Thread: Marian Reform

Caligula Caesar's Avatar Horse Lord

Default Marian Reform

I've now coded in the Marian Reform. It is based on the RTR-VII script, but with changes, recognising the different needs of my map.

The Marian Reform should basically remove the Roman hastati, principes and triarii, and replace them with a single (stronger) legionary unit. As a side effect, equites will no longer be recruitable, as they fell into disuse (foreign cavalry units were favoured).

The conditions are the following:

-Have at least three huge cities in Italy
    -Complete a certain amount of territorial expansion, as illuminated by this map:

Basically, fourteen territorial "points" are required. A point is obtained by capturing the amount of settlements in an area as the numbers on the map indicate for that region. Italy counts as three points, and the others highlighted count two. This means that, should you capture those areas, you will only need to conquer three other areas. Thus, a recreation of the historical Empire during the Republic will trigger the reforms, but so will deviations from it, should you, say, feel the urge to head for Germania, Gaul and Britain, or maybe take Egypt early.

This will be released in the next patch I just need to finish some work on the government system, which will hopefully help the economic situation, and balance some Greek units
    Last edited by Caligula Caesar; November 20, 2012 at 04:03 PM.
    RTR-VII Team Leader and Leader of Fortuna Orbis, an RTR Submod

"History has only one concern and aim, and that is the useful; which again has one single source, and that is truth." -Lucian of Samosata

Fortuna Orbis Beta is released!

Default Re: Marian Reform

Let me see if I understand it:

I get three points for holding 8 cities in Italy.
    I get 2 points for holding 5 cities in Nearer Spain.
    I get 2 points for holding 6 cities in Asia Minor.
    Etc.

Is that right?

That means that everything inside the yellow circle equals 11 points, so you would need 3 more points (not 3 more areas) to activate the Marian reforms, correct?

Sorry I'm having trouble getting my mushy brain around it.

And thanks again for this mod. I'm really looking forward it!

Caligula Caesar's Avatar Horse Lord

Default Re: Marian Reform

Yeah, that's right. I mean area as in the points for that area

Edit: I've also just partly blanked out the non-relevant parts of the map. It isn't the prettiest solution, but ah well
    Last edited by Caligula Caesar; November 20, 2012 at 04:05 PM.
    RTR-VII Team Leader and Leader of Fortuna Orbis, an RTR Submod

"History has only one concern and aim, and that is the useful; which again has one single source, and that is truth." -Lucian of Samosata

Fortuna Orbis Beta is released!