Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: CVRIA activity

Default Re: CVRIA activity

Quote Originally Posted by Navajo Joe View Post

Firstly, I want to thank you for opening my mind, tbh I have never ever given a second thought to that smilie, you are absolutely right to request its removal as offensive. I would imagine if it read 'No one would have expected the Jewish Holocaust' would be blacklisted rightly for more than offensive.
    However T.O.S and its application are inconsistent, I reported a thread in SS that had profane language on the basis that this site is open to children age 12 and up, who should not be subjected this content. I reported it to a Snr Mod, who asked the poster to put a profanity warning, not good enough in my eyes as a father of two teens.

I would support this smilie's removal, good on you.
    You meant to say Bethencourt, and not ElvenKind?
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Navajo Joe's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Elvenkind,

Whoops, apologies, I saw the Wolf Avatar, thought of you, now corrected post

'Proud to be patronised by cedric37(My Father and My Guardian)

No problem, don't like taking credits for other people's posts
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Bethen has a serious wolf while elven has a mischievous wolf, never knowing what he's upto.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor of Hell View Post

On a more serious note, you really did a lot of work for this trolling, writing that wall of text and all. Nice work
    Yeah it's obviously from monty python and not meant to insult any Spanish people.
    And i think he's serious about this.

Anyways i think miskhin is also Spanish and i would like to hear his thoughts about it. Lyra is also from spain iirc.

Overall if there is much opposition for this smiley then perhaps we can have a poll here and have it removed if the majority decides that it should be that way. I'm sure most of the guys don't really mind either way but if it's bothering a few folks then it's always worth looking into.

Well mishkin was kind enough to look into this and have given a reply about this in curial commentary:
    Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    About the spanish inquisition.
    Maybe I am a very insensitive person, but I find the smiley (and the Monty Python gag) quite funny.
    The inquisition was a very sad event, but I have the impression that isnt something traumatic comparable at all to the Holocaust.
    I've never felt offended by the smiley or any joke related to the spanish inquisition, and I have the impression that is not offensive to my country.

On a side note, I could swear TWC has nothing against spaniards. (I am spanish)

Thank you Navajo Joe. English people, English common people have a very strong sense of justice and individual liberties. The thing I complaint about is the emoticon, not the Monthy Phyton piece. I find it funny at some point. I think this resource of the site was not put there after a debate and a poll. So I do not think the way to remove any of the emoticons is subject to that procedure. And really it would be more irritating, just because the use of it is plainly against the TOS. Of course hardly any historical event can compare to the holocaust, maybe the war it was part of is bigger. But the Inquisition prosecution of Jewsh was one of the historical steps to the holocaust, Germany is not the only country that had antijewish thought. Many people were tortured and murdered by the Inquisition. But not only in Spain and by this institution. The fact that emoticon with its terrible history behind is put on use to be taken in a indiscriminated way opens the way of the use of others. As I have said there are thousands of artists examples that make use of values that now we do not consider to reach the human values level. We can make jokes of all of them, but jokes loose the funny part once repeated, and no many times since first one. I have not posted about this to start a community procedure about it but to show how unfair, as all countries have something to be ashamed of and this is the only one we can use(what is the reason not to créate others? are they so wrong that they would not be aceptable? then why is this aceptable? why then a poll? Ishan is not that you proposed it, I have thought about it before you did) , how lightminded, as behind the starting joke there is a terrible historical prolongued situation that is not alone in the time and in this country. If the ones in charge of the emoticons add them and take them away not asking anyone, then I call their conscience. Anyway I think this match is lost as I did some months ago. Free as I am, many people has sacrified to be so, I decide not to continue in this site.
    Last edited by Bethencourt; February 19, 2014 at 11:46 AM.

I'm not sure why you're taking it so seriously bro. Smiley was probably added without any thought by simply keeping the monthy joke thing in mind. I doubt anyone even knows who added this and it was definitely not added to piss off or insult someone.

And no we do require a poll in such things since community can look into this matter and decide for themselves. And as you can clearly see that unlike you another Spanish guy don't see anything wrong with this and thus it's only you alone who is taking it a bit with more sensitivity, which needn't be there in the first place.

