested, I'll get the terrible trio to get a decent amount of it together for the preview thing.