Do you personally find this smiley offensive\insulting towards Japanese\Chinese people?

Well my points are already said. I am not representative of Spanish population. But I am not either of German people and if you google "smiley Hitler" you will find some of it. I do not like them so I wont try to post them here. If any of those Hitler smileys were used here or white american confederate landholder whipping a slave smiley appeared and made official resource, I would be against it. Some people have supported me here and are not Spanish. The smiley you show has nothing to do with the matter, unless a Chinese or Japanese person comes and tells us that that is offensive because it is a salute owed by the servant/slaves to their lords and is nowadays forbiden or something similar. I have not that impression. For me is like if a matador smiley was created to represent Spanish people in someway here. That is ok for me. And it is not going to be changed, so end of the story. I find this one quite funny.
    Last edited by Bethencourt; February 19, 2014 at 04:31 PM.

We do have a Hitler smiley. Yet admins of this website are not upset about this. There's one for muslims <--And a muslim can protest that it's insulting because it looks like Laden or shows muslims as a goofy type people. Yet no one has ever had a problem with this. So you need to realize why that is so.

I get that you're upset about something but it's quite clear it's only you in this matter and so you should try to see reason why that's the case and why other Spanish posters don't mind it. Please don't leave us.

Navajo Joe's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Ishan,

I see where you coming from here, but simple fact of the matter is that the size of the Inquisition Emocion is 10 x times the size of the ones you showed. If I was Bethencourt, I would go to the Spanish Thread and see, how his countrymen feel. I would not be happy as an example if there was an emocion with a figure with an Irish flag, standing on a member of the British Royal family, it would be insulting.

'Proud to be patronised by cedric37(My Father and My Guardian)

Besides what Navajo says about the size, I do not necesarilly identify Hitler with German people, but if you put 'No one ever expects German Nazi Admin Powers' you would have quite a reaction here. Even so I do not like it, but it is GED's site, you know. You talk about why my reaction and the why is: Ishan.I have just answered to you post "wat". ( I have been member of this site since 2009, is not that long as many others are much more veteran than me. I have dealt with the icon all these years not paying too much attention to it, although every time I went to smileys I had to see it. Of course this is not the only incindent related to my nationality here I have suffered, with lack of reaction by moderation. I did leave last november really. Here I was just reacting to a post where commenting about the new DLC someone said that he liked so much in Medieval II america expansión how using the bee ammunition he saw "the bastard spanish dance".Whybastards? why isn't that part edited by moderation?. The guy apologized when I asked him just 'why the expresion "bastard spanish"?' so it is ok by that side, but what followed was that he was half Spanish, what makes me feel sad. Why does someone renounce to it Spanish origins here, in this site, in such brutal way so he looks cooler to the eyes of the rest of the posters? Last year when CA annuonced that one ofthe 9 or 8 playable factions was going to be the Iceni, a quite part of the posts where against that decision, I said that I did not feel like it being anationalistic decision, as nationalism is a concept with a meaning too far from normal national feelings that we all have, but I thought that it was a marketing decision but that it was not an iconic faction in the Historyof Rome and to the statement of CA that placing a playable faction on an island would add adifferent gameplay, I answered something like "thanks CA is not from Madagascar". Well, then some reputed English member felt offended so he spent his time searching for my nationality, which I do not show but I do not hide either. Then he answered that he ( in a inquisitorial way) had found it and how could I as Spanish critizise CA making thisdecision when the Spanish game "Imperial Glory" was worse. I found that post rather out of the planet, so I answered him that it was a game nine years old and that I would not mind the nationality of the one taking the decisión or the game designer, or something like that. But other member saw I was Spanish, so to apost of mine, he answered "I do not understand Manuelese" Manuel is aSpanish name, so he was laughing at me because of my English. I asked him to stop or I would call moderation, but he answered the same thing. I reported it and nothing happened. You can say well it is only you that are very reactive to this things. Well that day I received a PM from a member who I did not know telling me to go on with my debate and forget about this guy. . So othermember not being involved felt I was being attacked. But for moderation did not matter. The lack of moderation hurt me a lot made me feel more reactive to this kind of things Then in a november thread, talking about the use of content made by modders that had left the fórum, someone used the Spanish Inquisition meaning that we was for using the content not expecting to be punished by doing so, someone said it was correct as far as credit was given. As the previous matter had affected me,I asked not to use that term as it had nothing to do with the debate. But another guy came and laughed about the thing I was claiming so I told him he was not getting the idea. I think it was reported so my post and some others were deleted, but not the mention of the Spanish Inquisition. I sent a PM to the one moderating asking why was not this part edited, even leaving just Inquisition, because that way it would not involve a nationality. Then a debate started. So once I asked him that if the use ofother historical events like German Genocide of Jews or other things like nomatter if related was allowed, he told me that it was ok and if I did not liked the moderation I was able to post it in the moderation comment thread. Well ifhe did not matter the use of historical events I told him that instead of gointto the moderation comentary thread I would post in that thread about the use ofcontent made by others, which is normally considered piracy, that "no one expects English piracy", you, beside Monthy Python "Spanish Inquisition", even have four films made by Disney about the historical phenomenon, Johny Deep and so. Ah but this time I was permanent warned or whatever moderation technical Word you us for intention of derailing the thread.. My first 'infraction' all this time as member. Very fair. The whole thing, the whole process. You can say manuelese you can use the spanish inquisition, but you cannot use english piracy when someone wants to use the content made by a third part without permission. I feel I was not the one being judged there. Then I asked the owner of this site to remove that icon, Have you receive the answer? I haven't. So adiós amigos. And daamm! it feels sad! look at the units I have posted here in this thread. They are not the best units ever, but I put them here to show what I as member of the curia was making to contribute to this site, they are all British units.
    Last edited by Bethencourt; February 20, 2014 at 01:08 PM.

@NJ
    Attacking or insulting nations is not against the terms of service of this website. Since countries are not actual individuals that can feel being insulted. A person may be offended depending how much sensitive he is on a particular subject but unless the majority feels the same way about it, nothing is going to be done about it. And i can imagine, you can very well see the reason behind this. Members like Garb or someone similar are more suited to explain these things.

@Bethen
    "bastard spanish" thingy. You're not a native speaker so there may be a chance that something is being lost in context here. The game was americas campaign and here in that context he was talking about Spanish conquistadors or that faction in Americas. You can see similar comments about HRE where people are saying "Bloody Germans", "ing christians\muslims\pagans" etc etc.

In any case it seems the issue here is more related to the subject of Spanish nationalism which can be attacked by anyone, although i'm certain that's not what that emoticon is doing or is intended to do. Unless you have some Spanish members supporting you, that it's insulting towards Spanish people you don't have any case i'm afraid. If it's about Spain, then as i said, attacking nations has always been allowed. I guess USA\Americans taking the most flak here, where the site owner is an American, which further goes to reinforce what i said earlier.

Btw i would appreciate if you can use line breaks in your sentences & make regular paras. Your posts are a bit hard to read otherwise, for me at least.

1. Insulting Others (1, 3, or 6 points)
    2. Posts clearly insulting other board members, individually or as a group, directly or indirectly, are not allowed. This includes, but is not limited to:
    3. Name-calling ("You're an idiot", "You moron")

• Direct insults ("Screw you")
    • Offensive orders ("Go kill yourself", "Shut up")
    • Using threatening, harassing, defamatory, hate-speech, or libelous language
    • Using race, religion, sexual orientation, culture, ethnicity, handicap, nationality, or gender as a means of insult, either directly or implied
    • Insinuations ("Are you stupid or something?") or insults towards family ("Your mom...")

1. Instead, members should criticize the post, not the poster. SEGA, the Creative Assembly, and related bodies are considered board members for this purpose, since some of them are. You can still criticize their games without insulting them personally. Can you explain me what you have posted at the light of this term of service? By the way I cannot use paragrhaps as if the site has turned back to previous server situation for which solution many peolpe gave money. I am not nationalist, but I have national feelings as anyother one that are protected in this term of service. Or is this all false? It is starting to look like.
    Last edited by Bethencourt; February 20, 2014 at 04:56 PM.

I'm trying to point out that in certain context "Spanish" or "Indians" could mean something else which can't be viewed as insulting towards Indians or Spanish and so on. Like say in a discussion on Indian Mutiny of 1857, certain British posters can say like "ing rebels", in that context they aren't insulting present day Indians and discussing that particular incident etc. And yes attacking or insulting a nation is okay ToS wise:
    • India can kiss my arse.
    • India is a shitehole.
    • India is the most disgusting nation in the world.
    • Ewww third world country, piece of shite.

etc.
    Obviously, as always, time, place and context also matter. So depending on where these sentences are being used it can be disruptive if there is no actual discussion on India and the member is simply saying it to disrupt the thread.

Anyways that smiley doesn't conflict with anything mentioned in ToS. If you want to know more about why insulting of nations etc is allowed, which is a different matter, then you need to talk to moderation overseers since they know more than anyone else about rules and the reasoning behind it.

Because i could very well be wrong about somethings so always better to get it clarified from the right people.

The thing is that I have tested it in real situation in this site, so in the same context one nationality was named and when I named another I was permanently warned. Now I permanently know that in the same context unless it is supported by Monthy Phyton, you cannot name a nationality. At least that is what I concluded within my ignorance from very expert members. Now what I need is to happily put it in practice in real life. Because......... always look at the bright side of life I just hope not to get blind because of it. Anyway, beware of me coming through. The Inquisition was not so funny after all. And this one is in Italy. I like the voices of the Spanish actors. The English original scene is divided in two videos so I posted this one where you can understand what is the mood.
    Last edited by Bethencourt; February 23, 2014 at 10:01 AM.

You're mistaken in your testings. Insulting nations is perfectly within the remits of ToS, and it really depends on whether someone is really pushing this to disrupt the thread.
    And if you got a warning and you feel it was unfair then you can appeal it, i don't think there's any time limit to that, although all infractions do expire after 3 months.

No I am not, I have lived it. And if the criteria is shown in such way why would I go to a procedure controlled by the ones that think is good. I can go but I can decide not to go too. I have made my judgement of the situation. And I have my sentence. It is not the warning what boders me, because in such case it has no value for me, it is the unfair situation and all I said in previous posts.
    Last edited by Bethencourt; February 23, 2014 at 10:35 AM.

You're assuming too much from your own side and there's little i can do when you only want to see what you want to see. I never said that anyone in staff thinks of these loopholes as "good". Or that they have placed this emoticon especially to goad Spanish members.

And like i said, it's a community, here staff has to see what's right for the community and not a single person. They won't cater things to a single member, none of us are that special. Unless there is a majority of Spanish members who feel offended from this emoticon it's not going to removed. I asked 2 Spanish members and both of them don't care about it and don't see anything wrong in it.

If i had the power to remove it then i would without a thought because i don't see a big deal either way but once it's brought like this publicly then it shows that a single member can have his way and change anything on TWC according to his sensibilities and that's just bad because then everyone would want something removed from this site.

And you are denying other facts, as I am not alone and that you are not answering to my idea of what would be to créate other nationality related icons with historical and artists background, like the ones I posted ealier. Then ask people if they care or not. But as I said this not going to happen so I do not care any site procedure about it because it is not going to happen and so it is not going to be changed. I was just answering you post wat and the other sayin I had to see why I am reacting. I think all these things have already been said. So for me this debate is over.

Which facts have i denied\dodged?
    And feel free to suggest any national icons you want to propose to the community. Like i said, both addition\removal of icons\emoticons is in the hands of this community. If they want then they can have a vote and let site administration add it, if it passes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethencourt View Post
    I was just answering you post wat and the other sayin I had to see why I am reacting. I think all these things have already been said. So for me this debate is over.
    And i only posted because of your post #76 in huge font. Where you are complaining that staff doesn't care about your contributions, officially supports an offensive joke and tolerates insults against Spanish members, which is completely false. As if staff is ignorant and have some sort of prejudice against Spanish people.